Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What do you do with your elders?

Comments

• Options
    MikezumiMikezumi Posts: 49,697 Member
    edited February 2018
    Make their last days as happy as possible (e.g. granting most wishes, letting them do things they enjoy, etc.)
    My boys are still enjoying their time at uni :)

Maybe not so much lectures, though ;)
    40369647151_f3e8e40ab4_o.jpg
    40323903452_fc6c4a3a7e_o.jpg
    39472480505_b9fe2024a8_o.jpg
    40323883712_791bd5a2d6_o.jpg

Post edited by Mikezumi on
  • Options
    ZeeGeeZeeGee Posts: 5,368 Member
    Other (please specify below)
    @Mikezumi Is he nekkid? Cause it looks like another half centimeter down might get real ... hairy. :lol:
  • Options
    Make their last days as happy as possible (e.g. granting most wishes, letting them do things they enjoy, etc.)
    @ZeeGee He is indeed! although not so hairy now that he is elder and the hair is so fair it is barely visible ;) I was actually kind of hoping that I would get the rare one where the artist strips off instead of the subject. That's always good for a laugh :D
  • Options
    ZeeGeeZeeGee Posts: 5,368 Member
    I have never seen that!
  • Options
    @ZeeGee I had it happen to my SS once. Laughed so hard the cat jumped! :p
  • Options
    cwaddellcwaddell Posts: 4,960 Member
    Leave them to free will with minimal supervision
    Mikezumi wrote: »
    @Joanne65 I had read one of your posts in another thread where you said that single sims are most likely to be culled in your game. It's been many years since I played without Nraas SP but I remember how sad I would get when sims I had my eye on would vanish.

How do you configure NRaas SP not to emigrate out sims?

I was playing a sim trying to get the LTW of heartbreaker. He had no problem becoming a boyfriend of a sim but once he broke up with them they disappeared from town. When that happened 1 would be subtracted from his LTW total. I suspect they got moved out of town because their relationship with my sim was so low.
  • Options
    5782341b77vl5782341b77vl Posts: 9,149 Member
    Move them out (on their own, with other elders or other family members)
    Time to go to the nursing home!

It only had 3 employee that (took care?) of the other elders, but I figured since my Sims weren't going to be there long... >:)
    ...AND WASH YOUR DING-DANG HANDS!
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    cwaddell wrote: »
    @Joanne65 I had read one of your posts in another thread where you said that single sims are most likely to be culled in your game. It's been many years since I played without Nraas SP but I remember how sad I would get when sims I had my eye on would vanish.

I was playing a sim trying to get the LTW of heartbreaker. He had no problem becoming a boyfriend of a sim but once he broke up with them they disappeared from town. When that happened 1 would be subtracted from his LTW total. I suspect they got moved out of town because their relationship with my sim was so low.
    I wonder what happened there...

There is no autonomous emigration with NRaas SP under default settings because many players hate it so much, at least there isn't supposed to be, and it's actually very difficult to arrange for so it can't really be switched on by accident. There is a Run Out of Town scenario that can fire, but I believe that requires the sim having awful enemy type relationships with everyone they know in town and no friends at all. I don't think even that should happen by itself if emigration is shut down. Maybe one of the SP Personality modules allows for it, but that's reaching a bit.

Of course if you evict a sim from a household, actively being played or otherwise, if they cannot afford housing with the cash they are left with and they have no friends or relatives to move in with (or even if they do) ,then they become homeless and may just wander out of your game so it could look like emigration. But it really isn't exactly that because from the moment of the eviction they really no longer have a household to belong to.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    igazor wrote: »
    cwaddell wrote: »

I wonder what happened there...

There is no autonomous emigration with NRaas SP under default settings because many players hate it so much, at least there isn't supposed to be, and it's actually very difficult to arrange for so it can't really be switched on by accident. There is a Run Out of Town scenario that can fire, but I believe that requires the sim having awful enemy type relationships with everyone they know in town and no friends at all. I don't think even that should happen by itself if emigration is shut down. Maybe one of the SP Personality modules allows for it, but that's reaching a bit.

Of course if you evict a sim from a household, actively being played or otherwise, if they cannot afford housing with the cash they are left with and they have no friends or relatives to move in with (or even if they do) ,then they become homeless and may just wander out of your game so it could look like emigration. But it really isn't exactly that because from the moment of the eviction they really no longer have a household to belong to.

They did become enemies with him and it was the very beginning of the game so they probably had not developed any other relationships yet but they did live in their own houses so not homeless.

By having emigration shut down you mean the emigration ration set to zero? I don't change the emigration options but I was wondering if I should change the "check active relationship" to true and use MC to change their relationship to acquaintance or friend instead of in the red.

I was being very cheaty in acquiring his girlfriends. I used the purple dragon to teleport someone he didn't know into his house and make them instant good friends. Then he would ask them to go steady and soon after break up with them. The next day or two they would disappear from town. I guess the game was trying to compensate for my underhanded process. :)
  • Options
    TempurranceTempurrance Posts: 44 Member
    edited February 2018
    I like to let them do as they please! I love my elders as well. As soon as they've completed their LTW they can do whatever they want. Usually they'll help take care of kids and do chores on free will. Other times they'll jump on the trampoline or flirt with their daughter-in-law. :s

Edit: I didn't think of sending them to university! I'll have to try that! @Mikezumi I love that first grumpy picture lol
    Still can't find Waldo...
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited February 2018
    @cwaddell -
    Emigration Ratio = 0 keeps debt-related emigration shut down. I don't think it keeps two other types shut down, Elder Emigration and Too Crowded which would both otherwise be hiding under General Options > Options:Sims (not Lots). But Elder is only relevant for elder sims themselves (in already full households) and Too Crowded is only relevant if the town has zero empty available houses (or I think maybe is over its SP population cap) AND there are households who don't know or have any relationships with other households in town. It would be pretty unusual for these to trigger without the player realizing they are playing under these conditions.

Run Out of Town is not actually documented, or at least I can't find where it is right now, so you may have something there with the Check Active Relationship option especially near the beginning of the game as you said if Too Crowded is not what is happening. But the more solid relationship can be with some other sim or an ad hoc relative, not the one having broken up with them, if you are trying to prevent this from happening. Strange...I've never seen this and I've certainly had inactive sims who were not liked by anyone in town. But maybe they just weren't disliked "enough" for the scenario to trigger.

For anyone else trying to follow along here and possibly getting lost, we're talking about not so often changed NRaas SP options related to emigration, which is not something that is asked for every day. The SP Population add-on module is required for most to all of these options to even appear.

We should probably take this conversation elsewhere if there is more, though I think we've covered most of it, as it's kind of off-topic for this thread. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    igazor wrote: »

We should probably take this conversation elsewhere if there is more, though I think we've covered most of it, as it's kind of off-topic for this thread. :)
    Yes, you are right but I think this is all I need. Thanks for your help.

ETA: Sorry for hijacking the thread. :)
  • Options
    @cwaddell I'm glad igazor saw your question since I would not have been able to answer it other than to say I know that emigration is off by default.

@5782341b77vl At least you have sims there to look after them :)

@Tempurrance Flirting with in-laws is never fun! I can't remember what SP settings I changed but that never happens in my games anymore. It's always good to know that some people treat their elders right :)
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    My boys got to try keg stands. I was kind of hoping for one of them to be dropped but it wasn't to be ;)
    40369601571_76aa75cca6_o.jpg
    39663574744_0f50271b3d_o.jpg
    Post edited by Mikezumi on
  • Options
    jillbgjillbg Posts: 4,600 Member
    Business as usual - age is just a number
    @Mikezumi I just love the way you play your elders, giving them a good ending to a full sim life! I'm still playing Granny Grey, who's found love on her old days. She's really getting old with health problems, and now she's away to Groenland on a quest, nobody knows what the future might hold for her...
    NymlADp.jpg
  • Options
    @jillbg Since my SS is an elder, it would just be wrong to mistreat them! :p Besides, I get really attached to them and want them to be happy since they have so little time.
    Good for Granny Grey finding love! :) I hope her health problems don't mean her time is coming to an end :(
  • Options
    jillbgjillbg Posts: 4,600 Member
    @Mikezumi I'm preparing something I hope will be if not OK, at least brings tears to your eyes! But she's got time left yet, I can't just kill her off before letting her have a little happiness too... :'(
    NymlADp.jpg
  • Options
    princess_kaguyaprincess_kaguya Posts: 508 Member
    they work cuz i need money in the house
  • Options
    @princess_kaguya Thanks for answering :)
  • Options
    The boys finally had a keg stand fail! :p
    40392298071_595a28153e_o.jpg
    39681330984_6ac60295f8_o.jpg
    40347321972_03c0272e08_o.jpg
    39681327014_45f9fd887d_o.jpg
    40347313472_14a9a26b58_o.jpg
    39681322544_8e638da30d_o.jpg
    40392280301_3148d2ce38_o.jpg
    40392277981_9b811f00f7_o.jpg
    38581601680_77b9b7c526_o.jpg
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    @meerkattime Thank you :) Jordan has always had a very expressive face and John's not too shabby himself. He's the "twin brother" of Eddy Mullis from the University world and when I played Eddy recently he was also very expressive :)
    Here's John, Jordan and Eddy just after I "made" John.
    39142067944_fe7207b7b2_o.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    My boys passed and are now safely back home :) When they have been home a couple of days (because I want to get started on a new grandchild for them), I might have to send them to Champs Les Sims since they never had a honeymoon :)
    25540515777_fd2a65f53a_o.jpg
    39515790725_a1c93ed0de_o.jpg
  • Options
    TinySpaceFoxTinySpaceFox Posts: 1,110 Member
    edited February 2018
    I'll be honest here, I've never actually played with elders. The closest thing I've ever done to playing with them is taking them into CAS and aging them down (out of boredom :tongue:). I was simply curious to see what they look like as YAs.

I haven't found anything very promising so far, except for one: Margarita Manzano. She's an elder at the start of the game, living in Isla Paradiso. Here she is as an elder:
    latest?cb=20130910232940

Here she is in my game now. I kept her as YA, no tweaking done to her face. The only edits were changing her hair and adding a custom skin:
    WxKEf2n.jpg
  • Options
    UnseenHorizonUnseenHorizon Posts: 212 Member
    Keep them working to increase the household funds
    I feel kind of guilty but at career level 10 you can't really afford to retire them (unless you have a stockpile of money anyway)

*coughs*

TS3_2018-02-23_01-25-14.jpg?dl=1
    "Hosting indoor firework shows since '00"
    Currently trying to pick up The Sims 3 again :)

You can find me lurking around The Sims 3 board, feel free to say hi!