Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is 'upgrading' worth it?

Has anyone else noticed that spending thousands for upgrade parts and having a '10 handy' Sim upgrade and even make some things 'unbreakable' does not necessarily seem to be reducing how often their stuff is breaking down?
Sims 4 Gallery
EA ID: SheriGR
TWITTER: https://twitter.com/SheriGr
"What does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God." ― Micah 6:8

Comments

• Options
    LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    edited September 2018
    If you have a dryer, I will say YES it's worth it. Those dryers just catch on fire too easily. As far as upgrading the toilets to not break, I really don't see a difference. Plus if you forget and accidentally replace it, all your upgrades are gone. What I don't care for in this game, all upgrades don't save. So, for example, you have a home fully upgraded and want to save it for another game save, for whatever reason, the upgrades don't save. I rarely upgrade anything anymore.
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    I don't understand why electronics don't have an option to upgrade them so that they stop breaking. It makes no sense to spend all of this money buying parts and wasting time upgrading items if they still continue to break.

We at least need a mod that will make it so no object breaks or at least fully upgraded objects don't break.
  • Options
    Evie0602Evie0602 Posts: 634 Member
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    I don't understand why electronics don't have an option to upgrade them so that they stop breaking. It makes no sense to spend all of this money buying parts and wasting time upgrading items if they still continue to break.

We at least need a mod that will make it so no object breaks or at least fully upgraded objects don't break.

There is a mod to make objects break less frequently, or stop them from breaking. You can use this mod to change the percentage of how often things break. I think if you set it to 0 then nothing will break. http://modthesims.info/d/604016
  • Options
    SheriGRSheriGR Posts: 795 Member
    edited September 2018
    I'm relieved to hear that I'm not imagining it. Yes, I naively spent thousands of Sim-bucks and exhausting amounts of time on the Sims' part & got two sims to 10 handiness to do all of these upgrades, and the plumbing still breaks constantly, as do the speakers and some other things as well. So frustrating. I'd just rather have the ability to spend big bucks for unbreakable items (like the computer). I usually buy the unbreakable toilet also, but there is no unbreakable sink, and I don't think there is that option for any showers either. And of course they all need to break in a big cluster when you are at that crazy-needy time in the toddler training process. (You know, the point where random Sims stop doing what they are supposed to on their own at all (like feeding the toddler when you tell them to or the toddler asks) and may or may not 'listen' to you... and then there is that stupid glitchy high chair and in-and-out contests from them all while you try to have them not starve the child... :/ Ya. That stuff.
    Sims 4 Gallery
    "What does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God." ― Micah 6:8
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,602 Member
    SheriGR wrote: »
    Has anyone else noticed that spending thousands for upgrade parts and having a '10 handy' Sim upgrade and even make some things 'unbreakable' does not necessarily seem to be reducing how often their stuff is breaking down?

The upgrade parts are more for like 'never dirty toilet and shower'. :D

It works for TVs tho. I've never had a TV or electronic device breaking down after the upgrade.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    DeKay wrote: »

The upgrade parts are more for like 'never dirty toilet and shower'. :D

It works for TVs tho. I've never had a TV or electronic device breaking down after the upgrade.

Ewwww... the dirty toilet is the maid's problem! Just kidding... ;) Well, I hope it will at least reduce the issues with the little speakers breaking constantly. I must say I think it helped with the roomba because when I first got it it broke down a LOT.
    Sims 4 Gallery
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I usually get my sims really high in the mechanical skill.. and go a step further and get the instant upgrade trait. It might be because I don't play large households but things don't break that often for me when they are high skilled and things are upgraded. It might also be because I can spend basically no time fixing stuff though... and it's kind of a dominant moment to show those appliances/electronics who's boss.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    MaggieMarleyMaggieMarley Posts: 5,299 Member
    I would also say that buying the supposedly “unbreakable” computer is not worth it as it breaks all the time.
  • Options
    MaggieMarleyMaggieMarley Posts: 5,299 Member
    The one thing I have found it really worth upgrading is the fireplace to stop my sims constantly lighting themselves on fire.
  • Options
    CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    Upgrading works fine for me.
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • Options
    invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    Other than a weird glitch in which a stereo upgraded to 'unbreakable' did break and couldn't be fixed (I had to 'replace'), my non-breakable items have worked as advertised. Some objects can only be upgraded to not-so breakable.

I've noticed that when you have a Sim working on the handy trait, things seem to break more often, as if to give them more opportunities to work on their new skill. I had a Sim with full handiness upgrade everything in the house a generation ago. Her granddaughter is now working on her handiness, and the shower breaks all the time. It's just about the only thing that didn't have the 'unbreakable' upgrade option.

Mostly, though, I don't mind things breaking - it adds a little variety to my Sims' lives. (Although, in un-upgraded households, the toilet never fails to break just before bed. I don't know how many times I've had an exhausted parent fixing the toilet at 2 am.)
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Other than a weird glitch in which a stereo upgraded to 'unbreakable' did break and couldn't be fixed (I had to 'replace'), my non-breakable items have worked as advertised. Some objects can only be upgraded to not-so breakable.

I've noticed that when you have a Sim working on the handy trait, things seem to break more often, as if to give them more opportunities to work on their new skill. I had a Sim with full handiness upgrade everything in the house a generation ago. Her granddaughter is now working on her handiness, and the shower breaks all the time. It's just about the only thing that didn't have the 'unbreakable' upgrade option.

Mostly, though, I don't mind things breaking - it adds a little variety to my Sims' lives. (Although, in un-upgraded households, the toilet never fails to break just before bed. I don't know how many times I've had an exhausted parent fixing the toilet at 2 am.)

Yup, yup, yup! I don't really mind it much, it just surprised and annoyed me some. False advertising and all. I do think it adds a little edge and all, I just don't appreciate the upgrade being costly and time consuming then not doing what it said it would. If it is actually 'breaks less often', that is what the upgrade should be called. (Or sturdy, etc.) I agree, though, it gives them a confidence boost and is super-fast to do once the handiness is high. B)
    Sims 4 Gallery
  • Options
    foussifoussi Posts: 642 Member
    It's worth upgrading sinks and toilets since they seem to break every day.
  • Options
    TheStarHermitTheStarHermit Posts: 280 Member
    I upgrade everything that can be upgraded, extra options and moodlets make it worth it. I find the reward for the Nerd Brain aspiration, "Instant Upgrade" a real boon since it does'nt cost any parts; pity it can only be used once a day. :smile:
    "Get your facts first, then you can distort them as much as you please." - Mark Twain
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    I upgrade everything that can be upgraded, extra options and moodlets make it worth it. I find the reward for the Nerd Brain aspiration, "Instant Upgrade" a real boon since it does'nt cost any parts; pity it can only be used once a day. :smile:

I use a mod that takes away the Instant Upgrade cooldown period. My Sims ain't got time for that. B)
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    kalaksedkalaksed Posts: 2,643 Member
    i absolutely love upgrading items in the households that i have sims that learn the handiness skill (and i sometimes make them, especially those that earn the 'instant upgrade' ability, visit other sims specifically to upgrade a few of their household items). not everything gets an option to make them unbreakable, and there are still ways to break unbreakable things (...looking at you as an example, ghosts)

but things like self-cleaning for most plumbing fixtures or better meal quality for the stove and fridge, better quality tea or both fireplace upgrades...those are so great to have.
  • Options
    greenXengreenXen Posts: 1,227 Member

Spending thousands? You know your Sims can "salvage for parts" in piles of trash and get upgrade parts for free? Some of them can also salvage for parts in trashcans.

And, yeah, I upgrade a lot because it lets me use lower end items that might otherwise be traded in for high end items that have some of the upgrades already built in.
  • Options
    Voldarian_EmpireVoldarian_Empire Posts: 134 Member
    I put all the bells and whistles in the bathroom parts and every morning when my sims did their bathroom routines they would get I think 3 happy moodlet increases which helped get them into the ideal career mood easier (and stave off things like the dang sad moodlet because mr pancakes who I only met once died) I say it's worth it myself but I salvaged all the parts really until I had enough excess money where it didn't matter to use a little for upgrade parts
  • Options
    catmando830catmando830 Posts: 9,117 Member
    I solved the dryer catching fire problem. I don't have one.
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    @kalaksed True, true, true... as long as those things work they way they say (the upgrades). I'm usually too busy bossing my Sims around to track whether anyone had to clean the toilet (which is still destroyed by diarrhea or vomit I assume? Hmmmm, guess I need to spy a bit. Gotta leave something for the maid, right?). I assume many upgrades are working as expected, I was just a bit unnerved when I had them do all - ALL - upgrades and all and those stupid bathroom plumbing issues are still there continually. So... I was assuming the other upgrades may or may not be doing what they say. I made a greenhouse with earth in the middle so I could use the sprinklers (huge time saver, especially since not all of my towns are letting me hire gardeners... :/ ), and those things couldn't stop breaking long enough for him to get through all of the upgrades! I hope they are better now, as they run almost constantly now (what's up with that?).

@greenXen Ummm... yea, I know they can scavenge for parts (which I used to always have them do, especially when their money was tight), but they never seem to have the right ones in their inventory for most of the upgrades anyway, and I got sick of doing the run-around to always have them do the scavenge. I usually drag it to the trash later now. They have the money for the parts, it just annoys me that the parts cost so much then I keep having to re-purchase as they continue the upgrades because they run out of the parts they need to do the upgrades... thousands of bucks later. So... I was expecting more than I got from those upgrades. I don't really mind, as I usually have someone who can use the skill work, but just seems a bit costly for what you get and some 'false advertising'. I'd be better off to get the more expensive upscale item, but I thought it would work out to be similar. Between you and me, I actually have germ-type OCD in real life (seriously) and it freaks me out a bit to have them scavenge through other people's trash. Sorry, I'm a bit of a weirdo in that way. ;) Hahaha...

@catmando830 That just made me laugh and still does. I'm with you... Who wants to do more laundry? That one's a bridge to far for me. Hahaha....

@stilljustme2 What an instant upgrade?
    Sims 4 Gallery
  • Options
    kalaksedkalaksed Posts: 2,643 Member
    edited September 2018
    thestarhermit mentioned instant upgrades earlier, and how to get access to it. it's the reward trait for the 'nerd brain' aspiration:

28bee334f2fe96978cf782d84483ed4d.png

it lets your sim give an object all its upgrades at once, and uses zero upgrade parts. usable once per day, per sim (which is why i often have my 6 sim household with the trait on everyone go upgrade things for everyone else)

also, i double checked while in this household where the mother has the aspiration (and many others) completed, but nothing upgraded. it appears most of the normal plumbing fixtures don't have an option to be made unbreakable

fdd51937fd79cb7e1a0ffa87016e4817.png
    773e592e65172667e207ef9ad1f86fd0.png
    44a289c64c52cbf10fe23b271577c46b.png
    22cb9a1c08118d7475d45ac5309fba6a.png
    (pardon the house, it's a bit weird, since it belongs to a half-alien vampire with a boho style)
  • Options
    Karababy52Karababy52 Posts: 5,952 Member
    edited September 2018
    I always upgrade everything as soon as possible for a couple reasons. The stackable moodlets are great to enhance other moods for one thing. Plus it's great having your Sims hygiene go up when they use the toilet. Sometimes they don't even need a shower afterwards and it also cuts the time needed to use those things almost in half or even less. Lastly, because I absolutely adore having the Retro station on stereos to hear TS2 songs.

Oh and just a tip for those who don't mind doing something a bit cheaty to get free parts. You don't have to spend thousands. All you have to do is scavenge for parts then click to throw away. BUT, immediately cancel the action and they'll drop the bag allowing your Sim to scavenge again. You can do this over and over for as long as you want to get more parts. Just make sure their trash can is far away. ;)

The only drawback is the time consumption. I think it's worth it though if your Sim doesn't have a lot of simoleons to spend on parts or enough satisfaction points to spend on rewards to eliminate those needs.

EDIT: One more thing, I never get the thermostat for my Sims, they all have a fireplace to keep warm and it's always on except in late Spring/Summer. I have not had one fire yet and that's one thing I've never upgraded. I didn't even know it was upgradable until I read about it in another thread.
  • Options
    February11February11 Posts: 12,658 Member
    The only one I had fun with was in TS3, the doorbell update. You get some fun doorbells.
    MLgj4Vx.png
  • Options
    83bienchen83bienchen Posts: 2,577 Member
    I miss an option to upgrade beds, so that they give more energy. I like some of the looks of the cheaper beds a lot but they are literally torturing the Sims who own them. I finally modded that myself (https://www.deichschafblog.de/s4/sonstige-mods/), but I would still appreciate EA taking care of that.

I like the upgrades self lighting fireplace and bidet to the toilet a lot. I also like the upgrade for the stereo that gives the Retro channel.

Every time I update the tea pot, I regret it, because afterwards it always gets buggy and needs to be replaced because the foul tea can no longer be removed. Also until some patches ago, the upgraded tea pot used to just vanisch from the game completely (which is luckily fixed by now).

I think the upgraded items break significantly less, but they still break quite a bit as the original breaking chance is too high without mods.
    Now now EA, don't be stinking up our lovely lavender bath with your shopping fart. - My TS4 mods - Gallery ID: 83bienchen
  • Options
    Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,109 Member
    In my main save the plumbing objects seem to break a lot. Then again, some of them probably need to be replaced with higher quality items when the sims can afford it.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.