Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is the game too soft for you?

Comments

• Options
    FKM100FKM100 Posts: 886 Member
    No, absolutely not.
    My vote is a "no", but with some reservations. I don't want to see more death and destruction in the game. I am actually quite protective of my sims. But I do wish the game did not have to be so prissy and PC and that there was more scope to create really weird and/or evil characters. Basically, all the "bad" traits are very wishy washy.
  • Options
    CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    edited August 2018
    YES!
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »

I agree. A game that plays too safe, and in itself, is too easy, is just boring. It is against the nature of this series to be upbeat, sunshine, and rainbows. For instance, I still cannot believe it's 4 years after release and we still don't even have criminals in a Sims game.

Yes. TS4 is straying so far from the spirit of the earlier games. I'm not sure how the series became so...sanitized.
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    I think psychologically they’ve got the ‘safe space’ theory all wrong. Having danger and mischief and evilness and bad luck in a game can actually contribute to the safe place feeling of a player irl because it’s playing around with something that is not real. It’s a way to in fact canalize and cope with bad things, without it actually affecting our lives. Like, I remember when 9/11 happened, for quite some time people didn’t want to watch disaster movies, because it had come too close, become too real. Misery and catastrophe in a game (or a book or a movie) emphasise the safe space feeling in reality and that can be very comforting. And safe.

Very true.

I speak for myself when I say, I've always played games with all kinds of hardship. The satisfaction was in helping the Sims to weather and to eventually overcome.

There used to be things to work toward besides the next paycheck, so to speak. That element of play is gone. There are very few unexpected events that cause the player to adjust, rethink, and prevail.

Take earthquakes, for example. I moved one of my main Sims into the Zenview apartment with the earthquake trait. If I didn't happen to see the screen shake (it doesn't seem to do that anymore), I wouldn't even know that there'd been an earthquake. The only clue is a moodlet. That's it.

Two seconds later, she's happy again because, well, I like pretty rooms. The moodlet from the earthquake gets totally buried by the happy moodlets from a well decorated apartment, a satisfying shower, and a yummy breakfast.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • Options
    LemLem Posts: 33 Member
    YES!
    I'd like to see more 'life' things added, but perhaps make these things toggleable for younger players / players that don't want this in their game.
  • Options
    ManakoHimeManakoHime Posts: 285 Member
    edited August 2018
    YES!
    I could write a whole list on how much I hate the softness of this game but the big main points for me are:
    1) They got rid of the burglar because people got scared of the music that was played and people would panic. Like really? THAT was their reason for getting rid of the burglar? :|
    2) No dog houses because 'it's cruel'. Really?
    3) A sim will always accept a marriage proposal it seems. I have YET to see a sim just say no for once. There just seems to be no consequences in the game with things like that.
    4) It is too easy to keep sims happy. I miss the challenge that TS2 and TS3 gave me.
    There are many more but I won't go on. The people who made this game soft, I really hate you sometimes and to the lovely modders out there, I love you because you wonderful guys and girls make the game so much better! Now if only EA/Maxis could do the same instead of these silly twitch videos.

In case people can't tell I am in a really bad mood today so I am sorry if anyone gets offended.
  • Options
    sikasika18sikasika18 Posts: 343 Member
    ManakoHime wrote: »
    I could write a whole list on how much I hate the softness of this game but the big main points for me are:
    1) They got rid of the burglar because people got scared of the music that was played and people would panic. Like really? THAT was their reason for getting rid of the burglar? :|
    2) No dog houses because 'it's cruel'. Really?
    3) A sim will always accept a marriage proposal it seems. I have YET to see a sim just say no for once. There just seems to be no consequences in the game with things like that.
    4) It is too easy to keep sims happy. I miss the challenge that TS2 and TS3 gave me.
    There are many more but I won't go on. The people who made this game soft, I really hate you sometimes and to the lovely modders out there, I love you because you wonderful guys and girls make the game so much better! Now if only EA/Maxis could do the same instead of these silly twitch videos.

In case people can't tell I am in a really bad mood today so I am sorry if anyone gets offended.

I understand you and feel the same about the game. Nobody should be offended by an opinion, that is just so ridiculous imo and don't forget that we have the right to share our concerns and critiques on the game so never shut up, okay? We got toddlers because we said it loud and clear that we won't shut up until we get them and it paid off :)
  • Options
    worldofdrakanworldofdrakan Posts: 329 Member
    edited August 2018
    I'm not sure yet.
    I'm kind of in between on this. For the most part, I think the game is fine the way it is in this regard, but on the other hand, there are definitely some things that could be improved on. Want to know why I so greatly disliked the decision to remove the ignore button from chance cards? Well, sure, it does have to do in part with the fact that I'm just not a risk-taking kind of person and would really prefer to just skip them like we could in TS2, but it also has to do with the fact that they're just plain BORING.

And they aren't just boring, they're REPETITIVE. A large part of why I'd like to be able to skip them like we used to is because they bore me and I would rather not bother with them. But no, we're forced to make a choice or else this boring, bothersome little game interruption will NOT go away. You're stuck on the screen until you make a choice. In TS2, even though we had the option to ignore them, there was still a good bit of incentive to take a chance. If you picked the right choice, you could win BIG. However, conversely, you could also LOSE big if you picked the wrong choice.

I'd love to have all that back. The ignore button, getting an instant promotion, simoleon bonus, or even skill point if you chose correctly, a demotion, simoleon deduction, or even getting FIRED if you chose incorrectly. Honestly, though, saying that there was a set "right" or "wrong" choice isn't really accurate. There was a sense of randomness to the chance cards, which means that whatever option you chose, they both had a chance for a good OR bad outcome, which made taking a chance all the more risky.

And heck, we could use more chance cards in general. There have seriously been times in which my Sim has gotten the exact same chance card three days in a row. Just... Better, more interesting chance cards, please!
    Post edited by worldofdrakan on
  • Options
    SillyCharlieSillyCharlie Posts: 37 Member
    I'm not sure yet.
    I am kinda divided. There are darker things that I would want in the Sims like child death, miscarriage, maybe some form of mental illness, etc. Obviously I don't enjoy that stuff irl, it would just make the game more interesting and realistic.

However, I understand why those things will probably never be implemented, especially since people are really sensitive nowadays so I am not getting my hopes up.
  • Options
    I'm not sure yet.
    > @GalacticGal said:
    > Erpe wrote: »
    >
    > JoAnne65 wrote: »
    >
    > I think psychologically they’ve got the ‘safe space’ theory all wrong. Having danger and mischief and evilness and bad luck in a game can actually contribute to the safe place feeling of a player irl because it’s playing around with something that is not real. It’s a way to in fact canalize and cope with bad things, without it actually affecting our lives. Like, I remember when 9/11 happened, for quite some time people didn’t want to watch disaster movies, because it had come too close, become too real. Misery and catastrophe in a game (or a book or a movie) emphasise the safe space feeling in reality and that can be very comforting. And safe.
    >
    >
    >
    > To me it feels more like EA is 50 to 70 behind us here in Europe and still think that girls and women are some weaklings who need to be protected from real life and the bad things in the real world. So because EA now thinks that Sims games mainly are dollhouse games for girls who need such protection the game has become much easier and happy and almost all bad things have been removed from the game. But we already know that EA never would do something similar in a game for boys where both movies and games from the US can be even more violent than we usually like in Europe.
    >
    > In our schools we now treat girls and boys as equals and we don’t protect girls and women like we did 70 years ago. We have also already accepted that girls now play football(soccer) and even participate in boxing tournaments. So to me it is really strange that EA still wants to protect girls from all evil and thinks that girls only need an unrealistic dollhouse game because they are so weak that they can’t manage the same challenges as boys can. I couldn’t disagree more with EA about this. But then I just don’t know if the US really is that far behind us when it comes to treating girls as just as mature as boys? It seems very strange IMO.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > EA has no clue how strong a woman can be.

Wait, how does gender mean anything here? Very confused lol.
  • Options
    ShinzenShinzen Posts: 250 Member
    No, absolutely not.
    @ManakoHime - Actually, I just wanted to point out that they didn't get rid of the burglar because people were scared of it. The EA staff clarified that they just didn't want the burglar to come back just because they didn't want to add him back, not because people were scared.
    200px-MW-misc-House_Telvanni.png
  • Options
    I'm not sure yet.
    @Erpe I am like 89% sure they are "shielding girls" because they know if they had something considered "controversial" people will lose their crap over it. Its called being smart.
  • Options
    IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited August 2018
    YES!
    Shinzen wrote: »
    @ManakoHime - Actually, I just wanted to point out that they didn't get rid of the burglar because people were scared of it. The EA staff clarified that they just didn't want the burglar to come back just because they didn't want to add him back, not because people were scared.

They never said they didn't want to add him back. Please don't misquote. That's how false rumors start. But you are correct that it wasn't because of scaring anyone. They just haven't found the right time/pack for adding him, yet.
  • Options
    ShinzenShinzen Posts: 250 Member
    edited August 2018
    No, absolutely not.
    IceyJ wrote: »
    Shinzen wrote: »

They never said they didn't want to add him back. Please don't misquote. That's how false rumors start. But you are correct that it wasn't because of scaring anyone. They just haven't found the right time/pack for adding him, yet.

My apologies, my wording was off. I should have clarified that they didn't want the burglar to come back in the base game.

I never meant to say they never wanted to add him back, but clearly what I said was correct with the way I meant it - about them not wanting to add him back in the base game - because he's not there. Clearly it was a decision they made internally when creating TS4 and I just don't like seeing people like "boohoo people are snowflakes and softies in 2018 that they couldn't handle a burglar!"

What the person said in of itself is the largest false rumor about the burglar and I can't believe it's still going around.
    200px-MW-misc-House_Telvanni.png
  • Options
    MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    YES!
    Burglars, firemen, newspapers, and cops to bring home wayward teens.

All things that added to the entertainment value of the game.

AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • Options
    AnthonydyerAnthonydyer Posts: 1,197 Member
    edited August 2018
    I'm not sure yet.
    FKM100 wrote: »
    My vote is a "no", but with some reservations. I don't want to see more death and destruction in the game. I am actually quite protective of my sims. But I do wish the game did not have to be so prissy and PC and that there was more scope to create really weird and/or evil characters. Basically, all the "bad" traits are very wishy washy.

@FKM100 Agreed. I think the game could use a little lighthearted evil content that may create a little chaos, but we can laugh at. Kind of like a burglar: It creates mayhem, but it can be laughed at. How about Mrs Crumplebottom? That was hilarious!
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,449 Member
    YES!
    The problem in Sims 4 has nothing to do with deviance. It's about incomplete basics.

● Sims don't experience fear. I just can't stress enough how much of an obvious gap this is. Fear is something most humans learn at a very young age, it's completely natural and exists throughout our entire lives. Why was this exluded to begin with? We are much too long overdue for the return of this emotion. Sims can't be afraid of anything, they only get "tense", and if that's not playing it overly safe, I don't know what is.

● The default emotion is "happy", not fine. Sims begin the game in a winning state, which takes away the whole challenge of getting them to a level of happiness, which actually negates the entire underlying basic premise of the Sims franchise. What is the point of a Sims game if not to throw obstacles into the Sims' lives while the players do what they can to keep their Sims content? Wasn't this the real reason the first Sims game was ever created, to explore failure states and risk the challenges of an actual life simulation? What happened to this? When did the series turn into a trendy, Utopian, self-concious, Safe Space that betrayed its own creator? It's lost its way. :(

● Sims don't remember or react to what's around them. I actually have tried picking fights with some of my Sims and they just won't remember it. I tried to make enemies between a pair of good and evil sisters and I had them insult and provoke each other, but the second I stopped spamming negative social actions between them, they were hugging and sitting together and chatting and building their relationship on their own. I actually had another Sim pick a fight with a stranger until they brawled and then they actually smiled and waved goodbye. No one stormed off with negative thoughts, no resentment, no enemies made, no bad mood. It just doesn't make any sense. They can't do each other wrong and it makes gameplay extremely frustrating.

This is just a few of the core things that really bother me about the game. It has nothing to do with "blood and violence", or death, or torment. These are basic simulations of life that were never there to begin with, and because of their absence, the game will never feel complete.
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    YES!
    LiELF wrote: »
    The problem in Sims 4 has nothing to do with deviance. It's about incomplete basics.

● Sims don't experience fear. I just can't stress enough how much of an obvious gap this is. Fear is something most humans learn at a very young age, it's completely natural and exists throughout our entire lives. Why was this exluded to begin with? We are much too long overdue for the return of this emotion. Sims can't be afraid of anything, they only get "tense", and if that's not playing it overly safe, I don't know what is.

● The default emotion is "happy", not fine. Sims begin the game in a winning state, which takes away the whole challenge of getting them to a level of happiness, which actually negates the entire underlying basic premise of the Sims franchise. What is the point of a Sims game if not to throw obstacles into the Sims' lives while the players do what they can to keep their Sims content? Wasn't this the real reason the first Sims game was ever created, to explore failure states and risk the challenges of an actual life simulation? What happened to this? When did the series turn into a trendy, Utopian, self-concious, Safe Space that betrayed its own creator? It's lost its way. :(

● Sims don't remember or react to what's around them. I actually have tried picking fights with some of my Sims and they just won't remember it. I tried to make enemies between a pair of good and evil sisters and I had them insult and provoke each other, but the second I stopped spamming negative social actions between them, they were hugging and sitting together and chatting and building their relationship on their own. I actually had another Sim pick a fight with a stranger until they brawled and then they actually smiled and waved goodbye. No one stormed off with negative thoughts, no resentment, no enemies made, no bad mood. It just doesn't make any sense. They can't do each other wrong and it makes gameplay extremely frustrating.

This is just a few of the core things that really bother me about the game. It has nothing to do with "blood and violence", or death, or torment. These are basic simulations of life that were never there to begin with, and because of their absence, the game will never feel complete.

If this post could be pinned to every single “what’s wrong with the sims 4” type threads it would save so much hassle! Perfect post.
  • Options
    YES!

Beautifully said. I hope that the Gurus are reading this. Because the whole thing was excellent and the first two sentences tied up the issue into a neat little bow.

I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • Options
    Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    YES!
    It's really time to provide a change on personalities, behaviour, memory of our sims now. They still have 3 years to change this, but I don't want to wait until the end of TS4 for seeing a change.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Options
    Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    YES!

That's exactly what I desperately try to say everytime.I really really hope they'll see this, cause that's what we need in TS4.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Options
    haleybob729haleybob729 Posts: 9 New Member
    No, absolutely not.
    I absolutely LOVE The Sims 4! Sure, it has some flaws, there are way too many stuff packs :D and it sure needs more features, but honestly, it is one of my FAVORITE things to do on a rainy or a slow day! There are SO many options, and it's almost impossible to get bored! Ever since I started playing TS3 back in 2014, it has been absolutely IMPOSSIBLE to play a Sims game without playing for hours at a time! In short, I just love TS4 and with all of the ways that Sims can die (and woohoo lol), it definiteley isn't a "soft" game.
  • Options
    invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    No, absolutely not.

(snipped for brevity)

I totally agree that we need a 'fear' emotion, because there *are* things that frighten Sims in the game, and the 'tense' or 'sad' moods just don't make sense. Toddlers do get scared, and they should experience 'fear', not 'sad' from nightmares, ghosts and thunderstorms. Kids should be scared by the monster under the bed, not 'sad'. I don't see this as playing it 'safe', since the scary things exist, it's just something the developpers haven't done. It needs a fair amount of coding - it would require an overhaul of moodlets, object interactions and animations. Sims with certain traits would be affected differently.

I also agree that negative moodlets are too often overwhelmed by positive moodlets. I don't think this is an intentional effort to soften the game, but rather poor tuning. They do a bang-up job with teen moods because those are a +50. Nice furniture and fresh veggies aren't going to appease a teen who is going through an 'angry' or 'sad' phase. They have to work through the mood by talking to a parent, writing in their journal or going for a run. (Or not - it's fun to watch them stomp around :smile: )
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • Options
    FKM100FKM100 Posts: 886 Member
    No, absolutely not.

@FKM100 Agreed. I think the game could use a little lighthearted evil content that may create a little chaos, but we can laugh at. Kind of like a burglar: It creates mayhem, but it can be laughed at. How about Mrs Crumplebottom? That was hilarious!

Mrs Crumplebottom is a perfect example of the type of thing I miss. I actually recreated her in my game, and the game objected to her name! The same happened with the Hick family :/

• Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    YES!

Mrs Crumplebottom is a perfect example of the type of thing I miss. I actually recreated her in my game, and the game objected to her name! The same happened with the Hick family :/
    That symbolizes everything this topic is about.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,233 Member
    edited August 2018
  • Options
    YES!
    JoAnne65 wrote: »

That symbolizes everything this topic is about.

Yep.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg