Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Book club - Open for nominations

Comments

• Options
    CitizenErased14CitizenErased14 Posts: 12,187 Member
    My precious baby D2D in book club?! :scream: Ooh I totally forgot this was happening! Wedding planning is my life right now, so I’ve been so absent around the forums! And I eternally apologize to @AudreyFld for not stopping by her book club!

In fact... let me (very late!) throw out some thoughts on her story (which I love so much!)

I have really loved seeing how different all the heirs are to each other in this story! Ben had his transformation from womanizer who dabbled in illegal activities to a compassionate family man who braved tragedy and grew so much as a person.

Then we had sweet, romantic Cole who was so unlike his father in his love life! So many ups and downs and so much heartbreak! Though, like his dad, he found that the person he needed to be with in the end was one who’d been there from the start :heart:

And now we have Reagan, with her rocky relationship with her father and her longing for a connection with her mother... There are so many layers to this story and I love them all! Each generation really lives up to its title, but each time we see it play out in a different way :heart:

Sorry for being so late with the NB love, and I am honored that D2D is being featured again after so long :blush:
    snvAF3B.png
  • Options
    AudreyFldAudreyFld Posts: 6,695 Member
    Thank you @AudreyFld for sharing New Beginnings with us. I had a quick peak at the simLit and definitely gonna put it on my reading list.
    I'm also a big fan of the cc you use on your sims. They look so cool!

Thanks for the kind words! I was afraid this died a slow death! Hopefully - @CitizenErased14's Dust 2 Dust will revive interest! :)
  • Options
    My precious baby D2D in book club?! :scream: Ooh I totally forgot this was happening! Wedding planning is my life right now, so I’ve been so absent around the forums! And I eternally apologize to @AudreyFld for not stopping by her book club!

In fact... let me (very late!) throw out some thoughts on her story (which I love so much!)

I have really loved seeing how different all the heirs are to each other in this story! Ben had his transformation from womanizer who dabbled in illegal activities to a compassionate family man who braved tragedy and grew so much as a person.

Then we had sweet, romantic Cole who was so unlike his father in his love life! So many ups and downs and so much heartbreak! Though, like his dad, he found that the person he needed to be with in the end was one who’d been there from the start :heart:

And now we have Reagan, with her rocky relationship with her father and her longing for a connection with her mother... There are so many layers to this story and I love them all! Each generation really lives up to its title, but each time we see it play out in a different way :heart:

Sorry for being so late with the NB love, and I am honored that D2D is being featured again after so long :blush:

OMG! Thank you! I've had (and am still having) so much fun with this story. I'm very happy you feel that each generation is so much different from the one before it.

Ben - I love him soooo much - he has definitely had the most growth. Cole, Ben's son, is still struggling, but at least he found someone to love. His kids with his ex-wife .... ugh. You would expect he would excel at fatherhood, but in trying to protect his children, he alienated them and pushed them towards his ex-wife. Maybe he'll eventually come around! And then Reagan, Cole's daughter is still working on finding herself through a relationship with her mother, (the ex-wife) that didn't quite work out the first time, but now she's getting another shot at it.

Thanks again for the story love! <3
  • Options
    It’s been fun thinking back on D2D a bit for me! I can’t believe July will be for years since I started that story! My first ever simlit... I had no clue what I was doing, all I knew was that I had a story I wanted to tell! Even now, Lucas and Evelyn are such dear characters to me, and I still hope to revisit their story in novel-form one day!

Back when I first came up with the concept behind the story, it was going to be a much more straightforward, romantic love story... but then it turned into something so much more. I know there are still some angry Lucas and Evelyn shippers out there who will probably never forgive me (sorry!!! :tongue:) but (in my humble opinion!), the fact that their love story ultimately turned out to be one of platonic love made their journey that much more powerful.

Love comes in so many forms and can transcend so much (even death!); and it doesn’t always have to be romantic love to be powerful and beautiful. Lucas and Evelyn began their journey together as a lost and lonely little boy and a lost and lonely soul. They needed each other so much, and in the end, I think their love and friendship ended up saving each other :heart:

Sorry for all the rambling! This isn’t even leading to a question or anything haha just some wistful reminiscing from me! :heart:
    snvAF3B.png
  • Options
    friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    It’s been fun thinking back on D2D a bit for me! I can’t believe July will be for years since I started that story! My first ever simlit... I had no clue what I was doing, all I knew was that I had a story I wanted to tell! Even now, Lucas and Evelyn are such dear characters to me, and I still hope to revisit their story in novel-form one day!

Back when I first came up with the concept behind the story, it was going to be a much more straightforward, romantic love story... but then it turned into something so much more. I know there are still some angry Lucas and Evelyn shippers out there who will probably never forgive me (sorry!!! :tongue:) but (in my humble opinion!), the fact that their love story ultimately turned out to be one of platonic love made their journey that much more powerful.

Love comes in so many forms and can transcend so much (even death!); and it doesn’t always have to be romantic love to be powerful and beautiful. Lucas and Evelyn began their journey together as a lost and lonely little boy and a lost and lonely soul. They needed each other so much, and in the end, I think their love and friendship ended up saving each other :heart:

Sorry for all the rambling! This isn’t even leading to a question or anything haha just some wistful reminiscing from me! :heart:

now i think i know where i got the idea for matthew. beverly rylans mom first husband true love soulmate best friend. love of her life. my readers never actually meet him cause hes died 10 years beforerylan meets ayden and the rest of the benders. i read about lucas but unlike your story matthew is never seen. but thanks for implanting the idea. i love this story :)
  • Options
    Ohh. Dust to Dust was the first simlit story that I fully immersed myself in. I totally binged it. And that’s when I discovered simlit was a real thing! I was sooo late to the simlit thing. I not only loved that the ending was unexpected, but also that it actually HAD an ending. I love stories to tell a story about a character and their struggles with a beginning a middle and an end - and endings are oftentimes very difficult to determine for the author - as is the nature of simlit. So it’s a rare treat to see a story through to the end. Congratulations to @CitizenErased14 for not only a great story but for finishing it!
  • Options
    Thank you @friendsfan367 ! I’m so happy D2D managed to offer a bit of inspiration! :heart:

@AudreyFld :heart: Thank you! D2D was the first story I ever finished... its HARD to see a story through to the end, and sometimes I still wonder how I managed it! :joy:
    snvAF3B.png
  • Options
    Thank you @friendsfan367 ! I’m so happy D2D managed to offer a bit of inspiration! :heart:

@AudreyFld :heart: Thank you! D2D was the first story I ever finished... its HARD to see a story through to the end, and sometimes I still wonder how I managed it! :joy:

your also my dialouge tutor when i get stuck. :)
  • Options
    @friendsfan367 and a cute little weirdo? :tongue: Hehe
    snvAF3B.png
  • Options
    @friendsfan367 and a cute little weirdo? :tongue: Hehe

yes your my cute little weirdo. :)
  • Options
    Julyvee94Julyvee94 Posts: 6,694 Member
    I just wanted to pop in real quick for the D2D discussion.

D2D was one of the first SimLit stories I started reading and it gripped me from the start! @CitizenErased14 has a way of writing that just keeps me coming back for more. I thoroughly enjoyed the story and I liked that it had a lot of twists and turns, especially in the end (no spoilers though). The characters are well fleshed out and I got invested in them - some I liked and some I disliked but even disliking a character speaks to the authors writing skills. All around still one of the best simlit stories I have read and I'm glad so many people like it too :) And I want to give a special shoutout to @CitizenErased14 for finishing such a long story (and starting another one, lol, you crazy). Maybe I should read it again soon :D
  • Options
    Thank you so much @Julyvee94 ! :heart: I have always appreciated your support of D2D (and now A2A too!). And oh man... you’re making me wanna do a reread too! I bet the screenshots (and some of the writing!) will make me cringe now though :joy:
    snvAF3B.png
  • Options
    Thank you so much @Julyvee94 ! :heart: I have always appreciated your support of D2D (and now A2A too!). And oh man... you’re making me wanna do a reread too! I bet the screenshots (and some of the writing!) will make me cringe now though :joy:

and she wonders why i nicknamed her cute little weirdo. both stories are awesome. but as they say were are own worst critic.

i don't actually remember when i started calling her cute little weirdo. just that i loved the story at the time i was reading dust 2 dust well bits and pieces but enough to know it was great.

i think i was on attempt1 of th benders just to give you a idea of the timeline but i rember you being stressed about your writing cause your a perfectionist. self proclaimed and i believe that i started calling you cute little weirdo cause iknew it was great.

• Options
    simscognitosimscognito Posts: 16,599 Member
    Hi everyone, thank you @CitizenErased14 for sharing Dust to Dust with us. It's one of my favourite simLits.

For these next two weeks, we are featuring @Karilan's How to Live with Grace, with @BlackUndecimber as our coffee host.
  • Options
    BlackUndecimberBlackUndecimber Posts: 1,116 Member
    Hi everyone!
    Unfortunately, since the end of last year when the list of simlits for the book club were decided, life has become busy for both me and our writer, Karilan. She is currently on a break from writing and won't be around for the discussion, so I was thinking maybe we can have a casual chat about what we love about How to Live with Grace.
    It is one of my favourite simlits- gentle and loving, and at times heartbreaking. If you haven't read it, I would strongly suggest you try!
    Anyone else want to share their thoughts?
  • Options
    MorningstarMorningstar Posts: 318 Member
    Hi everyone!
    Unfortunately, since the end of last year when the list of simlits for the book club were decided, life has become busy for both me and our writer, Karilan. She is currently on a break from writing and won't be around for the discussion, so I was thinking maybe we can have a casual chat about what we love about How to Live with Grace.
    It is one of my favourite simlits- gentle and loving, and at times heartbreaking. If you haven't read it, I would strongly suggest you try!

I've been absent from book club for awhile (months :( ), but I had to come back when I saw the title changed to How to Live with Grace! I've read it as part of the Phoenix Puffclaws Reading Circle (although that circle is mostly dormant right now).

I think what I love most about this story of Karilan's is the attention she pays to the character of each Sim. Since it is a gameplay-based story, she puts a lot of thought into how the traits and actions of her Sims come together to make them the 'person' they are and channels that into her writing and storytelling. There are great characters in lots of SimLit, but I really admire Karilan's ability to translate the game into a story that feels personal.
    From the town's first community lot to each household and rabbit hole, watch the stories unfold...
    Rebuilding Appaloosa Plains
    Prologue & Chapters 1-18 out now!
    Origin ID: Mourning-Stars | Simming since 2000
  • Options
    BlackUndecimberBlackUndecimber Posts: 1,116 Member
    Hi everyone!

I've been absent from book club for awhile (months :( ), but I had to come back when I saw the title changed to How to Live with Grace! I've read it as part of the Phoenix Puffclaws Reading Circle (although that circle is mostly dormant right now).

I think what I love most about this story of Karilan's is the attention she pays to the character of each Sim. Since it is a gameplay-based story, she puts a lot of thought into how the traits and actions of her Sims come together to make them the 'person' they are and channels that into her writing and storytelling. There are great characters in lots of SimLit, but I really admire Karilan's ability to translate the game into a story that feels personal.

Hi!
    Reading your comment reminded me that this story is game driven- I had honestly forgotten, as elements of the game is melded so seamlessly into the story that it seems like everything was originally planned that way!
    One of the greatest things about characters in How to Live with Grace, I think, is how the sims traits are written into the story. They are a fresh yet realistic take on traits that really make the best of a not-so-ideal situation! :D
  • Options
    Hi, sorry this week's been crazy. Next week is the last week of bookclub and we'll be having a discussion about our favourite completed works of simLit.
  • Options
    Hi everyone, this week is the last week of book club for this half of the year.
    To celebrate we're going to discuss some of our favourite completed works or discarded works of simLit.
    I'll start by discussing one of my favourite finished works which is @CathyTea's Captain's Christmas, about a kid who visits their Great Uncle over Christmas. The story explores the bitter sweetness of love and loss.
    I especially loved the writing style. It was safe and comforting and it helped me come to terms with a loss of my own at the time.
    Here's the link to the simLit https://cathytea.wordpress.com/2017/12/23/captains-christmas-chapter-one/

Another favourite of mine is a work that stopped updated early last year, called Moon Logic by @IchigoUsagi. I loved the quirkiness of the story. Everything was so off the wall you started finding sense in the senseless. I really hope @IchigoUsagi comes back to this story eventually. It was a very refreshing read.
  • Options
    AdamsEve1231AdamsEve1231 Posts: 7,035 Member
    I love @CathyTea's Captain's Christmas. It's a beautiful story. I love the images in the story. CT has a great eye for capturing breathtaking shots. It is a moving meaningful journey through coping with grief and loss.
    With these forums closing down, stay connected.

Find me elsewhere:
    My EA App ID: livinasimminlife
    Livin' A Simmin' Life Stories
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Options
    Hi everyone, Bookclub is finished for this time round, but feel free to keep discussing the loved and remembered and also if you wish to nominate simLits for the next round, send me a message, or post on this thread.
  • Options
    divanthesimmerdivanthesimmer Posts: 1,462 Member
    Hey, everyone! I want to participate here, though I have slow Internet and may not always be able to post or read everyone's stories. I think I need some motivation, though, so this might help me. I haven't finished one of my ongoing stories yet - I only have the first chapters done and a few short stories (though I plan to).
    phULnBI.png
    Check out my SimLit blog here: https://ageekylegacy.wordpress.com/
    Follow me on Twitter @divanthesimmer
    Follow me on Tumblr: https://www.tumblr.com/dashboard/blog/divanthesimmer
    Origin ID: divanthesimmer
  • Options
    Pinmat135Pinmat135 Posts: 346 Member
    @simscognito What does "Loved and Remembered" mean? I'm guessing it means that the story has been completed?
  • Options
    Pinmat135 wrote: »
    @simscognito What does "Loved and Remembered" mean? I'm guessing it means that the story has been completed?

completed stories that were talking about that we loved or something like that.
  • Options
    Pinmat135 wrote: »

completed stories that were talking about that we loved or something like that.

@Pinmat135 It means completed stories that we have enjoyed. :)