Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Unplayed PreMade Sims Quitting Occupations

JaysimsJaysims Posts: 209 Member
edited September 2018 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
So I don’t know if this is just my game but whenever I play with a specific household for a while and I decide to switch over to another household that I haven’t played yet, the sims in that new unplayed household have already quit their jobs for new careers that they don’t have the skill points for.

Is this happening in anyone else’s game?

It’s really annoying because then I have to make them quit their new careers and return to the old careers starting at Level 1 :s

Comments

• Options
    AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    Do you have any mods that enables story progression?
    Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
  • Options

Nope.

I don’t have any mods or CC in my game.
  • Options
    Jaysims wrote: »

Nope.

I don’t have any mods or CC in my game.

And those sims have jobs because you created them yourself or downloaded them from the gallery with jobs already, right?
    Then that is really odd. I have never had this happened to me as far as I can remember. It must be some sort of bug, sorry I can't be more helpful.
  • Options
    And those sims have jobs because you created them yourself or downloaded them from the gallery with jobs already, right?

Actually, no. The Sims that I’m talking about are premade.

For instance, Mortimer Goth comes in the game with a career as a writer (I know this because I just know). But if I play with another household for too long and I decide that I want to play the Goths for the first time, by the time I get there Mortimer has probably quit his job to become a doctor or something.

Am I making sense?
  • Options

For instance, Mortimer Goth comes in the game with a career as a writer (I know this because I just know). But if I play with another household for too long and I decide that I want to play the Goths for the first time, by the time I get there Mortimer has probably quit his job to become a doctor or something.

Am I making sense?

Yes you are ;)
    I never play or paid attention to premades' jobs but the game shouldn't have any sort of story progression like that, I don't think the issue is by design.
  • Options
    But I swear I don’t use mods or custom content (I’m wayyy too paranoid) so I really don’t know what’s going on there.
  • Options
    afai1261afai1261 Posts: 2,030 Member
    Before I got into mods, one of my sims was an athlete, then I marked him as unplayed and he became a writer. I noticed this once with one premade, when Moira Fyres, unemployed, decided to become a politician :D
  • Options
    afai1261 wrote: »
    Before I got into mods, one of my sims was an athlete, then I marked him as unplayed and he became a writer. I noticed this once with one premade, when Moira Fyres, unemployed, decided to become a politician :D

YES! Exactly! Thank heavens it isn’t only me lol
  • Options
    TiarellaTiarella Posts: 661 Member
    edited September 2018
    If you're willing to use cheats, you can quickly cheat your sim into the correct career and level.

SimsVip career cheats
    Carl's TS4 career cheats
    TwistedMexi's career cheats

edited to remove spacing error
  • Options
    paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    AH, yes in my games it's not uncommon where premades just up and drop their designated jobs for something else if the game decides it needs to fill the correct "niche" in a save. In fact, I always see the usual premades in the same specific roles all the time bc of this! Like how Geoffrey Landgraab became a vet in 3 diff saves of mine.
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • Options
    AprilDawnAprilDawn Posts: 795 Member
    This always happens now and it is annoying - they pull the premades to fill all the roles - like vendors and bartenders. Since every new pack usually adds more roles - more and more premades lose their original jobs . I thought that is what townies are supposed to be for.
  • Options
    kalaksedkalaksed Posts: 2,643 Member
    i've had this happen with multiple households, which is why both the goth and landgraab families are now in my 'rotational' list of played households (i get around to each one...eventually. just whenever i have an idea for them or want to focus on something for them. but currently my 'rotation' is 'play a full seasonal year as the fyres' with long seasons

got so tired of bella and nancy both becoming stay at home moms constantly when both already had great and fitting jobs (secret agent and criminal, respectively). and dominic fyres kept trying to become a masseuse before i flagged his household as played too (and seasons finally gave me something to do with them other than just ensure they kept the same jobs. moira is a great option for gardener, botanist path in my game)

the munch matriarch is a random street food vendor in my game, but i just haven't cared enough to fix that. (well, that and i have no clue what she even was in the first place). and i've got dozens upon dozens of jobless townies that just don't get used for anything. it seems like the game even forgets they're there. some of them haven't even done walkbys in ages

...this was actually one of the reasons i installed mccc for a few days, hoping to set various sims for specific careers, but that doesn't seem to be an option in all the stuff it can do. (it was handy for fixing a set of family relationships that got borked, and trying to get my vampire, alien, and ghost butlers to work. though, just in a short-term capacity for the non-aliens, unfortunately)
  • Options
    paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    @kalaksed I believe Mila Munch was a caterer(?) originally; I noticed she has clothes from at least one branch of the Culinary career, and ties into her initial membership in Clara Bjergsen's cooking club.
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • Options
    I figured out how to prevent this today I think lol

I started a new game and I went to each and every premade household so that they’re marked as “played” now. I think that’ll prevent them from quitting their jobs.

It was SO tedious and time consuming.
  • Options
    kalaksedkalaksed Posts: 2,643 Member
    yup, that's exactly what i've been doing with the ones that it matters to me on. glad there's a work-around, but it's frustrating to have to do, especially when there are so many unused townies sitting around (i've got over 300 favorited sims in my game, quite a few purposefully unplayed townies that are supposed to be picked for some of the townie jobs. and around that many unfavorited households too, for the same reason. and yet, many of them have been just unemployed for ages)
  • Options
    OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member
    AprilDawn wrote: »
    This always happens now and it is annoying - they pull the premades to fill all the roles - like vendors and bartenders. Since every new pack usually adds more roles - more and more premades lose their original jobs . I thought that is what townies are supposed to be for.

Correct! In TS2 those jobs are handled by either townies or NPCs, depending on the job. The only way a playable sim - pre made or own - did any of that is via the 'work as...' option, and then it was only for as long as you chose to let it run. How much of this is stupidity, lousy/lazy programming, or a FUBAR engine I have no idea.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Premades changing jobs have been happening since a patch about two + years ago or longer. It's normal. When they stopped your own Sims from changing jobs a hundred patches ago.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    KiTh_97KiTh_97 Posts: 41 Member
    I'll just ask it here rather than create a new thread.

For clarification, do I have to mark them as played to prevent them from losing their jobs or do I just have to move them to My Housholds?

Thanks!
  • Options
    ModerateOspreyModerateOsprey Posts: 4,875 Member
    KiTh_97 wrote: »

For clarification, do I have to mark them as played to prevent them from losing their jobs or do I just have to move them to My Housholds?

Thanks!

Yes, select the heart symbol and mark them as played. The household should then move to your My Households tab and count against your allotted 150 sims. You don't actually have to play them.
    Awake.
    Shake dreams from your hair
    My pretty child, my sweet one.
    Choose the day and choose the sign of your day
    The day's divinity....
    The Ghost Song - Jim Morrison
  • Options

Thanks!

Yes, select the heart symbol and mark them as played. The household should then move to your My Households tab and count against your allotted 150 sims. You don't actually have to play them.

Thanks. I tried doing that, and I noticed that a household cannot be marked as Played and in Other Households at the same time. Because they are automatically marked as Unplayed when moved to Other Households.

What are the consequences of having more than 150 Sims in My Households?
  • Options
    ModerateOspreyModerateOsprey Posts: 4,875 Member
    edited July 2021

Thanks!

Thanks. I tried doing that, and I noticed that a household cannot be marked as Played and in Other Households at the same time. Because they are automatically marked as Unplayed when moved to Other Households.

I do apologise. I just got up when I posted. I'll try again :)

You DO have to play them if you want to prevent the game from changing their careers. You don't have to play them any length of time as long as you go into live mode with the household. This will move the household into My households and darken the plumbomb. Their careers will become fixed.

I believe 150 played sims is a hard limit in an unmodded game. You can't play any more sims after that limit is reached. These played sims in my households will not get culled by the game.

The game can do pretty much what it likes to any sims in Other Households. I am not 100% sure, but if the game doesn't find suitable sims in there for a needed role, the it will generate sims. Once another cap is reached (800 sims, I think), then the game will remove some sims, but not from My Households.

Awake.
    Shake dreams from your hair
    My pretty child, my sweet one.
    Choose the day and choose the sign of your day
    The day's divinity....
    The Ghost Song - Jim Morrison
  • Options

Thanks!

I do apologise. I just got up when I posted. I'll try again :)

You DO have to play them if you want to prevent the game from changing their careers. You don't have to play them any length of time as long as you go into live mode with the household. This will move the household into My households and darken the plumbomb. Their careers will become fixed.

I believe 150 played sims is a hard limit in an unmodded game. You can't play any more sims after that limit is reached. These played sims in my households will not get culled by the game.

The game can do pretty much what it likes to any sims in Other Households. I am not 100% sure, but if the game doesn't find suitable sims in there for a needed role, the it will generate sims. Once another cap is reached (800 sims, I think), then the game will remove some sims, but not from My Households.

Thanks.

I see the option to set the maximum to 200 (and even infinite) although 150 is marked as recommended.

I also thought that only those in Other Households can appear in the hiring panel of businesses such as restaurants and retail stores. However, I was very surprised to see one of the Sims in My Households in the hiring panel of Chez Llama. I think that was because that Sim is not placed in a residential lot.

Aside from being in My Households or not, being placed in a lot could probably be a factor too.
  • Options
    PeralPeral Posts: 873 Member

Am I making sense?

The game do use premade Sims for careers like doctors, scientists, cops and other active careers
  • Options
    Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    This is why I have a vanilla save that I have gone through and marked all of the pre-made households as played. Then they keep their jobs etc. I can just open it and immediately save as and start a new game and I can even skip the hassle of immediately entering CAS if I want. It’s a great shortcut. I do use MCCC and this way story progression only happens to the random townies, and any household I choose by intentionally marking them as unplayed. It’s great!