Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

If The Sims is only going to be a mobile game in the future then I am gone

12345679...Next

Comments

• Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    CoteDAzur wrote: »
    Brei714 wrote: »
    I know it made sense to go from disks to online. But for those of us with slow internet who don't have other options and don't want to have to download every game we play? Its not really fair. I think there should be options rather than just forcing people to do it one way. I bought Fallout 4 the day it came out, I got to play it over a week later because I was forced to download the whole game online off Steam. Around 24GBS at roughly 30kbs a second tops. It was painful. I was so mad I never really got into the game because I felt like I had been tricked, see I bought a disk but all it did was direct me to Steam. The game wasn't actually on the disk. It feels like we are being forced to go digital and that's part of why its so unappealing to me. I'm paying these people for a service and they are telling me what to do and forcing me into it? Doesn't that seem a bit...off?

Requiring an internet connection for a single player game should be optional just like the choice to buy disks verses downloading online. I'm not saying one should be favored over the other I'm saying we the consumers deserve choices. I respect those that like the online service, and if you have the internet speed to do it more power to you. Me? I don't and I want a physical copy of the disks so that when my internet crashes I can still play my games.

I hope mobile games won't try and replace those on PC, I don't really think they can even if the attempt is made. They are two totally different things.

Most gamer's tend to be equipped with good internet and a gaming PC however. So they're giving an easy route for the majority, rather than backtracking developement to cater to the minority who aren't geared for downloading games online on the new platforms. It's not a trick, It's just technology evolution, and digital is always going to win that war because it's streamlined and way more convenient. Physical copies are a cosmetic item these days.

I don't see it as they;re trying to 'force' you, there's just a priority - For companies to continue producing standard physical copies for the minority of people that would rather use them would cost them massively, and with no profit. The only real market for this is limited editions.

Digital means you actually do not own the game. That is why I loved an ENTIRELY OFFLINE experience. So technically, everyone only rents games that they download digitally. I actually only purchase physical copies in an effort to completely own all my games, but requiring any online connection still means it is a rental.

Actually we never owned the games we bought . Simply go back and read the user agreement you agreed to when putting a disk game into your pc - when you wrote in the code - and checked I agree - if you actually read the pages of what you were agreeing to - you would see that even having the disk, and using the disk while playing, and even registering the game in your name still did not buy you ownerships in any way - all it did is allowing you to "USE" the game period. In fact we pretty much haven't ever "OWNED" our games - you were just fooled into believing you did when all you was doing was owning a right to use said game.

Even all the way back to floppy disks - we really did not own those games either according to law, we owned the floppies not the game on it.

According to video game laws and lawyers -" when players buy a boxed game, they OWN the DVD, CD, Game Cartridge, or Floppy Disks" BUT only have a license for the software on it. “A ‘license’,” Attorney Purewal explains, “is essentially a limited personal right to use the software on certain terms and conditions – it doesn’t give you the right to e.g. sell/transfer/copy/reproduce the software.” This has been a fact since video game copy-writes have existed.

These same laws apply for all forms of copyrighted entertainment - from movies, to books, to even music - you do not technically own any of it and never did -unless you are it's original creator or bought a right from them.
    I suppose what people mean is that they will always be able to play those games. Which indeed doesn’t mean on newer systems per se, there is no guarantee you will always be able to play it on any equipment, but the game itself can’t be taken away from them. Though I’m wondering in what way that will apply to patches. In any case, there seems to be a difference between the way it was and the way it is now.

That's why you don't move on to Windows 10. ;) Or at least keep an older system that can play the games you love, it's not that hard to turn a chair around (swivel) and load one pc to the next pc. Sort of like how the Curious Brothers had all those different screens in their house. Just swivel around to load what ever system you need. :D
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited May 2018
    Cinebar wrote: »
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    CoteDAzur wrote: »
    Brei714 wrote: »
    I know it made sense to go from disks to online. But for those of us with slow internet who don't have other options and don't want to have to download every game we play? Its not really fair. I think there should be options rather than just forcing people to do it one way. I bought Fallout 4 the day it came out, I got to play it over a week later because I was forced to download the whole game online off Steam. Around 24GBS at roughly 30kbs a second tops. It was painful. I was so mad I never really got into the game because I felt like I had been tricked, see I bought a disk but all it did was direct me to Steam. The game wasn't actually on the disk. It feels like we are being forced to go digital and that's part of why its so unappealing to me. I'm paying these people for a service and they are telling me what to do and forcing me into it? Doesn't that seem a bit...off?

Requiring an internet connection for a single player game should be optional just like the choice to buy disks verses downloading online. I'm not saying one should be favored over the other I'm saying we the consumers deserve choices. I respect those that like the online service, and if you have the internet speed to do it more power to you. Me? I don't and I want a physical copy of the disks so that when my internet crashes I can still play my games.

I hope mobile games won't try and replace those on PC, I don't really think they can even if the attempt is made. They are two totally different things.

Most gamer's tend to be equipped with good internet and a gaming PC however. So they're giving an easy route for the majority, rather than backtracking developement to cater to the minority who aren't geared for downloading games online on the new platforms. It's not a trick, It's just technology evolution, and digital is always going to win that war because it's streamlined and way more convenient. Physical copies are a cosmetic item these days.

I don't see it as they;re trying to 'force' you, there's just a priority - For companies to continue producing standard physical copies for the minority of people that would rather use them would cost them massively, and with no profit. The only real market for this is limited editions.

Digital means you actually do not own the game. That is why I loved an ENTIRELY OFFLINE experience. So technically, everyone only rents games that they download digitally. I actually only purchase physical copies in an effort to completely own all my games, but requiring any online connection still means it is a rental.

Actually we never owned the games we bought . Simply go back and read the user agreement you agreed to when putting a disk game into your pc - when you wrote in the code - and checked I agree - if you actually read the pages of what you were agreeing to - you would see that even having the disk, and using the disk while playing, and even registering the game in your name still did not buy you ownerships in any way - all it did is allowing you to "USE" the game period. In fact we pretty much haven't ever "OWNED" our games - you were just fooled into believing you did when all you was doing was owning a right to use said game.

Even all the way back to floppy disks - we really did not own those games either according to law, we owned the floppies not the game on it.

According to video game laws and lawyers -" when players buy a boxed game, they OWN the DVD, CD, Game Cartridge, or Floppy Disks" BUT only have a license for the software on it. “A ‘license’,” Attorney Purewal explains, “is essentially a limited personal right to use the software on certain terms and conditions – it doesn’t give you the right to e.g. sell/transfer/copy/reproduce the software.” This has been a fact since video game copy-writes have existed.

These same laws apply for all forms of copyrighted entertainment - from movies, to books, to even music - you do not technically own any of it and never did -unless you are it's original creator or bought a right from them.
    I suppose what people mean is that they will always be able to play those games. Which indeed doesn’t mean on newer systems per se, there is no guarantee you will always be able to play it on any equipment, but the game itself can’t be taken away from them. Though I’m wondering in what way that will apply to patches. In any case, there seems to be a difference between the way it was and the way it is now.

That's why you don't move on to Windows 10. ;) Or at least keep an older system that can play the games you love, it's not that hard to turn a chair around (swivel) and load one pc to the next pc. Sort of like how the Curious Brothers had all those different screens in their house. Just swivel around to load what ever system you need. :D
    Actually I do have Windows 10 ;) I can still play both Sims 2 and 3 fortunately (though for 2 I had to go through some trouble first). I know simmers who indeed kept their old pc to be able to play Sims 1.
    5JZ57S6.png