Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

If The Sims is only going to be a mobile game in the future then I am gone

Comments

• Options
    ShadowmarkedShadowmarked Posts: 1,054 Member
    edited April 2018
    garapoes wrote: »
    Why do people think that Sims 4 will be the last game? Where are your sources?
    No sources just speculation on recent events.
    Post edited by Shadowmarked on
  • Options
    honeywitchhoneywitch Posts: 321 Member
    Just chiming in to say -- this is by far my favorite game series (has been since 2010) and I refuse to buy/play The Sims on anything besides a PC. I have no problem with the mobile and console versions existing - I have a problem with the speculative idea of the main aka PC version being phased out/cut to the bare minimum. I'm not even okay with an online-only/multiplayer PC version. Even that's unacceptable imo. Mobile only is far beyond the pale.
  • Options
    BMSOBMSO Posts: 3,273 Member
    If the Sims is moved to a mobile based platform only then I'm out. I've been playing since the Early 2000's and not going to play it on a mobile device.
    Bmso85's emporium - mysims4studios

• Options
    domina89domina89 Posts: 221 Member
    I've been a player since Sims 1 and I will not switch to a mobile format. If that's the future, then I'm done as well. I can partly understand the move since most tweens, teens and young adults stay glued to their phones and many don't even own a computer, but there are many of us who prefer the PC format. I have a large screen laptop with a high speed processor which I had built especially to run my Sims games. I wouldn't even consider downsizing to a small screen at this point. For those who like mobile, that's great, have fun, but it's just not a format for all of us. My hope is that EA continues production for all formats, but my gut is telling me otherwise.
  • Options
    SatjiSatji Posts: 1 New Member
    I will not switch to mobile format. The Sims is a game that need to be played on PC du to the gameplay (=the way we play)
    But anyway, it's EA choice and we will see how it goes.
  • Options
    Destin2016Destin2016 Posts: 568 Member
    I’ll still keep playing on the PC, but I won’t be spending anymore on the Sims if it does go mobile.
    You like me because I'm a scoundrel. There aren't enough scoundrels in your life.
  • Options
    KelzKelz Posts: 53 Member
    Whoa. Mobile only? I didn't know that this was a possibility. I hate playing games on my mobile and I cannot even imagine the Sims as mobile only. I'm going to pretend I never even read this and keep on thinking that the Sims on PC has a long life ahead!
    My Sims Youtube

Find me on the gallery: kelzmckean
  • Options
    TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member
    The thing is we PC Players gave the sims the popularity it has now. Without us this could have been a failure grom the start. But we are here. Most if the franchise passionate fans are PC players. The satisfaction in a sims game that we are looking can only be found on PC experience, not mobile. If EA are going to mobile, then expect a flame from millions of simmers around the world
  • Options
    ElenPinkElenPink Posts: 541 Member
    This news breaks my heart. I have been playing this game for years.
    webp_net_gifmaker_by_sarcasmisbetter-dcfn6tz.gif
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    The problem of course isn’t there being a mobile version, I believe there always has been? The problem will be when that’s all we will be able to choose.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    BruceSF55BruceSF55 Posts: 135 Member
    edited April 2018
    I have always considered myself to be a loyal Sims fan.

I have played The Sims since the first day it became available for purchase. I have owned all of the packs for all of the Sims games since the original Sims. I bought every pack for The Sims and The Sims 2. In Sims 3 I owned all packs and about 90% of the store. Now that my husband plays we both own all packs for The Sims 4. I totally refuse to ever play The Sims on mobile. I started The Sims originally because it was made known that we could make all families, even ones like mine. My husband (I call him my husbear) played The Sims Mobile on his phone for about about three hours before he deleted it.

I will never play a mobile Sims game. I want my PC version only.

I truly hope that EA/Maxis will continue to flesh out the rest of The Sims 4 before they stop the franchise.

PC YES - Mobile NO !

(Edited for Syntax Errors)
  • Options
    LuvMySimzLuvMySimz Posts: 642 Member
    Mobile games are in general bad for your health, eyes especially. Starring at the little screen for hours is proved to cause eye problems and cervical spinal syndromes. And if you don't have/need glasses yet, you sure will soon. Therefore mobile games are a NoGo for me.
    „ - Criticism may not be agreeable, but it's sometimes necessary - “

• Options
    ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    LuvMySimz wrote: »
    Mobile games are in general bad for your health, eyes especially. Starring at the little screen for hours is proved to cause eye problems and cervical spinal syndromes. And if you don't have/need glasses yet, you sure will soon. Therefore mobile games are a NoGo for me.
    Reading books is alas just as bad. But your eyes will suffer no matter what:
    1. If you read a lot because you need a long education or use a smartphone with a small screen too much then you will become nearsighted.
    2. If you don’t read much and just mainly work in the fields or in a forest then you will become farsighted and soon unable to read without using glasses.

Personally I prefer the first option because it has made me able to read, use a smartphone and also use a computer without glasses even in an age where almost everybody else need glasses for such things. I only need glasses when I am watching TV or go out of my house and I like that :)
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,872 Member
    edited April 2018
    I know this is the rumors and speculation forum but video games, whether on a mobile device, or computer will not cause permanent eye damage. Maybe temporary conditions like eye strain. The same applies to reading.

https://www.essilorusa.com/newsroom/can-my-video-games-hurt-my-eyes
  • Options
    MissNightOwlMissNightOwl Posts: 740 Member
    The mobile games are so different experience from the sandbox PC ones. I feel there's usually there's not much place for player's creativity in the mobile, and that's pretty important part of the Sims. I'm not a big fan of the first one, but I play them every now and then, however I can't imagine getting as engaged as into the PC versions of the Sims. I feel like going only mobile wouldn't be the smartest decision.

But if they did it, well, I guess I could live with that as long as they complete TS4 and I could play the old games. I'm not planning on quitting the game I enjoy, just because of some company's decision.
  • Options
    I agree that there is more to it than what I wrote above. Using a PC usually won’t affect your eyes. Reading a book likely also won’t if you keep a good distance between your eyes and the book. But exactly that was my problem already when I was a teen because reading a small book and keeping it at least 30 cm away from your eyes wasn’t very comfortable. Therefore I kept it closer which meant that I became nearsighted at one of my eyes already when I was about 18 yrs old. I got glasses to correct that. But the effect was that I very soon became nearsighted at my other eye too.

I had friends who worked instead of reading and studying and they very often became farsighted instead in a very young age. But none of us students became farsighted. But very often nearsighted.

I guess that using phones or tablets to read digital books or to play games has the same problem. But who want to hold a phone at least 30 cm away all the time?
  • Options
    PegasysPegasys Posts: 1,135 Member
    I too, will never play sims on a mobile device. I'm sure it lacks the depth and complexity for me. Plus I never pay for microtransactions. The only mobile game I play now is Words with Friends, and I still prefer to play that on my desktop (via Facebook).
  • Options
    MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    I don't get the appeal of games on phones. My phone won't hold charge for long enough for games AND all the real world things I use it for, not to mention that staring at a tiny screen isn't good for your eyes.
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • Options
    Mobile gamers are usually very young and not much at home. For them the appeal of mobile games therefore is that they can play the games everywhere. In a school bus, in a break between two lessons in school, when they are visiting a friend, in bed or wherever. Mobile games are usually meant to be played many times during a day. But only for a few minutes each time.
  • Options
    More_MooreMore_Moore Posts: 408 Member
    It's highly unlikely that the Sims will be going solely mobile. And I mean highly highly. That being said, I'm fine with mobile games (and all games platforms for that matter, as a hardcore gamer XD) but The Sims, for me, will always be a PC-dominant title. :mrgreen:
    Simmer since day one. Owns every Expansion and extras. Even the console games. XD

Feel free to chat me (I like games/RPGs, game dev, and animu/anime)
  • Options
    BariSaxyBariSaxy Posts: 4,699 Member
    I've already had experience playing some mobile games with microtransactions like Kingdom Hearts. Considering how greedy Square-Enix got with that game, charging absolutely absurd amounts of money for practically gambling (RNG), I don't even want to be able to imagine what EA would produce. I was already so frustrated with how overpriced everything was in The Sims 3 and how the Store was also there and is STILL all super expensive even to this day, almost five years after the end of The Sims 3.

With The Sims 3, at least when I paid money I knew what I was getting, and there was a set amount of money that was reasonable to pay (that sounds ridiculous considering how much TS3 costs in full, but people have spent THOUSANDS of dollars just to get a single medal in Kingdom Hearts. If you all are not familiar with mobile games, they make even TS3 look saintly. In a mobile The Sims game, the equivalent would be spending that for a single interactive item you want). The trend with mobile games now is RNG pulls. Even Animal Crossing mobile, another simulator, is getting in on this nightmare. Microtransactions, they call them. But a single RNG pull in the KH mobile game costs as much as ordering and getting a large pizza delivered from Pizza Hut.

This model is where gaming will die. At least in my eyes.
    OO2UdmJ.png
  • Options
    DragonAge_300905DragonAge_300905 Posts: 1,944 Member
    I will never download a mobile sims game. Single player on pc is what I want from a sims game or any game. I didn't use the sims 3 online with showtime and I'm not interested in online play, mobile or any other online play.
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    Erpe wrote: »
    I agree that there is more to it than what I wrote above. Using a PC usually won’t affect your eyes. Reading a book likely also won’t if you keep a good distance between your eyes and the book. But exactly that was my problem already when I was a teen because reading a small book and keeping it at least 30 cm away from your eyes wasn’t very comfortable. Therefore I kept it closer which meant that I became nearsighted at one of my eyes already when I was about 18 yrs old. I got glasses to correct that. But the effect was that I very soon became nearsighted at my other eye too.

I had friends who worked instead of reading and studying and they very often became farsighted instead in a very young age. But none of us students became farsighted. But very often nearsighted.

I guess that using phones or tablets to read digital books or to play games has the same problem. But who want to hold a phone at least 30 cm away all the time?

Genetics often plays a factor -- somehow I was born nearsighted in one eye and farsighted in the other, so I've been wearing glasses since elementary school (which was well before the age of personal computers and smart phones). And tablet technology has helped people enjoy reading -- instead of having to try and find large-print editions of books, you can read on a tablet and adjust the font size to where it's comfortable. The amount of backlight in conjunction with normal light also can be adjusted and that can help as well. If either of your parents wore glasses you're more likely to need glasses as you age.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    Erpe wrote: »

Genetics often plays a factor -- somehow I was born nearsighted in one eye and farsighted in the other, so I've been wearing glasses since elementary school (which was well before the age of personal computers and smart phones). And tablet technology has helped people enjoy reading -- instead of having to try and find large-print editions of books, you can read on a tablet and adjust the font size to where it's comfortable. The amount of backlight in conjunction with normal light also can be adjusted and that can help as well. If either of your parents wore glasses you're more likely to need glasses as you age.
    My parents never wore glasses except when they became elders and needed glasses for reading.

As I wrote I didn’t need glasses before I was 18 years old in highschool and became nearsighted on my left eye. My ophthalmologist didn’t even think that I needed glasses because I only was nearsighted on one eye. But the problem was that I used my left eye for reading and my right eye to see things farther away. So my eyes didn’t cooperate and my right eye would likely soon become farsighted. This gave me headache and I wanted my eyes to cooperate again. So I went to an optician who agreed with me and gave me glasses and this worked after some time.

This was before before personal computers and smartphones too.
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    alexandrea wrote: »
    Perhaps the most funny thing about the Sims community is that we all love interacting with each other online, yet we hate the idea of playing with each other.

That being said, I don't mind online play with limitations put in place. But a full-on mobile game??? Idk, I'll probably pass. I'm sad if this is the end, but my bank account is happy. *shrug* Things were getting too weird anyways...

Online play was never really something that players where used to so it never created that idea that Simmers should 'play together' so apart from some early success of The Sims Online around 2001/2002 it was never developed further. The same went with Sim City and after the outrage of SC 2013 going online was seen as a negative idea. Considering a lot of players blamed TS4's shortcomings on being recycled from Olympus that would further weaken any support for an online Sims game in the future.

I sometimes wonder -- if they'd introduced the "sandbox" mode at the same time as the full online mode, would SimCity have suffered so much ire? I picked it up on sale a while back with the offline "sandbox" mode and it's not that bad -- a bit simplistic and nothing near what you get with something like Cities: Skylines, but still not that bad.

I think a combination of the SimCity disaster plus the poor reaction to the Simport feature in Showtime probably kept Sims 4 from being a completely online system. And when you look at the limitations of Sims Mobile in terms of creativity it's hard to imagine The Sims turning into a completely mobile experience. But who knows what lies ahead for the gaming future?
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)