Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Too many thunderstorms!

I am currently playing with 28 day seasons and the first three weeks of summer have been 18 days of thunderstorms. The charm of them has really been lost at this point and it's just downright annoying already.

Maybe this is just a very rainy summer, but if this continues through to next summers then some coding somewhere is going to need a tweak!

Has anyone else experienced very rainy, stormy summers? Even on shorter season lengths I have experienced a high level of thunderstorms in the summer. I thought switching to 28 days would give some much needed breaks in between storms but so far, NOPE!
Gallery ID: ChaosKitten666
I hope my Sims and lots aren't too terrible!

Comments

• Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited July 2018
    Weather depends on which world you’re in.

From my experience, Brindleton Bay gets WAY more thunderstorms than any other world so far and Willow Creek gets the most blizzards.
  • Options
    SimChessackSimChessack Posts: 182 Member
    I am not in-game right now but I thought there was an option to turn off the T-storms on the main menu?
  • Options
    TrashmagicTrashmagic Posts: 977 Member
    Are you playing in Brindleton Bay by any chance? Like Chazzy said Brindleton Bay gets a lot of thunderstorms and rain. I love the rainy days but I too wish they were toned down a bit. Brindleton Bay is also my favorite world so I don't want to move my Sims either.
  • Options
    Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    edited July 2018
    I am not in-game right now but I thought there was an option to turn off the T-storms on the main menu?

There is, you can turn off both t-storms & blizzards, you can also turn off rain and snow altogether if you want.
  • Options
    Bluebeard45Bluebeard45 Posts: 3,889 Member
    Yes it's hot. But no snow and thunderstorms are very rare. So try Oasis Springs.
  • Options
    GoldenBuffyGoldenBuffy Posts: 4,025 Member
    Right now I'm playing a new couple in San Myshuno, first day was the last day of Spring, and now it's the first day of Summer, and both days have been rain. I'm having flashbacks to my Sims 2 and Sims 3 Spring/Summer times. lol Seems that my games all love rain.
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• Options
    BrokenChaos69BrokenChaos69 Posts: 928 Member
    I totally forgot to say it is in Brindleton Bay. It really needs to be toned down.

We shouldn't have to turn off weather, it just needs to be better balanced.
    Gallery ID: ChaosKitten666
    I hope my Sims and lots aren't too terrible!
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited July 2018
    I totally forgot to say it is in Brindleton Bay. It really needs to be toned down.

We shouldn't have to turn off weather, it just needs to be better balanced.

That's New England (BB) and I live in New England - in Maine's Lakes Region - and that's the way it is most years lately especially. Like we have had some rain and cloudiness everyday since Friday with more coming. When it is not raining it is very humid and hot right now, but no sun. The actual temp is on 76-80 but with 70 percent humidity it feel like the 90's. Stay in - keep the AC on - the air is tough to breath. Nights cool right off but we still have lots of humidity.

Last week we had two nice days - it was sunny, in the low 70's with low humidity - just perfect - but unfortunately they are few and far between for the last 3-4 years here..

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    Laura_JonesLaura_Jones Posts: 485 Member
    It would be nice if the weather varied throughout the day like real life. T storms don't last ALL DAY in the midwest during summer, they come and go quickly. I don't see why the forecast needs to be so limited, except for on days with "mysterious weather".
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    It would be nice if the weather varied throughout the day like real life. T storms don't last ALL DAY in the midwest during summer, they come and go quickly. I don't see why the forecast needs to be so limited, except for on days with "mysterious weather".

Never move to Maine then - you won't like it. Nothing comes and goes in a day here.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    Laura_JonesLaura_Jones Posts: 485 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »

Never move to Maine then - you won't like it. Nothing comes and goes in a day here.

I'm originally from the PNW and the weather isn't extreme, but it does stick around for weeks or months. Generally though, lightning doesn't keep going and going for a whole day anywhere, to my knowledge. There might be thunder of course, and a storm could last a day or two, but I don't think that lightning should be a danger the whole day in a game like this.
  • Options
    keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    I guess because I play a 7 day season, my weather has been pretty balanced. I also have only been in willow creek so far.
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,449 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »

I don't know about Maine, but I live in another part of New England and the weather is completely unpredictable. Just yesterday we had hot and muggy sunshine, then the clouds rolled in and five minutes later there was a two minute rainfall. Then it cleared up, hot and sunny for a few hours, then a sudden light sun shower that cleared in a few minutes and went back to hot and horribly muggy sunshine.

I sometimes bring umbrellas to work on sunny days and it makes me look eccentric until we get the flash thunderstorm, lol.
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,233 Member
    edited July 2018
    Summer of 4 weeks in my world ...
    Granite Falls

0kqsncnvv10b.jpeg

Magnolia Promenade

fftkvmq93ypi.jpg

Windenburg

zcsf3ejcn9br.jpg

Forgotten Hollow

vs9k8e0zycgs.jpg

Only Willow Creek, Oasis Springs and San Myshuno often get sunny days.

• Options
    JaseJase Posts: 2,147 Member
    I've noticed that my game also seems to have more thunderstorms than sunny weather. But I play on the default weather settings, I might extend the seasons and see if I get more sunny days.
  • Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,233 Member
    edited August 2018
  • Options
    NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    If you need a break from thunderstorms then simply disable them. It is a very easy thing to do. Also, try experimenting with the season intervals as it might impact the frequency.

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

• Options
    SimChessackSimChessack Posts: 182 Member
    I think in general the weather is too repetitive. In a given week, I will often have thunderstorms for the entire week, or heat wave the entire week, etc.

Now, I know, in real life, that you can have a full week or sometimes a couple of weeks in a row of these things. But... in real life, a season also lasts three months. A week straight of thunderstorms in July is not equal to having T-storms every day for the entire summer. I don't mind any of these weather patterns but the game should have some sort of "streak breaker" in the code to prevent an entire season from being monotonous. If you are playing on week-long seasons, I'd say the game should prevent more than 2 days in a row of the same weather, so you get some variety. If you are playing 2-weeks, then maybe 4 days in a row would be max. If you are playing more than that, then 1-week in a row max. This way you're not just seeing the same weather over and over again for an entire season.
  • Options
    Emo-usagi2187Emo-usagi2187 Posts: 600 Member
    Summer of 4 weeks in my world ...
    Granite Falls

0kqsncnvv10b.jpeg

Magnolia Promenade

fftkvmq93ypi.jpg

Windenburg

zcsf3ejcn9br.jpg

Forgotten Hollow

vs9k8e0zycgs.jpg

Only Willow Creek, Oasis Springs and San Myshuno often get sunny days.

Lol who got shocked?
    [img][/img]48163509141_6d283a2fcb.jpg06-30-19_1-14-16 AM by Jeannita Szalai, on Flickr
  • Options
    TygerNightTygerNight Posts: 72 Member
    I'm also incredibly sick of t-storms, they are an incredible annoyance.
    1- All my Sims and animals are constantly stressed due to t-storm fear.
    2- My Sims get fried just leaving for work.
    3- T-storms destroy all my massive outdoor items. Items that IRL would have weather shielding built in, but I keep having to replace them. And since they removed the cheap normal telescope, I don't appreciate my massive outdoor telescope getting fried day after day.
    I love a good t-storm (ours are so short in NJ) but frazzled Sims are zero fun to play with. I hate to turn them off but that's the only answer I have.
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    You can turn them off in settings.... I usually have them off because I don't like all the reactions or being housebound on my sims much. Next time you play or if you miss having them you can always flip them back on when you start up your game.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    suzanna13suzanna13 Posts: 1,426 Member
    I have weather turned off and I still get rain and thunder storms but not as often as with it enabled.
  • Options
    invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member

Yes, that's my issue. They don't last all day and well into the night. Sometimes, we might get several hours in which one storm follows another, or a storm just sits in one spot for a couple of hours. Still, it's usually over within six or so hours. I don't know how many times thunderstorms have ruined Llama Day - my Sims can't go outside to worship at the Llama Shrine because the storms never let up.
    I just want things to match. :'(