Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What do you do with your elders?

Comments

• Options
    MikezumiMikezumi Posts: 49,697 Member
    Make their last days as happy as possible (e.g. granting most wishes, letting them do things they enjoy, etc.)
    @TinySpaceFox Wow! Margarita looks lovely! Mind you, with the right skin, hair and clothes she would look fab as an elder too :)

@UnseenHorizon Ah, yes! I can see your sims really need the money! ;)
  • Options
    Make their last days as happy as possible (e.g. granting most wishes, letting them do things they enjoy, etc.)
    After I got the heir started on the next generation, I sent John and Jordan to Champs Les Sims :)
    38642573880_d38a0ab36c_o.jpg
    25581957507_3f7947f741_o.jpg
    40452982251_cb23fcb525_o.jpg
    Frog legs for dinner! :)
    39556908105_ac19d99ce3_o.jpg
    40452961581_6f8784072d_o.jpg
    39556900505_65c9a2d212_o.jpg
    38642527120_ba21c3d867_o.jpg
  • Options
    MrSpacemanMrSpaceman Posts: 382 Member
    They still live the same life they had when they were younger (unless they want anything different). They are still my sims, I love them very much, and they live in comfort and never be treated even a little bit worse than a youger generation. Nothing changes.
  • Options
    MrGorgon1997MrGorgon1997 Posts: 367 Member
    edited February 2018
    My sims have pretty short lifespans compared to some, but I generally allow them to chill once they become elders! I fulfill the wishes they roll and just generally let them do what they want, especially since my elder period is pretty short.
  • Options
    cwaddellcwaddell Posts: 4,960 Member
    Leave them to free will with minimal supervision
    My sims have pretty short lifespans compared to some, but I generally allow them to chill once they become elders! I fulfill the wishes they roll and just generally let them do what they want, especially since my elder period is pretty short.

I'm curious - what life span do you play on and what is the length of your elder stage?

I also make the elder stage shorter because in my opinion the stooped over, shuffling elders of Sims 3 only correspond to the last years of a senior's life in RL. Currently I play on normal life span (91 days) with an elder stage of 7 days and they can live no more than 3 days past that.

I'm thinking of changing the life span to correspond to 4 sim days is equal to a year real life (this is an extension of 3 days for a pregnancy) or shortening the days of a pregnancy to 2 days and use 2 sim days is equal to a RL year to determine the life span.
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited February 2018
    Other (please specify below)
    There are many ways to step in and mitigate that sudden oh no, yesterday I was an active adult and now suddenly I'm 115 years old and may as well be bedridden feeling (no offense to any actual 115 year old sim players out there). I'm personally fond of Consort's Age mod that eases elders into their lifestate much more slowly and gracefully.
    http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=517293

My elder stage is 42 sim days, which is more than half of my adult stage. And they can live for as long as they can beyond that through the daily dice rolls before scheduling a dance with Grimmy; some of my actives get to go through it all twice with the help of death flowers.

Mikezumi wrote: »
    40452982251_cb23fcb525_o.jpg
    Do you mind if I caption this one for you?

"Ugh, I know this is a nectary but the drinks here just don't taste right. Maybe it's the water, but something is just...off. And they never put enough ice cubes in. I also hear that they let frogs get into the food supply. When can we go home?"
    (same as in real life, some people just aren't meant to travel) >:):p
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    @Vincent_Vengeance It makes me happy to hear that you love and respect your elder sims :) They are definitely no worse than their younger counterparts and should not be treated as such :)

@MrGorgon1997 Short is okay as long as you treat them well and it sounds like you do :)

@igazor I checked out that mod some time ago and decided it wasn't for me but it does look good, especially the walk speed component of it.
    Your caption gave me a good chuckle. I traveled a lot until I got married at 40 and heard many people (not just old ones) complaining constantly like that. I have even traveled with young people who insisted we find Burger Kings or McDonalds so they wouldn't have to eat the local cuisine. Some people are definitely not made for travel! :p I suspect I have a hidden Adventurous trait ;)
  • Options
    1need4kaffee1need4kaffee Posts: 486 Member
    My sims don't know what an Elder is. Logan's Run. Any Sim reaching adulthood must attend the Carousel for "renewal". >:)
  • Options
    @1need4kaffee Wow! Even adulthood is too old for you? Remind me never to give you a link to my SS ;)
  • Options
    MrGorgon1997MrGorgon1997 Posts: 367 Member
    @cwaddell I keep my lifespan to 100 days because I like even numbers, so it’s 2 baby days, 4 toddler days, 7 child days, 14 teen days, 26 YA days, 30 adult days & 17 elder days. I don’t really have any rhyme or reason like that, I just extend or decrease based on how much I enjoy playing sims of that age!
  • Options
    My boys are still in Champs Les Sims :)
    26597866898_db03ebbc28_o.jpg
    39573155175_d73a085c17_o.jpg
    I think they have boasted about their grandchildren with almost every sim they have met! :p
    40425051922_64c43c9cda_o.jpg
  • Options
    ChelsPlaySimsChelsPlaySims Posts: 94 Member
    Use them as live-in help - babysitting, cooking, gardening, etc.
    Grandparents are the best!
  • Options
    @ChelsPlaySims Yes, grandparents are the best and can enrich the lives of children lucky enough to have them :)
  • Options
    Can you tell which of my elders does not have the brave trait? ;)

John
    39576938755_45c9efdafc_o.jpg
    38662134270_ddcc20ba31_o.jpg

Jordan
    40429294902_f79d59e732_o.jpg
    40429289792_c1a3b264d4_o.jpg

• Options
    AdelineRobbinsAdelineRobbins Posts: 140 Member
    Business as usual - age is just a number
    I only started on the PC version of Sims 3 early last year and spent most of that year playing Guild Wars 2 when I burnt out on Sims, so I only have the one elder. Who has a few days of her total lifespan left. Business as usual fits more with my plans for my elders. I had Ophelia retire pretty early so she didn't have to worry about work and she had maxed her career, anyway. Now she spends her time painting or helping care for her grandchildren. She lost her husband midway through her lifespan, when she'd just aged to adult a week later, so her four children were all she had left. She enjoys helping raise her grandchildren. She'll cook here and there, do some gardening, interact with the animals. I no longer let her ride the horses. I love my Sims greatly. I will toss out extra siblings to keep the family smaller, but the previous parents will stay in the house. I've always tried to grant as many wishes as I could and make their days as enjoyable as I can.
    Ophelia looks pretty happy to me~ Very peaceful.
    tumblr_p4ru4bi5dY1ulb5l5o1_1280.jpg
    The Faye household is the other one closest to having elders, though those two are genies so they may age around the same time as their daughter does, who I made a mermaid instead. I built an extra story onto the family home for them to sleep away from any crying babies or barking dogs on the first floor. All of my households sport their own family cemeteries so no one is ever too far away from their family~ I love watching Ophelia's husband's ghost visit. He waves to everyone he passes with this smile on his face and my heart just swells. When she dies, I'm definitely going to take her into CAS and change her ghost into an Adult, so she's the same life state as he was when he died. Just so they can forever be "young" together.
    "Fool," said my muse to me. "Look in thy heart and write."
    Kq8qeWk.png
    Wordpress
    Origin ID: Hoshicake
  • Options
    @AdelineRobbins Ophelia does look very peaceful :) Apart from losing her husband early, it sounds like she has had a wonderful life :)
  • Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    Most of mine are loving the Grandparent life... there are a few who want to live as normal. =]
  • Options
    @Rflong7 What a cute avi! :)
    Mine seem to like their grandkids well enough but I think that the role of the grandparent wasn't really thought through when the game was made because, apart from rolling wishes to boast about their grandkids or play the occasional game with them, my grandparents really seem to be more interested in what they want to do. Not that I begrudge them that - I am all about the wishes :p
  • Options
    Saarah06Saarah06 Posts: 20 Member
    But most of the time I just wait for them to die off
  • Options
    @Saarah06 At least you let your sims age to elder ;)
  • Options
    John and Jordan's 5th grandchild was born yesterday. Now they have another excuse to brag about their grandchildren to everyone they meet ;)
    39801607494_38cba773fb_o.jpg
  • Options
    AnthonydyerAnthonydyer Posts: 1,197 Member
    I keep aging off, so usually my elders remain elders forever. I will usually have them be live in help. It is nice to have a nice wholesome warm cooked meal every day :) . I may have an elder work a job if I feel it is fitting.
  • Options
    @Anthonydyer I am sure your elders don't complain about being immortal ;)
  • Options
    stargurustarguru Posts: 2,115 Member
    Let them pursue their interests (e.g. painting, music, writing, bar-hopping, etc.)
    After spending a lifetime working and raising a family, my senior Sims finally get to engage in activities that they may not have had much time for previously, so pursuing interests got my vote. I have a fair number of elders who have taken up learning new skills in their golden years, while others have hobbies they’ve gotten back into after a long hiatus. My elders typically live with an adult child so they do help out with grandchildren and things around the house as needed, but not at the expense of their own pursuits. If Gramps wants to rock out on guitar… if Gram wants to spend some quiet time fishing… or if they both just want to sit in their pj’s all day and game online together… then that takes priority, lol. They’ve earned it!
  • Options
    @starguru I like your thinking! Your elders must be very happy :)