Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Shoud Univesty come with another age

So we have toddlers, children, Teens, young adults, Adults and Elders but I think we are missing a stage from 16/17 to about 20 you are at an odd stage you are not a kid anymore and not a teen but you also don't feel like am Adult (it's before the Ya stage) I call this stage the pre- Adult Stage I Remember feeling this way in college(A-level) and University. It's an important part of our lives and is missed out in the Sims I think a university pack would be the perfect time to add this overlooked stage in our lives what do you think?

Comments

• Options
    NekoboyGamesNekoboyGames Posts: 37 Member
    Tweens. not a child and not a teen. I feel like there is a gap between child and teen. Or maybe middle age, something between 50 and 70. I feel it so weird that adults suddenly have bad backs and sloppy walkstyle as soon as they age into elders.
  • Options
    ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    The teens in the game look to be around 18 so I'd say we do have that stage. University already has the stage it needs; Young Adults. Any new ages that they add should be younger ones imo, like pre-teens or an age between toddler and child. That said, I don't see them adding a new age group.
  • Options
    alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member
    No! That would be such a waste of time to add a new age.
  • Options
    PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    No. There's no need to add any new age group.
  • Options
    annaliese39annaliese39 Posts: 2,797 Member
    I don't personally feel this is needed as YA covers that for me. I wouldn't mind pre-teens being added at some point though, but honestly I'm more interested in the age groups we have already being developed. Babies, teens and elders could definitely benefit from some attention. When University arrives, I hope we can have 'mature students' too i.e. adults and elders that want to better their education.
  • Options
    CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    doogerie wrote: »
    I think we are missing a stage from 16/17 to about 20 you are at an odd stage you are not a kid anymore and not a teen but you also don't feel like am Adult (it's before the Ya stage) I call this stage the pre- Adult Stage I Remember feeling this way in college(A-level) and University. It's an important part of our lives

Maybe it was an important part of your life but I never went through such a stage. After I finished high school I pretty much felt like a young adult. Obviously not the same kind of adult who works and pays a mortgage and has a family but that's why the separation between young adults and adults exists.
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • Options
    AnmirlaAnmirla Posts: 3,836 Member
    edited April 2019
    No. No.
    *had to repeat because "Body is 2 characters too short." or...maybe just...No. No.
    baby%20bat_zpsgzvzhrnc.gif
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    No. I was making 2 long bus journeys through London from the age of 12 to get to school, when probably what Maxis would call a Tween. I was out working in the real world at the age of 17, paying towards my pension at 18 and considered myself an adult from then on so don't like the idea of another young stage at all. Had to provide for myself at 19/20 as left orphaned and well able to as my brother and I supported one another.

I wouldn't have minded being called "young adult" or even Teenager but Tween never! An ugly word and another pre-teen is also.
  • Options
    BluelleBluelle Posts: 327 Member
    Absolutely not. 16/17 is teen, so is 18, so is 19. Adding new ages are a waste of time.
  • Options
    Jon the WizardJon the Wizard Posts: 268 Member
    Nah, we've got all the ages we need.
  • Options
    MLadyAzzeraMLadyAzzera Posts: 1,174 Member
    edited April 2019
    This is a very interesting question, because obviously Uni is going to take up some of your sims lifespans. I'm hoping they will stop aging when you get to the campus, either that or extend the amount of days the sim is a young adult, that way college and non-college sims live for the same length.

I would prefer they extend the adult age, because I feel that there isn't enough time as an young adult/adult. I usually have my sims have children when they have grown to an adult, and they are elders and dying by the time their kids are in their teens.

I'm assuming the adult phase in this game is similar to the age range 32-55 (varying end age due to fertility)...life span of the average American is 78...so even if you had your kid at 55, your kid would be 23, clearly a young adult and not a teen. Why I'm so picky about this, I have no idea, it just bothers me :#
  • Options
    jcp011c2jcp011c2 Posts: 10,861 Member
    Going by American terms, College or University is typically 18-23 (or 24 now since it takes more than 4 years to get through.) Granted you have a few a little younger @17 and some prodigies and many students who are now older than 23-24 in college/going back to college, but most of it is still in that age range. To me, that IS young adult.

I think what many countries call University is what Americans refer to as high school - ages 14-18, please correct me if I'm wrong. To me that's teenage. I guess it depends on how to define university. From what Sims 2 and 3 showed it's definitely more the American version.

Please know I mean know offense by comparisons, no abject nationalism or anything, just comparing the same word in two different cultures and how it's represented in the game.
    It's kind of sad that I have to point out that anything I say is only just my opinion and may be a different one from someone else.
  • Options
    aprilroseaprilrose Posts: 1,832 Member
    I don't think so but I do think babies, children, teens and elders could use an upgrade
    Simming for 19 years!
    Family Tree
    Playing Mod & CC Free

• Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    edited April 2019
    jcp011c2 wrote: »
    Going by American terms, College or University is typically 18-23 (or 24 now since it takes more than 4 years to get through.) Granted you have a few a little younger @17 and some prodigies and many students who are now older than 23-24 in college/going back to college, but most of it is still in that age range. To me, that IS young adult.

I think what many countries call University is what Americans refer to as high school - ages 14-18, please correct me if I'm wrong. To me that's teenage. I guess it depends on how to define university. From what Sims 2 and 3 showed it's definitely more the American version.

Please know I mean know offense by comparisons, no abject nationalism or anything, just comparing the same word in two different cultures and how it's represented in the game.

It's a bit different in the United Kingdom and even Scotland and Ireland differ. We are a hotchpotch of types! (Info. From various sites)

Schools in the UK can be ... Faith, Free, Academies, City technology colleges,State boarding schools and private schools. (some called Public Schools for the elite or bursary students, like Eton, Harrow, etc.) I, myself, went to a Grammar school (needed exam pass at 11) and these have been mainly weeded out now.

In the UK, children are required to attend school between the ages of 5 and 16. The overall education system is divided into primary, secondary, further and higher education
    Ages 4-11
    Children attend primary school (Years Reception to 6).

Ages 11-16
    Children attend secondary school (Year 7–11).
    At age 16, students take GCSE exams covering Maths, English Language, English Literature and Sciences, and other chosen subjects.

Ages 16-18
    Students attend college / sixth form.
    They can choose to take A levels, a type of further education qualification, if they want to go to university.

Then University for the over 18's or anyone older with the money to pay for Open University which anyone can apply for and you can study at home.

hth.
  • Options
    BunnycatmumBunnycatmum Posts: 40 Member
    No. People typically go to university between the ages of 18 and 21/22 so teen and YA both cover that imo. If they do add another lifestage I think it should be tweens as the jump from child to teen is too jarring (maybe they could do a general education pack instead of just university and tweens could be added for middle schools?).
  • Options
    izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    edited April 2019
    No need, didnt young adult ranged from 18-25 yo?
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • Options
    MegaGirlBossMegaGirlBoss Posts: 28 Member
    No. I don't feel they need too. I feel teen and YA cover university ages 18-23.
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,973 Member
    I would rather see a tween age, and an age between adult and elder..... there is too big a jump between children and teens and too big a jump between adult and elder,
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    No, that would be hustling backwards
  • Options
    rinre33rinre33 Posts: 697 Member
    I rather they focus on a new world and education based game play (maybe teaching as a new job?). Seeing how uninspiring aliens in gtw were I would rather have new life stages/states come in their own dedicated lacks or as a major feature elsewhere
  • Options
    GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,208 Member
    Nah, because that would probably mean you can only go to university at that age, which I hated about TS2. I don't know how university works in the US, or even if we all mean the same thing when we use that word, but where I live, you can get a degree at any age once you've finished regular school; if you didn't have the time or means necessary to start university at 19/20, as most people do, you can still do it at 30, or 40, or even as an elder. I'd like to have the same freedom with university in The Sims.

Also, I don't see the point in yet another adult life stage, let alone one between teen and young adult. They're indistinguishable enough as it is. If something's missing, it's a stage between child and teen, but that has nothing to do with university.
  • Options
    mikamika Posts: 1,733 Member
    No. We have all the lifestages necessary. Anything else would be a waste of resources and leave us with less in a pack.
  • Options
    invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    I don't want another age, but I would like to have teens start university in the second half of their teenhood. And I want options there - I want to send my teen off to university (but not have to follow her - but that can also be an option), have her live at home and go to classes each day, or take online classes. Maybe the tipping point could be a teen who has an 'A' in school and has maxed out the 'responsibility' trait is eligible to start university. It could be something like early graduation, which is available in some schools in the US.

As others have mentioned, many of the lifestages need work, so I'd rather not have a new one created. Give babies, teens and elders some love, instead.
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Yes, middle age. Instead of young adults going off to college this time it should be like a middle aged crisis (since we didn't get that in Parenthood) where Sims suddenly decide they need to return to school, to finish a degree they never got around to earning. A big crisis they need to switch jobs, because they are in a middle aged crisis and wondering if they are wasting their life at the same job, the same schedules etc. This time they should really focus on other options to earn a degree (please no internet Sim PC usage to get that degree) but all about the middle aged Sim wondering is this all there is sort of pack.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.