Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

If The Sims is only going to be a mobile game in the future then I am gone

Comments

• stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    Brei714 wrote: »
    I am a long time PC gamer. I don't play on consoles and could never get into phone apps. PC is how I play and it has been since the days where you could get an actual physical copy of the Sims games in disk form. I started with Sims 1 when I was nine and have played every game since then.

However I am afraid that EA may push the transition to mobile just like they have slowly forced us away from disks to Origin. I don't want mobile games, I want more control over my sims not less. I want more storytelling options not less. I think the whole Sims 4 system should be scraped and buried and they should draw from the best parts of 2 and 3 if they make Sims 5. I hope they don't drop the PC version. Part of me doesn't think they will because they can make money off different styles of players that way. But my inner pessimist thinks they might just try and move the PC players over to mobile. And if so, I won't go.

Disks to online made sense -- you can look at the popularity of games on the Steam platform with no disks required. No disks mean reduced production costs (no printing/shipping), not having to worry about something released early due to human error (some store clerk leading out copies to their friends, etc.), and no worries about a disk being corrupted (broken/scratched) making the game unplayable for the player until they acquire another copy. For the player it's more convenient to download a game at home rather than have to drive to a store.

I think that PC, console and mobile can coexist just fine, and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • StormsviewStormsview Posts: 2,603 Member
    I am a long time PC gamer. I don't play on consoles and could never get into phone apps. PC is how I play and it has been since the days where you could get an actual physical copy of the Sims games in disk form. I started with Sims 1 when I was nine and have played every game since then.

However I am afraid that EA may push the transition to mobile just like they have slowly forced us away from disks to Origin. I don't want mobile games, I want more control over my sims not less. I want more storytelling options not less. I think the whole Sims 4 system should be scraped and buried and they should draw from the best parts of 2 and 3 if they make Sims 5. I hope they don't drop the PC version. Part of me doesn't think they will because they can make money off different styles of players that way. But my inner pessimist thinks they might just try and move the PC players over to mobile. And if so, I won't go.

Disks to online made sense -- you can look at the popularity of games on the Steam platform with no disks required. No disks mean reduced production costs (no printing/shipping), not having to worry about something released early due to human error (some store clerk leading out copies to their friends, etc.), and no worries about a disk being corrupted (broken/scratched) making the game unplayable for the player until they acquire another copy. For the player it's more convenient to download a game at home rather than have to drive to a store.

I think that PC, console and mobile can coexist just fine, and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future.

Totally agree with your post. We have nothing to fear but fear itself :|
    we'll give you a full refund. Just make sure you make your request within 24 hours after you first launch the game, within seven days from your date of purchase, or within seven days from the game's release date if you pre-ordered, whichever comes first.
    Who said EA doesn't have a sense of humor
  • ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member

I completely agree. But it isn’t just about printing&shipping because EA also doesn’t want to share our money with physical stores, Amazon or Steam and they won’t sell EA’s games without keeping a big part of our money for themselves. Therefore EA has made Origin mainly to avoid those expenses and thus make EA’s games more profitable for EA. Beside that Origin means that EA can advertise for free on Origin about all EA’s games and not pay other companies so much money to do the advertising.

So Origin has come to stay and so has other similar services like Uplay and Steam. Games won’t be sold in physical stores or on discs again even though this gives especially children the problem that many parents won’t accept wishes about games for Christmas or birthdays anymore because the parents want to give physical packs instead of downloads as presents.

The game companies don’t mind if we want to play on mobile, PCs or consoles. As long as they have customers for all platforms they of course also will make games for all platforms. This is done most cheaply by just transferring the games like EA did with TS4 for consoles and older games like Baldur’s Gate has now in the same way been transferred to mobile devices too. There will of course be much more of this in the future even though it also is problematic because we don’t actually play in the same way on all platforms. Some games are most suitable for consoles. Other games are most suitable for PCs and still other games are most suitable for mobile devices. The game companies know this and they therefore also have experienced that the same game usually doesn’t sell equally well on all platforms.

But we have nothing to fear: the game companies will certainly continue to make games for all platforms and the main platform for Sims games will still be Windows and Macintosh PCs even though EA of course also will continue to experiment with Sims games on the other platforms. For consoles it seems that EA now just will make unchanged versions of the Sims games for PCs. Thus far hasn’t EA yet come about the Sims games for mobile devices. Maybe EA will at some point in the future? But the problem also is that mobile devices are mainly suitable for games that can be played only in short breaks down to about 5 minutes each time. Therefore I don’t think that big PC games ever really will be so popular on mobile devices as they have been on the PCs.
  • Brei714Brei714 Posts: 110 Member
    I know it made sense to go from disks to online. But for those of us with slow internet who don't have other options and don't want to have to download every game we play? Its not really fair. I think there should be options rather than just forcing people to do it one way. I bought Fallout 4 the day it came out, I got to play it over a week later because I was forced to download the whole game online off Steam. Around 24GBS at roughly 30kbs a second tops. It was painful. I was so mad I never really got into the game because I felt like I had been tricked, see I bought a disk but all it did was direct me to Steam. The game wasn't actually on the disk. It feels like we are being forced to go digital and that's part of why its so unappealing to me. I'm paying these people for a service and they are telling me what to do and forcing me into it? Doesn't that seem a bit...off?

Requiring an internet connection for a single player game should be optional just like the choice to buy disks verses downloading online. I'm not saying one should be favored over the other I'm saying we the consumers deserve choices. I respect those that like the online service, and if you have the internet speed to do it more power to you. Me? I don't and I want a physical copy of the disks so that when my internet crashes I can still play my games.

I hope mobile games won't try and replace those on PC, I don't really think they can even if the attempt is made. They are two totally different things.
  • ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    edited May 2018
    I know it made sense to go from disks to online. But for those of us with slow internet who don't have other options and don't want to have to download every game we play? Its not really fair. I think there should be options rather than just forcing people to do it one way. I bought Fallout 4 the day it came out, I got to play it over a week later because I was forced to download the whole game online off Steam. Around 24GBS at roughly 30kbs a second tops. It was painful. I was so mad I never really got into the game because I felt like I had been tricked, see I bought a disk but all it did was direct me to Steam. The game wasn't actually on the disk. It feels like we are being forced to go digital and that's part of why its so unappealing to me. I'm paying these people for a service and they are telling me what to do and forcing me into it? Doesn't that seem a bit...off?

Requiring an internet connection for a single player game should be optional just like the choice to buy disks verses downloading online. I'm not saying one should be favored over the other I'm saying we the consumers deserve choices. I respect those that like the online service, and if you have the internet speed to do it more power to you. Me? I don't and I want a physical copy of the disks so that when my internet crashes I can still play my games.

I hope mobile games won't try and replace those on PC, I don't really think they can even if the attempt is made. They are two totally different things.
    I don’t know where you live. But there are now several internet providers who advertise about fast internet everywhere via satellite. So if this really isn’t an option for you yet then it should be soon anyway and it is the way to solve the problem that you describe. Fast internet should be available everywhere even if you live far away from the big cities.
  • CalebFillionCalebFillion Posts: 293 Member
    I hadn't heard that but then I do not keep up with those things...I rely on the lovely folks here. If EA is really that stupid then they will lose more than half of their loyal customers. Did they not learn with the sims 4 when they brought that dog out? I say dog because it soon went on sale for less than half price it was so bad. Yes, I bought it and played it for about a day and then tucked it away and went back to sims 3. Now though I have been enjoying it and am hoping that THIS time they are smart enough to realise what we want and how we want it and moblie phones are NOT what we simmers want. That is .... yeah. So I hope that someone from Maxis or Ea or origin reads this thread and reassures us with truth that they are NOT royally sticking it to us ... again by going strictly mobile.
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited May 2018
    I hadn't heard that but then I do not keep up with those things...I rely on the lovely folks here. If EA is really that stupid then they will lose more than half of their loyal customers. Did they not learn with the sims 4 when they brought that dog out? I say dog because it soon went on sale for less than half price it was so bad. Yes, I bought it and played it for about a day and then tucked it away and went back to sims 3. Now though I have been enjoying it and am hoping that THIS time they are smart enough to realise what we want and how we want it and moblie phones are NOT what we simmers want. That is .... yeah. So I hope that someone from Maxis or Ea or origin reads this thread and reassures us with truth that they are NOT royally sticking it to us ... again by going strictly mobile.

Look in General - there was a post from Graham last night.

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/939298/a-quick-simguru-update#latest

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• doogeriedoogerie Posts: 765 Member
    ashcrash19 wrote: »
    I have The Sims Mobile but don't play it much. I'm not into the idea of mobile games having micro-transactions. That's why I've always loved the Sims series---I pay once and do whatever I want.

Very upset to hear gurus and staff have been laid off. I have a lot of feelings on this, but I'm too upset to share them right now.

See this is why I think we are getting Sims 5 a new dev team fresh blood think about it I don’t think the Sims PC will go for a while yet people don’t really like the EA mobile games as they feel that they are too expensive if EA got rid of the sims PC they would cut of a major source of income for them.
  • garapoesgarapoes Posts: 422 Member
    BeJaWa wrote: »
    garapoes wrote: »
    Why do people think that Sims 4 will be the last game? Where are your sources?
    No sources just speculation on recent events.

So all this drama on a bunch of rumors. Lol 🐸🐸🐸🐸. Sims will never end on PC.
    English is not my first language so sorry if I make any mistakes!
  • davina1221davina1221 Posts: 3,656 Member
    edited May 2018
    Tried the freeplay for 15mins and I'm not into leveling up, nor did it give me the feeling that lured me to the Sims in the first place. Teeny little screen doesn't make it seem like a world at all. I bought S4 even though I wanted open worlds/hoods, but I stop at the point of my phone. I wouldn't buy it any way except PC.
  • DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    edited May 2018
    Didn't I remember he, English LifeSimmer, showing being excited about some stickers and some clothing that was shipped by EA before enticing what this "Great news to us" is all about? I don't see how's that great news to the viewers. It's like hyping your pals that she "Hey guys. I'm ordering a pizza. Anyone hungry?" before you rush to the cardbox after its delivery arrived just to find it empty, realizing she took it all her for herself.". She does have an ego over regarding the concern of own youtube channel and let EA know she's still loyal to them while kissing their 🐸🐸🐸🐸.
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • gamekittengamekitten Posts: 2,606 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »

Look in General - there was a post from Graham last night.

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/939298/a-quick-simguru-update#latest

The problem with that thread is... How elusive.. not quite telling the truth.. its too hard.. and their silence when they are hiding things have shown me as a simmer.. not to take their word as gospel when they discuss Sims 4.. and this has been right from the start of news or anything stated about Sims 4 from Devs, EA, and CMs..

They broke trust time and again... And the condition of the game and the lack of the game...

Am I suppose to just forget how many times I was disappointed.. how I was treated as a customer.. and that silence that always led to something not said or glossed over just hide something not so good?

I tried their mobile games... it is more greedy than a F2P game I am now playing with a Cash Shop.. So, no I would not play any of EA's mobile games and that link I would trust like I would trust a rattlesnake not to bite me if I stepped to close to it while it was shedding..
  • CoteDAzurCoteDAzur Posts: 610 Member
    Are we all aware of how much profit the company would lose if they stopped producing Sims on console/PC? The company would kick the bucket. Not worth consideration.
  • GelysenGelysen Posts: 214 Member
    And with you a lot of other people. I don't fear this game ever just being mobile only. They'd pretty much kill their own franchise if they did.
    My sims 4 wishlist:
    -Spiral, L&U shaped stairs-More hair colors-Alternative fashion(Goth,Punk,lolita)-More rabbit hole careers-Witches,Plantsims,Werewolves.
  • CoteDAzurCoteDAzur Posts: 610 Member
    edited May 2018

Most gamer's tend to be equipped with good internet and a gaming PC however. So they're giving an easy route for the majority, rather than backtracking developement to cater to the minority who aren't geared for downloading games online on the new platforms. It's not a trick, It's just technology evolution, and digital is always going to win that war because it's streamlined and way more convenient. Physical copies are a cosmetic item these days.

I don't see it as they;re trying to 'force' you, there's just a priority - For companies to continue producing standard physical copies for the minority of people that would rather use them would cost them massively, and with no profit. The only real market for this is limited editions.
  • NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    edited May 2018
    CoteDAzur wrote: »

Most gamer's tend to be equipped with good internet and a gaming PC however. So they're giving an easy route for the majority, rather than backtracking developement to cater to the minority who aren't geared for downloading games online on the new platforms. It's not a trick, It's just technology evolution, and digital is always going to win that war because it's streamlined and way more convenient. Physical copies are a cosmetic item these days.

I don't see it as they;re trying to 'force' you, there's just a priority - For companies to continue producing standard physical copies for the minority of people that would rather use them would cost them massively, and with no profit. The only real market for this is limited editions.

Digital means you actually do not own the game. That is why I loved an ENTIRELY OFFLINE experience. So technically, everyone only rents games that they download digitally. I actually only purchase physical copies in an effort to completely own all my games, but requiring any online connection still means it is a rental.
    edited May 2018

Digital means you actually do not own the game. That is why I loved an ENTIRELY OFFLINE experience. So technically, everyone only rents games that they download digitally. I actually only purchase physical copies in an effort to completely own all my games, but requiring any online connection still means it is a rental.

Actually we never owned the games we bought . Simply go back and read the user agreement you agreed to when putting a disk game into your pc - when you wrote in the code - and checked I agree - if you actually read the pages of what you were agreeing to - you would see that even having the disk, and using the disk while playing, and even registering the game in your name still did not buy you ownerships in any way - all it did is allowing you to "USE" the game period. In fact we pretty much haven't ever "OWNED" our games - you were just fooled into believing you did when all you was doing was owning a right to use said game.

Even all the way back to floppy disks - we really did not own those games either according to law, we owned the floppies not the game on it.

According to video game laws and lawyers -" when players buy a boxed game, they OWN the DVD, CD, Game Cartridge, or Floppy Disks" BUT only have a license for the software on it. “A ‘license’,” Attorney Purewal explains, “is essentially a limited personal right to use the software on certain terms and conditions – it doesn’t give you the right to e.g. sell/transfer/copy/reproduce the software.” This has been a fact since video game copy-writes have existed.

These same laws apply for all forms of copyrighted entertainment - from movies, to books, to even music - you do not technically own any of it and never did -unless you are it's original creator or bought a right from them.
    Post edited by Writin_Reg on

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,552 Member
    I have to say I'm right there with you. I wasn't going to purchase Sims4 because initially it was going to be an online game. I don't want that. If I did, I'd go back to paying for and playing WoW, for instance. I had a number of bad experiences playing with 'strangers' online. (My character, minding her own business for the most part, kept getting killed, because some players get an odd glee out of it.) I don't like that format at all. I also steer clear of the games on facebook. Suffice it to say, I don't like being beholden to others, to play when and only when they can, or to feel obligated to 'help' them with their game when I either don't have the time, or am not in the mood to play. Why on Earth would I go for a mobile game? Screen is way too small — I'm NOT made of money to keep paying for the privilege of having a mobile game. For the same reasons, I don't stream either, even though my cable company now provides the platform. If you go over your monthly alloted whatevers for streaming, you get dinged on your bill. :open_mouth:

So, if this is where EA is headed with a franchise that was their cash cow, then I won't buy the Sims in the future. As was stated by the OP, computers and technology has really advanced since the Sims landed on the scene. I would very much like EA to keep it as a pc game, too, and continue to explore what can and should be done with it. We're just now offered 64 bit, for instance. Are they never going to explore the possibility of varying height, either?
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • ApparentlyAwesomeApparentlyAwesome Posts: 1,523 Member

Actually we never owned the games we bought . Simply go back and read the user agreement you agreed to when putting a disk game into your pc - when you wrote in the code - and checked I agree - if you actually read the pages of what you were agreeing to - you would see that even having the disk, and using the disk while playing, and even registering the game in your name still did not buy you ownerships in any way - all it did is allowing you to "USE" the game period. In fact we pretty much haven't ever "OWNED" our games - you were just fooled into believing you did when all you was doing was owning a right to use said game.

Even all the way back to floppy disks - we really did not own those games either according to law, we owned the floppies not the game on it.

According to video game laws and lawyers -" when players buy a boxed game, they OWN the DVD, CD, Game Cartridge, or Floppy Disks" BUT only have a license for the software on it. “A ‘license’,” Attorney Purewal explains, “is essentially a limited personal right to use the software on certain terms and conditions – it doesn’t give you the right to e.g. sell/transfer/copy/reproduce the software.” This has been a fact since video game copy-writes have existed.

These same laws apply for all forms of copyrighted entertainment - from movies, to books, to even music - you do not technically own any of it and never did -unless you are it's original creator or bought a right from them.

What it is for me personally is that with physical copies of whatever it can't be taken away. We can go over to wherever we keep them, slip them in our computers, load them up or install them and play to our hearts content with the added bonus of not needing to be online. With digital it isn't always that simple, especially if for some reason the provoke your privilege to play the game you paid money for.

We hold more "ownership" with physical copies. They can ban me on Origin and stop me from accessing TS3 or TS2 online but they aren't going to physically come to my house and take the disc. That's one of the main reasons I buy physical copies.

I remember when someone famous tried to leave their child their Apple music collection in their will only to discover they don't actually "own" the singles and albums. I just buy physical copies and back them up and some artist now are making it where if you buy the physical copies of their albums you automatically get it digitally.

You're right, we don't "own" anything, they're sharing their creations with us under certain guidelines. I view it more as we players have purchased the right to play if we follow certain rules, but there's less they can do about physical copies than digital unless we break specific rules and even then a physical copy is probably still in our reach. And if for whatever reason they stop supporting it and what I paid for is suddenly gone at least I still have physical copies so I can keep playing. Online/digital may be the way things are going and I accept that, but it's not always best for the consumer.
    KqGXVAC.jpg
    Well keeping a system to play them on - good luck with that. I have trunks of old games that will not play - so all they do is take up space.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• FallenPrinceFallenPrince Posts: 928 Member
    edited May 2018
    I am with you. I cannot stand mobile games. They used to be a bit different when I was small.
  • DecafHighDecafHigh Posts: 669 Member
    Gelysen wrote: »
    And with you a lot of other people. I don't fear this game ever just being mobile only. They'd pretty much kill their own franchise if they did.

And we all know EA has never managed to kill off a hugely popular franchise before. Am I right? :D
    gamekitten wrote: »
    The problem with that thread is... How elusive.. not quite telling the truth.. its too hard.. and their silence when they are hiding things have shown me as a simmer.. not to take their word as gospel when they discuss Sims 4.. and this has been right from the start of news or anything stated about Sims 4 from Devs, EA, and CMs..

If there is one thing I've learned since TS4 launched it is whatever the "bad rumor" about the game is the reality is going to end up being much worse. The guru spin around every issue has been terrible too, to the point I frankly just don't trust a word they say anymore. So all these "reassurances" we have been getting lately actually make me more certain The Sims in on a really bad trajectory at the moment. Is it headed toward an all mobile future or even no future at all? Who knows, but my hopes aren't terribly high.

I've pretty much written off TS4 at this point and the likelihood of TS5 has never looked bleaker. Would love to see something from them to prove me wrong, but I don't think I'll be holding my breath.

• alexandreaalexandrea Posts: 2,432 Member
    How many times does The Sims team have to say that this is not the case before you guys actually believe them? Stop feeding into this 🐸🐸🐸🐸.
    p6tqefj
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited May 2018

I suppose what people mean is that they will always be able to play those games. Which indeed doesn’t mean on newer systems per se, there is no guarantee you will always be able to play it on any equipment, but the game itself can’t be taken away from them. Though I’m wondering in what way that will apply to patches. In any case, there seems to be a difference between the way it was and the way it is now.
    5JZ57S6.png