Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How often does your game crash

I know crashes are a fairly common thing for TS3, so I was curious how often it happens to you. I can go a couple months without one, but then it’ll happen several times in a row. Usually clearing out some CC and caches helps. Also, please say how much CC you have.

How often does your game crash 85 votes

Hardly ever
63%
IdontrcallEmily4331suzsesJessa_DakkarRhiannon58MmdrgntobldrgnAnmirlasimgirl1010ParyMe1620dreamerz13queenmaybellineSillyhartluvSemaviLadyMikezumiemorrillJoAnne65cwaddelljillbgGabbyGirlJ 54 votes
Maybe once every 5-10 times I load up
10%
nickibitswardKatryabecks1112r0b0tman5ZeiSimtown15KNORearpinneduphairNikkei_Simmer 9 votes
Only when I download new CC
1%
jaqsre 1 vote
Once every other time I load up
4%
JazzypooInfraGreencomicsforlifeSummerRoxy 4 votes
Once every couple months
20%
GraceyManoryesme88CororonApparentlyAwesomealanmichael1kiara07SimplyJenRsandaJemliaSims4MagicalTalesxxnearlyperfectxking_of_simcity7budewarminTinySpaceFoxGoulsquashTeslachick2soko37 17 votes

Comments

• Options
    CravenLestatCravenLestat Posts: 13,735 Member
    edited September 2018
    It doesn't

As far as CC none other than created patterns I make,only put poses in my game recently so the only mod would be pose player and the one that unlocks simport rewards.

Would not be playing if my game crashed even every 5th or 10th load up would have dropped Sims 3 a long time ago.If it crashed every other load up would never have gotten past buying base game.

No answer fits so typed my answer.And you still get an awesome though :p

I Play Sims 3 On A Potato

DfydFiZ.gif
  • Options
    puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    Hardly ever
    My game hasn't crashed since I Bootcamped my mac a few months ago. Granted, I only have a few packs installed, and maybe a dozen mods (mostly from NRaas) to keep the game in line, but so far I've had very little trouble from TS3. ::knocks on wood::

When I was playing in mac OS, crashes were occasional but not common. On my newish computer, I probably got half a dozen crashes in the 4-5 months before Bootcamp, again with NRaas taking care of business. But that was because I was careless, and then igazor set me straight.

I don't use and have never installed any custom content.
  • Options
    becks1112becks1112 Posts: 919 Member
    Sometimes I can go weeks without a crash, other times it'll happen a few times in a row. It just happened about 5 minutes ago and also last night, so apparently I'm in the bad zone right now.
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    edited September 2018
    Once every couple months
    A mix between Once every couple of months and Hardly Ever...

It's either because I've been playing for 5-6+ hours and the game has run out of ram or I'm constantly lowering the game. Since I've reduced how much CC/mods I keep installed at once, the game hardly ever hits ram cap. I try to keep my tablet in front of me so I don't have to constantly lower the game for things. 1.3 GB of CC/mods installed currently. Another thing that tips it off is coming in and out of CAS a lot. Old habits :#

All of my content is archived onto a flash + external hdd so I just pull from that and install what I need instead of having it all installed at once. (that collection adds up to be around 5GB not including store backups) If only this game wasn't 32 bit it could really put my 16GB of ram to good use. :p
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    jillbgjillbg Posts: 4,600 Member
    edited September 2018
    Hardly ever
    Hardly ever, with about 4.10 Gb cc ingame. :) I'm playing like @SimplyJen , with my cell or tablet with pics of the poses I use. Oh, and I clear all the caches after every game...
    Edit: just checked my external harddrive for how much cc I possess = 64Gb!!!
    NymlADp.jpg
  • Options
    IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    edited September 2018
    Hardly ever
    It only crashes if there's something wrong, like for example, I let the game generate a new folder and am reinstalling my store content, and I put all of my mods in the mod folder before installing all of it, and try to open the game to check on things before I've installed something a mod is made for, like NRaas Cupcake with the bakery not yet installed. It will crash to the desktop as soon as it starts loading the mods.

That hardly ever happens. More often, I may occasionally get a hard freeze where the game won't unfreeze and the only thing I can do is shut it down with the task manager. There is usually a reason for that too, such as doing too much at a time in CAS and build/buy, without saving, quitting, clearing cache files and opening the game again. Usually when it does happen, I restart my computer to make sure everything is cleared from memory. Then I can go on without further trouble.
    Post edited by IreneSwift on
  • Options
    Bettyboop55Bettyboop55 Posts: 2,646 Member
    Hardly ever
    I've got my fingers crossed on this one and am busy touching wood. Since I got this laptop nearly two years ago and sorted out my graphics settings properly the game has behaved reasonably well.

I do not use mods or cc. I also use disks and version 1.67. I really couldn't say if that makes a difference. Probably not but I am a complete numpty when it comes to IT.

The only time I have problems with the game is when I use EIG in CAW. Then the game will crash if I attempt a save which uses the glass floor tiles from ITF. This I put down to the temperamental nature of CAW/EIG rather than the game.
    I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.
    Wherever I am friends call me Betty

Sim enim est vita
  • Options
    GraceyManorGraceyManor Posts: 20,080 Member
    edited September 2018
    Once every couple months
    It doesn't really crash per say, once in a while it does.But my CAS likes to run slow.And certain worlds are full of unroutable lots.-_- causing mass issues.Or its because I have been playing for like 4 hrs non-stop and the game seems to get bloated.
  • Options
    dreamerz13dreamerz13 Posts: 9,927 Member
    edited September 2018
    Hardly ever
    Not very often. Usually when it does it's because it's literally been days since I've properly shut down my game and computer. I guess at some point you're supposed to do those things... oops lol.

Edit to answer the CC part I missed lol. I use A LOT of cc. Idk just how much I have but it's a lot. And I layer my sims in it like crazy. Sometimes houses too.
    Post edited by dreamerz13 on
  • Options
    bekkasanbekkasan Posts: 10,171 Member
    Hardly ever
    It is a rarity when it crashes.
  • Options
    GoulsquashGoulsquash Posts: 715 Member
    Once every couple months
    I only get crashes when I spend too much time in CAS, so really I could never have crashes, but sometimes you get caught up in it!

I have zero CC, though I do use many mods.
    My Blog - Currently updating Aurora Skies!
  • Options
    SiliCloneSiliClone Posts: 2,585 Member
    Hardly ever
    Doesn't crash at all without mods.
  • Options
    MikezumiMikezumi Posts: 49,697 Member
    Hardly ever
    Mine is very rare and it's usually my fault. I know when I have spent too much time in CAS (I give makeovers to all townies on their birthdays) or if I have been playing too long and decide to throw a big party in a save that has gone for several generations that things might go wrong.
    I use CC and mods.
  • Options
    cocococo Posts: 2,726 Member
    Hardly ever
    I hardly ever get crashes.

BUT it depends with how I'm playing my game. I've had a lot of trouble with Error 12s in the past, with long running worlds where the game slowly stopped being able to function. Crashes came a dime a dozen then because the game had practically used up all its resources just by loading the save. It wasn't solely due to cc but just by a combination of things like population size, family tree history, graphics, demanding EPs etc.
  • Options
    ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    Hardly ever
    Very rarely crash, and only if I've been tabbing out way too much. The game hates that. I usually keep my IPad handy like everyone else. I have 2.9 gigs of CC, and I clear my caches after every play session.
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • Options
    Odonata68Odonata68 Posts: 1,076 Member
    Hardly ever
    The only real crash I had was, maybe, a year ago. I spent some serious time in CASt, decorating and remodeling a pre-made house. Since then, I only get the very rare "lock up" where the game seems to freeze but some animations play (plumbob still moves). If I give it a minute, it'll go back to normal. Getting a decent computer has made all the difference. :)
  • Options
    Once every couple months
    dreamerz13 wrote: »
    Not very often. Usually when it does it's because it's literally been days since I've properly shut down my game and computer. I guess at some point you're supposed to do those things... oops lol.

That's me.Sometimes I go to bed and forget to exit out lol.
  • Options
    MmdrgntobldrgnMmdrgntobldrgn Posts: 6,680 Member
    Hardly ever
    Mine is hardly ever, but I treat my game like a high maintenance show critter.

Since I've got everything on cd, I untied from origin and back stepped to patch 1.67.
    Each game is saved using save as with a title followed by a number.
    I only use the launcher to upload or download, for game play I've got the nocd mod that lets me skip the launcher.
    If I've used the launcher I clear all .tmp filles out of the DCCache folder, and make sure that only the ccmerged file is in DCBackup.
    I clear all cache files from the WorlldCache folder after each game, as well as all other caches in the main folder.
    I never store more than 4 game saves in the save folder.
    All screenshots get relocated or deleted after each game session too.
    I used @ciane 's awesome trick of making the featured content a read only folder, no more thousands of icons clogging up in the background.
    I also used ciane's method of store install for my store content.
    If the game gets laggy, I'll make a copy of the save and run it through save cleaner.
    I also use the overwatch mod, nraas story progression sometimes but not always.
    Minimal 3rd party cc, same for mods.

It may seem like a lot, but only takes about 30 seconds to a minute after each game session; and it's how I was able to run the game on my hubby's pc while mine was waiting to be fixed.
    Peace, GranMama Dragon
    Exploring life through imagination & satire since 1969.
    Save Game Often
    repair & clear caches Often
    S3 Studio
    S3 blog Story, lists of empty lots by world
    Behrooz
    S2/3/4 Randomnes
  • Options
    Once every couple months
    @Mmdrgntobldrgn
    Thank you for sharing that info, I may give that a go to fix up my game.
  • Options
    becks1112becks1112 Posts: 919 Member
    This thread jinxed me. I just got an Error 12 for the first time in ages.
  • Options
    dreamerz13dreamerz13 Posts: 9,927 Member
    Hardly ever
    dreamerz13 wrote: »

That's me.Sometimes I go to bed and forget to exit out lol.

I'm just too lazy lol. I haven't played in 3 or 4 days but my game has been sitting in the background the whole time lol. To be fair I really planned to play a lot while I was on vacation... it just didn't happen. But that's why I left it open. I know it's a bad idea and I'm trying to stop but it's a very old habit lol.
  • Options
    Once every couple months
    Ok, weird, my game just now crashed.LOL analyzer says max memory reached...That shouldn't be I have plenty of memory on this computer.
  • Options
    MmdrgntobldrgnMmdrgntobldrgn Posts: 6,680 Member
    Hardly ever
    Ok, weird, my game just now crashed.LOL analyzer says max memory reached...That shouldn't be I have plenty of memory on this computer.

@Springfairy556 sims is a memory hog sadly. I don't usually run anything beyond basic functions when I sim.

Some additional steps I forgot to mention, if I minimize the game even just to look up names, I pause the game. I also don't play logged in unless I'm specifically trying for the showtime tours. I also play with memory turned off, as well as the loading game for ltr points.

The other bit is if I'm playing one save and decide I want to switch to another save, or start a completely new game, then I completely exit the game. It's a known, unfixed bug, that switching worlds(one game save for another) at the main menu transfers stray bits of data to the new game.
    Peace, GranMama Dragon
    Exploring life through imagination & satire since 1969.
    Save Game Often
    repair & clear caches Often
    S3 Studio
    S3 blog Story, lists of empty lots by world
    Behrooz
    S2/3/4 Randomnes
  • Options
    Once every couple months
    Wow! Thanks for all the tidbits! Bookmarking this s thread.
  • Options
    afai1261afai1261 Posts: 2,030 Member
    Hardly ever
    As far as I can remember, its only crashed on me once on a computer that no longer works :p
    Surprisingly, it hasn't crashed on the machine I run it on now yet(it's an old thing with 2gb of RAM and runs Windows XP :D )