Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Everyone should be worried (Strangerville discussion)

AineAine Posts: 3,043 Member
I'm gonna ask a serious question here, and this comes from the heart. Am I the only one that is worried about the franchise and where it's heading right now? The development for this game has had its ups and downs, but overall I've, until now, been cautiously hopeful that certain blunders were just bumps in the road, and that the dev team would be slowly making a course correction towards a higher quality of content. Even though I don't agree with everything they've done before, I always took it for what it was and enjoyed what I could, aswell as being incredibly loyal to this franchise that I love and have great hopes for.

But with packs like My Pet Stuff and especially now with Strangerville, I'm getting increasingly concerned about the trajectory of the game, and the frequent inconsistent quality of the packs. Some features are very well done, while others seems to be an afterthought, done with the bare minimum of resources. Now that the game is heading into rpg territory, it's easy to note that it's been done before in the Sims - YES that is true, but NEVER as the main focus in the main game. Spin offs having this focus in one thing, but Strangerville showcases a lot of the problems that the game has right now, one being the inconsistent quality control and funding. As much work as the dev team most likely put into this pack, the end result is all that matters, and if it's not compelling to the end user, meaning us simmers, then they shouldn't have done it the way they did. The best use of their resources is developing powerful sandbox storytelling tools that we can use in a multitude of ways - not in making a badly written click rpg mystery with no sandbox tools involved at all.

It absolutely baffles me that so many people seem to be okay with this development. A badly executed rpg element IS NOT the Sims. You can add rpg elements on top of the sandbox tools as icing on the cake, but it should NOT be the main focus of a pack. At least have some quality control and have someone that can actually write develop the story. This plum is just embarrassing for everyone involved.

Ofcourse you're allowed to like and enjoy it, nobody said otherwise, but you still shouldn't be okay with this pack, it's horribly bad for the franchise, because even if you liked it, many many people won't like it, and will get turned off from the game - cue Sims getting even LESS funding and resources and even MORE lazy packs like this, and it will dwindle into an actual garbage disaster.

If any of you care about the franchise and playing the Sims, you would screaming loudly at Maxis to get their plum together and give us some actual sandbox content - if they want to sprinkle some rpg stuff and storytelling on top of that, sure go ahead, we all love that plum. Just don't sell a tiny world, one lazyily done career and a click mystery that's done in 2 hours as one pack and call it a day. If any of you care about the sims, DO NOT be okay with this. Loving something doesn't always mean agreeing with it at all times or pretending everything is sunshine and rainbows. The franchise needs it's fans right now, not your wallet.

Everyone should be worried about the state of the game right now, because it's a lose-lose situation for everyone involved. Even if you liked the pack, at some point even you sunshine and rainbow simmers will notice the dwindling quality and find yourself having spent hundreds on a game that in the end isn't what you hoped for. Meanwhile the rest of us is mourning a franchise that could have been so amazing - but instead we get a pack like this.

Enjoying the game and this pack doesn't mean you can't criticize it or be worried about the future of the game. Not liking the pack doesn't mean you can't enjoy aspects of the game still and root for the game to get better.

We all have one thing in common, and it's that we LOVE the Sims. And the fact that Maxis released this pack in the state it is in is NOT OKAY. It's okay to say it, we love the game and we care about it, and we care about the dev team and everyone working so hard on it. This plum is NOT OKAY.
Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
Post edited by Aine on

Comments

• Options
    @Naus Thanks for your support. <3
    Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    @catloverplayer I hope that's true, but I wouldn't have been this concerned if the story would have been a lot better done. If the quality would have been great, then yes, I would still have objected to the idea of linear play, but I would have been a lot more inclined to give Maxis some slack, and props for trying out something new. It's the horrible quality that really upsets me.

@MidnightAura I'm not opposed to some rpg elements in the sims, but those should be as a bonus sprinkled on top of solid storytelling sandbox tools.

@BabySquare Yes, it's worrying that the devs doens't seem to have enough resources to make a better pack. And it shows they are not used to developing for rpg storytelling - at least make the story compelling and detailed with many interactions and even different outcomes!
    Allons-y!

• Options
    edited February 2019
    @BabySquare Yes, that's why I wrote this post, because I think it's important to give this kind of feedback. We can't expect Maxis to improve if we just keep praising them.

@Cabelle1863 Yes, I think it's time we start to talk seriously about this stuff, because we all KNOW the unlimited potential the Sims has as a concept and as a franchise. It doesn't make any sense whatsoever that they aren't giving us fully fledged sasndbox tools with a lot more customization.
    Allons-y!

• Options
    @Freygea I too hope they make more game packs, and if they go this route again, that they include some powerful sandbox tools aswell as the story, so we get a deeper gameplay. <3
    Allons-y!

• Options
    BabySquareBabySquare Posts: 7,869 Member
    Simtown15 wrote: »
    And it’s not just Strangerville. Look at Get Famous, for example! The world is the same size as Strangerville, which is a gamepack world!

When you look back on the sims 3 base game world of Sunset Valley and how many lots it had, this quickly becomes very depressing. I do suspect this is down to budget cuts.
    Gallery ID: babysquare
  • Options
    FreygeaFreygea Posts: 867 Member
    Aine wrote: »
    @Freygea I too hope they make more game packs, and if they go this route again, that they include some powerful sandbox tools aswell as the story, so we get a deeper gameplay. <3

That would be great. : )
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    @Triplis Thanks for sharing your thoughts. As I've said before, I could even tolerate an rpg element in a pack like this, as long as the quality is high enough. The main issue for me is the low quality, not only with the story, but with the pack in general. The pack leaves a lot to wish for on all points. As much as I can disagree with certain decisions and choices for themes, if the quality and detail is high enough, I'd be up for almost anything, I believe. ;)
    Allons-y!

• Options
    AHolyToiletAHolyToilet Posts: 870 Member
    edited February 2019
    While I haven't gotten to the story yet, items wise, I'm pretty disappointed with the pack. That being said, no, I'm not worried at all. In fact, I'd call it a bit of a slippery slope to think that the devs suddenly plan to start doing more story-driven content based off of just one pack and with the Sims' history of featuring primarily sandbox-based content. If anything, you should be worried about the Devs not always listening all the time to us fans.

Everywhere you go, people beg and beg for Witches and University and Grant has stated multiple times that they are aware, but according to a person on the forum, Grant pitched the idea of a story-driven pack like Strangerville and apparently, most were against it. But they did it anyway and so far, the pack's reception seems to be pretty mixed. So I say Witches, University, and whatever else people have been requesting should've come out first, not Strangerville.

I just don't understand why exactly the most heavily requested (which would also mean packs that would sell well) packs aren't being prioritized. Why did Strangerville come out first? Why wasn't the next GP Witches or Werewolves?

Of course, the Devs did listen with Seasons, but still... it just seems strange to me that they did a pack unlike many previous packs as opposed to a pack that they know, especially if done right, that people would enjoy instead of suddenly taking a risk. Points to them for trying, though, although I can't say the same for the items and the way the world was constructed.

And they also say they know about what we want, but then what's preventing them from doing it? At least give a reason, you know?
  • Options
    Simtown15Simtown15 Posts: 3,952 Member
    @Cabelle1863 I remember the laundry pack. I was so upset when I found out that the pack would be laundry- a chore, for goodness sake- and not something more interesting! I still don’t have that pack and it’s been idk-how-many years since its release. Why would I want to pay for an extra chore for my sims?
  • Options
    pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    I am not the hugest fan of this turning into The Sims Medieval either considering this is suppose to be the main series not a spin off of the series. I like the stuff in the game I just don't like the RPG elements like the game just turned into a RPG game.
    tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • Options
    Noree_DoreeNoree_Doree Posts: 1,470 Member
    I have to agree with you @Aine. The only difference I can say is I'm not surprised all this is happening little by little we've seen things take a turn and I don't think they can surprise me anymore. Am I worried? Well yes, I am. I love this franchise as any other simmer does, however, I can't help but feel powerless. I don't feel like there is a thing we can do about where this direction is going unless simmers start to speak up and really put our feet down. So I'm just sitting back and watching it all unfold sadly. Putting my feedback here and there. The sad thing is I finally got another computer (decided on that instead of getting a new hard drive for my old rig) and I could easily buy GF, SV, and MFP as those are the only packs I'm missing. However, I just can't. Seasons was the last pack for me thus far. And with the direction they're going, it might be the last depending on if they incorporate a university pack and if I deem it worthy versus the last iterations.
    "Bada su the gorn bada su the brawn bada bady oda aba donk donk donk gerbits gerbits vo gerbits".
  • Options
    soko37soko37 Posts: 593 Member
    edited February 2019
    Simtown15 wrote: »
    @Cabelle1863 I remember the laundry pack. I was so upset when I found out that the pack would be laundry- a chore, for goodness sake- and not something more interesting! I still don’t have that pack and it’s been idk-how-many years since its release. Why would I want to pay for an extra chore for my sims?

I think it's weird when sims cant wash their clothes. It's like having no cars. Its basic life things that bring realness into the game. Although the interactions in sims 3 laundry were better. They actually put soap in. Also, homes need a laundry room, we all have them or at least one on the premises. I think it's essential for a life simulation game. And if you're playing without cheats, you can actually make good money searching pockets lol.

Why they couldn't have done all the packs in the poll instead of the other ones we have I do not know. They were all very good ideas then just vanished.
  • Options
    citysimmercitysimmer Posts: 5,950 Member
    I don't really mind things like this aside from the lack of replayability, but I think it would have been much wiser to release something like this after most of the things people really, really want like University, another Occult pack, etc. are hypothetically released. The reception would've been much warmer upon the announcement and releasing it now feels like our wants are being ignored. I haven't finished the story yet but I do like the pack, however. We haven't had a less realistic pack in a bit.
    Proud black simmer 🖤
    MfVGMbL.jpg

• Options
    edited February 2019
    @Noree_Doree Well we can give the devs constructive criticism and give them ideas about what to do instead, and make sure they understand what we actually want from the game. We can't force them to listen, but at least we can make our voices heard.

@soko37 If they give us the sandbox tools that we all dream of, then a boss fight would be cool, because we could use it the way we wanted. Nothing is out of the question in a Sims game as long as it's a toolbox and not a pre written script.

@citysimmer They can definitely do a storyline like this, they just have to include more in depth gameplay, a sandbox toolbox that gives us more control over our games. It's really as simple as that.
    Allons-y!