Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Thoughts on Strangerville?

Comments

• Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    edited February 2019
    Interesting and intriguing - nice to see something new
    What it means is, if you choose not to play through the mystery story you can live in StrangerVille and play as you normally would, and the story won't interfere. They designed it so that even if you don't play through it's not in your face so to speak. Sim Guru Houts says it's been designed to play through at your own pace and weave into your own story telling if you choose.

Here are some excellent resources to answer your questions.

On the forum: The link opens on page 49 of the thread which is where the dev tweets about the pack start.

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/943598/sim-gurus-on-twitter/p49

On twitter:

https://mobile.twitter.com/SimGuruHouts/with_replies

https://mobile.twitter.com/SimGuruKate/with_replies

https://mobile.twitter.com/SimGuruGrant/with_replies
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,837 Member
    Bagoas77 wrote: »
    Just curious... is it still true that we have several years (3 to 5) more of this new and exciting content to look forward to for ts4? I haven't been keeping up if that's still true.

Not sure how many years are left but this is a recent tweet from Grant.

• IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited February 2019
    soko37 wrote: »
    Now that they've confirmed it's a full world notification world, and that we can turn the strangeness on and off and even if it is on is confined to the one-world, I am definitely interested in this.

Why does turning the strangeness off make you more interested? It's an entire pack that's just one world and one career...those are side items, where is the main idea to this pack? The mystery quest??? Of course everyone is going to turn it off. Unless you just keep playing the quest over and over.

This pack is missing the main idea. This would have NEVER been thought of as a compete pack in sims 2 or 3. They made a plum pack and threw laptops in so that we were compelled to buy.

Sims 2 and 3 didn't have gamepacks. Are you forgetting that this is a gamepack that costs $20USD (same price as a TS3 stuff pack?) The Spa Day gamepack contained spa items only. StrangerVille sounds like the fullest gamepack we've had.
  • SimaniteSimanite Posts: 4,833 Member
    Why are EA not giving us babies that are not objects or university
    Well, that trailer sure made it look awesome but my problem with it is that it's following a narrative. It will follow the same route as Jungle Adventure and Get Famous for me - I will play it and enjoy it a couple of times, and then I will go back to my normal play style and not touch it. Of course, there are things I will use in my everyday play-style. And the world looks great! But it just saddens me that we're at this late stage of TS4's life and there is soooo much basic content missing.
  • revgrvrevgrv Posts: 225 Member
    Btw does the pack come with fighting/sparring? It looked that way from the trailer with the training machine but it hasn't been listed as a feature that I've noticed, unlike laptops.
    &PHgr;
  • dsefdsef Posts: 1,219 Member
    revgrv wrote: »
    Btw does the pack come with fighting/sparring? It looked that way from the trailer with the training machine but it hasn't been listed as a feature that I've noticed, unlike laptops.

I believe it does
  • SeloBeeSeloBee Posts: 177 Member
    🐸🐸🐸🐸??
    Psh they already did this in TS2, it's not "new"
    The world is quiet here
  • AineAine Posts: 3,043 Member
    edited February 2019
    🐸🐸🐸🐸??
    Since there doesn't seem to be any customization available, and no new sandbox tools, I'm not sure what the point is. This isn't the sims to me, I can play hundreds of games with a linear story, I play the sims to make my own stories, not the ones the dev team thinks is fun. I want sandbox tools to create my own worlds and stories and this is clearly not it. I'm confused how the dev team seems to be so disconnected from what the sims is. Sure it might be fun to play once, but then what? When you already know the mystery, there is no reason to do it again.
    Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,545 Member
    ₮ⱧɆ ₥Ø₮ⱧɆⱤ ł₴ ₵₳ⱠⱠł₦₲ ł ₥Ʉ₴₮ Ø฿ɆɎ ₮ⱧɆ ₵₳ⱠⱠ Ø₣ ₮ⱧɆ ₥Ø₮ⱧɆⱤ
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    Aine wrote: »
    Since there doesn't seem to be any customization available, and no new sandbox tools, I'm not sure what the point is. This isn't the sims to me, I can play hundreds of games with a linear story, I play the sims to make my own stories, not the ones the dev team thinks is fun. I want sandbox tools to create my own worlds and stories and this is clearly not it. I'm confused how the dev team seems to be so disconnected from what the sims is. Sure it might be fun to play once, but then what? When you already know the mystery, there is no reason to do it again.

But it can create sandbox stories! I don't mind solving the mystery as the game has been set to play out. I see it as a side game within the overall Sims game. It's things like this that help me with some of the sims I create and adds a facet to their story in my head and gives more depth to how I play them!

I've had an end-times "prophet" in my game for a while. He went around using his freeze-ray on aliuns. But NOW, with GF, he has his video blog station to reach the masses with his conspiracy theories, and NOW with SV, he's actually got some strangeness going on! And he can use his freeze-ray on the infected now too! ( since aliuns are few and far between)

In my head, that makes his vlogging more interesting, and it just overall helps me keep who he is and what he is about more "real" to me!

The Sims is about quirky things. It always has been.
    edited February 2019
    🐸🐸🐸🐸??
    fullspiral wrote: »

But it can create sandbox stories! I don't mind solving the mystery as the game has been set to play out. I see it as a side game within the overall Sims game. It's things like this that help me with some of the sims I create and adds a facet to their story in my head and gives more depth to how I play them!

I've had an end-times "prophet" in my game for a while. He went around using his freeze-ray on aliuns. But NOW, with GF, he has his video blog station to reach the masses with his conspiracy theories, and NOW with SV, he's actually got some strangeness going on! And he can use his freeze-ray on the infected now too! ( since aliuns are few and far between)

In my head, that makes his vlogging more interesting, and it just overall helps me keep who he is and what he is about more "real" to me!

That's great for you, but that's not how sandbox tools work for me. I get frustrated by the limitations that comes with only a certain story being played out. Especially when it's only a surprise once. I'm not even sure I'd enjoy it the first time, since the game is basically forcing a certain story on me, and that's not what Sims is to me. Sure you can make up stories that aren't played out in the game, but only exist in your head, but that's my point; a sims game should let you create those stories and have them play out in the game, not just in your head. The reason I fell in love with the sims was because it WASN'T like playing with dolls, but a full scale detailed simulation where I can make up the rules and create whatever I wanted. If I wanted to imagine things, I'd just aswell go back to playing with dolls, and that's not what I want. So no, I don't agree.
    Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---

That's great for you, but that's not how sandbox tools work for me. I get frustrated by the limitations that comes with only a certain story being played out. Especially when it's only a surprise once. I'm not even sure I'd enjoy it the first time, since the game is basically forcing a certain story on me, and that's not what Sims is to me. Sure you can make up stories that aren't played out in the game, but only exist in your head, but that's my point; a sims game should let you create those stories and have them play out in the game, not just in your head. The reason I fell in love with the sims was because it WASN'T like playing with dolls, but a full scale detailed simulation where I can make up the rules and create whatever I wanted. If I wanted to imagine things, I'd just aswell go back to playing with dolls, and that's not what I want. So no, I don't agree.

What I am saying, is that the things they are adding help my style of play so that it doesn't feel like it's all in my head and that I can see that story playing out. Overall.
    edited February 2019
    🐸🐸🐸🐸??

What I am saying, is that the things they are adding help my style of play so that it doesn't feel like it's all in my head and that I can see that story playing out. Overall.

That's not what it does for me, it's limiting and frustrating for me. I want a more hands on and detailed simulation, otherwise it's just all imagination, and I don't need a simulation game for imagining things. I don't like this direction they're going at all. I shouldn't HAVE to imagine things, I want MY choices to play out in the game, not theirs.
    Allons-y!

That's not what it does for me, it's limiting and frustrating for me. I want a more hands on and detailed simulation, otherwise it's just all imagination, and I don't need a simulation game for imagining things. I don't like this direction they're going at all. I shouldn't HAVE to imagine things, I want MY choices to play out in the game, not theirs.

I'm not sure what you mean by hands on and more detailed? Do you mean looking after their needs more intensely like in 1 and 2? More detailed like the relationships and memories in 2? I get that it's a lot easier and their needs are met much easier in the last 2 iterations. But that also frees up sim time to do other things. I think.

I still hope that the emotions and the sims themselves get some more attention with regards to their worlds and their relationships. And that things affect them far better than with the moodlet system that was introduced in 3. I think that's what changed the game, (and not necessarily for the better)
    edited February 2019
    🐸🐸🐸🐸??

I'm not sure what you mean by hands on and more detailed? Do you mean looking after their needs more intensely like in 1 and 2? More detailed like the relationships and memories in 2? I get that it's a lot easier and their needs are met much easier in the last 2 iterations. But that also frees up sim time to do other things. I think.

I still hope that the emotions and the sims themselves get some more attention with regards to their worlds and their relationships. And that things affect them far better than with the moodlet system that was introduced in 3. I think that's what changed the game, (and not necessarily for the better)

I didn't play Sims 3 much - but I personally don't like moodlets at all - I'd rather have personality points and more in depth personalities overall, and WAY more customization. And it's super weird to me that we don't have a scared emotion.
    Allons-y!

I didn't play Sims 3 much - but I personally don't like moodlets at all - I'd rather have personality points and more in depth personalities overall, and WAY more customization. And it's super weird to me that we don't have a scared emotion.

I agree. And I hope that is something they are working on. We need those systems in place. The attraction system, horoscopes, likes/dislikes, interests. All of that. And yes, we need fear. And we need to see them care about each other like they did in 2.
  • dsefdsef Posts: 1,219 Member
    The sims has needed someting like this for a while in my opinion I love the fact that it will bring new play to the game as well as a new storyline.
  • BlkBarbiegalBlkBarbiegal Posts: 7,924 Member
    I'm all for packs we've had before but I really want new things as well. People say why do they keep giving us stuff we didn't ask for. But a lot of us are asking for new things, therefore EA is giving us things we're asking for. :)
    Me on:
    Twitch jovi_jov
    Twitter BarbieSimmy
    Origin SimsBarbie
  • LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    Not really interested in a pack for once. I’ll keep waiting for witches, school content, revised babies (if we ever get them, which I doubt), islands/beaches, mermaids, etc.
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • CheekybitsCheekybits Posts: 1,030 Member
    First off, I do want better babies and university but I don't see why we can't have this pack and those things. I get this pack is not for everyone but its kinda greedy that some people don't see what they personally want and say this pack should not have been made. If they came out and announced this to be the last pack I would've choose the "plum??' option.
  • DecafHighDecafHigh Posts: 669 Member
    Cheekybits wrote: »
    I get this pack is not for everyone but its kinda greedy that some people don't see what they personally want and say this pack should not have been made.
    Probably because of how slowly packs in TS4 come out and how limited the ones we do get are content wise. If they were churning out packs and content the way they did in TS3 the competition for what packs and ideas get dev time would be far less.
  • PuffyPuffy Posts: 393 Member
    🐸🐸🐸🐸??
    Plum .....
    I hate they bring strange zombie .... this is one of my pack I unstalled in Sim 3 . That is thousand of great ideas like resort , university.... I don’t know why they put the worst one to alive.
  • Ceres_MeirionaCeres_Meiriona Posts: 5,006 Member
    I'm having difficulty being patient for this one. >.< I want to play it now! lol
    tumblr_oesik08PQO1vorh5do6_1280.jpg
  • Ceres_MeirionaCeres_Meiriona Posts: 5,006 Member

Idk, Hout makes it sound like you can still do things how we have always done them if you want to avoid the story. Nothing is set in stone.
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/16966054/#Comment_16966054 If it actually functions as they intend it to, it won't change the sandbox feel or application of the game.
    tumblr_oesik08PQO1vorh5do6_1280.jpg
  • GoldenBuffyGoldenBuffy Posts: 4,025 Member
    Just like with JA, I see playing the story once, and just living in the new neighborhood. I use JA as a vacation spot now, with a tropical resort, etc. I like that they are trying new things. But I also want older things with a new twist added to them (Uni, Vacation, MORE pets, etc.) And some freaking #liberatedbabies. Come on EA. Babies are a lifestage too! I love how they are done in SFP, and wish they'd take some inspo. from them and give us some awesome babies like they gave us awesome toddlers.
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!