Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Lack of matching stuff in build mode

Building in this game is turning into a chore for me because I keep coming across the same problems. Sometimes I find a door and a window that look like they were made to be used in combination, then I place them side by side just to discover that they have different colours or heights.

Also, I miss from TS2 the ability to freely combine the various colour options for bicoloured items. It's so frustrating when the only bed that goes with the rest of the furniture in the room can't have a frame of the same colour because the accompanying sheet colours don't match the style of the sim you want to sleep in it, and in turn the sheet colour you want for that sim comes with a totally unfitting frame colour.

Is really no one else experiencing these problems? Because I never read about it anywhere, it's like I'm the only simmer too dumb to build a decent-looking house, so if there's a trick I don't know about, please tell me.

Comments

• Options
    AmandèleAmandèle Posts: 378 Member
    You definitely are not the only one! I end up using the same combinations of furniture in every house or I mismatch it on purpose. I recently downloaded a set of bedframes separated from matresses so I could avoid this problem. It's annoying though because I had sworn I would not dowload any cc furniture... :/
    Sorry for the mistakes, English is not my first language ^^'
  • Options
    SucomSucom Posts: 1,709 Member
    No, you are definitely not alone. One of my biggest turn offs in Sims 4 is the problem of trying to make interiors match up and as a result began to keep choosing the same stuff time and time again, which eventually became far too boring. I no longer enjoy decorating houses which is why I've stopped playing Sims 4. It became far too frustrating (and time consuming) searching endlessly for things to match up.
  • Options
    GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,208 Member
    I know what the two of you mean about always reusing the same stuff. Most of my homes, and even most public lots tend to look pretty much the same for this very reason. Sometimes, when I look at a premade or downloaded lot, I'm surprised at how many items there are that I've never used or even seen, that's how unwilling I am to step out of my comfort zone and look for new combinations. I've tried that more often recently, but, as expected, always ended up spending way more time building than I would have liked.

Of course, I'm not such a perfectionist about this in real life. Not everything in my real home has exactly the same colour or the same style, nor does the stuff in my office and pretty much every other place I go, but it's just so much more noticeable when you're looking at an entire room from above on a screen rather than being in it for real, and then I can't ignore it.
  • Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,233 Member
    edited April 2018
    It's one of the major weakness of The Sims 4

A lot of Stuff Pack but nothing is matching together. There is only one way to use the stuff, the Maxis' way.
    There is no space for creativity.
  • Options
    AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    I love building and this drives me nuts! You are not alone.
    Same goes for the wall sizes and windows and doors combos. Sometimes they'll add similar styled windows for all the different wall heights, sometimes they just don't. It's really annoying to make a second floor with lower walls and make it look nice from the outside.
    Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    My other problem is the windows and the curtains.

The most of time the size doesn't match, too high, too low, too long, too short, too large, too narrow, too deep, not enough deep
  • Options
    ehaught58ehaught58 Posts: 2,765 Member
    Also, the problem with how changes in lighting affect the color of objects. What matches in daylight ends up being completely different shades and colors at night.
    fkgck4xkargo.png
    "If you build it, they will come." - Movie: Field of Dreams
  • Options
    My other problem is the windows and the curtains.

The most of time the size doesn't match, too high, too low, too long, too short, too large, too narrow, too deep, not enough deep

Yes! It is very frustrating.
  • Options
    PastelMermaidPastelMermaid Posts: 1,298 Member
    ehaught58 wrote: »
    Also, the problem with how changes in lighting affect the color of objects. What matches in daylight ends up being completely different shades and colors at night.

I only really find that if my lights aren't set to neutral white, sometimes they can be set as a warmish yellow which can change how the colours appear
    tumblr_nvqukkenkr1udwsc5o7_250.gif

"wahoo" - aquaman
  • Options
    I also notice every time I try and do a kitchen sometimes the counters don't have matching cupboard counterparts

"wahoo" - aquaman
  • Options
    mcorralmcorral Posts: 512 Member
    I feel the same. Curtains and windows are difficult to match. For example, what seems black is dark brown and does not match with other objects.

Beds are a headache. I only like one bed and I had to plan the colour of the bedroom according to the colour of the sheets available.

You are not alone.
  • Options
    mcorral wrote: »
    I feel the same. Curtains and windows are difficult to match. For example, what seems black is dark brown and does not match with other objects.

Beds are a headache. I only like one bed and I had to plan the colour of the bedroom according to the colour of the sheets available.

You are not alone.

do you also find that some of the "black" items actually are dark brown?

"wahoo" - aquaman
  • Options
    VriyayaVriyaya Posts: 32 Member
    Agreed. There is nothing more frustrating than this. Especially when two items have a very similar color palette but the colors dont match up properly
  • Options
    MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    Omg I've been having this problem for months I just didn't know how to word it!

I Hate that there's no matching door for the window that came in Romantic Garden Stuff

I'm in need of a very grand french door in nearly all my builds.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • Options
    And so many fences don't have matching fence doors!
  • Options
    And so many fences don't have matching fence doors!

This also drives me mad!!! or all the double gates being super tall

"wahoo" - aquaman
  • Options
    EA_MageEA_Mage Posts: 1,354 EA Staff (retired)
    Hi all,

I have removed a few comments from this discussion as they were derailing the thread.

Thanks for understanding.
    -Mage
  • Options
    ManakoHimeManakoHime Posts: 285 Member
    You are not the only one! This has made me hate building with a passion lately. What I wouldn't give to have the colour wheel back just so I can make things match how I like them and not this chaos. *cries*
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    It's also very difficult to get black doors and windows and Grey is never twice the same grey level.

The base colors for all of them should be black, white and wood at least.

• Options

You are not alone.

Indeed. I tried to make an apartment all designed in black and white. I realized that many of the objects that seemed black are dark brown. So, yes, it's a headache.
  • Options

You are not alone.

Indeed. I tried to make an apartment all designed in black and white. I realized that many of the objects that seemed black are dark brown. So, yes, it's a headache.

I'm glad I'm not the only one to question the dark dark browns as black, it can be quite infuriating but I bet if they had been black that would have looked incredible

"wahoo" - aquaman
  • Options
    Yesterday I was trying to create an outfit for work for a male sim. I found the suit I liked but the colours... Blue shirt and black suit? Who would mix those two colours in a suit? They don't match together at all in that way. Maybe... if the blue were very light or bright... but in my whole career I've never seen a man wearing those colours.
  • Options
    Yesterday I was trying to create an outfit for work for a male sim. I found the suit I liked but the colours... Blue shirt and black suit? Who would mix those two colours in a suit? They don't match together at all in that way. Maybe... if the blue were very light or bright... but in my whole career I've never seen a man wearing those colours.

seen as you mentioned it I feel that some of the "black" jeans don't actually look black... am I the only one?

"wahoo" - aquaman
  • Options
    haha. I can't tell you about it, I've always had a problem with very dark blue and black. I had a coat that some friends said it was dark blue and I'm still thinking it was black.
  • Options
    I end up using light blue jeans or grey ones because at least I know what colour they are

"wahoo" - aquaman