Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Idea: New Worlds + Cultures (Japan example)

Comments

• Options
    Sally1502Sally1502 Posts: 258 Member
    I would like this if tey included more Traditional Furniture, like Futon Mattresses, and Tea Tables (the Dining Tables that you sit on your knees to eat at). As wellas Rice Paper Windows and Sliding Doors.
    Agreed! I'd like that. Nice ideas!
  • Options
    giveit2megiveit2me Posts: 37 Member
    edited June 2018
    • world:
    - have mountain(s),
    - have hot spring place (in mountain/forest?),
    >maybe it can be modern city with rural/historical/wild area
    - buildings should be size 10*10, 10*15, 15*15, 15*20, 20*20.

• gardening skill:
    - rice,
    - tea,
    - daikon,
    - mikan or yuzu (citrus fruits).

• build mode:
    - platform floors (in Japan almost all of building have platforms/different level of floors),
    - shoji/shōji doors (slide doors),
    - tatami floors,
    - more trees, flowers, moss and stones for gardens.

• home electronic/appliances:
    - rice maker,
    - toaster,
    - gas range top,
    - air purifiers and humidifier,
    - air conditioners.

• other things in buy mode:
    - futon (beds),
    - kotatsu (warm tables),
    - irori (old style heating system, can be use for cooking too),
    - neon lights and sings (more than we have now),
    - toro/tōrō (stone lanterns).

• activity/hobby:
    - kendo or aikido (martial art),
    - igo/go or shogi (chess),
    - tea ceremony,
    - calligraphy,
    - bonsai(there is already in game, but hope it can be improved),
    - pottery,
    - go to onsen/hot spring place for relax and healing.

• recipes:
    - nabemono like oden, sukiyaki (winter family/collective dishes in pot) <- this can be use like activity too,
    - onigiri,
    - tempura,
    - soba,
    - miso,
    - tsukemono,
    - gyudon/butadon/katsudon/oyakodon,
    - yakitori,
    - ... ... ...,
    - dorayaki / taiyaki.
    > this is hard to choice, there are a lot

I like modern Japan, but my list almost traditional, i want mix of old and new things, i guess.
    Post edited by giveit2me on
  • Options
    MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,774 Member
    edited June 2018
    Kimichi, bulgori for other recipes @Sally1502
    Post edited by MadameLee on
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    @giveit2me
    Awesome suggestions!!! I want it all! Thanks for this big list - I hope they see it and if they consider an Asian themed pack, include some of those ideas. I'd rather have all of them. :smile:
    In addition to my original post there is a lot of possible content already.
  • Options
    SimsILikeSimsSimsILikeSims Posts: 1,634 Member
    edited June 2018
    Cynna wrote: »
    catitude5 wrote: »
    I think this idea is better as a vacation destination. I wouldn't want it as a world.

I hate to say it, because I'm all about diversity, however, I tend to agree.

In a game where Sims can basically blink from one world to another, it's really hard to reconcile the differences. How can a Sim visit a desert town one moment, and later that day be in a place that looks like Japan?

That's part of the reason that I don't utilize all of the towns in the game. I mostly stick to San Myshuno, Willow Creek, Magnolia Promenade, and Newcrest. Because, it's possible to believe that those areas are within the same local area. Windenburg, Oasis Sprins, and Brindleton Bay are very different and so, I use those for "business trips" or vacations.

I would very much like to see a Japanese world, as pictured above. As well, I wish that we could have a Scandinavian world. However, I'm really trying to figure out how it will fit in the scheme of things.

My fondest wish is that EA made it possible for the players to Choose-Your-Own-World. We decide which worlds that we want to involve in our every day play and what's left over could be treated as vacation destinations. That would be the most equitable solution. In this way, non-American players would get a fair chance to create a world that feels most familiar to them.

Anyway, it was just a thought.

@Zara, I love your signature animation. I wish that's how gazing at the stars really looked. :)

In Washington State, USA, it is easily possible to go from a seaside town to a desert town in one day. It takes 3-6 hours, but it is possible. From Seattle, WA to Spokane, WA is only 300 miles. The western side of the state is evergreen forests, the eastern side of the state is sagebrush desert full of rattlesnakes, and irrigated farmland. Once you get to the cities, you see more evergreens again, but different types. I could see doing a "Chinatown" style neighborhood, since many big cities here in the USA tend to be very multicultural, and have areas where there are lots of Asians, or lots of Italians, or a whole section of the city with pride culture (especially cities like San Francisco), or a whole section of the city dedicated to local monuments (Salt Lake City, Washington DC) and so on. A lot of it has to do with how the cities were built up historically.

I'm not sure how a Scandinavian world would be different from what we have.. for one thing, I've never actually been to a Scandinavian country, and for another, mainly I could see adding new foods (ie pickled herring on rye, asparagus soup, and Swedish meatballs), and new decorations, and then we might get something similar to a Scandinavian neighborhood. I could definitely see a Scandinavian stuff pack, but I doubt it would merit a whole new neighborhood. I would rather see another empty buildable neighborhood like Newcrest added, since many of my saves have all the lots filled with Maxis restaurants, spas, bowling alleys, pools, parks, and Gallery content.

I would also love to see a Create A World tool come back for Sims 4. This would let players create their own buildable neighborhoods.
    I have been playing The Sims since 2001, when Livin Large came out. My avatar deliberately looks like Chris Roomies from TS1.
  • Options
    MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    In Washington State, USA, it is easily possible to go from a seaside town to a desert town in one day. It takes 3-6 hours, but it is possible.
    That's a long way! :p
    I live in a seaside city in Australia. I'm also about 3 streets back from the desert edge of the city.
    The desert literally meets the sea here.

From Seattle, WA to Spokane, WA is only 300 miles. The western side of the state is evergreen forests, the eastern side of the state is sagebrush desert full of rattlesnakes, and irrigated farmland.
    I always find irrigated farmland to be such a strange and wasteful concept.
    Desert farmland in Australia isn't usually irrigated, it's mostly used for grazing. And given that there is a desert farm that is the size of Israel, I really don't think anyone would want to pay the water bill for irrigating that!

I'm not sure how a Scandinavian world would be different from what we have.. for one thing, I've never actually been to a Scandinavian country, and for another, mainly I could see adding new foods (ie pickled herring on rye, asparagus soup, and Swedish meatballs), and new decorations, and then we might get something similar to a Scandinavian neighborhood. I could definitely see a Scandinavian stuff pack, but I doubt it would merit a whole new neighborhood.
    I've never been to Scandinavia, but I can certainly imagine a Scandinavian themed world.
    I think Aurora Skies in TS3 was supposed to have a Scandinavian vibe.
    8446213174_2d15b46a34.jpg
    [img]https://🐸🐸🐸🐸.googleusercontent.com/-Dr93YfRn0DE/UQlWrlde_LI/AAAAAAAAAKE/vDAzocbq-_U/s912/Screenshot%25202.jpg[/img]

Greenland-Photos-Wallpaper.jpg

I would rather see another empty buildable neighborhood like Newcrest added, since many of my saves have all the lots filled with Maxis restaurants, spas, bowling alleys, pools, parks, and Gallery content.
    I'd really like a new, empty world, themed to compliment each of the other worlds. SO city living could have a secondary world, with more empty apartments.

I would also love to see a Create A World tool come back for Sims 4. This would let players create their own buildable neighborhoods.
    As much as that is wanted, I don't see it happening. :(

AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,359 Member
    edited June 2018
  • Options
    Don't forget the country and the farmer life.

I love the Asian fields.

Good idea! The fields could be a place where the already mentioned new crops, such as rice, can be planted/harvested.

I am also very much in favour of a Create a World tool!
  • Options
    KaronKaron Posts: 2,332 Member
    I think this idea is better as a vacation destination. I wouldn't want it as a world.

Hm, no. The way Sims treats vacation destination is really weird. I am from Brazil, and i fins weird that i can visit a USA looking city without actual travelling, but i have to Travel If i want to visit Selvadorada. They should have implemented all worlds as travelling spots, but the one you choose to live. Idk maybe se could choose which one we want as a vacation spot, and which one we want as a homeworld. I have seen many people conplaining that they think its unrealistic how we can visit Windenburg (probably located in a Sim Europe), but not Selvadorada (probably located in a South Simerica)
  • Options
    @Karon I agree. I dont like the idea of most non American worlds being sort of 'scaled down' (as in, sims can't live there) to vavation worlds.
    It really would be best if all worlds could be both.
  • Options
    giveit2megiveit2me Posts: 37 Member
    edited June 2018
    Karon wrote: »
    Hm, no. The way Sims treats vacation destination is really weird. I am from Brazil, and i fins weird that i can visit a USA looking city without actual travelling, but i have to Travel If i want to visit Selvadorada. They should have implemented all worlds as travelling spots, but the one you choose to live.
    Agree.
    Else, i do not want that pack about one culture be mixed with other cultures: this will only mean that each of culture in pack will be represented as limited as possible, and Japanese culture is not those small and there are so many things what it can bring. Guess since developers set all those limits, they should not mix many different things in one pack.

But, there is one thing about vacation worlds i'm waiting for:hotels and possibility to own one.
    Post edited by giveit2me on
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,916 Member
    I'm surprised that EA/Maxis hasn't already done this already. A Far East expansion featuring China, Japan, etc., etc would do wonders for their bank balance. Think of those billions of possible Simmers! I loved the objects in the Sims 3 pack and wouldn't mind variants of those in Sims 4.

(Japan could put EA right about the May blossoming Season). :)
  • Options
    x_Always_Heart_xx_Always_Heart_x Posts: 567 Member
    Imagine visiting an African-esque town in the sims :open_mouth:
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    giveit2me wrote: »
    Else, i do not want that pack about one culture be mixed with other cultures: this will only mean that each of culture in pack will be represented as limited as possible, and Japanese culture is not those small and there are so many things what it can bring. Guess since developers set all those limits, they should not mix many different things in one pack.
    I couldn't agree with you more. If they consider something Japanese based, they should give it its own pack; same goes for other cultures. Like that, they can be covered in-depth and in a detailed manner plus we can pick and choose which ones we want.

Simburian wrote: »
    I'm surprised that EA/Maxis hasn't already done this already.
    I hope they do consider it. :smile:

That would be cool. I'd like some sort of safari experience as well. I see potential for an interesting and fresh pack - since Africa hasn't been approached in The Sims yet.
  • Options
    MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    My choices would be more european

I would love a Greek, or even Roman Empire, Revived world. So basically Ancient Empire in a Modern Age.

French, Parisian World would be cool.

Although the Wakandan empire idea would be awesome, it was a good movie.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • Options
    NindlNindl Posts: 510 Member
    I thought of some more ideas:
    mQCa5es.jpgGTyg4P6.jpg
    Mochi ice cream would be yummy! Also, I think it would be cool if the Sims could make bento. There could be different recipes or you can pick and choose from different kinds of meat, vegetables, etc to mix and match bentos and the boxes should be portable.
    oC8uEPZ.jpg
    With a higher cooking skill, Sims could make fancier bentos. Come to think of it, why not add a new food art skill with some new funny and cute recipes. Those would be especially sweet for toddlers or children! They would be nice for parties, too.
    76qysPq.png
    Another Japanese thing I think would be cool for the Sims are Tamagotchi-like devices, maybe with voidcritter characters. The Sims could play with them and get different emotions depending on what happens with their tama- voidcritter.
    a1bIUkE.jpg
  • Options
    MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    What part of Africa? It's a pretty big place, with 54 different countries, each having it's own culture, style and architecture.

Some examples of african towns:

Kassiesbaai
    tulbagh.jpg

Robertson
    1Yougit.jpg

Djenne
    56-3638435-1428263468c26749a826244117a5a5d56bcd93a597.jpg

Bo-Kaap
    South-Africa_Amazing-Photos-of-Towns-with-Colorful-Houses-Around-the-World-760x506.jpg

Lüderitz
    image-531913-galleryV9-oucd-531913.jpg

Kolmanskop
    Kolmanskop-Namibia.jpg?fit=954%2C636&ssl=1

Nzakara
    59df86391.jpg

Port St Johns
    umngazi-bungalows-as.jpg

Ganvie
    Ganvi%25C3%25A9+Ganvie+Benin+West+Africa+31.jpg

Personally, I really like the look of Bo-Kaap, but Kolmanskop fear shoes full of sand :/
    And Robertson looks like towns on the other side of the hills from here. Here being Australia.
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • Options
    Sally1502 wrote: »
    @Cynna
    I see what you mean. But you can always choose which worlds you go to. I'd want it to be a home world still, so I can actually play with a Japanese family in a Japanese town. Same would go for a Skandinavian world (nice suggestion!), an African one etc. It could let you play sims in completely new areas and various cultures. I have nothing against American worlds, but I think it would be nice to have something fresh and different too. Of course it would be strange to have it seem like your sims can basically walk from their American-ish Willow Creek to a Japanese inspired place - I agree with you here - but as it is, we can choose which worlds to visit with our sims when and how and like you mentioned, we can always pretend they go on "vacation". More diverse worlds to play and tell stories in, plus their respective cultures, would to me be an exciting and interesting new component for The Sims. :smile:

Yeah, that's why I suggested letting us choose our residential worlds kind of...a la carte. (Actually, the word that I was looking for is modular.)That way, each player could choose which hoods they want to have as "local" and which they would prefer as destinations -- rather than have EA do it.

Right now, we can choose not to utilize certain worlds. However the residents of those worlds regularly visit anyway, as if they're locals.

If the game world were more modular, eventually, anyone from any country would be able to customize a world to play in that is as familiar or unfamiliar to them as they would like it to be. The game could become truly international.

I know that in addition to an America-based save, I would also choose Central American and another that was more Scandinavian in influence.

Yeah, I know the chance of this level of customization is probably zero. It would require that EA create many more worlds, of various cultures, and/or a CAW so that the community could do it. Still, sometimes, it's nice to dream of what this game could be. :)

I know what you mean. I was sad to know that Selvadorada wouldnt have a living neighborhood... Since World Adventure i see people complaining about that... As simmers we want to be able to customize our game as much as we can!
  • Options
    CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member

I know what you mean. I was sad to know that Selvadorada wouldnt have a living neighborhood... Since World Adventure i see people complaining about that... As simmers we want to be able to customize our game as much as we can!

In comparison to WA, I've never been a great fan of JA. Yet, not having resident natives was probably the biggest disappointment for me.

I know that it's a game. However, it sets a bad precedent -- as if natives are only there for the service and amusement of tourists. Once the tourists aren't around, do they shut off like automatons and just stand around until they're needed again? I wish that they had homes as in WA.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • Options

In comparison to WA, I've never been a great fan of JA. Yet, not having resident natives was probably the biggest disappointment for me.

I know that it's a game. However, it sets a bad precedent -- as if natives are only there for the service and amusement of tourists. Once the tourists aren't around, do they shut off like automatons and just stand around until they're needed again? I wish that they had homes as in WA.

Thats just how i feel. :neutral:
  • Options
    Lady_BalloraLady_Ballora Posts: 790 Member
    I'd love to see a USA Road Trip GP. We could visit places like a small Missouri town, Florida, Hollywood,Las Vegas,Roswell, and Hawaii.I think a gp like that would be really fun.
    Why do you hide inside these walls?
  • Options
    x_Always_Heart_xx_Always_Heart_x Posts: 567 Member
    @Movotti well I was thinking of west African culture/environment

I know there are places in Africa that European influenced and i think we have enough that with Windenburg lol
  • Options
    Nindl wrote: »
    I thought of some more ideas:
    mQCa5es.jpgGTyg4P6.jpg
    Mochi ice cream would be yummy! Also, I think it would be cool if the Sims could make bento. There could be different recipes or you can pick and choose from different kinds of meat, vegetables, etc to mix and match bentos and the boxes should be portable.
    oC8uEPZ.jpg
    With a higher cooking skill, Sims could make fancier bentos. Come to think of it, why not add a new food art skill with some new funny and cute recipes. Those would be especially sweet for toddlers or children! They would be nice for parties, too.
    76qysPq.png
    Another Japanese thing I think would be cool for the Sims are Tamagotchi-like devices, maybe with voidcritter characters. The Sims could play with them and get different emotions depending on what happens with their tama- voidcritter.
    a1bIUkE.jpg

Awesome ideas! I'd like all of that a lot. An additional food skill like that, which works like the gourmet food skill, would be sweet. Also tamagotchi would be great!
  • Options
    Luuciia1Luuciia1 Posts: 71 Member
    Sally1502 wrote: »
    As I have seen some people suggesting an Asian themed world I started to think about how that could look like. I looked into Japan specifially and collected some ideas. I am by no means an expert regarding Japan or anything Asian at all. But I am interested in the culture, and think a Japanese inspired world could be fun.

I think adding more worlds from different continents, such as Asia or Africa or Australia, could be a possibility to introduce a CAS option of choosing a sims origin/ethnicity. Maybe they could have certain culture skills then (recipes, dances), a special way of greeting (like bowing or nodding instead of waving or shaking hands) and perhaps even new special traits. Other sims could learn those culture skills.
    I am not sure if this would be difficult to add considering the worlds/cultures that are already in the game.

I imagined the world to be a home world and not a destination world. It should be a nice blend of housing area, town and nature.

tokyo_street_animation_by_arsenixc-db6kx27.gif

20140706-glasslip01-03.jpg

PLki6y1.jpg

Some things I thought would be nice:
    • food; sushi, ramen, tempura, mochi,...
    • traditional and modern hair & clothing
    • suiting furniture
    • animals; deer, monkey, red panda , raccoon dog
    • mythology
    • school uniform for kids and teens

Kiyomizu%20Temple%204.jpg

Nara%203.jpg

Sensoji%20temple%202.jpg

This idea could work with other world types, e.g. something African inspired, as well. I think it would be fun to have more diverse cultures implemented in The Sims 4. But I don't know if enough people would actually like to see worlds like that. I too am first and foremost for a nice beach or alpine world. Still - just sharing an idea that has been wandering around in my head. :smile:

OMG i have been talking about this in another discussion board and let me tell you that I hope the sim-gurus hear you, because I need something like this and I absolutely LOVE it !!!!! Hope they will someday soon introduce game packs maybe completely featuring and focusing in just one cultural area as you have mentioned, fingers crossed !
  • Options
    @Karon @Cynna
    I completely agree with you.
    It would be nice if they could patch in houses and residents for Selvadorada (though I somehow doubt they would do that) and make it different to begin with when they create new packs/worlds based on other cultures. We should be able to choose to use each world as a home and a vacation destination. I really dislike the idea of almost everything not-American being only a vacation destination.

Just like Africa, Europe has many different architectural styles and cultures. Europe is everything from Spain to Italy to Greece to Germany to England to Sweden plus a lot more. All of these would look different. Windenburg is German-ish (Sims Wiki on Windenburg: "...heavily based on central and southern regions of Germany"). Being from a part of Europe, I find it odd when Windenburg is described as European and don't know what people mean/want when they say they want something European lol. It really needs more clarification I think. And Windenburg is by far not everything Europe would offer for potential worlds. :smile: