Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is sims 4 gong to run longer than the usual 5 years ?

Comments

• Options
    SchantalSchantal Posts: 3,082 Member
    edited March 2018
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Revenwyn wrote: »
    I heard that this is going to be the last Sims game.
    Where did you hear that? Through the grapevine?

I can almost 100% say that this will NOT be the last sims game. It is one of their biggest money makers. All I can hope for is that the next iteration isn't the disaster that this one was. Yes, this one has some good in it, but compared to its predecessors it was a failure. I am worn out though that it costs roughly $500+ (its even more if you were one that bought from the Sims 3 store, etc....) for each iteration when I have games like RDR that I have played since 2010 and it is STILL fun and I only spent the $60 game price. When there are games that I am still playing 8 years later and I only paid $60 for them, it makes the $500 price tag for the sims with "extra content" seem beyond nuts. DLC has become the norm so that will never go away, at least not while people continue to purchase it, but I at least hope that we will get more value for our money this next time around.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Thank you @Schantal :smile:
    jimbbq wrote: »
    Sims 3 seems a lot more meaty compared to what we have in TS4 for sure. Instead of full Generation, we get half baked Parenthood...... instead of full World Adventure, we get again a small chunk that is Jungle Adventure..... dont get me wrong, I do love these GP, but they are so much smaller than EP!

I agree. Sims 3 was filling out nicely by this point in it’s lifespan. Sims 4 hasn’t really added that many substantial things. It’s mostly been rehashed ideas from their past games with less included and weird choices being made at every step.

No problem!! I had sent you a PM, but not sure if it went through. I agree, by this point, the sims 3 had so much stuff. You could swim in the ocean, ride horses, own resorts, go windsurfing, own unicorns, go to University, had weather, go to the future, could travel to 3 different destination worlds, could own houseboats, could be a lifeguard, could surf (sims 3 store), could own cows and chickens and farming equipment like tractors (store), could go back in time to the renaissance period and own dragons and do archery!!!! could go on a roller coaster and feel like you were in the 1950's, could be a mermaid, could SCUBA DIVEEEEE :smile: , could have simbots that we could customize, could play as so many supernatural states, had so many pets, etc......I could go on and on, from teaching teens to drive to going to their graduations, to throwing big bachelor and bachelorette bashes....this is only maybe 10% of what you could do in The Sims 3.

I started my Sims 3 game up the other day for the first time in a while and I was so overwhelmed with all I could do and it just reminded me of what it was like to have a game where there were so many possibilities and it truly felt like I was in control over these little peoples lives.
  • Options
    BlueOvaleBlueOvale Posts: 740 Member
    The Sims 4 did not progress the series forward at all. It had a rocky development stage, and it is slow to come up with new content.
    And that content is almost always boring. The Sims 4's style and gameplay are boring. TS5 couldn't be any worst than TS4. I for one cannot wait for it to come out. But I think they'll need a new engine and a new team. If they don't change those the series will keep stalling.

• Options
    BlueOvale wrote: »
    The Sims 4 did not progress the series forward at all. It had a rocky development stage, and it is slow to come up with new content.
    And that content is almost always boring. The Sims 4's style and gameplay are boring. TS5 couldn't be any worst than TS4. I for one cannot wait for it to come out. But I think they'll need a new engine and a new team. If they don't change those the series will keep stalling.

This comment is perfection!! I agree, they need a revamp of EVERYTHING, including some new blood working on the game (Sims 5).
  • Options
    PegasysPegasys Posts: 1,135 Member

I used to think Sims 4 was kind of boring, but that was when it was first released / basegame. I took a long break and after coming back and acquiring content it became fun. I'm also finding the more I play, the more interesting it gets. Adding new content helps, setting challenges and goals helps as well.

I am not convinced that there will be a Sims 5 any time in the next 2-3 years, if at all.
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    Pegasys wrote: »

I used to think Sims 4 was kind of boring, but that was when it was first released / basegame. I took a long break and after coming back and acquiring content it became fun. I'm also finding the more I play, the more interesting it gets. Adding new content helps, setting challenges and goals helps as well.

I am not convinced that there will be a Sims 5 any time in the next 2-3 years, if at all.

Without addons Sims 4 is very boring. IMO none of the addons really fix that problem. Some have provided much needed replayable content, but overall I find myself not actually using a lot of the content anymore because i’ve played it out. Kinda like how a good song is overplayed on the radio, and slowly you lose interest in hearing it, and eventually you dread hearing it (I’m looking at you Uptown Funk...) - that’s my relationship with Sims 4.

I think some of the packs are designed to become boring whether that be intentional or not. Especially ones that don’t offer a whole lot of replay value (GTW, CL, GT, OR, etc). There will be a Sims 5. The Sims is EA’s highest earning PC title they aren’t going to drop it. Who knows when they will come out with it; based on how slowly Sims 4 moves along it might be awhile, but it’s absolutely something that will happen.
  • Options
    AHolyToiletAHolyToilet Posts: 870 Member
    Schantal wrote: »

This comment is perfection!! I agree, they need a revamp of EVERYTHING, including some new blood working on the game (Sims 5).

I concur. TS5 should be something new, something different and creative.
  • Options
    jimbbqjimbbq Posts: 2,734 Member
    Schantal wrote: »
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Where did you hear that? Through the grapevine?

DLC has become the norm so that will never go away, at least not while people continue to purchase it, but I at least hope that we will get more value for our money this next time around.

DLCs are bad but to me micro transaction on mobile games are evil !!!! I never ever ever pay any penny on micro transaction. It is just disgraceful !
  • Options
    To be fair ts4 isn’t a bad game per se. It is just in comparison to its predecessor it looks bad !!!
  • Options
    PegasysPegasys Posts: 1,135 Member
    edited March 2018

Without addons Sims 4 is very boring. IMO none of the addons really fix that problem. Some have provided much needed replayable content, but overall I find myself not actually using a lot of the content anymore because i’ve played it out. Kinda like how a good song is overplayed on the radio, and slowly you lose interest in hearing it, and eventually you dread hearing it (I’m looking at you Uptown Funk...) - that’s my relationship with Sims 4.

I think some of the packs are designed to become boring whether that be intentional or not. Especially ones that don’t offer a whole lot of replay value (GTW, CL, GT, OR, etc). There will be a Sims 5. The Sims is EA’s highest earning PC title they aren’t going to drop it. Who knows when they will come out with it; based on how slowly Sims 4 moves along it might be awhile, but it’s absolutely something that will happen.

I find it interesting how people can be "absolutely" sure of things like this. I'm not sure of anything anymore. I recall a developer saying they wouldn't do a pack like Sims 3 WA, and guess what? We now have Jungle Adventure. I also recall people saying that EA would never create DLC based on DLC. And, well....

The reason why I speculate that it will be a long time before there's a Sims 5, if there is to be one, is because the PC specs, especially those of the more casual players, aren't at the level where they could run a significantly enhanced, progressive new version of the Sims that would make a new version worthwhile. Right now they have targeted the laptop market, and that's a large percentage of players. What could they really offer in a Sims 5, with current tech as it is now, that would make it markedly innovative, groundbreaking and worthwhile?

I do agree that if Sims 5 comes out, to please the people who find Sims 4 unappealing, they would need to start from the ground level. Because if Sims 4 isn't going in the direction that pleases, what makes people think Sims 5 will be any better?
  • Options
    Cherryrose_xCherryrose_x Posts: 524 Member
    Sims 5 needs to be a mix of the past and something new IMO. It needs the open world's of Sims 3, the world creator of Sims 2 and a whole lot of new. I can't really see what more they can do though? Aside from making the Sims age gradually rather than ta da I'm now an adult. I don't know where they can go from here.

They will never add any of the dlc as main game. It would be awesome for the base game to come with university and seasons and heck even pets. But it's never going to happen because that's where they get their money.
    Gallery name: Anna-Banna
  • Options
    I play sims not for the graphics and graphics take up a lot of computing power.all these fancy backdrops with visual effects in sims 4 are just bollocks

So don’t tell me you can’t innivate gameplay without needing a super computer to run the game !
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,974 Member
    Well I hope the sims 4 last several more years. It seems like the pacts keep getting better to me!
  • Options
    ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    Sims 5 needs to be a mix of the past and something new IMO. It needs the open world's of Sims 3, the world creator of Sims 2 and a whole lot of new. I can't really see what more they can do though? Aside from making the Sims age gradually rather than ta da I'm now an adult. I don't know where they can go from here.

They will never add any of the dlc as main game. It would be awesome for the base game to come with university and seasons and heck even pets. But it's never going to happen because that's where they get their money.
    This isn’t the reason why those things aren’t in the basegames!

The problem instead is that EA wants to make the basegames for as little money as possible and only add the most necessary content to give the basegame high sales numbers. But adding things from the previous games to the basegame won’t motivate simmers to buy the new basegame because simmers already have those things in the previous basegame! Therefore the design of the basegame will always instead concentrate on something new which wasn’t in the previous games. For TS3 this was the open world and for TS4 it was mainly the multitasking. But for TS5 EA needs something else or simmers will just wait and wait until EA really adds something new and interesting before they even buy the basegame.

There is no guarantee that EA ever will release all previous EPs for TS4 too. Seasons will probably be released in some form though. But I doubt that TS4 even will get University because TS4 won’t get many more EPs and I doubt that a University GP would sell very well anyway.
  • Options
    comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    I hope so
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited March 2018

I find it interesting how people can be "absolutely" sure of things like this. I'm not sure of anything anymore. I recall a developer saying they wouldn't do a pack like Sims 3 WA, and guess what? We now have Jungle Adventure. I also recall people saying that EA would never create DLC based on DLC. And, well....

The reason why I speculate that it will be a long time before there's a Sims 5, if there is to be one, is because the PC specs, especially those of the more casual players, aren't at the level where they could run a significantly enhanced, progressive new version of the Sims that would make a new version worthwhile. Right now they have targeted the laptop market, and that's a large percentage of players. What could they really offer in a Sims 5, with current tech as it is now, that would make it markedly innovative, groundbreaking and worthwhile?

I do agree that if Sims 5 comes out, to please the people who find Sims 4 unappealing, they would need to start from the ground level. Because if Sims 4 isn't going in the direction that pleases, what makes people think Sims 5 will be any better?
    Think you're referring to Graham Nardone and what he said was: "I'd love a Sims 4 World Adventures, but I'd be surprised if it happened. Seemed to be a divisive love it/hate it pack." He didn't say they wouldn't do it, it clearly wasn't in the planning back then though. But saying "I'd be surprised" is something else than "we won't do it".
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    Erpe wrote: »
    marcel21 wrote: »

The only time I heard that was with the guru who said that if the Sims 4 was not a hit there would be no Sims 5
    And this was in 2014 when he was supposed to introduce TS4. So he became annoyed when somebody already wanted to know when TS5 would be released. Anyway he was obviously right. But TS4 hasn’t been the disaster where EA even stopped making packs for it after a year or too. Therefore EA almost certainly decided to start developing the Sims 5 basegame too in 2015 and at least not later than 2016.

Well of course it was. I mean he said this around the time this game launched. And agree he got annoyed when a player who buys these games simply ask about the sims 5.
    Anybody who buys these games should be able to ask a simple question.
    He could of simply refused the question as this is about the sims 4.instead of saying something like that.
    Old news anyway.
    Anyway.
    We do not now if these games been a huge hit enough for them to sonsider sims 5.
    The way people keep taking about there budget being tight with the smaller packs we are getting makes you wonder where this will leave the sims 5.

Yes they make packs. How they are selling I have no idea. Nor does anybody else.
    There is a lot of speculation about how well its doing.
    Personally I think some packs seem to be doing better than others. But honestly don't know for sure.
    Have they said they are working on the sims 5?
    Happy simming

Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• Options
    Sims 3 seems a lot more meaty compared to what we have in TS4 for sure. Instead of full Generation, we get half baked Parenthood...... instead of full World Adventure, we get again a small chunk that is Jungle Adventure..... dont get me wrong, I do love these GP, but they are so much smaller than EP!

I agree you you.
    This is the same for all the sims 4 expansion packs, good but half baked compaired to three.

• Options
    ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member

There isn’t anything new in the fact that simmers always just expect EA to release the same EPs again and again for each version of the game and then EA doing something different. The reason of course is that EA knows that such a game wouldn’t sell very well because simmers don’t want to just buy the same game over and over. So unless EA wants low sales number EA has to renew the game and to make each version of it as different from the previous one as possible within reason.

But the Sims games are among EA’s very best selling games and as long as this is the case EA of course won’t stop the series. It is also a fact though that after some years most simmers have stopped playing and the majority of simmers are new simmers who started playing later even though we can’t really see that in the forum which all the new simmers rarely use until they have played for a few years. But the new simmers have already too many packs to choose between if they start playing now. Therefore they aren’t very likely to buy the new packs anymore and EA just has to soon release a new basegame to correct this situation.

I am wondering myself what the new things in TS5 will be. But EA knows that simmers won’t buy the Sims 5 basegame unless it has something interesting news to offer. The return of the open world won’t be enough because a lot of simmers already own TS3 too. More options for online play and visiting cities belonging to other simmers are something that I am sure that EA has considered. But the problem with it is that it won’t work very well if EA also wants the open world to return in some form. Still EA has had several years to experiment and consider such ideas. So I am actually quite curious to see what EA will come up with.
  • Options

I agree. Sims 3 was filling out nicely by this point in it’s lifespan. Sims 4 hasn’t really added that many substantial things. It’s mostly been rehashed ideas from their past games with less included and weird choices being made at every step.

I agree with you.

• Options

There isn’t anything new in the fact that simmers always just expect EA to release the same EPs again and again for each version of the game and then EA doing something different. The reason of course is that EA knows that such a game wouldn’t sell very well because simmers don’t want to just buy the same game over and over. So unless EA wants low sales number EA has to renew the game and to make each version of it as different from the previous one as possible within reason.

But the Sims games are among EA’s very best selling games and as long as this is the case EA of course won’t stop the series. It is also a fact though that after some years most simmers have stopped playing and the majority of simmers are new simmers who started playing later even though we can’t really see that in the forum which all the new simmers rarely use until they have played for a few years. But the new simmers have already too many packs to choose between if they start playing now. Therefore they aren’t very likely to buy the new packs anymore and EA just has to soon release a new basegame to correct this situation.

I am wondering myself what the new things in TS5 will be. But EA knows that simmers won’t buy the Sims 5 basegame unless it has something interesting news to offer. The return of the open world won’t be enough because a lot of simmers already own TS3 too. More options for online play and visiting cities belonging to other simmers are something that I am sure that EA has considered. But the problem with it is that it won’t work very well if EA also wants the open world to return in some form. Still EA has had several years to experiment and consider such ideas. So I am actually quite curious to see what EA will come up with.
    SheriSim57 wrote: »
    Well I hope the sims 4 last several more years. It seems like the pacts keep getting better to me!

Oh. I hope so to. It needs to as the games are still so bare bones.

The game packs I love so much. But they only had a small amount of features
    Examples

Parenting
    Vampires
    Spa
    Holiday spot
    Dinning out

Expansions used to have so many in one as they no longer do . it makes the game feel so bare at this stage.

• Options
    CheekybitsCheekybits Posts: 1,030 Member
    marcel21 wrote: »

SheriSim57 wrote: »

Oh. I hope so to. It needs to as the games are still so bare bones.

The game packs I love so much. But they only had a small amount of features
    Examples

Parenting
    Vampires
    Spa
    Holiday spot
    Dinning out

Expansions used to have so many in one as they no longer do . it makes the game feel so bare at this stage.

I can’t play without the parenting pack. It seems there going to add a lot of the previous stuff from past games but “with a new take on things” so if this is true then we are missing ALOT. I’d say another 2 years for the sims 4. They might announce sims 5 next year but I doubt anytime soon. Sales will drop a lot if people know sims 5 is coming out.
  • Options

agree with you.
    No disrespect intended to the current team.
    The packs have been OK but compared to the sims 3. At times they are really poor attempts for me.
    Yes a new engine and a new team.

• Options
    Goth583Goth583 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Honestly, I think they'll keep riding their cash cow until people stop spending money on it. I don't see how they could make another sims game, the franchise seemed to top out at TS3. TS3 was a very full game by this point, and TS4 is still severely lacking in terms of content that even came in the base games of TS2 and TS3. I think when we see TS5 roll out, it will actually not be TS5 but will be something based off the sims franchise. How many times are you really wanting to buy the same game over and over?
    https://originalsimmer.blogspot.com - Check out my current TS4 Legacy!
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Goth583 wrote: »
    Honestly, I think they'll keep riding their cash cow until people stop spending money on it. I don't see how they could make another sims game, the franchise seemed to top out at TS3. TS3 was a very full game by this point, and TS4 is still severely lacking in terms of content that even came in the base games of TS2 and TS3. I think when we see TS5 roll out, it will actually not be TS5 but will be something based off the sims franchise. How many times are you really wanting to buy the same game over and over?

Yeah, some of TS3 is still selling at full price on Origin and not really discounted all that much. And the store is still going strong in selling content. It might be pulling in more than TS4. :o
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.