Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is sims 4 gong to run longer than the usual 5 years ?

Comments

• Options
    marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Goth583 wrote: »
    Honestly, I think they'll keep riding their cash cow until people stop spending money on it. I don't see how they could make another sims game, the franchise seemed to top out at TS3. TS3 was a very full game by this point, and TS4 is still severely lacking in terms of content that even came in the base games of TS2 and TS3. I think when we see TS5 roll out, it will actually not be TS5 but will be something based off the sims franchise. How many times are you really wanting to buy the same game over and over?

Yeah, some of TS3 is still selling at full price on Origin and not really discounted all that much. And the store is still going strong in selling content. It might be pulling in more than TS4. :o

The store does do worlds so much better.
    Even better than some of the packs.
    Always big worlds and quality/ fun content.
    The store probably helps towards this game
    Its very popular.

The sims 3 and packs.
    Of course there full price at origin.

The packs are cheaper elsewere.
    Always have been expensive at origin unless on sale.

Origin is the last place I would buy the sims 3 packs.

The store might be pulling in more than the whole of the sims 4?

Maybe.
    Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• Options
    BrindletonBrindleton Posts: 415 Member
    They announced that "Sims 4 isn't going anywhere" and that we just started the "second wave of Sims 4 packs" with Cats & Dogs so judging by that, Sims 4 has at least 2 more years to stick around.
  • Options
    aws200aws200 Posts: 2,262 Member
    Sims 4 is a Games As A Service just like Star Wars Battlefront 2 and every other EA owned title so far (A Way Out is not owned by EA). Its singleplayer because its one of the few IPs they have that could easily be milked through petty content packs and work. Sadly.
    Its not going anywhere. Sadly.
    1. The Sims 2
    2. The Sims 3
    3. The Sims 4 (5 years later its decent)
    4. The Sims 1
  • Options
    Brindleton wrote: »
    They announced that "Sims 4 isn't going anywhere" and that we just started the "second wave of Sims 4 packs" with Cats & Dogs so judging by that, Sims 4 has at least 2 more years to stick around.

Makes you wonder what they will bring. I mean that statement about pets being the last of the biggest packs.

• Options
    Simsfan99111Simsfan99111 Posts: 1,260 Member
    jimbbq wrote: »
    Do we know if sims 4 is going well (sales wise) compared to sims 3?

I assume so, you have the console version now too which all the packs are being re-released for.
  • Options
    Simsfan99111Simsfan99111 Posts: 1,260 Member
    edited March 2018
    marcel21 wrote: »
    Revenwyn wrote: »
    I heard that this is going to be the last Sims game.

The only time I heard that was with the guru who said that if the Sims 4 was not a hit there would be no Sims 5

I remember that. It makes sense. 4 for me is most likley going to be my last sims game unless it goes to a different studio. I mean no disrespect by that but the quirkiness that made the sims 1 and 2 what they were just isnt there any more and I feel like things just aren't as detailed as they were back in those days. Just my personal opinion. I mean hearing things like burglars being removed from the game to keep it clean, little things like that just really annoye me. The older titles were always a little cheeky and saucy and that's not there anymore either. Clearly the games target audience is alot younger now days.
    The franchise has become too watered down in comparison to previous titles and it seems to be all about the cash grab with EA. I can't afford it any more and this new lack of expansion packs thing that's going on with 4 is too frustrating. Not saying I'll never buy 5 but I won't rush out to get it like I have previously an I know that for a fact.
  • Options
    keylimepiesimskeylimepiesims Posts: 1,908 Member

The only time I heard that was with the guru who said that if the Sims 4 was not a hit there would be no Sims 5

I remember that. It makes sense. 4 for me is most likley going to be my last sims game unless it goes to a different studio. I mean no disrespect by that but the quirkiness that made the sims 1 and 2 what they were just isnt there any more and I feel like things just aren't as detailed as they were back in those days. Just my personal opinion. I mean hearing things like burglars being removed from the game to keep it clean, little things like that just really annoye me. The older titles were always a little cheeky and saucy and that's not there anymore either. Clearly the games target audience is alot younger now days.
    The franchise has become too watered down in comparison to previous titles and it seems to be all about the cash grab with EA. I can't afford it any more and this new lack of expansion packs thing that's going on with 4 is too frustrating. Not saying I'll never buy 5 but I won't rush out to get it like I have previously an I know that for a fact.

Couldn’t agree more. :cookie:
  • Options
    CheekybitsCheekybits Posts: 1,030 Member

Makes you wonder what they will bring. I mean that statement about pets being the last of the biggest packs.

They mean big as in the pack everyone wants to buy and on a technical stand point.
  • Options
    YubellYubell Posts: 440 Member
    edited March 2018
    Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that when the sims 4 came out EA stated that it was a tester of some sorts, something about testing out new technology so they can use it for something great in the future.

I'm pretty sure I heard them state something along the lines of that if they did it's make perfect sense to why the sims 4 has failed as bad as it has. It's a tester for the sims 5. I don't know I might be wrong.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Cheekybits wrote: »

They mean big as in the pack everyone wants to buy and on a technical stand point.

Hello :)
    I do know what they meant!

University and seasons must be the smallest and least wanted then?

To be honest I would have guessed at seasons being one of the biggest and most requested expansion packs.
    So reading that statement made me wonder

• Options
    ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    jimbbq wrote: »
    Do we know if sims 4 is going well (sales wise) compared to sims 3?

I assume so, you have the console version now too which all the packs are being re-released for.
    But Blind Squirrel Games is doing the work. See http://blindsquirrelentertainment.com I also doubt that EA ever would have done that version if Blind Squirrel Games hadn’t given EA an offer which just was too good for EA to refuse.

I doubt that TS4 is selling better than TS3. But that clearly wasn’t EA’s idea in making TS4 either because the idea instead seems to me to have been to make TS4 so very different from TS3 that EA still could sell TS3 to high prices too.

Apart from all that I agree though that TS4 must be selling very well even though I am sure that TS3 has sold even more copies because otherwise EA would almost certainly have cut down on the yearly number of released Sims 4 packs. But instead EA has doubled the number of yearly GPs from one to two.

EPs seem to give EA problems though and EA has even reduced their content even though their prices still are the same.
  • Options

To be honest I would have guessed at seasons being one of the biggest and most requested expansion packs.

Pets was always the biggest EP request. It’s true seasons is a big request but it’s harder to do a pet ep where everyone wants to add and personalize there cat and dog rather then to add 4 seasons and some activities.
  • Options
    LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    We may have just started on the 'second wave' now, but who's to say there won't be a third wave?
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • Options

Pets was always the biggest EP request. It’s true seasons is a big request but it’s harder to do a pet ep where everyone wants to add and personalize there cat and dog rather then to add 4 seasons and some activities.

OK
    The biggest request,really?
    Agree to disagree.
    Seasons is one of the most requested packs.
    I would say the same for pets.
    But your saying pets is the biggest.

• Options
    Loanet wrote: »
    We may have just started on the 'second wave' now, but who's to say there won't be a third wave?

The game is still so bare bones we could very well see a fourth wave or even more.

• Options
    jimbbqjimbbq Posts: 2,734 Member
    I prefer seasons to pets personally. But I would rather have new things than rehashing the same ideas over and over and over. Let season be in base game next time!
  • Options

OK
    Agree to disagree.

I’m not going by my own opinion, I’m going by what they have told us through out the years. If your right they seasons will beat cat and dog ep sale numbers I suppose.
  • Options
    edited March 2018

OK
    Agree to disagree.

I’m not going by my own opinion, I’m going by what they have told us through out the years. If your right they seasons will beat cat and dog ep sale numberyns and pets are two of the most requested expansion packs in each series.

I

OK
    Agree to disagree.

I’m not going by my own opinion, I’m going by what they have told us through out the years. If your right they seasons will beat cat and dog ep sale numbers I suppose.

And that's why people have been screaming for seasons since launch :(
    what EA feel is popular and what simmers feel is can be a whole other story.

I mean they love things like the talking toilet.

Agree to disagree.

Anyway like I said

I think both are popular requests.I don't feel pets is the biggest request, not when people are screaming for seasons every time a new pack comes out.
    If all the big packs have been done. Where does that leave seasons.
    If seasons isn't regarded as big pack I don't know what is.

• Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited March 2018

I think you might be underestimating adding weather to the game there a tiny bit ;) And Pets and Seasons are equal where it comes to being the most requested.
    kate-middleton-prince-william-do-wave-olympic-tennis-andy-murray.gif
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    JoAnne65 wrote: »

I think you might be underestimating adding weather to the game there a tiny bit ;) And Pets and Seasons are equal where it comes to being the most requested.
    kate-middleton-prince-william-do-wave-olympic-tennis-andy-murray.gif

Without weather the game is bland. I’ve stopped playing sims, well because 20 other games came out and I have to play them. But the fact is everyday is sunny and boring. I personally think seasons is more needed in the sims 4 then any ep right now because weather changes so much. It honestly should of been the first ep because you can do so much with weather and seasons.
  • Options
    SimmerNickYTSimmerNickYT Posts: 703 Member
    edited March 2018
    I hope TS4 will last 6 years max. To me the game still feels pretty empty with multiple DLCs installed. Many packs seem to be a miss instead of a hit. If after three years they can't make the game feel fuller, then I don't think another three years will change that a lot. I'm ready to move on honestly to a new base game. I don't see much potential in TS4 if they don't even feel like adding lounge chairs, swings, lounge chairs, burglars, firemen, cars, stairs, ponds, simple terrain tools, etc. What's the point really of having a successor that lacks so much from its predecessors to be around for more than 6 years.
    So I do think the game will be longer than 5 years. Wasn't C&D the start of the second wave, which was released after 3 years? So that would mean another 3 years of new content.
    Not so obsessed anymore with building in TS4!
    YouTube: https://goo.gl/PK7vxR | The Gallery: https://goo.gl/a5DZAK
    Twitter: https://goo.gl/QzQVUK | Origin-ID: SimmerNickYT
    hPtVNfA.png
  • Options
    RevenwynRevenwyn Posts: 317 Member
    Where did you hear that? Through the grapevine?

So that's what the developers were saying as Sims 4 was being developed, while everyone was still playing Sims 3. Personally, I really think it depends on how well Sims 4 does on the market whether they will attempt a Sims 5 or not. Personally I think that they need ideas that haven't already been done in previous Sims titles. Though I would honestly get a Sims 5 just for height differences between adult sims and children having the chance of inheriting it (short mother could have short daughter or somewhere between her and dad's height, son with short mother could be taller than mom but shorter than dad or about dad's height.) But hey, my husband also has a brother who is shorter than their mom, his brothers range from 5'6" to 6'4". So maybe weird anomalies like that could be present too.

Yeah they'd have to figure out the coding for tilting heads up/down for kisses and short sims on tiptoes, but that's real life.
    Like my T-shirt? Get it here: Revenwyn's Sims

• Options
    RevenwynRevenwyn Posts: 317 Member
    So some things I noticed about differences in the Sims 3 and Sims 4.

1) Sims 3 was a lot easier to create content for and install custom items for. This led a lot of people to get items at The Sims Resource rather than the in-game store. So they made it a lot harder to create custom content, and consequently, there's a lot less on The Sims Resource to download.

2) Items could be purchased via in-game store in Sims 3, now it seems we need to buy these stuff packs with hardly anything for ridiculous amounts of money. I for one have not done this, nor have I bought most of the game packs. Whereas yes, Sims 3 had a lot of stuff packs, but there were PLENTY of items with expansions. Now they're just releasing half-finished Game Packs and making you pay for stuff. I want some REAL expansion packs, thank you very much.

I do like being able to replicate the wide variety of body shapes in Sims 4. Sims 3 had fit and fat but every fat person still had an hourglass figure. Since when does that happen in a truly fat person? I've even been able to replicate my barrel-shaped, waistless figure fairly well.
    Like my T-shirt? Get it here: Revenwyn's Sims

• Options
    ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member

Which still can’t be the reason why EA already has released Cats&Dogs but not the weather.

Weather is actually quite easy to make and even the mobile Sims Games have nice weather too. But EA’s policy clearly seems to be to make TS4 so different from TS3 that EA still can sell both games for their full price. So EA found a way to make pets sufficiently different from the Sims 3 Pets to still follow this policy. But weather is weather and can’t really be very different from game to game. Therefore Seasons still hasn’t been released for TS4 too because such a release would likely just finally force EA to give up on the idea about selling TS3 too. Seasons is popular though. So it still gives meaning for EA to maybe release Seasons as the very last EP for TS4 too.
  • Options
    LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    Erpe wrote: »

Which still can’t be the reason why EA already has released Cats&Dogs but not the weather.

Weather is actually quite easy to make and even the mobile Sims Games have nice weather too. But EA’s policy clearly seems to be to make TS4 so different from TS3 that EA still can sell both games for their full price. So EA found a way to make pets sufficiently different from the Sims 3 Pets to still follow this policy. But weather is weather and can’t really be very different from game to game. Therefore Seasons still hasn’t been released for TS4 too because such a release would likely just finally force EA to give up on the idea about selling TS3 too. Seasons is popular though. So it still gives meaning for EA to maybe release Seasons as the very last EP for TS4 too.

You keep answering your own questions.

Maybe the reason they haven't released Seasons as well as Pets is because Seasons isn't actually finished? You know, because they're both an absolutely HUGE expansion? Also, companies don't wait to release things because they don't care. They do things in a certain order because it holds consumer interest. I also don't believe that Seasons will be the last pack.

Maybe the reason they haven't released Weather is because it's only easy if you don't care. "Oh, it's raining. Puddles and automatic watering of plants."

It's not just a copy-paste job. Why should Sims 4, using more powerful computer specs, be exactly like Sims 3 when the teams are different and the engine is different and the graphical style is different?
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.