Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Everyone should be worried (Strangerville discussion)

Comments

• Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    edited April 2019
    @Cinebar So if you didn't fill the wants in TS2 what would happen? Your sim would go into aspriation failure. So yes you did have to fill enough wants for that not to happen. The game directed you in that way. I agree to each their own, but I didn't want to be directed by wants and fears and still don't.
    I agree that I wish there was some way to keep sims from straying romantically but it has been tweaked quite a bit from the start of the game. If you are out and about and your sim just starts flirting with another or visa-versa they can end up in the negative relationship wise quite quickly. I'm not sure what they in tuning did but sims get shot down more often now. Since I often play serial romantics I'm pretty aware that it's simply harder now that it was in the past, you have to set up for it with more forethought than before. That is obviously due to feedback.

I have to add in what I am worried about with them adding in an attraction system has to do with premades. Like if the game picks that Mortimer likes chubby blondes and the game picks that Bella likes unemployed bald men... it could be funny at first, but there has to be a way out.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    AineAine Posts: 3,043 Member
    edited April 2019
    @Hermitgirl In the sims 2, you chose all the attraction traits for the premades, you received a potion that you could drink to change them. With Sims 4 I would hope they add the traits to CAS, so you can add and change them there.

Also, I don't understand why you don't want to fill sims needs? You still have to do that in Sims 4. And @Cinebar wasn't talking about needs, just the attraction system, which you could definitely choose to act on or not, it was up to the player, as most things in Sims 2 - it was only the needs that you needed to fill, just as in Sims 4, everything else is optional.
    Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
  • Options
    Aine wrote: »
    @Hermitgirl In the sims 2, you chose all the attraction traits for the premades, nothing was automated.

Also, I don't understand why you don't want to fill sims needs? You still have to do that in Sims 4. And @Cinebar wasn't talking about needs, just the attraction system, which you could definitely choose to act on or not, it was up to the player, as most things in Sims 2 - it was only the needs that you needed to fill, just as in Sims 4, everything else is optional.

I'm not talking about filling sims needs... although in Sims 2 they were harder to fill. You couldn't make it to bedtime before they needed a nap. I'm talking about wants and fears. If you did not follow some of the wants and keep them away from fears your sim would go into aspiration failure... or am I remembering that wrong?
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    @Hermitgirl No, needs weren't that hard in Sims 2, not that I can remember anyway. You had to be on top of things, but you just had to drink that coffee and stuff, if you were out too long. :D

Are you talking about when Sims needs would get too low and they'd get desperate? That wasn't from the wants and fears, that was from too low needs. If a sim didn't get their social need filled, they get a visit from the social bunny - stuff like that?
    Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
  • Options
    @Hermitgirl No, needs weren't that hard in Sims 2, not that I can remember anyway. You had to be on top of things, but you just had to drink that coffee and stuff, if you were out too long. :D

Are you talking about when Sims needs would get too low and they'd get desperate? That wasn't from the wants and fears, that was from too low needs.

No again I'm talking about the aspiration system and the wants and fears wheel. You had to as a player fill some wants and avoid fears... if you didn't your aspiration bar would go down... or even tank if you hit some particularly nasty fear. Then your sim would go into aspiration failure. To me that system is in no way supportive of sandbox type play... you had to do it. I'm not saying you had to do everything in it, but you had to do some of it. The wants and fears rolled around anew each day after you sim slept. You could lock a few things (and later you were provided more locks if you completed college).
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    RobinGreenthumbRobinGreenthumb Posts: 237 Member
    Ah, any remember the family aspiration failure of the flour bag baby? And if it got REALLY bad the shrink flying down?

pleasure.gif

Heh. I rarely had it happen but on occasion I would purposefully nuke a sims’ aspiration for story purposes.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    @Hermitgirl Ah, yes ofcourse. I love that. I don't think I've ever had an aspiration failure - I always chose the aspirations I wanted for the sims, and it doesn't really drop that fast, so you can easily wait for the wants and fears you like. I don't see the problem honestly. I just loved that Sims had fears of things - it made it more impactful when they actually were happy and they fulfilled their aspiration. I can't relate at all to wanting just what we have now in Sims 4 where there are no danger or consequences. The aspirations mean nothing to me, they're boring and meaningless. I don't think I've ever finished one, all this time I've played Sims 4. I wish we could have more in depth personalities, and better aspirations with wants and fears. That would be my dream for Sims 4. In Sims 2 you even could have two aspirations (that came with a pack) at once that determined the wants fears - that could get really interesting. :p
    Allons-y!

• Options
    So basically you are saying you do like that sort of directed play @Aine. That's fine but it's still directed play. Some of us like direction or guidance in other ways. The aspirations that come in Sims 4.... I hop around with. I only use them for guidance if I feel like it. Usually I just flip to the aspiration my sim is actually doing and build those points that way. It flows so much easier for me and they get those things done. I don't have to complete any of them. I can complete some parts of them if I want.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    @Hermitgirl It's not 'directed' play to me at all. I don't know what you're talking about honestly. I just want some challenge, that is all. I can work around it and make it what I want, I just want it to be challenging and meaningful when I succeed. Sims 4 is too easy and boring to me - I wish we could get some real challenge and have the chance of failure. In Sims 2, if something didn't go the way I wanted, I'd reload the game from the last save and do it again. Simple as that. Makes the game much more interesting. I'm sure you reload saves all the time now too - Sims 2 just made it more of a challenge, but you still had the tools to do it whatever you wanted - in Sims 4 I can't even do the stuff I'd want. Dates doesn't even work well in Sims 4 for one. I'd trade the entire Sims 4 just to have the Sims 2 dates back. And I never really even reload the game in Sims 2 that much, because the tools to make the game what I wanted was there, I just needed to be prepared and think ahead. I loved that about Sims 2. I wish we could get some challenge and some meaning in Sims 4 - not packs like Strangerville that adds nothing.
    I'd rather have chance of failure and that sims have their own thoughts and feelings about things, than the happy dappy psychedelic constant smiling sims we have now. With no mods, I get frustrated just wanting my sims to stop smiling. I just want sims to have more realistic emotions, even if it means they feel things on their own, because at least they're not creepy smiling zombies. It's funny, because the infected from Strangerville is so close to the 'normal' sims, it's like they're just slightly creepier versions - it's not really that much of a difference. :D And since Sims 4 sims can't really think for themselves or remember anything that happens, they don't really react - never mind being scared. Ridiculous. :D
    Allons-y!

• Options
    @Aine well I don't really know what else to say to make you understand. It's clear that the way Sims 2 worked made your gameplay flow better and that's great. You just brought up the all powerful "we" at some point and I disagreed with that "we" don't all agree or think like you do or hold to wanting things the same way... or even patterned in the way of past games. Some of us do of course and that's also great.
    I've found playing this current game that I play more freely... and in different ways, with different character types and storylines open to me than I ever did in past games. Actually my methods of playing have changed pretty drastically... now that I'm not so worried about them failing (Sims 1 and Sims 2). I often make them fail in Sims 4... and it's my choice to so. Does it make it less challenging? .... yes, those types of challenges are not built in as much in this game. You as a player usually have to set up for it with lot traits or other ways. Do I miss the challenges of old games... most of the time no...it got in my way of playing out my sim stories the way I wanted too. If they add in more challenge to this game .. perhaps through these story packs, perhaps not, I hope they also give us a way out of it and control over our game.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    @Hermitgirl It's the opposite for me, Sims 4 gameplay is way more constricting and limiting. I can't even go on a date and make it what I want, and the controls doesn't even work properly - stopping a sim from doing something I don't want them to doesn't work half the time. Yes, I understand you don't like challenges - but I do. It's not something you'll ever 'convince' me to think like you do, simple as that, because our player styles are different. What I oppose is calling Sims 2 something it's not. Sims 2 is way better at sandbox tools than Sims 4 - it's just a fact. It's great that you love Sims 4 and get the play you want from it.

Having Sims fail in Sims 4 isn't interesting to me, because nothing interesting happens. They just forget it right away, and they don't remember it ever happening. There are no real consequences. So what's the point?

The perfect Sims game would accommodate both of our play styles, and give us options to make the game as challenging and limiting as we want. Sims 2 was the perfect 'setting' for me - and Sims 4 seems to be the perfect 'setting' for you - if we could get different settings of challenge and the possibility of failure in Sims, that would be the best option. I'll say it again - it's one of the few games that can accommodate all players styles - it's exists innately in the concept itself.
    Allons-y!

• Options
    Try playing with autonomy off for the selected sim as you are playing (not autonomy off period). You control your sim or the one in the household you have targeted. It's the only way I'll play now. It's not perfect of course in every situation but I'm always controlling my played sim anyway so it works well for me. If you play in a way that you just "watch" your sims it won't work of course.
    I'm also not trying to convince you of anything I'm just giving my take as your thread is set up in a way to try to convince other of your stance. You are very much entitled to it.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    @Hermitgirl The thing is, what I love about the Sims is setting up the game, and then have it play out and see what happens - then I revise whatever I feel the need to - I like the challenge of herding around my sims towards what I want, while they're making it hard for me. But when the game doesn't have the tools to do that, then I become frustrated. Playing with autonomy off isn't really fun for me. No challenge. I don't think there's a reason to try to 'convince' others that doesn't have the same play style as you do. I speak for the people that have similar play style as I do - the people that doesn't have that, they'll agree with you already. The point is that Sims should be able to be a game for many player styles. I don't really mind the Strangerville pack in concept - only in execution. I'd want them to give us a pack that both you and I can enjoy. And I think they could, that's why I wrote this thread. ;)
    Allons-y!

• Options
    Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    This, I agree with all of this ⬇

ddd994 wrote: »
    I’m not being funny but this is the most dramatic reaction possible to this pack. RPG??! Have you played an RPG game? This is still the sims people, there is still a beautiful new town to play in, new objects (not all niche objects in the slightest), the “storytelling” is minimal and is only short as obviously they were testing the waters with that concept, and just adds a bit of lore to the town really. Let’s take a moment to look back at the history of the franchise. You’ll see there has always been a quirky side, and this pack is simply letting that quirky side go full reign for once.

The ratio of “realistic life sim” vs the “quirkier stuff” expansion packs, game packs and stuff packs, is farrrrr in favour of one over the other in the Sims 4. So stop worrying, for a lot of the fandom they have been missing the weirder stuff. Clearly there is a divide in the fandom of those wanting the game totally “realistic” vs those who want something a bit more off the wall/ exciting. It’s just a shame that this is the reaction from some, so extreme. Bashing the franchise because it has stepped out of your definition for the sims. If you don’t want this pack, don’t buy it. Surely that’s the point of all these packs? Customise the game how you want?

In terms of releasing university, this is still a business for the franchise. At the end of the day they have to keep interest in the franchise and keep the money rolling in. Of course they wouldnt release ALL the fan favourite packs at once. Before famous, they released pets and seasons, 2 other fan favourites, so calm down people. We all know university is gonna drop soon, probably next with the amount of outrage, that and babies lol... so stop with all this “just give us what we want” attitude, as if they don’t listen to the fan base at all.

There was outcry for pools they added pools. There was outcry for laundry, they added laundry. There was outcry for toddlers, they added toddlers. There was outcry for terrain tools, they added terrain tools. There was outcry for diversity, they are continuously adding diversity. They are clearly listening to what you’re asking for, and delivering when and where they can. Granted this stuff should have been in from day 1, but that is another issue for the Sims 4. They obviously made the base game heavily relying on the fact people would buy DLC, hence it feeling so empty. Problem is it was simply too empty, severely underbaked on release and they’ve had to play catch up ever since - whilst also delivering something new and fresh for the franchise. Honestly it’s a shame there hasn’t been more niche packs up until now. My memories of the franchise across pc and console has always been of how fun and quirky it can be. I mean it’s never been a true life simulation to begin with, let’s be real...

There are far bigger things to worry about for the future of the franchise than the threat of it turning into an RPG. Like the fact most of the dev team moved over to the mobile app. So now we haven’t had patches in a hot minute and everyone is stuck with a bug riddled game. Does this also mean a slow down in the production of the new content? Or with the financial potential in mobile gaming nowadays, will they give up on the sims on pc/console altogether? Especially with the rocky reception of the sims 4 across its lifetime, the fact they’ve had to have a full time bug-fixing team up until recently (so what 3/4 years?), will there even be a sims 5? Theres been no secret of drama between EA and Maxis and they already gave up on simcity on pc in favour of the app.

You need to stop feeling so personally attacked when they bring out a pack you haven’t demanded. I can’t tell you the amount of packs or features i didn’t think I would enjoy, until I tried them. Even the dreaded laundry pack (which I was mad about, how did the exciting potential of an eco pack turn into laundry???), I boycotted for ages until I eventually stuck washing machines in and who knew. They somehow add to the gameplay and now I always have washing machines and love the laundry pack. Be a little open minded, the fan base is big and divers. Not every piece of dlc will be catered directly to you. Just saying.

• Options
    @Hermitgirl The thing is, what I love about the Sims is setting up the game, and then have it play out and see what happens - then I revise whatever I feel the need to - I like the challenge of herding around my sims towards what I want, while they're making it hard for me. But when the game doesn't have the tools to do that, then I become frustrated. Playing with autonomy off isn't really fun for me. No challenge. I don't think there's a reason to try to 'convince' others that doesn't have the same play style as you do. I speak for the people that have similar play style as I do - the people that doesn't have that, they'll agree with you already. The point is that Sims should be able to be a game for many player styles. I don't really mind the Strangerville pack in concept - only in execution. I'd want them to give us a pack that both you and I can enjoy. And I think they could, that's why I wrote this thread. ;)

Okay maybe you don't realize that there is a setting where autonomy is on for all of the sims.... except the one you are playing or controlling. If you set it up like this ... you aren't fighting with what your sim wants to do. I can't do that type of screenshot to show the setting ... not sure how but it's autonomy on full ... but there is a check to disable autonomy for the selected sim.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    @Hermitgirl Yeah, I know, but it still isn't fun for me unfortunately. I appreciate the attempt to help though.
    Allons-y!

• Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    Hermitgirl wrote: »

Are you talking about when Sims needs would get too low and they'd get desperate? That wasn't from the wants and fears, that was from too low needs.

No again I'm talking about the aspiration system and the wants and fears wheel. You had to as a player fill some wants and avoid fears... if you didn't your aspiration bar would go down... or even tank if you hit some particularly nasty fear. Then your sim would go into aspiration failure. To me that system is in no way supportive of sandbox type play... you had to do it. I'm not saying you had to do everything in it, but you had to do some of it. The wants and fears rolled around anew each day after you sim slept. You could lock a few things (and later you were provided more locks if you completed college).

Sure you had to fulfill some wants, but a lot of the available wants were generic things you would be doing anyways. Not exactly forcing your hand to play in any particular way. Fears were easily avoidable. Sims 2 absolutely supports sandbox gameplay with the aspirations. Sims 4 has it’s fair share of directed play, more actually and it never changes. I mean at least the wants and fears were dynamic and rolled different things. Aspirations in Sims 4 can be ignored entirely with no repercussions - they are a sidebar feature, whereas they were prominent in Sims 2. It’s just how the game was, and it’s regarded as (generally) a popular design. Sims 3 got away from it with wishes that didn’t really do anything besides give you points for perks, and Sims 4’s take on it gives you small booster traits. The latter two feel more directed for me, because they aren’t integrated into playing the game and instead act as tasks with rewards.
  • Options
    TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member
    I am not woried by this at all. I love that they doing somethibg different, and trying sonethibg new in the series. Would I want witches?Yes I do, but gettibg somethibg new that is never done before?Why not?The only thing that matters most is that they should keep going.
  • Options
    comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    Sofmc9 wrote: »
    Ok, I just recorded an angry sim. I can keep recording the other emotions. If you can't see that the look on her face is angry.. then I don't know lol. The sims in 3 have subtle expressions but TS4 is the opposite of subtle.

https://youtu.be/RmK_rGaL5pY

@sofmc9 don't bother you don't need to explain anything to them
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Options
    tams2578tams2578 Posts: 705 Member
    I have been worried about where the franchise was headed ever since their what I refer to and viewed as the "Politically Correct" patch a few years back. I became more critical of any and all content we were given, both paid and unpaid at that time. This new "story mode" pack has just confirmed my negative opinion. The sandbox game I love no longer exists.

I've looked at all the patch notes and can't find anything could be considered as "Politically Correct". Which patch are you talking about?
    Zwdtm8.png
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    tams2578 wrote: »
    I have been worried about where the franchise was headed ever since their what I refer to and viewed as the "Politically Correct" patch a few years back. I became more critical of any and all content we were given, both paid and unpaid at that time. This new "story mode" pack has just confirmed my negative opinion. The sandbox game I love no longer exists.

I've looked at all the patch notes and can't find anything could be considered as "Politically Correct". Which patch are you talking about?

They are talking about the gender patch... or the actual how real life is for many people patch ;)..
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    tams2578tams2578 Posts: 705 Member

They are talking about the gender patch... or the actual how real life is for many people patch ;)..

Do you mean the patch that allows Simmers to change what gender their Sim is, what clothes they can wear, whether they can get pregnant/get others pregnant, etc.? I personally enjoy having those options even if I might not have used them yet to change a Sim. I like having The Sims be more like real life and be able to make even more realistic Sims. I don't understand people who are against changes like that since they don't have to use them if they don't want to.
    Zwdtm8.png
  • Options

Do you mean the patch that allows Simmers to change what gender their Sim is, what clothes they can wear, whether they can get pregnant/get others pregnant, etc.? I personally enjoy having those options even if I might not have used them yet to change a Sim. I like having The Sims be more like real life and be able to make even more realistic Sims. I don't understand people who are against changes like that since they don't have to use them if they don't want to.

Yes that's the one. It's another wonderful tool(s) that allows for a variety of stories. Personally I'm not into reality based stories all that much but I've used all of the options that have come with this patch in a variety of ways. I might not use them regularly but it's not invasive and it's there for when I need it.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,570 Member
    OP, you put that very well. I felt the very same way when the Powers that Be started churning out Star Trek Series one right after another until the market was so flooded they all but killed that franchise. I am still a very loyal Star Trek fan, and it's been over 50 years, now. I only like the Original series, mind you. The rest aren't up to par.

So, when you talk about the state of the Sims franchise, I know what you mean. Mind you, I've only played StrangerVille for less than an hour. I started to play it every so briefly, but then the Road to Fame mod was updated for GF and I went back to my other game save. Today, I began again with a group from the Enterprise. I've already posted my problem so I won't go into it on your thread. So far, it's different. And, I believe the devs want to take this franchise into the RPG realm. I took a survey quite awhile back and they had choices as to what kind of video game we preferred. They didn't list Life Simulator, nor did they have Other, to check. RPG was something I recognized and I checked that box. If, in my inexperience as a gamer, in general, could be tricked into that answer, how many others? I'm really quite angry at how the survey was worded and the choices given for answers.

So, far, I have really enjoyed Sims4. I love the toddlers better than Sims2 toddlers, which I never expected they could be better. I'm enjoying GF augmented by Road to Fame to have my singer Sim back. I'll let you know, if I end up liking StrangerVille. I don't like how our Sims can't confer with each other over their findings, thus far. (Guess that would be too sandbox, huh?)
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    cry0wr1ghtcry0wr1ght Posts: 16 Member
    I totally agree with OP.

I had stopped supporting EA by buying their stuff for TS4 after I wasted money on the base game and three packs. The thing is that I do not hate it. I enjoy if not playing then at least exploring TS4 because it gives opportunities that never existed in previous games. But the final product is not to cost $30-40.

There is a mountain back in my place of complete TS3 series bought as soon as our shops had them. The experience with those games justified their price for me, although I did notice some nice details from TS2 gone. It was great anyway.

With TS4, I believe it is a problem with EA. Somebody will call it too far-fetched, but their policies do affect quality of games. The recent examples with BioWare's Andromeda and Anthem are just the top of the iceberg. EA sets intense deadlines for the developers to complete and start selling projects. Of course Sims 4 will have only part of what it has potential for.