Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Thoughts on Strangerville?

Comments

• Options
    Kita5399Kita5399 Posts: 2,112 Member
    Interesting idea but looks weirdly executed
    SimTrippy wrote: »
    I'm honestly intrigued even though I'm not entirely sure I'll like it. But it's just the apparent linearity of the trailer that's a little off putting. Will it be a "play it once, and never again" pack? Are there different mysteries? Or any? Can I live there? New skills and stuff? Idk I'm intrigued but also really really unsure what to think haha. Guess I'll find out soon enough!

I don’t think there is much for replay with the story unfortunately
  • Options
    SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    edited February 2019
    Interesting and intriguing - nice to see something new
    CK213 wrote: »
    I'm not sure what to make of it.
    It looks annoyingly strange enough to hope all the weirdness is isolated to Strangerville.

But I am seeing content that I can use.
    I am concerned about replay value though.

It is isolated to stranger Ville and we can also turn off the strangeness in stranger Ville and just use it as a normal world.apperantly it will have 11 New Lots in two neighborhoods
  • Options
    Geralt_ofRiviaGeralt_ofRivia Posts: 126 Member
    I’m happy we’re getting something different for once. I’m getting quite hyped for this pack. But I’m still hoping for University to come out sooner than later.
  • Options
    PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    🐸🐸🐸🐸??
    I like the weird and the magical. I don't like horror movies.

I like sandbox play in the Sims. I DON'T want a story to tell me what to do and how to do it. If I wanted an RPG style game, I'd go play one. But the Sims? No. That's where I have control.
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,427 Member
    Now that they've confirmed it's a full world notification world, and that we can turn the strangeness on and off and even if it is on is confined to the one-world, I am definitely interested in this.

Wait we can turn the strangeness off? I'm confused. Can you link to whatever place you guys are getting this info from? Twitter? Stream? Sorry for being lazy :blush:

Another discussion on this forum
    One of the gurus answered the question

And also on twitter (which I don't follow, I found it on Sims Community)
  • Options
    SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    Now that they've confirmed it's a full world notification world, and that we can turn the strangeness on and off and even if it is on is confined to the one-world, I am definitely interested in this.

Wait we can turn the strangeness off? I'm confused. Can you link to whatever place you guys are getting this info from? Twitter? Stream? Sorry for being lazy :blush:

I don't follow their Twitter, but people were posting screencaps of them saying that on Twitter on the Sims Reddit page
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    JoBass24us wrote: »
    I feel like I can’t realky judge it because I don’t know much about what’s in the pack. I do think it’s an interesting idea and it’s nice to see something different. I hope they executed it well. I won’t immediately buy it. I will wait for reviews.

This pack seems suited for LGR's Duke Nukem. B)

Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    CK213 wrote: »
    I'm not sure what to make of it.
    It looks annoyingly strange enough to hope all the weirdness is isolated to Strangerville.

But I am seeing content that I can use.
    I am concerned about replay value though.

It is isolated to stranger Ville and we can also turn off the strangeness in stranger Ville and just use it as a normal world.apperantly it will have 11 New Lots in two neighborhoods

11 lots is pretty good sized for a GP. Even if you eventually turn it to Normalville that's still a good deal, plus you get the military career and all the cool objects. Definitely upgrading some of the gyms to have what looks like a martial arts training dummy (wonder if we get the board breaker as well?) alongside the punching bags.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    HimRumiHimRumi Posts: 1,444 Member
    I love packs that steer away from past ones we've already had. Besides, this is something completely new and almost like a sequel to Strangetown, which I love.
  • Options
    SimsBroSimsBro Posts: 134 Member
    edited February 2019
    Why are EA not giving us babies that are not objects or university
    While I am really intrigued that they would go with lovecraftian themes of alien entities brainwashing feeble and frail human minds in a Sims game, at the same time I can't help but wish it had been a GP focused on content that has been requested by fans for quite some time like Witches. I suppose University would take an EP.

I do really like how extremely close to release it was announced, though.
  • Options
    dfstonedfstone Posts: 215 Member
    Strangetown was my favorite neighborhood in the sims so I'm excited about it being re-introduced through Strangerville. But I'm worried its going to be another ridiculously small world like forgotten hollow and Del Sol Valley.
  • Options
    keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    🐸🐸🐸🐸??
    I'm not quite sure why people keep saying this is something new. It's a watered down version of Strangetown from The Sims 2 with the skies from The Sims 3 Aurora Skies world thrown in.

The Sims 2 and 3 had open worlds that were fleshed out through the backstory, the Sims that lived there, the look and feel of the world and the description which all combined that made them all come to life. StrangeVille appears to have a linear story that you need to follow to get the story and feel across. I also don't see it having much replay value if you're working to solve a single mystery.

I also think of when I got Get Famous and my Sim wouldn't stop doing that atrocious fame walk. Can't wait for Sims to have permanent smiles and wide eyes stuck on their faces.

LOL
  • Options
    MonaveilMonaveil Posts: 652 Member
    The Strangerville pack looks interesting and I'm always ready to have something new for my Sims to do.
  • Options
    taydevtaydev Posts: 912 Member
    🐸🐸🐸🐸??
    I feel like I should preface my somewhat negative opinion by saying, I'm not against this pack. But as someone said upthread, we're missing a ton of basics in the game, things like being able to walk and talk, cuddle in bed or on couch, relax in bed, having multiple best friends, cars (at least decorative), and other fine details that would add more immersion. Careers in education, a beach world, more non American-centric worlds, the ability for wealthy sims to own multiple properties...I could go on.

There's a slim chance I might dabble in the mystery story, and likely won't use the world much either. Kind of bummed we got another American inspired desert world. I'm not fond of deserts, but would have liked it better if it were a Mediterranean or Middle Eastern inspired world. Guess I'll place old trailer homes in Strangerville or something, and use it for townie housing. I don't know. This is the first time I don't have plans for a world.

For me, the only features I've seen of use so far are the new hair and clothes, military career, laptops, standing picture frames, and what seems to be sims walking and talking together, which I hope wasn't a mere set up for the trailer. I'll have to watch the gamechangers when the embargo is lifted, to see what else consists of Strangerville.
  • Options
    WolfiumWolfium Posts: 2,672 Member
    Reminds me of X-files. If I get it, I must have Mulder and Scully there.
  • Options
    MawMawMawMaw Posts: 99 Member
    I'm super excited about this pack, It seems like it's going to be something really new and fun.
    I don't really mind that the story will be a one time play through, Every sim has a different story anyway so It's not likely that I'll even want to take multiple sims through. I've only ever taken a few sims to the temple in Selvordorada but I use it as a holiday destination all the time, So having a one time story but a new world to live and play in seems like a great deal to me.
  • Options
    joyofliving37joyofliving37 Posts: 106 Member
    🐸🐸🐸🐸??
    Lol @ the plum?? category. I have zero interest in the gameplay involved in this pack, but I hope it’s enjoyable for those who are excited. I just don’t like supernatural gameplay, so I immediately wrote this off as a pack I won’t buy. I would like to have more lots. But you have to complete the mystery first, so I’ll pass and wait for the next pack. If this aspect changes and you aren’t forced to play the mystery, I might consider buying it just for the lots. Even still I’d be worried about the inevitable bugs that might cause the features I turned off to still be active in the game (like the auto celebrity walk that is still plaguing my sims even after the bug fix).

I was hoping the next pack would be something that would allow me to get rid of a mod, like university or a tropical getaway pack, or even something else that filled some of the gameplay holes in TS4. But I’ve realized EA is going to draw out this game for as long as possible. It could be years before we receive the content we want, if we receive it at all. But by then I’ll have lost interest in TS4, so it won’t matter to me anyway.
  • Options
    MawMawMawMaw Posts: 99 Member
    Lol @ the plum?? category. I have zero interest in the gameplay involved in this pack, but I hope it’s enjoyable for those who are excited. I just don’t like supernatural gameplay, so I immediately wrote this off as a pack I won’t buy. I would like to have more lots. But you have to complete the mystery first, so I’ll pass and wait for the next pack. If this aspect changes and you aren’t forced to play the mystery, I might consider buying it just for the lots. Even still I’d be worried about the inevitable bugs that might cause the features I turned off to still be active in the game (like the auto celebrity walk that is still plaguing my sims even after the bug fix).

I was hoping the next pack would be something that would allow me to get rid of a mod, like university or a tropical getaway pack, or even something else that filled some of the gameplay holes in TS4. But I’ve realized EA is going to draw out this game for as long as possible. It could be years before we receive the content we want, if we receive it at all. But by then I’ll have lost interest in TS4, so it won’t matter to me anyway.

They have said that if you don't interact with the mystery that It's not very noticable in game until you start digging into it, Might be worth checking out some lets plays to see exactly how noticeable it will be when they come out, to see if it is worth getting for the extra lots and items! :smile:
  • Options
    joyofliving37joyofliving37 Posts: 106 Member
    🐸🐸🐸🐸??
    I'm not quite sure why people keep saying this is something new. It's a watered down version of Strangetown from The Sims 2 with the skies from The Sims 3 Aurora Skies world thrown in.

The Sims 2 and 3 had open worlds that were fleshed out through the backstory, the Sims that lived there, the look and feel of the world and the description which all combined that made them all come to life. StrangeVille appears to have a linear story that you need to follow to get the story and feel across. I also don't see it having much replay value if you're working to solve a single mystery.

I also think of when I got Get Famous and my Sim wouldn't stop doing that atrocious fame walk. Can't wait for Sims to have permanent smiles and wide eyes stuck on their faces.

This is exactly what I’m talking about! Lol. I’m not interested in this pack but wanted more lots. But I’d be afraid to buy it because I was already imagining the potential bugs just from watching the trailer. There are always bugs, and I’m tired of downloading mods to fix them. Not worth it. Today I had to download the mod to get rid of the GF celebrity walk because my sims are still walking around doing this even though I turned it off when I played their households.

• Options
    BridgetKVBridgetKV Posts: 200 Member
    This isn't the kind of content that I'm typically interested in, but I'm honestly kind of excited by this. It's new and gives me major Welcome to Nightvale vibes.
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,449 Member

Sims 2 did not have open worlds. That was only Sims 3.

I think it's still too early to really be able to say anything critical about the story for StrangeVille, whether it's actually necessary to play to get the results you want, or whether it can be peacefully ignored. The devs have said they wanted to give us the flexibility to make that decision for our own games, so I'm really interested to see how they designed this pack, what the options are, and what other stuff is included.

Remember that we still don't know a whole lot about it and what things can be used outside of the town. They're also not revealing much about the story itself to avoid spoilers, so those who are skeptical might want to wait until the Game Changers release their early access info.

For me, I'll probably go MIA for a while because I don't want to see spoilers. :)
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    MuggyQuasarMuggyQuasar Posts: 169 Member
    All the weird text posts on Twitter really annoyed me and I was worried it was going to be a zombie pack from some of the screenshots. Was pleasantly surprised and I think it could be fun. It's worth it for them to experiment and bring us new things!
    lgYUYx0.jpg
  • Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    edited February 2019
    @Pamtastic72 thanks for that! It honestly doesn't sound that bad to me. Kind of like a slightly more interactive version of Forgotten Hollow or something? I mean that could be alright, especially if you can opt out of it. IDK about the theme yet but I think I'll withhold my judgement for now, until we know more.
  • Options
    PegasysPegasys Posts: 1,135 Member
    I enjoy scifi and horror movies and have watched a gazillion of them so this fits in just nicely. So yes I am intrigued and interested. I'm not disappointed that it's not X or Y pack, mainly because I expect X and Y to arrive eventually.

Honestly, I eventually end up getting all the packs, and am especially excited about anything that provides more gameplay. I welcome all content, I am sort of an "everything" player - realistic, supernatural, family, story, build/buy, bring it on.