Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Traits are broken and we all need to admit it

WulfsimmerWulfsimmer Posts: 4,381 Member
edited March 2019 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
The whole traits system needs to be reworked and updated in a patch.

Most of them are not actually traits (vegetarian, cat-lover, etc...) and we shouldn't sacrifice a slot out of the already limited 3 slots for such a little preference. It's really flawed in that way.

For the other traits that do affect personality, they are mostly just...moodlets. That's it. I miss traits that affect the sims themselves and those around themself. As of now, they, for the majority, only affect them. Jealousy needs to be more severe and cause actual trouble in the relationship. Clumsiness should cause an occasional fall over another sim during a conversation and result in either a positive or negative reaction. You can get my point with these two quick examples.

Make a seperate section in CAS for preferences and leave room for actual traits to be used. These traits need to actually show through observing the sim when interacting with them rather than through a notification. The Sims 3, in my personal opinion, had the best traits. The sims were actually distinct.

For my last request, we should be forced to pick a negative trait of different severity for at least one sim in a household when first starting a game (for example: ranging from, arguably, snobbish to evil). Same for childs with bad grades (tbh, I forgot if this is an actual thing in TS4. It was in TS3 at least.)
Random-gifs-random-18723411-368-312.gif

WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY?
Post edited by Wulfsimmer on

Comments

• Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,406 Member
    I have hoped for an update but my hope is slipping. There should definitely be more than moodlets to the traits. I don't really agree about the forced negative traits though or even the categorization. The way I view it is that most traits have some positive and negative aspects.
  • Options
    alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member
    edited March 2019
    I completely agree about the weak traits. It's like they are "scared" to make really strong and noticeable ones! I actually like the "paranoid" trait that comes with Strangerville because I've noticed that trait in other sims before I even realized they had it. They look over their shoulders a lot and act like a paranoid person would actually act. Those are exactly the type of traits we need more of. We should be able to observe a sim for a while and start being able to list what traits they possess. That would be true sign of successful trait implementation in the game! You mentioned "jealousy" and that is actually the strongest and most noticeable trait in the game. I agree that it should had another layer and be able to cause more problems in relationships.
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    I very much doubt they will give the trait system an overhaul at this late stage. Especially since it basically needs scrapping and doing again better.

My personal hope is that they do something much better in sims 5, utilising some of the good bits from sims 2 and 3.
  • Options
    Akl500PAkl500P Posts: 2,986 Member
    I agree with weak traits. I feel like there are more times than not that I have to make up my own story with the sims traits. They don’t make a huge difference in personality because most emotions are overrun by the happy one.
  • Options
    Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    edited March 2019
    musteni wrote: »
    I get their point about more traits making sims more the same. I don't necessarily want more trait slots, just traits with more impact.

I agree with this. I want hot headed Sims to have trouble making & maintaining relationships, the same with mean ones. Sims who hate kids should genuinely seem to dislike them and so on. Right now everyone seems overtly happy 90% of the time.
    Post edited by Pamtastic72 on
  • Options
    SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    I do wish traits affected more Nd and you could have more, but completely disagree about being forced to give ppl a negative trait in your household. If ppl want negative traits they can use them but for me it would completely make me lose interest in the game. I want most my households to have only good traits
  • Options
    SimpkinSimpkin Posts: 7,425 Member
    i dunno... the jealous trait is insane really. I only had it on an npc once and it was the first time I went into cas and changed it. It was too impactful. Don't want traits like this again.
    But something inbetween the rest and the jealous would be nice. I like how the vegetarian one makes sims feel sick though and I like to see my compassinoate sim feel bad when being mean. But more would be nice.
    Seasons toggle button in build mode poll. Vote now please! :)
  • Options
    izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    There are lot of threads similar talking about traits and personality system for the past 2 weeks, I really hope they listened to us this time, it's getting tiresome to play with sims with no personality in the game and only myself that have to 'create' the supposed personality for my sims instead of the trait itself.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • Options
    SimpkinSimpkin Posts: 7,425 Member
    edited March 2019
    @izecson um they listen to us all the time lol no point in not listening cause they won't make any money then.
    Seasons toggle button in build mode poll. Vote now please! :)
  • Options
    MaiaPlaysSimsMaiaPlaysSims Posts: 218 Member
    Yeah. The traits suck. Most of them are quite generic. So...I have downloaded over ome hundred new ones using mods. It has helped my gameplay so far. It's super nice. I dont know how people can play the game without mods.
  • Options
    izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    Simpkin wrote: »
    @izecson um they listen to us all the time lol no point in not listening cause they won't make any money then.

they seems to be silent when talking about this particular topic
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • Options
    PegasysPegasys Posts: 1,135 Member
    edited March 2019
    I would like to see more trait-specific idle animations and whims.

I started playing Ted Roswell, who is Paranoid, and I love the idle animation that comes with that. The trait funnels into a "Tense" moodlet which like so many other traits, but there are a couple of new interactions. I just wish the new interactions had new animations with them as well (for example, the "Share Conspiracy Theory" animation is exactly the same as another interaction, and they could have picked a better animation in my opinion).

I would like to see more Evil whims as well, Evil is not evil enough I think. Genius is another one that outside of the Focused moodlet, doesn't do a whole lot. Now -- if they added the ability the Inventor ability like in Sims 3, then tied an Invention station to the Genius trait, that would be... well... genius!
  • Options
    @Pamtastic72 The tweets today are what actually got me to put up this thread :)

WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY?
  • Options
    I do wish traits affected more Nd and you could have more, but completely disagree about being forced to give ppl a negative trait in your household. If ppl want negative traits they can use them but for me it would completely make me lose interest in the game. I want most my households to have only good traits

Exactly my point. Why would you ever pick a negative trait? There is no incentive. Being forced to do so would spice things up, just like vampires. Again, it would only affect one sim from the entire household.

WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY?
  • Options
    CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    Wulfsimmer wrote: »

Exactly my point. Why would you ever pick a negative trait? There is no incentive. Being forced to do so would spice things up, just like vampires. Again, it would only affect one sim from the entire household.

Isn't "spicing things up" the incentive then? I don't understand why anyone would want to be forced to do something compared to having the choice to.
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • Options
    filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member
    I agree, they need to redo how traits make sims behave, each trait should have a variety of impacts on the sim, from what they do during the day, how they act and what they say to other sims, and how other sims react to your own sims socializing. Each trait should have a list of options in various categories, "an evil sim tends to do the following actions... tends to prefer these situations... tends to socialize with sims with the following traits... tends to avoid sims with the following traits... tends to be mean/nice to sims with the following traits... tends to react with a positive emotion in the following situations... tends to react with a negative emotion in the following situations..." and so on, along with idle behaviours/animations. Recent traits like Vegetarian, Paranoid and Self Centred are a lot more powerful/impactful on the sims than many base game traits. All traits need to meet the same standard, and many of them don't.
  • Options
    edited March 2019

I also refuse to buy the vampires pack, I don't want it. People pick negative traits because they want their sims to have stories where it would do it, or they like to play the bad guy, or they just want a trait that seems realistically bad... I don't want anyone in my household to have it so if they forced us to have negative traits I just buy the game haha! Why would I play a game where I was forced to play a way I didn't want to? I seen lots of people say they play with negative traits on purpose because they like to. Having the choice is perfect for people that want to or don't.
  • Options
    filipomel wrote: »
    I agree, they need to redo how traits make sims behave, each trait should have a variety of impacts on the sim, from what they do during the day, how they act and what they say to other sims, and how other sims react to your own sims socializing. Each trait should have a list of options in various categories, "an evil sim tends to do the following actions... tends to prefer these situations... tends to socialize with sims with the following traits... tends to avoid sims with the following traits... tends to be mean/nice to sims with the following traits... tends to react with a positive emotion in the following situations... tends to react with a negative emotion in the following situations..." and so on, along with idle behaviours/animations. Recent traits like Vegetarian, Paranoid and Self Centred are a lot more powerful/impactful on the sims than many base game traits. All traits need to meet the same standard, and many of them don't.

I mean some of that is in the game, like an evil sin will get a happy mood but anytime somebody else is sad. But yeah they could do a bit more with them
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    Well Grant, with 3 traits they might not trip over themselves but they certainly aren’t distinct. What would adding another trait or two do? Make Sims rapidly shift emotions? Well they already do that so I say go for it. It’s not like personality traits have an actual effect on a Sim’s personality in this game.
  • Options
    KaronKaron Posts: 2,332 Member
    The whole traits system needs to be reworked and updated in a patch.

Most of them are not actually traits (vegetarian, cat-lover, etc...) and we shouldn't sacrifice a slot out of the already limited 3 slots for such a little preference. It's really flawed in that way.

For the other traits that do affect personality, they are mostly just...moodlets. That's it. I miss traits that affect the sims themselves and those around themself. As of now, they, for the majority, only affect them. Jealousy needs to be more severe and cause actual trouble in the relationship. Clumsiness should cause an occasional fall over another sim during a conversation and result in either a positive or negative reaction. You can get my point with these two quick examples.

Make a seperate section in CAS for preferences and leave room for actual traits to be used. These traits need to actually show through observing the sim when interacting with them rather than through a notification. The Sims 3, in my personal opinion, had the best traits. The sims were actually distinct.

For my last request, we should be forced to pick a negative trait of different severity for at least one sim in a household when first starting a game (for example: ranging from, arguably, snobbish to evil). Same for childs with bad grades (tbh, I forgot if this is an actual thing in TS4. It was in TS3 at least.)

vegetarian should be part of the Favourites, within favorite foods.
  • Options
    KaronKaron Posts: 2,332 Member

I don't get his point. If WE are complaining, there is a problem there. They should lsiten to us and give us something we are paying for. argh. If the traits seem to merge together is because Sims 4 traits are bad developed, look at sims 3. omg.
    Maybe they should rework the trait slot entirely, forcing you to choose one trait that changes your sims general emotion, another one that helps your sim in a certain skill (like natural talent or something like that), one that changes a sim behaviour (like the paranoid one that your sim is always suspicious of something lurking behind their backs), one that helps social interaction in different ways (like Romance, Self-Absorbed... etc...). and more things like that.
    I agree with your idea of a negative trait as well... Nobody is perfect. Maybe, jsut as an example, i could create a sim that is jsut romantic, like in real love or something, but he's a little bit gloomy. Or, I could totally end up creating a Don Lothario kinda guy by choosing his bad trait as non-commital. That's how one trait should affect the other.
    I would like to figure out a way to let you guys pick 1-5 traits. Just need time to do so.
    @SimGuruGrant Then, here it is... Thats what i think would work the best.
  • Options
    GrynnGrynn Posts: 260 Member
    The Sims 3 has 5 trait slots but it's full of traits like "Cat Lover" and even worse those traits which are just boosters for specific skills.

Meanwhile The Sims 4 has 3 personality traits + 1 booster trait and at first my opinion was that yes, it is an improvement to have 3 strong traits instead of 5 weak traits, but now The Sims 4 is getting full of "Cat Lover" traits as well. I never use Cat Lover, Dog Lover or Vegetarian because I always feel like those are taking the place of a REAL trait.

Well, right now The Sims 4 traits has many traits which are really, REALLY weak, Bookworm by instance, all it does is add yet another way to gain a Inspired moodlet and that's all, really, JUST IT, because the two social interactions it adds are flavor only, it's just chatting with another name.

Not all Traits are badly done, I like the new one, Paranoid, really, if every trait in the game right now would be as good as Paranoid then that would be an huge improvement already. You can tell if a Sim is paranoid just by observing his in-game behavior, that's the baseline the developers should follow with the traits.
  • Options
    WallSims4everWallSims4ever Posts: 755 Member
    Saddly this is the biggest flaw of The Sims 4, and, honestly, it's my only complaint about it. I can understand not having open worlds and color wheels, but the sims personalities was a HUGE unexplainable step back from The Sims 3.