Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I can't tell if a topic is about Sims 3 or 4

garapoesgarapoes Posts: 422 Member
edited April 2018 in Forum Ideas & Feedback
Example:
Simbot vs plumbots in Expansion Packs Closed

I have not played Sims 3 that much so for many people it might be obvious that this is about Sims 3, but not for me.

Can't this be changed in:

Simbot vs plumbots in Sims 3: Expansion Packs Closed

?

And then this one:

This game is a joke in Expansion Packs

Is about Sims 4.

So that does not make any sense.
English is not my first language so sorry if I make any mistakes!

Comments

• Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    You should be able to tell by which forum category a topic is in.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    EA_MageEA_Mage Posts: 1,354 EA Staff (retired)
    Hi @garapoes ,

@luthienrising Is correct - the best way to tell where the post is the forum/category name.
    7yp0kkw26niq.png

The forum houses a lot of topics from all The Sims games, so renaming them to specify The Sims game they are about would not be feasible.

Thanks,
    -Mage
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    If you click on Category instead of Discussion at the top of page, then you will find the right spots where you want to find out or talk about something. Discussions hold all discussions on the site. Always click on Category at top then you can see all categories.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    But The Sims 4 has way to many sub categories, it's ridiculous. @luthienrising that's when you click on the topic.

It should be in the title, it's not that hard.
  • Options
    lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,288 Member
    edited April 2018
    The thing to remember is that if members are posting their threads in their respected areas (TS2/TS3/TS4), then they're not going to add which Sims game it is unless they're creating a comparison thread between the games and if they're creating the thread over in the Off Topic section. So we really shouldn't expect the thread creator to add whichever game that they're talking about if they're creating them in their proper sections. And I think the only other times that I've seen members adding which game that they talking about in the title is when they'e asking what others like/dislike about TS2, TS3 or TS4. And if there's any TS4 players who would prefer to share their stories/legacies in The Sims 3 Creative Corner even though TS4 has their own and because there's players out there who don't mind having all of the Sims stories/legacies in one area.

Now when I created my thread over in The Sims 3 Creative Corner> Legacies & Stories, I did add TS3 to my title because at the time that section was still just considered The Creative Corner and had TS2/TS4 stories in there.

EDit to say that the TS3 thread (Simbots vs. Plumbots) that you have listed in your 1st post was created in 2013 and had the last comment made in 2013 before being revived, so the date itself should be a good indication that the thread was talking about TS3 since TS4 hadn't even been released yet... ;)

Editing again to say that when that thread got created in 2013, it was on the old TS3 site, so there really wasn't no need to add which game it was back then.

This site was first opened up in August 2014.
    Post edited by lisasc360 on
  • Options
    dopaminedroiddopaminedroid Posts: 169 Member
    I always look at the recent discussions page, because I'm not going to go through every single topic daily to see if any new interesting topics have come up. And I agree that it's annoying you can't see what main category a topic is in without opening it. If the title of the topic is long, then the subcategory gets cut off too.
    It would be nice if the discussions page would show the title of the discussion the way it is now and then underneath in a smaller font its category directory (like it currently shows at the top of the thread page).
    -OneGrilledCheese @ the gallery-
  • Options

Now I can see what categories the threads on in on the Discussions page. But granted that there are some with longer titles that make that category go into hiding. I do believe though that if one is looking at the site on a mobile device such as a cell phone, then you're not going to see what sections each thread is in.

This is a picture of the Discussions page from my PC and I can see what sections the threads are in.
    CLJfvgF.png
  • Options
    lisasc360 wrote: »
    Now I can see what categories the threads on in on the Discussions page. But granted that there are some with longer titles that make that category go into hiding. I do believe though that if one is looking at the site on a mobile device such as a cell phone, then you're not going to see what sections each thread is in.

This is a picture of the Discussions page from my PC and I can see what sections the threads are in.
    CLJfvgF.png

Yeah, but you can only see the name of the subsubcategory it's in, and it's not always clear what larger category (such as S3 or S4) that subcategory is located in.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member

CLJfvgF.png

Yeah, but you can only see the name of the subsubcategory it's in, and it's not always clear what larger category (such as S3 or S4) that subcategory is located in.

But if you click Category you can get into the correct section and never have to see all discussion concerning all the other games. Pretty simple.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    Cinebar wrote: »

CLJfvgF.png

But if you click Category you can get into the correct section and never have to see all discussion concerning all the other games. Pretty simple.

Exactly... :) I don't even use the Discussion tab as I'm only interested in TS3 and I also visit the Off Topic section a few times a day.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    But that's not really the point, though. :confused: This is a suggestion about how the recent discussion page could be improved, for people who want to use the recent discussion page. I'm mostly interested in TS4, but I'm interested in potentially interesting topics from *any* category. That's why I use the recent page instead of looking through every single category and subcategory every day for a few new and interesting posts.

Not being able to see the category in the recent page view is not a big deal. But changing that is a suggestion I like because it makes everything clearer. I've often been confused for a moment opening a discussion and thinking it was about one game but it was about another, because a certain title might have seemed interesting if it was about TS4 but not after finding out it's about TSM, and vice versa for another title. Again, not a big deal and not difficult to find out... but it doens't hurt to look at ways things could be made even more efficient. The category doesn't have to be in the title for me, just a little 'The Sims 4 > The Sims 4 Pack Discussions > Expension Packs' underneath the title so I know what vaguer titles are refering to immediately. Especially when using a phone, where you can see less of the title and category.

Not to come of lazy, but it would be nice to see what every new discussion is about without either having to open every thread in the discussions page to look at the category on the top of the thread's page, or having to browse every single subcategory across the entire forum manually for new posts. I'm going to keep using the recent discussions page anyhow. :smiley:
  • Options
    princess_kaguyaprincess_kaguya Posts: 508 Member
    :|        
  • Options
    Cinebar wrote: »

But there are way to many categories. 31 categories to open...