Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What do you do with your elders?

MikezumiMikezumi Posts: 49,697 Member
I know some people don't allow their sims to age or play on such epic lifespans that their sims seldom reach the elder stage but I love my elders and wondered what others do with theirs. I don't use my elders as baby sitters or live-in help. Although their skills are usually high and they can contribute a lot to the younger generation, I only let my elders cook or garden when they roll wishes to do so. I try to make their last days as happy as possible by granting as many wishes as possible and sending them out to do things they enjoy, like fishing or attending parties. So, what do you do with your elders? I'm sure I haven't even scratched the surface of possible options but that's what the Other option is for ;)

What do you do with your elders? 179 votes

Business as usual - age is just a number
15%
nickibitswardpisceschick75Emily4331rudolphaRhiannon58ZorgajillbgChanticokorsetSonata13SingerBettyboop55AlienOrigin10AlphaFFrogSimKeatsthuggishsplicerKay8OrangeSimtown15MadIrisThriorprincess_kaguya 27 votes
Use them as live-in help - babysitting, cooking, gardening, etc.
16%
Rflong7bklienhartQTBrniisEarcatPeachesnDucksalanmichael1icftlduSimplyJenSPARKY1922AnthonydyerNotSoLuckysassygray5Ayesqueellabrodey9SindocatTeenWolf_1999Saarah06Sims4MagicalTalesInternal_Chaosdorcsyful 29 votes
Send them to university (a brilliant idea stolen from igazor)
0%
Leave them to free will with minimal supervision
15%
kimieswildrosescwaddellPaikallinenJennyggRodJohnZeldaboy180Tempurrancebecks1112buggysmom10pinkteeshirtandrasudgarapoesMacaire13Savage_Patch_KiddMoonandStars83Minx11ZeibudewarmintretheraFaerie197 27 votes
Keep them busy to keep them out of the way
2%
SuicidalSpidersKelvinShadowmarkedHeckinGodzilla 4 votes
Keep them working to increase the household funds
2%
RsandaUnseenHorizonSummerRoxyAmandèleMKSizzle 5 votes
Let them pursue their interests (e.g. painting, music, writing, bar-hopping, etc.)
14%
Jaline33EmoFlowersApparentlyAwesomemollybrooke22Scorpina2009GabbyGirlJTildeLMeela_Pashtstarguruwen15yoshi_dragur2012CravenLestatIreneSwiftLizzyBalletlaydaywaySigzy05samsimscocoEnkiSchmidtBreazona 26 votes
Move them out (on their own, with other elders or other family members)
6%
Stdlr9Jessa_Dakkarzagbooruleskiara07dothesmustlehelleenlina5782341b77vlking_of_simcity7GoulsquashAvataritladynightHenrinator 12 votes
Make their last days as happy as possible (e.g. granting most wishes, letting them do things they enjoy, etc.)
13%
suzsesMoon_WillowElanoreAlexandriaSillyhartluvMikezumiemorrill06Bon06PyramoreCellardwellerxxnearlyperfectxjames64468jordandEricasFreePlayLiesSimYuriTheCreatorcomicsforlifeButtersimsSammiegamesDampenedLeavesManiac4u 24 votes
Other (please specify below)
13%
MamaSimTeeAmphoraSurrealCororonmarcel21JoAnne65simsinmysleepigazorGemSixxdogdancerbekkasanGITTE2001TadOlsonARRenschTreyNutzZeeGeephoebebebe13SjappielovePaulTinySpaceFoxShojoDagger 25 votes

Comments

• Options
    cocococo Posts: 2,726 Member
    edited February 2018
    Let them pursue their interests (e.g. painting, music, writing, bar-hopping, etc.)
    I voted for them pursuing their interests. Usually during adulthood my sims are focused on their family and career, so mid-way through being an elder I retire them and let them spend their days reading, skilling up, doing what they love etc. I suppose this choice is very similar to making their last days as happy as possible, but since I usually play with full households I can't have my full attention on them.
  • Options
    Make their last days as happy as possible (e.g. granting most wishes, letting them do things they enjoy, etc.)
    @coco There doesn't seem to be much difference between the two options since both keep the elders happy :)
  • Options
    It would be fun sending an elder to university! I should do that sometime, for something different.
  • Options
    @coco Since John and Jordan only a minimum of 8 days as elder in my current save, I am seriously toying with the idea of sending them to uni so I can play with them a little longer :)
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    edited February 2018
    I've been plenty guilty of just giving them the boot but recently in the last yr, it's been my quest to change how I play. This is one of the things I'm changing. It depends on how attached I am to the sim but most of the time, they end up as live-in help for whatever. All of my sims have a hobby of some sort though, no matter age.

Valentina, the sim in my avatar turned out to be pretty special to me for whatever reason... I really enjoy having her around. She gets posted about more than the current heir on my blog. Her hobby has been nectar making so when the family moved for generation 6, I built her a basement for her nectary. In her bedroom is a hot pink rocking chair because elders love their rocking chairs. She wants more grandchildren but I've decided on only one child for generation 7. During her generation (Gen 5), she ran a daycare with the help of a sim bot her mother got her. She had 7 children with all different fathers (two sets of twins). I'm sad she will be passing soon any day now. Last night, I treated her to a spa day and ice cream after. Everyone was too busy to join her. Such a sweet sim despite having the evil trait! :)

Screenshot spam below for those interested.
    tumblr_p3nwf7a5C31ssiu0eo1_1280.png
    tumblr_p3i9hgyEsy1ssiu0eo2_1280.png
    tumblr_p3uqbgAg881ssiu0eo1_1280.png
    tumblr_p3up6yS1FE1ssiu0eo3_1280.png
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    @mikezumi 8 days isn't long at all, just think... you could have John meeting up with his brother there. :wink:
    @simplyjen Those pictures are gorgeous. Your sim has had a very interesting life!
  • Options
    @SimplyJen Valentina looks great as an elder! :) Sorry that she is reaching the end of her time :'( I always find it hard to play when my sims' life bars are full because I know that it could happen at any time but I push forward (or I would have to quit the game and I am not doing that!).
    It sounds like you have given her a lovely life :)
  • Options
    @coco They wouldn't be brothers but it would be funny to see! I will need to decide before their time is up and you will see my updates if I do decide to go with it :)
  • Options
    I realized I lied in my OP! My SS is an elder and she is always made to work hard as a nanny/live-in help. Her case is different, though, because she is immortal and what else is she going to do with her time? ;)
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    I also like the idea of University for an elder. Something I've never thought of before...

@Mikezumi Thank you :) 8 days for elder? And I thought my 14 days was short. :p All though with the extra time they can roll for, it does add up sometimes. I've modded the game so they really have to be lucky after 14 days to beat death.. I do feel bad about it sometimes. :s
    @coco Thank you :) It's nice letting them enjoy their retirement doing what they love to do best. It is very hard to keep tabs on everyone in a full household.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    @SimplyJen I am trying something different in my current save and my sims have around 50 days total! :o I should probably have less elder days proportionate to the lifespan but I don't like losing my elders too quickly.
  • Options
    GITTE2001GITTE2001 Posts: 2,638 Member
    Whatever fits their personality.
    A workaholic that didn't reach the top of their career yet, which is their LTW? (which is non-existend in my game where sims are YA for 88 days, but whatever, is possible) I let them continue working.
    Or, when it's an amazing cook that doesn't have any otherwants than to take care of their family, let them help around in the house (kitchen, mainly) just whatever I think fits. But, honestly, it has been ages since any sim reached that stage, and I mostly move them out. But I plan not to do this time.
  • Options
    What happened to @SimplyJen ? :frowning:
  • Options
    GITTE2001GITTE2001 Posts: 2,638 Member
    coco wrote: »

Good question!
  • Options
    coco wrote: »

Oh dear! It must be a mistake! :(
  • Options
    @GITTE2001 I imagine I would have a sim continue to work on their LTW if they hadn't already completed it but most of my sims usually complete them before then. My current save could be different because their lives are so short.
  • Options
    cwaddellcwaddell Posts: 4,960 Member
    edited February 2018
    Leave them to free will with minimal supervision
    Although I chose leave them to free will it's really a combo with 3 others - live-in help, let them pursue their interests and keep them happy. But it's been a long time since I've played an elder, not because I play on a long life span or no aging, I play on normal, but because my games don't seem to last very long any more. I have so many situations I want to try that my attention gets fixed on some other game idea that I flit off to that. Also there are so many breaks in my Sims 3 game playing - RL intervenes or I get a new computer or I go on a building spree, etc. When I come back to playing Sims 3 I'm usually anticipating trying a new town or EP that I haven't explored yet.

My answer is based on my longest played game ( a legacy challenge that only lasted 5 generations) and the fourth generation heiress Kate Lancaster and her husband Marty (Keaton) Lancaster, who had been a vampire but took the cure right before becoming an elder. It's a good thing my general practice is to have a bedroom downstairs for the elders because those 2 spent so much time in it. I might direct Marty to go jump on the trampoline outside, which he loved to do, and I might leave Kate cooking but next thing I notice is Marty interrupting Kate, flirting and then I hear the woohoo chimes. I gave up directing them to do stuff and left them on their on. They pretty much constantly flirted with each other and ended up woohooing 2 or 3 times every day.

ETA: Recently I have downloaded some retirement homes and want to try out moving my elders to one of those sometime.
  • Options
    @cwaddell I know all about woohooing elders! Leave them to freewill (which I do when I am not fulfilling their wishes) and it's their go-to entertainment ;)
  • Options
    bekkasanbekkasan Posts: 10,171 Member

I said other because it depends on the story I'm telling or the save I'm playing if it is not a story save. Some of my elders work for several years after becoming an elder, if they work at all. Many of my families are independently wealthy.

Elder does not mean on the road to death in my games. My elders have very active lives despite their pot bellies and bent over walks that EA gave them. They usually stay in the home and help out in some capacity doing whatever they are good at, gardening, alchemy, cooking, helping with the kids, etc. Some will marry and move out if they don't have a spouse from the beginning of the story.

If they are getting close to death, they move out to the special nursing home (library) Life is sad enough, my game time is not meant to be sad.

Many of my sims are immortal as I play with supernaturals alot so those don't die or become immortal since I don't allow sad things to happen in my games. I do move on to other family members in other towns as part of the progression when I feel I've played them out.
  • Options
    CravenLestatCravenLestat Posts: 13,735 Member
    edited February 2018
    Put an elderly home in my town named after the awesome rest home in the Twilight Zone episode "Kick the can",called Sunnyvale Rest Home.If you know episode in short the guy tells them if they are young at heart they can be young again for real except one crabby old guy thinks they are crazy.Anyway do not want to spoil the episode but in my game I visit it with fountain of youth elixirs from time to time and give one a second chance.

Have sooo many pics of like the elder with his new young wife etc but used a build by @Jessa_Dakkar I added 7 elders from various sim worlds living together having fun.What makes it fun is visiting and making some young again or just hanging out

Ladies heading out it is not a household controlled by me

kXIG9Bj.png

D1Yq4lL.png

Rose Rome from BB playing on the computer and Lucky Perkins from LP just ran outside

BoaStXU.png

My sim was visiting the lot and shortly after this was inspired by the cuteness of their love and threw a FOY elixir at her and was so cute they were so in love.She was young and beautiful again,these are the Monty's from Monte Vista btw

fuLRTUy.png

I do have pics of all this stuff but do not want to blow up the thread.In short make a retirement home in your town fill it with your fave elders and from time to time make some young again.Will try to find the link to Jessa's lot it is really cute

Here is the original Kick The Can episode (Awesome story!!!!!!!) you will love it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFkpw9YQPjo

There is a newer version too in color and modern but same story both are excellent. :heart:

Post edited by CravenLestat on
    I Play Sims 3 On A Potato

DfydFiZ.gif
  • Options
    CravenLestatCravenLestat Posts: 13,735 Member
    edited February 2018
    Here is @Jessa_Dakkar Lot shown above set it up how you want for your retirement home.

Rest Easy Retirement Home *Mine changed name to one from Twilight Zone*

https://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=8691968

In mine added a wall to separate the main living area put a giant screen TV on one side the giant painting on early post is other side

iWSzavg.png

Lucky Perkins from Riverview running off

euIvqUI.png

No spoilers will be added to result of the elixirs but here is my sim throwing fountain of youths but can tell you both!!! these elderly ladies were super cute young :smirk:

Silvia Monty

dKoX2Vt.png

Rose Rome

6PLFBwd.png
    I Play Sims 3 On A Potato

DfydFiZ.gif
  • Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    I'll let you know if I ever decide to age my sims to elder. It has not happened yet ;) At least I can look to this thread for ideas if I ever get to elder
  • Options
    SillyhartluvSillyhartluv Posts: 73 Member
    Every since my sim's abuela died of old age in Sims 2 before he could finish painting her picture, I take my elder sims lifespan very seriously. That means if they ask for it, then I give it to them. One of my current favorites Ashleigh just aged into an elder. I'm going to spoil him rotten :)

Here's a picture of him after I got rid of the pigtails and snazzed him up a bit
    40340828681_09073ba4a5_b.jpg

• Options
    TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    edited February 2018
    I generally move on to another game before my sims age to elder. The most recent time I played an elder was in a challenge (edit: this one). My sim had to reach level 10 of 6 careers in a 90 day lifespan (and earn 6 degrees). He reached level 10 in career 4 and 5 as an elder, died at age 92 (Vegetarian and had completed the Marathon Runner athletic skill challenge). I had given him a death flower in case GR came too early and he finished the challenge 2 days later.
    Post edited by TreyNutz on
  • Options
    AvataritAvatarit Posts: 836 Member
    Move them out (on their own, with other elders or other family members)
    I picked moved them out but that not totally accurate - I just tend to not play with households with elders...
    I play rotational, every time different household, so the elders just getting less focus... I can't help it.
    And regarding my sims that are adults - it takes forever until I age them. When I do - I expect them to retire or to be at the top of their career.