Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is the game too soft for you?

FurSimsOfficialFurSimsOfficial Posts: 2,362 Member
edited July 2018 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
I would like to open this subject and see different opinions on this matter.
I do think the game is too soft and I know they didnt go with T rating (even though in the past it wasnt either, but way more cruel and real.. they probably got complaints :p), because they want to attract a wider audience and get more caching out of it, but some things break a game and are worth more in other ways.

Simmers play pretty cruel by killing or burning the neighbourhood down in their basement and these scenario's were mentioned a few times in live plays of devs, so its not something they totally ignore or abandon from existence. I think certain things should not be taken out for the sake of 'its too sad or too realistic.' I remember simguru (what his name again?) talking about how weather disasters would never make it, cause it is too real for some simmers and they have experienced it in real life. Yes ofcourse, but people also experience break-ups, death of their loved ones and these things still make it in the game. Its still a simulation of a sort of life with creatures doing things we do daily, so i feel the line has been drawn wrong this time. I remember the ton of complaints in the beginning as well where the game was too soft, dull and boring.
When they said that pets couldnt die, i was like.. are you kidding me? That looks more like ignoring the cycle of life and acting like sims live in a flowerly peaceful heaven. No they dont.. they experience many things and even emotions that are sad and heartbreaking sometimes, but i like that and for most of it, we can still ignore it and play however we want. We can even bring sims back to life with old files/not saving or reset a sim that is about to die, so its not like the game does something we cant take back. And as long as sims die from other reasons than their age (which is also pretty sad), I dont think the devs should have kept pets in the safe zone. So a sim can die, but a pet cant? ok..

[In addition] Can children die? I guess so right. Babies can't i guess, cause they seem to be taken away. I mean, if you dont feed them, that happens. Its not like you dont know that. Its sad in all ways, but dividing who can and who cant die, just seems very strange to me meanwhile giving people freedom to create evil sims that kill off innocent sims for fun. It starts to not make much sense to cut out things that are happening by natural law, but laugh about the cruel things simmers so. Its fine for me how they play, but if you ask me.. then just bring back a bit realism into this game that is just the way life goes and adds some (eventually) nice stories into our gameplay.

Not everyone might agree, thats fine, share your thoughts, but let's keep it nice, share your experience/opinion and why you feel the way you do :)
Post edited by FurSimsOfficial on

Is the game too soft for you? 303 votes

YES!
66%
auroraael14CK213nickibitswardcatmom1987GoldmoldaricmnfrshSyl0271ErpeGalacticGalJaseLaBlue0314SamadamsPlayeralexspoom13IceyJJessa_DakkarAlexaiTWSimGamer82Colorist40ElyssandarielPlayerSinger2010 201 votes
No, absolutely not.
23%
Kita5399Icewolfalan650111Cabelle1863BlkBarbiegalTheLibrarySimSimsILikeSimsFKM100Writin_RegLavasm77Bloosmookerryemmiebethinvisiblgirlsimgirl1010friendlysimmersliliaethSjofnBariSaxyVuloriLizzychicago 71 votes
I'm not sure yet.
10%
Tellie86SimburianMagdaleenacchant86capricce2JennyggBriel24AnthonydyerElenPinkSonata13SingerCAITLINX354K4siesDoloresGreyLatinaBunnyworldofdrakanharun789Destin2016strf85abelhinha35BabySquare 31 votes

Comments

• tmcevoy1121tmcevoy1121 Posts: 304 Member
    I'm not sure yet.
    It may be for me but then again I am used to playing MMO (SWTOR, SWG ) so I only have those experiences to judge the game by. For me it can become quite boring but that might be due to the fact I only have NPC to play with and not real people. I understand this was not made that way but for me that is why I find it soft and boring at times.
    A girl should be two things: classy and fabulous. A girl should also always be a lady even when arguing
  • Evie0602Evie0602 Posts: 634 Member
    No, absolutely not.
    No, I think it's perfect the way it is. I don't like anything bad happening to my sims.
  • hunniboo1hunniboo1 Posts: 1,510 Member
    I'm kind of in between because I know there are a lot of children that do play this game, but I do feel like there are some things that people want taken out that is ridiculous.

For example, someone made a post that the brawl day holiday had a husband and wife fighting which they took as a play on domestic violence.

Then there was a topic about the insane trait being "disrespectful" towards individuals with mental illnesses.

I'm not trying to call anyone out just those were the first threads to come to mind.

So yes I do feel like sometimes people wants EA to "shield" certain aspects of the game when that is just not possible. People still have to remember it is just a game they are not putting certain aspects to offend anyone. They give the disclaimer that this game has mature content and violence as well so it is completely at the buyers discretion if they make the decision to purchase it for themselves or their children. :*
    2llotup.jpg
    The Best of Hunni's Builds
    Feel free to follow my builds!!!!!!:)
  • pointefulpointeful Posts: 36 Member
    No, absolutely not.
    Personally, I'm a softie in real life. >w< I love making real life people happy whenever I can. I use the game to get away from sad and upsetting things and thus create sims that I love and do my best to make them as happy and healthy as possible! I wouldn't be opposed to more serious things being added into the game, obviously, because I can always just ignore them and keep playing the way I do! But I don't have any major qualms with the way the game is now.

I do think it's a little silly that pets can't die though! I didn't know that! (Look how behind I am. >w<) The natural disaster thing makes more sense to me, seeing as those things can be especially traumatic for people who lose their homes and family members. Natural disasters can be considered tragedies and while they're realistic, that makes more sense to me that the Sim Gurus want to avoid triggering upset responses than a pet dying does. Pets dying can be sad as well but all of my friends who have grown up with loads of pets have told me how good it was for them as kids to learn about death through their pets! It's sad but it's a part of life and, like you said, if sims can die then surely it's not too far fetched (ahahaha no pun intended) to have pets die as well! Unpopular opinion but, if anything, I'd be more upset about my sim dying!

Also, somewhat on the topic, while I wouldn't really utilize any tragic or more upsetting features if they were to be added, I think it'd be very very cool to add more realistic things like prosthetics or blindness or deafness! That's not tragic so much as it is real and I think that would be super cool to have in the game to have more diverse sims who aren't all able bodied! I'm totally down for that kind of stuff!
  • Kniga_SitaraKniga_Sitara Posts: 414 Member
    YES!
    Yes, game is so simply and stupid... I like graphic, but I dislike that here is not challenge... I dont need bad things, but some challenge, some heavy yes...

I think that game is ideal for today teens. Some simply life without challenge. Ideal for Generation Snowflake....
  • citysimmercitysimmer Posts: 5,950 Member
    No, absolutely not.
    No. But sometimes I feel like it's too hard to die. (that sounds terrible without context)
    Proud black simmer 🖤
    MfVGMbL.jpg

On a side note, because there are some that get offended easily maybe there should be more gameplay settings for individuals to toggle certain things on and off that they want taken out of game. This is so it is not punishing everyone who does not have a problem with certain aspects.
    2llotup.jpg
    citysimmer wrote: »
    No. But sometimes I feel like it's too hard to die. (that sounds terrible without context)

Nope you are right it is too hard. It takes two times to do something before a sim dies. Two times to get electrocuted. Two times to eat the bad pufferfish and so on. I remember biting my nails on previous sims because I did not know if my sim was gone die fixing the radio.
    2llotup.jpg
  • catitude5catitude5 Posts: 2,537 Member
    YES!
    It's way too childish. They say children play this, but I've never seen any here. So if they do, there aren't many.
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,528 Member
    YES!
    I don't want an over-the-top game, but I also don't want one that is so easy and non-consequential that it's boring.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • MarjiaMarjia Posts: 363 Member
    YES!
    I wish the cowplant would eat the nosy old neighbor lady who keeps knocking on my door. I set it right next to the sidewalk but no luck. LOL
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,543 Member
    YES!
    Yes, which is why I voted for the Dangerous Stuff pack when we had the option, but alas we ended up with... Laundry. How Laundry does rock my game lol.
  • Bluebeard45Bluebeard45 Posts: 3,889 Member
    I consider it relaxing. After a hour of say Far Cry 5 I really enjoy the Sims.
  • NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    No, absolutely not.
    Absolutely no. This game is aimed at various age groups including children and some of you seem to forget that. There are plenty of other games out there for those who get a kick out of death, disease, sex and gore.

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

• OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    No, absolutely not.
    No. The series has always been a cartoonish frolic. Even in The Sims, where just about everything was lethal and death lurked around every corner and beneath every sofa, there was a cheery overtone to it all. Pets or children being "taken away" instead of being shown dying is inconsequential. The impact on game play is exactly the same -- said character is removed from the game.

I can enjoy a game like VtMB. It's a flawed gem -- a brilliant title that is well-served by its dark and gritty narrative. I can also enjoy a game like The Sims 4 -- another brilliant title that is well-served by its cartoonish and glossed-over narrative. I do not play the former for the same reason(s) I play the latter, and do not seek each in the other.
  • Olivesplum06Olivesplum06 Posts: 1,076 Member
    I’m conflicted. While I like the look of the sims, sometimes it can look too “kidish” or cartoony for my taste. Gameplay, back-stories and adult situations are a bit soft, as well. One thing I loved about TS2 is some of the back stories for premades were DARK. Also, dying was a lot more morbid. I do miss that, but I can see why they would change that, as they want to appeal to a wider audience. It can also be nice to play something that is more happy, not as negative and sad as real life. But the dark stuff makes it more realistic.

Like I said, I’m conflicted haha.
  • drakharisdrakharis Posts: 1,478 Member
    edited July 2018
    YES!
    I apologize if I offend anybody with what I am going to say. Keep in mind just because I would love to see things in gameplay does NOT mean I am for it in real life in fact quite the opposite for the darker, meaner evil, and depressing things.

I like doing mean and cruel things to sims. I would love seeing a limited edition with a higher rating. *looks around* Not for more intense um flirty actions but for more serious things like one-sided love, sociopathic stalkers, more truly evil and mean things that don't make me think dude you need to go to anger management, suicide, obsessions, etc for a darker tone that might push the teen rating if not cross the line to a more mature content.

As much as I don't like the idea of kids dying in real life I am all for it in gameplay. Having miscarriages and stillbirths. Allow for difficult pregnancies. Allow for sims to die in childbirth and SIDS - Sudden Infant Death Syndrome. I think SIDS should be the only way a baby can die. I would like to see in the game again those kinds of things might need a higher rating because of the seriousness of it and we get all teary-eyed when our sims die but I would welcome it and mourn the loss of others sims with them just the same.

Have serious terminal illness like cancer that that can affect toddlers and up. Allow evil children to bully and abuse others.

Allow kids to have mild romantic interactions only with other kids. Like give flowers, promise ring, pretend marriage, play house with each other, kiss on the cheek, etc.

I would love to see more friendly interactions like a blood oath. I remember as a kid 🐸🐸🐸🐸 my finger and a few of my friends (who I am still very good friends with) 🐸🐸🐸🐸 their fingers and becoming blood brothers/sisters. Pinky swear would be another fun interaction with kids too, Innocent sleepovers would be a fun interaction for kids until Max Villareal shows up and strangles Lucas Munch because he was bored and somebody forgot to invite him. Max seems like the kind who would throw a golden apple with to the fairest on it and sit back and watch the sparks fly.

Vengeance, revenge and retribution interactions. Vengeance is you bullied my friend and they committed suicide now I am going to destroy you without killing you. Revenge is when your sister pulls a prank with switching your shampoo for temporary red hair dye and you slash up all her clothes as payback. Retribution is an eye for an eye mentality just to clarify.

Abuse and torture of sims. Again this might push the teen rating if not across the line to a mature rating because of the level of violence.

I would like to see more interactions for good and the ability for evil to corrupt others while good should have the ability to bring redemption and salvation to mean and evil sims. there should be aspirations just for good sims.
    Post edited by drakharis on
    Playtesting - not just tabletop games and card games any more. Really that should have been playtested in Beta and not [img]just with accounting and marketing but actual players. https://i.imgur.com/t48COW6.jpg[/img]
  • Destin2016Destin2016 Posts: 568 Member
    edited July 2018
    I'm not sure yet.
    I’m kinda in between. I certainly don’t want anything awful happening to my sims, but I do feel like the game is too “happy” or “cheery”. It needs honest emotions to have to deal with. If a sim had a bad day at work or school, they should have to work through it, not by cheered up by a nicely decorated home! That just gets on my nerves!

Edited for typo
    You like me because I'm a scoundrel. There aren't enough scoundrels in your life.
  • RedDestiny92RedDestiny92 Posts: 7,847 Member
    No, absolutely not.
    It fits the series granted when some got less offended there were some things that I guess wouldn't make it into this one, like the real make out from sims 2 on the couch and bed which really fit the rating of the time but now too many flip. It was ts3 we had shower woohoo too wasn't it? That might not come back either, those aside the sims has never been worthy of a higher rating so it's always been light enough for more than one age group interested in this type of game. Then you know even if we could more toggles for other situations some would have a fit over that for even existing, when they don't have to use those features. Guess I'm just used to it.
    Reddestiny921 on the gallery...still not sure if I capitalized the second d..lol
    All the sims err'day
    PmyCqgA.png
  • kittymeowkittymeow Posts: 7,338 Member
    No, absolutely not.
    I hate it when bad stuff happens to my sims, I think there is enough horror in the real world for me not to want it in my game, the game is my escape from reality.
  • alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,404 Member
    YES!
    I'm not at all interested in any cruel actions, BUT for my taste the game is way too prudish.
  • Huiiie_07Huiiie_07 Posts: 1,200 Member
    edited July 2018
    YES!
    Definitely. Many posts here say that some themes are too much for children who might play this game, but this doesn't have to be true. When I first started playing, I was 10 years old at that time and I still got into the game, I would put cheap fireplaces into the homes so they catch on fire. I thought it's hilarious lol. My friends at the same age who played the game did the same. I'm pretty sure children are capable of seeing the difference between real life and a game.

However, as I said, the game, especially TS4 doesn't have the "looks" for cruel things in it, if you see pictures of the game, you wouldn't get the same vibes from it like, for example, gta. I can still imagine the following features in Ts4, nonetheless:

-burglars (can be prevented with a burglar alarm or lot traits)
    -natural disasters (with a toggle option)
    -children dying of neglect by hunger as an example (can be prevented by simply taking care of the children)

These are all things that are definitely not disturbing for a younger audience. Also, these would all be features that are avoidable by the player if they choose to. I don't get why people are so sensitive and easily offended nowadays. I remember a few years ago, you could do or say anything that went through your head without people throwing tantrums because of it.

In my opinion, features like the above would be great for storytelling players. A story without drama would be boring.
    Origin ID: Huiiie_07

I like to build stuff
  • AineAine Posts: 3,043 Member
    YES!
    I want a challenge, to have to work for my sims to be happy and healthy, it's too easy and gets boring when there's no danger at all. I would love more random danger but that you can counter in different ways.
    Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
  • LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    edited July 2018
    YES!
    I wished that things would go back (interactions) to Sims 2 and 3. Those games would keep me on my toes, now I just find myself getting bored way too easily. The other night I took my sim on a Jungle Adventure, and OMG, I was about brain dead when I sent my sim home. I ended up deleting that game file, and going back to updating my other game save for the new packs that I have added.
  • MVWdeZTMVWdeZT Posts: 3,267 Member
    No, absolutely not.
    Actually pets can die of old age, just not of anything else. They're taken away if you don't feed them. Also, it seems to me that they are making the game more dangerous -- yes, we got Laundry Stuff instead of Dangerous Stuff, but the chances that one of your Sims will set the dryer on fire are pretty good. Sims can also freeze to death now (much more easily than in TS3) and die of heat stroke.

I'm playing an ISBI challenge, though, so my Sims live dangerously enough as it is. I'd like to see meteor strikes come back, but that's about it.