Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How will semesters work in a future university pack?

Since some kind of university has been in both ts2 and ts3 and they are very popular packs, I think it's safe to say that we will get a university pack at some point. I was thinking about how they solved semesters before and how they would fit in with ts4. Basically, none of them really works for ts4. The combination of a time limit and households aging while you're not playing them would make rotational play impossible, which I can't imagine they would want, at least not with a game that's more catered towards rotational play at the moment.

How do you think they will do it? I have a theory about semesters working like jobs, where it's not a time limit and you simply "get promoted" to the next semester once you've reached the requirements. After school activities works like jobs too after all. However, I can't see how we would be able to play sims doing really bad in college then. What do you think?

(And no, I know that we don't know when university is coming out and that it might be quite some time. This is a speculative thread about something that could be years away)

Comments

• Options
    Briana2425Briana2425 Posts: 3,591 Member
    I would really like in the Sims 3 with every age from YA to Elder instead of just YA in Sims 2. I also liked how Sims 3 uni. The Sims werent stuck there like in Sims you had to stay for all four years and Sims 3 you could pick a four year or a two year and you weren't you can drop out and still go back but Sims 2 you dropped out and you couldn't go back.

The semester I feel will be timed like go to the classes do the homework/assignment I really hope they add group study because that will help out a lot and then you party after. Or have online classes like a pop up will and just like work from home you'll have all day to do the assignment until the next day if you don't finish by the next day you'll get a failing grade.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited September 2018
    Since they like to tie everything about TS4 to the Sim's phone and pc, I think there won't even be a college, but your Sim can just sit at home and take classes over their pc or phone. Now, don't you think that is probably what will happen? Especially since it's the the wave of the future, and since they said they have moved on from newspapers, they probably will move on from sending Sims to an actual school. :D
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Since they like to tie everything about TS4 to the Sim's phone and pc, I think there won't even be a college, but your Sim can just sit at home and take classes over their pc or phone. Now, don't you think that is probably what will happen? Especially since it's the the wave of the future, and since they said they have moved on from newspapers, they probably will move on from sending Sims to an actual school. :D

Thatd actually be cool as an option, as well as homeschooling.

Seeing your sims in the actual college building isnt necessary for me, it was boring in soms 3 to me.

The world itself was amazing though, comic book store, bowling alleys, cafes, dorms and a study hall were great.

In a university world the only thing id think wed honestly need are a couple dorms, comic book store, sorority houses, a study hall where students gather etc, and things like a library. The world doesnt need to be big imo.

For the first time ever, i think itd be cool jf your sims didnt have to live on campus. Now adays plenty of people still live at home. Options would be great. Imagine a college student working a job and college while taking care of their little sibling or kid.

Lots of young adults go to college, but the story of older people going back wouldnt make too much sense living on campus.

As for how it works, time freezes while in college, thats how it was in sims 2 and e and I like it.

Unplayed sims will graduate naturally without you needing to play them, so if you rotate and come back they would be more progressed. That way your sims wont go to college with the same sims all the time too lol.
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
  • Options
    MaggieMarleyMaggieMarley Posts: 5,299 Member
    edited September 2018
    I think this might well be an option, but I’d like there to be a university building in a university pack, too.

I’ve never played University for TS2 or TS3 so I don’t really know how the semesters worked in the past or will work for TS4.
  • Options
    MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    I desperately want the option to commute to Uni, so that parents have the option to study, even while they have kids at home.

I am not a fan of living on campus. I'm not a fan of dorms, because they're not realistic to me. I'm not a fan of cheerleaders, nor mascots. I'm not a fan of 'greek houses'.

I want more stuff to be optional, not forced. The game needs more things to be optional, so that we can create out own fantasy.

I want a bar on campus, cos it's a pretty normal concept here. I also want a slightly dodgy cafe, because what campus is complete without one?

As for semesters, they need to be flexible too. Allow the player to dictate when they are, and when there are uni breaks.

Overall, I want TS4 uni to be a lot like GTW, in which you can follow your sim to class, or you can stay at home with whoever is there, and send your sim to class alone (and hope that they pay attention).

AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • Options
    SpiffaiSpiffai Posts: 1 New Member
    I figure that the semesters will tie in closely with the current implemented time mechanics for seasons. Perhaps a season is a semester? This would make sense since the quickness of time is directly correlated to the length of a season. Overall, I'd think that if they were to add in a University expansion, they would have thought about this when determining the length of time for seasons.
  • Options

Thatd actually be cool as an option, as well as homeschooling.

Seeing your sims in the actual college building isnt necessary for me, it was boring in soms 3 to me.

The world itself was amazing though, comic book store, bowling alleys, cafes, dorms and a study hall were great.

In a university world the only thing id think wed honestly need are a couple dorms, comic book store, sorority houses, a study hall where students gather etc, and things like a library. The world doesnt need to be big imo.

For the first time ever, i think itd be cool jf your sims didnt have to live on campus. Now adays plenty of people still live at home. Options would be great. Imagine a college student working a job and college while taking care of their little sibling or kid.

Lots of young adults go to college, but the story of older people going back wouldnt make too much sense living on campus.

As for how it works, time freezes while in college, thats how it was in sims 2 and e and I like it.

Unplayed sims will graduate naturally without you needing to play them, so if you rotate and come back they would be more progressed. That way your sims wont go to college with the same sims all the time too lol.

This is why (bolded) I digress into ranting about simulation. :p

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    RebbilinaRebbilina Posts: 377 Member
    Spiffai wrote: »
    I figure that the semesters will tie in closely with the current implemented time mechanics for seasons. Perhaps a season is a semester? This would make sense since the quickness of time is directly correlated to the length of a season. Overall, I'd think that if they were to add in a University expansion, they would have thought about this when determining the length of time for seasons.

Not everyone has seasons though. But yes, maybe we'll be allowed to set the semester length ourselves like we could in sims 3. It still leaves the question about whether it'll be a specific number of semesters or points, like sims 3
  • Options
    CorkysPetalsCorkysPetals Posts: 1,400 Member
    If the university was a lot set up in a new neighborhood, you could either live in the campus dorm in Matriculation Meadow or live in Oasis Springs and visit the university lot. I suppose it could be like the careers. Maybe disappear on the sidewalk for lectures, work from home or go to some hidden lot for active labs.
  • Options
    VanPelt81VanPelt81 Posts: 2,990 Member
    I wonder if it will have the customize length aspect like how seasons can have the length customized.
  • Options
    PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    Maybe like the seasons do? 7/14/21 days or some variation of that.
  • Options
    AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    I think as @Movotti said it might work like the GTW job lots.
    Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
  • Options

Ah, I would really dislike a fake world for the college world. But that would make sense for this game I guess, since other Sims would come into a college world and that would be weird to see them in the college town. Not so many ever come into the fake (hidden) worlds.
  • Options
    MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member

Ah, I would really dislike a fake world for the college world. But that would make sense for this game I guess, since other Sims would come into a college world and that would be weird to see them in the college town. Not so many ever come into the fake (hidden) worlds.

It could be like GTW, as in you don't have to follow your sim to class, and still have a world you can visit. It doesn't have to be a hidden world.

What I was suggesting was that it be a wold you can live in, but not be forced to live in to attend uni.
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • Options
    hannashavenhannashaven Posts: 81 Member
    I think it would be nice if they had a similar selection panel to seasons. You could select your semester length and decide on breaks and whatnot. It would be nice if it came with a new neighborhood that's considered campus, but you're not forced to live there. So if you want to move your sims into a dorm or apartment on campus, you can, but you could also have a sim commute.
    Twitch: casuallywillow