Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Restaurants take too long

It seems like that when dining at a restaurant, there is a lot of time that passes between the time a sim is seated, and the food is brought out. I usually order right away. It averages 3 hours, but my sims have once been stuck at a restaurant for 5 hours. Can we speed up the time to bring out food?

Comments

• Options
    GoldenBuffyGoldenBuffy Posts: 4,025 Member
    If you're not against mods, I use this one: http://modthesims.info/d/580377. Though I've noticed recently that my sims have been getting served much slower than before.
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• Options
    SimmerNickYTSimmerNickYT Posts: 703 Member
    Yup, I have this too. That's also why I don't really dine out anymore.
    Not so obsessed anymore with building in TS4!
    YouTube: https://goo.gl/PK7vxR | The Gallery: https://goo.gl/a5DZAK
    Twitter: https://goo.gl/QzQVUK | Origin-ID: SimmerNickYT
    hPtVNfA.png
  • Options
    AnthonydyerAnthonydyer Posts: 1,197 Member
    NickSims wrote: »

@NickSims Same here. On top of that, my sim friends always ask me out to eat at the most inappropriate times. Such as during my sims are eating, right as they go to bed, and within one hour of going to work. It drives me nuts.
  • Options

@NickSims Same here. On top of that, my sim friends always ask me out to eat at the most inappropriate times. Such as during my sims are eating, right as they go to bed, and within one hour of going to work. It drives me nuts.

Yup I have that too. So annoying.
    hPtVNfA.png
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited April 2018
    Technically restaurants in real life is why we have fast food places too. But frankly for me - nothing beats going out to a real restaurant for a none fast food experience. You do not expect a restaurant meal to be in and out like Taco Bell or any of the fast food franchises. You expect a 4+ hour experience. My first job when I was in college was working evenings at a very nice, fancy restaurant - and the average table service was about 4-5 or more hours from start to finish for a table. Of course in a true restaurant meals are delivered in courses, one course at a time - allowing people to eat each course before the next part is delivered. We delivered 5 courses to each table - with a few tables ordering up to two more courses. It was not unusual in that restaurant to see the same folks there still at their table my entire shift. I worked from 5pm -11pm.

If you have never been to a full service restaurant - then yes you would think it takes a long time. To me it is pretty normal - as that is the dining experience I prefer. Maybe though this game could use some fast food restaurants where food is delivered all at once and fast- and save the fancy restaurant for sims who use them for a dinner date.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    edited April 2018
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    Technically restaurants in real life is why we have fast food places too. But frankly for me - nothing beats going out to a real restaurant for a none fast food experience. You do not expect a restaurant meal to be in and out like Taco Bell or any of the fast food franchises. You expect a 4+ hour experience. My first job when I was in college was working evenings at a very nice, fancy restaurant - and the average table service was about 4-5 or more hours from start to finish for a table. Of course in a true restaurant meals are delivered in courses, one course at a time - allowing people to eat each course before the next part is delivered. We delivered 5 courses to each table - with a few tables ordering up to two more courses. It was not unusual in that restaurant to see the same folks there still at their table my entire shift. I worked from 5pm -11pm.

If you have never been to a full service restaurant - then yes you would think it takes a long time. To me it is pretty normal - as that is the dining experience I prefer. Maybe though this game could use some fast food restaurants where food is delivered all at once and fast- and save the fancy restaurant for sims who use them for a dinner date.

But a two course dinner shouldn't take 5 hours in the game.

Also when I have a two course dinner at a restaurant irl I take 2-3 hours. Not everyone wants a 4+ hour long experience. And if shorter it's already fastfood?

I would like to see fastfood restaurant in the game though. Right now we can only order pizza and that's it. Kind of sad.
    hPtVNfA.png
  • Options

I see your point of view. Personally, I would go nuts sitting at a table for 4-5 hours. When my family goes to a restaurant, sometimes we order our drinks and meal at the same time, we eat, and we get out of there.

Also when I have a two course dinner at a restaurant irl I take 2-3 hours. Not everyone wants a 4+ hour long experience. And if shorter it's already fastfood?

I would like to see fastfood restaurant in the game though. Right now we can only order pizza and that's it. Kind of sad.

I agree. I don't want to sit at a table for 4+ hours. I like to keep it under 2 hours... preferably between 1 hr to 1 hr 30 min. It is especially worse with the sim clock where time goes by so fast. I think in the sims, food should be ready right after the order is placed. It will take plenty of time to bring the food over and eat it.
  • Options

I see your point of view. Personally, I would go nuts sitting at a table for 4-5 hours. When my family goes to a restaurant, sometimes we order our drinks and meal at the same time, we eat, and we get out of there.

I agree. I don't want to sit at a table for 4+ hours. I like to keep it under 2 hours... preferably between 1 hr to 1 hr 30 min. It is especially worse with the sim clock where time goes by so fast. I think in the sims, food should be ready right after the order is placed. It will take plenty of time to bring the food over and eat it.

Sure, but that would make the cooks irrelevant. Everything just takes to long and should be made shorter imo.
    hPtVNfA.png
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    edited April 2018
    I don't agree, to me going to a restaurant is an outing and partly entertainment. I plan for it... and enjoy it. It's a sims game. To make it less would lessen the whole date/outing process for me. It typically takes 4-6 hours for me, this includes from the time my sims "land" at the restaurant, request seating, be seated, wait for the waiter, order, wait for the food (waiter gives the order and chef cooks it) and chit chat, be served (if it isn't dropped), eat and socialize more, order desert (rare for me). Often I even find a way to linger longer.. like get a drink at the bar or chat with others my sims know after eating. I don't rush the process because that's what I paid to see. All the animations and things that come with a simulated dining experience.
    I think the home cooking and eating takes about 2 hours if you throw in anything else.. watching tv, listening to the radio or just conversing during cooking/eating it could take longer. I even cook group meals/avoid other sims while eating when my sim is at home to get them out and about and doing things in their day. So comparatively for me it really isn't that much longer there are just more processes involved.
    This is just how long it takes for this game and I believe it's more for entertainment purposes. It sure beats standing by the bed and cursing for 2 hours when you wake up (Sims 1).
    I would probably be upset if they lessened it or tried to tweak it as this is what I like and am use too. No offense to you and your wishes for the game but to me speeding it up would be nerfing it.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    edited April 2018

Sure, but that would make the cooks irrelevant. Everything just takes to long and should be made shorter imo.

But we delivered 5 courses with every meal - regardless of when you ordered - and the next course was not delivered until the present course was finished and removed. The main course was the third course of the meal. There were beverages for each course. It was part of the meal regardless of what you ordered. We were not allowed to bring every thing at once. Keep in mind this was a full service restaurant - where you have a cover charge just coming in the place, need reservations often days in advance, not a Howard Johnson Family restaurant or an Olive Garden. This was the kind of place where celebrities frequented with their families. It had a dress code even. It was impossible to get in and out of that place in less than 3-4 hours, and as I said many were there during my entire 7 hour shift.

It was more an experience than just dinner. LOL. (Shoot, it was an experience just to work there).

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options

But we delivered 5 courses with every meal - regardless of when you ordered - and the next course was not delivered until the present course was finish. The main course was the third course of the meal. There were beverages for each course. It was part of the meal regardless of what you ordered. We were not allowed to bring every thing at once. Keep in mind this was a full service restaurant - where you have a cover charge just coming in the place, need reservations often days in advance, not a Howard Johnson Family restaurant or an Olive Garden. This was the kind of place where celebrities frequented with their families. It had a dress code even. It was impossible to get in and out of that place in less than 3-4 hours, and as I said many were there during my entire 7 hour shift.

It was more an experience than just dinner. LOL.

Yeah okay. I get what kind of restaurant you worked at. It sounds great. All I said was that a two course meal in the game shouldn't take 5 hours just like how in your irl restaurant you can serve 5 courses in the same amount of time. In TS4 an olive garden experience shouldn't take 5 hours, like I have in my game.
    hPtVNfA.png
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    The game could accommodate both. Just order what you want on the menu. If you want 5 courses, order an appetiser, a drink, a salad, a meal, and a dessert. If you want 2 courses, order a drink and a meal. What I was saying from the beginning is it shouldn't take 3 hours to get a fish taco.
  • Options
    The game could accommodate both. Just order what you want on the menu. If you want 5 courses, order an appetiser, a drink, a salad, a meal, and a dessert. If you want 2 courses, order a drink and a meal. What I was saying from the beginning is it shouldn't take 3 hours to get a fish taco.

The thing is though, if you do the three course meal (i.e. app, main course, and dessert) then it will take slightly longer than with just ordering a drink and a meal. I've had it where my sims have sat down, and another table will get their food right after my sims places their orders. The other sims will finish eating and my sims still haven't gotten their food yet. A second table will get their food, then finally my sims will get served.

I like the idea of them popping in for a quick bite. But it takes three hours sometimes. That is not quick. lol But I also like the idea of my sims going out for a nice formal dinner. That's when I don't mind them sitting, chatting, and eating for a few hours.

But I do agree, it would be nice if they game could accommodate both options, but within a reasonable amount of time.
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• Options
    edited May 2018

The thing is though, if you do the three course meal (i.e. app, main course, and dessert) then it will take slightly longer than with just ordering a drink and a meal. I've had it where my sims have sat down, and another table will get their food right after my sims places their orders. The other sims will finish eating and my sims still haven't gotten their food yet. A second table will get their food, then finally my sims will get served.

I like the idea of them popping in for a quick bite. But it takes three hours sometimes. That is not quick. lol But I also like the idea of my sims going out for a nice formal dinner. That's when I don't mind them sitting, chatting, and eating for a few hours.

But I do agree, it would be nice if they game could accommodate both options, but within a reasonable amount of time.

I generally control it with the menu choice. Like want a quicker experience limit your menu to just sandwiches and maybe salad and basic beverages like coffee and milk - so it is sort of fast food style. But for full services restaurants limit their menus to type of restaurant - like a seafood restaurant have just seafood. A steak house - steaks, beef, dishes. So changing up and limiting choices of menus may make a bit faster experience. Keep the sandwich restaurants smaller - nothing to attract sims attention, fewer table etc. Perhaps that will help you.

I just know earlier restaurants were slower than they are now - but if you are still having issues and long meals perhaps giving them less choice and less distractions will speed up the process. As for not staying seated - I just have no idea as my sims no longer roam like they used to - so I have no idea why some of you still have those issues.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    Well I'm not sure how many of you have actually tried it but you can buy "quick" food at bars (base game) and cafe's (Get Together). You have to direct your sims more but if you go order before the crowd shows up you can do your eating pretty quick. There is also retail where you can set up food in cases for your sims to grab. I don't know the in's and outs of that but I have sent ghosts to buy ambrosia from retail places made by other simmers that I downloaded. In that the food goes in your sims inventory but you can go to a table with it and eat. There are also of course the food carts (City Living and JA).. it's meant to be quick.
    I'm not trying to be a jerk about it..even if it comes off that way. I am saying there are multiple ways to get a quicker meal in the game without asking them to redo a system already in place. Not that I think this sort of desire will be catered too. I think you will basically end up modding in a quicker system.. which is available.
    I am going to add that I do hope they do add in for us some type of fast food establishment that works better than our current cafe's do. I just know I avoid them as you can really only order one thing at a time (food OR drink) or it's highly subject to being swiped.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    AstreonAstreon Posts: 1,291 Member
    I agree. It just takes way too long, especially if you’re in a big restaurant, and it’s a nightmare if the waiter drops your food. I also hate how you can’t order appetizers, main dishes, and desserts all in one go. It already takes long to just order one thing so I can’t even be bothered to order other stuff because of it.
  • Options
    edited May 2018

I generally control it with the menu choice. Like want a quicker experience limit your menu to just sandwiches and maybe salad and basic beverages like coffee and milk - so it is sort of fast food style. But for full services restaurants limit their menus to type of restaurant - like a seafood restaurant have just seafood. A steak house - steaks, beef, dishes. So changing up and limiting choices of menus may make a bit faster experience. Keep the sandwich restaurants smaller - nothing to attract sims attention, fewer table etc. Perhaps that will help you.

I just know earlier restaurants were slower than they are now - but if you are still having issues and long meals perhaps giving them less choice and less distractions will speed up the process. As for not staying seated - I just have no idea as my sims no longer roam like they used to - so I have no idea why some of you still have those issues.

I'll fiddle around with my menus. I do have one fast food type, it's called "Good Dogs", all they serve are hot dogs, tofu dogs and pop (soda). And I believe ice cream or brownies. Yet, even with that limited menu, the wait time is pretty long. *sigh* Hopefully I can find a nice in between! Thanks for the suggestions!
    Hermitgirl wrote: »
    Well I'm not sure how many of you have actually tried it but you can buy "quick" food at bars (base game) and cafe's (Get Together). You have to direct your sims more but if you go order before the crowd shows up you can do your eating pretty quick. There is also retail where you can set up food in cases for your sims to grab. I don't know the in's and outs of that but I have sent ghosts to buy ambrosia from retail places made by other simmers that I downloaded. In that the food goes in your sims inventory but you can go to a table with it and eat. There are also of course the food carts (City Living and JA).. it's meant to be quick.
    I'm not trying to be a jerk about it..even if it comes off that way. I am saying there are multiple ways to get a quicker meal in the game without asking them to redo a system already in place. Not that I think this sort of desire will be catered too. I think you will basically end up modding in a quicker system.. which is available.
    I am going to add that I do hope they do add in for us some type of fast food establishment that works better than our current cafe's do. I just know I avoid them as you can really only order one thing at a time (food OR drink) or it's highly subject to being swiped.

Yeah, I use to do this before DO was released.
    Astreon wrote: »
    I agree. It just takes way too long, especially if you’re in a big restaurant, and it’s a nightmare if the waiter drops your food. I also hate how you can’t order appetizers, main dishes, and desserts all in one go. It already takes long to just order one thing so I can’t even be bothered to order other stuff because of it.

Yessss! lol It always seems to happen to my sims when I just want them to stop for a quick bite. The waiter will drop their order. It does make me laugh almost every time though.
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• Options
    waggymiley2013waggymiley2013 Posts: 239 Member
    I blame all the cooking animations we get in the game. If we didn't have lengthy cooking animations the meals would get cooked and probably delivered faster. A sim at home cooking takes over a sim hour sometimes all thanks to the animations of dropping salt in the pan and so on. I wish they would shorten the cooking times for the Dine out stations. Its something that seriously needs looking in to.
  • Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,245 Member
    edited May 2018
    Maybe the restaurant need to be "optimized" a little :
    • No staircase
    • Several chiefs
    • No distractive object (bookshelf, pool, ...)
    • Tables near the host and the kitchen

Less the waiters will walk, quicker they will serve and remove the dishes.

I always said the Sim time run too quick, x2 slower would be better.
  • Options
    Astreon wrote: »

You know, the waiter dropped my sim's food yesterday. I left the restaurant without eating because I was sick and tired of waiting.
  • Options
    I blame all the cooking animations we get in the game. If we didn't have lengthy cooking animations the meals would get cooked and probably delivered faster. A sim at home cooking takes over a sim hour sometimes all thanks to the animations of dropping salt in the pan and so on. I wish they would shorten the cooking times for the Dine out stations. Its something that seriously needs looking in to.

That's true. I wish they would just slow down the game clock just a little bit. Therefore it won't take a sim hour to take a shower.
  • Options
    FinvolaFinvola Posts: 1,041 Member
    edited May 2018
    I remember a time when I sent a family of 4 out for a meal. Parents and two children. They ended up being there for 10 hours, and by then the kids were hungry and tired. I should have had them leave much sooner. I don't know what the massive delay was about. I know food was dropped at least once but I don't know what else contributed to the holdup. It was like the staff simply forgot the family existed. Other diners were coming and going while mine were still waiting. I was expecting to be there for about 4 hours, not 10.

I did make my own restaurant once, it took a bit for me to get the layout right. When I ran it, it only had drinks and one food item, which was Franks N' Beans. Yes, I wanted to see how many customers tooted after eating and I also wanted to see if I could get it to 5 stars with just one food option on the menu. I did!

Anyway, if I place it in my world and not run it myself, I set the menu just to have standard fare. There is a selection of drinks apps, mains, and desserts. There are no holdups or routing failures with it, but it did take a lot of tweaking and rearranging to get it running well. However, I am no builder, it is not the prettiest of places on the outside and it is pretty basic on the inside.

I do like using others creations in my saves but sometimes there is just too much farting around (no wait, maybe that was my Franks N' Bean restaurant, har har) sometimes and meals take an eternity. Not all the time, but I won't forget the 10 hour ordeal. I can't remember if that was a Maxis build or one I got from the gallery.
  • Options
    TheHarbinger_51TheHarbinger_51 Posts: 1,702 Member
    It depends on the layout of the restaurant. Sometimes people put a lot of stuff in the way of the cooks in the kitchen. There are some restaurants on the gallery that look nice but have unnecessary stuff in the way that causes routing issues. I noticed that once I used an italian restaurant , my sims wait times there were like a whole sim hour+ , but when I downloaded a different, mexican food place, that was layed out very well, that the wait time was probably 30 sim minutes. And thats 30 seconds in real time.
  • Options
    Bluebeard45Bluebeard45 Posts: 3,889 Member
    Between the odd hour phone calls to eat out and slow wait time I gave up on the dine out thing.
  • Options

You may be on to something there. Sometimes I don't mind my sim flipping some spices in the air, or doing fancy knife tricks. Other times, I just want them to cook so every sim can eat. But I doubt they would go in and tune how long it takes a sim to cook. Maybe someone in the modding community could make a tuning mod?
    Maybe the restaurant need to be "optimized" a little :
    • No staircase
    • Several chiefs
    • No distractive object (bookshelf, pool, ...)
    • Tables near the host and the kitchen

Less the waiters will walk, quicker they will serve and remove the dishes.

I always said the Sim time run too quick, x2 slower would be better.

My seafood restaurant is what I would say is "optimized" there's a bar (but no one uses it), only one level. About four to five tables. Two waiters, and once chef. And one waiter hardly does anything, they just stand around, or will move from table to table collecting dirty dishes but never taking them away. They will drop off the pile of dirtiness at other tables or on the floor.

There are only two bath rooms, no wall stereos, no arcade games, no distractions what so ever, yet it still takes a good while for meals to come out of the kitchen.

The in-game time has always gone super fast in my opinion. But it wasn't until Sims 3 that I discovered you could adjust the time using NRaas. I have that game and Sims 4 (using MCC) slowed down to 38. So a day for me is actually a day, and though they don't have all the time in the world, they can at least get more things finished.

epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!