Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

200 Is Not Enough (Increase population limit)

Anyone else feel like 200 is just not enough room for Sims? Once you own the DLC neighborhoods it gets quite empty if you play with families and not just several single Sims. Hope they're looking to increase it because I will not play unlimited because of crashes and stuff and if they keep adding more DLC (since Sims 4 life cycle isn't ending any time soon they said years ago) we need a higher limit otherwise we can't enjoy the game. So many empty houses, so many unplayed Sims.
1. The Sims 2
2. The Sims 3
3. The Sims 4 (5 years later its decent)
4. The Sims 1

Comments

• Options
    Rukola_SchaafRukola_Schaaf Posts: 3,065 Member
    so how do you play if you need more than 200 sims in one game ?

i play rotationally, family after family
    in TS4 i am now at nearly those 200 & realised that i don't like to play some of the families cause they are boring to play, so i plan to move them out of this game to make room for new or the offspings of those families i like to play
    to rotate between 200 sims takes a long time, a very long time

i also think to play rather smaller communities in different set ups of games & fill the houses with those sims which are housed but prone to culling could help with the current limit

& what do you mean by
    So many empty houses, so many unplayed Sims.
    make a new game, put there your unplayed sims & play them there
    fill the empty houses with sims you won't play actively & so not marked as played & therefore probably to be culled at some point
    make businesses & venues for your sims to visit, this limits the number of residential houses even placeable at all considerably
    i am rather running out of space for the families than running out of played/safe from culling sims, TS4 is so small in space but then again, i don't have 3 of the packs which came with new worlds & lots, maybe that makes the difference

i could probably find it interesting to test it if there was a limit of 500 sims

how about a POLL ?

i won't be participating in the forums & the gallery anymore - thanks EA
  • Options
    ldmarkoldmarko Posts: 5,487 Member
    I have mine on unlimited (currently 162 played sims & growing), and so far it's been fine, NPC population has stayed about the same & it still culls the ghosts. The biggest problem I have is running out of room for them all, even with evicting all the non-played households. We really need world packs and/or CAW.
    Gallery ID: LDM2
  • Options
    EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,937 Member
    So you have about 200 sims in My Household section.
    If you won't mind, put the limit to Unlimited. Unlimited means that you can have unlimited amount of sims protected (My Household section) while unprotected sims still get culled. You can change the setting in the Gameplay Options and Manage Households (in Manage Worlds).
    This limit function was put in game because people were having problems with culling (deleting old sims to make room to new).
  • Options
    kalaksedkalaksed Posts: 2,643 Member
    yeah, 200 is just the suggestion. according to threads where people dig into the code, 575 is the number of sims allowed before the game really starts trying to cull some. and 200 is...way below that (also, the number goes up with each expansion or game pack. not so sure on stuff packs). as is, i'm at 200 myself, and on the verge of bumping up to unlimited...

also, for the person asking about why some have so many sims favorited, i doubt anyone really plays 200 sims, but it's nice to see the same (often edited...) townies everywhere and many people get attached to them, esp the ones they edited (i like some of my edited townies so much that i put them up on the gallery, and others seem to enjoy them too. like a dj, two single parents with toddlers (kids aged down so sims could have others to go on toddler play dates with), my 'neohippie and daft punk' and a few others). the two new librarians that just recently spawned for my libraries are actually what's pushing me to go over the 200 sim limit
  • Options
    NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    I actually play with mine set to 80 most of the time. One file is set to 150. All it does is limit culling. The most i have in one played file is 67, and that is after 4 generations. Guess it depends on how you play.
  • Options
    LoveMcQueen5683LoveMcQueen5683 Posts: 3,689 Member
    The limit is 575.
    LR3g0ni.jpg
  • Options
    aujinehaujineh Posts: 454 Member
    Well after I lost some of my sims' friends and cousins I went ahead and set it to unlimited and currently I have four hundred and sixty-something sims in my played games. I don't play with half of them but I don't want my sims friends getting deleted.

Game has not crashed yet either. It sticks sometimes but that was happening before anyhow.
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    edited January 2018
    The limit is 575.

This.

Limit of a given save population before culling starts = 575
    - to override: use a no-culling mod

Default maximum of a given save population that you can protect from culling using Household Management = 200
    - to override: change the limit in your Gameplay settings; this is per-save
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    LumiastaLumiasta Posts: 171 Member
    I put My Households into unlimited and it's currently at 318. So far no problems whatsoever, no crashes, no slowing down, everything runs smoothly. I also keep culling unwanted newly spawned townies regularly, and making sure I save the ones I've edited and want to keep.

It's not so much about wanting to play all 318 sims, it's about having consistent neighborhoods where librarians, gym trainers, nannies etc are the same ones you've met before. 'n the townies wandering around are familiar, creating an image of consistency.
  • Options
    paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    kalaksed wrote: »
    yeah, 200 is just the suggestion. according to threads where people dig into the code, 575 is the number of sims allowed before the game really starts trying to cull some. and 200 is...way below that (also, the number goes up with each expansion or game pack. not so sure on stuff packs). as is, i'm at 200 myself, and on the verge of bumping up to unlimited...

also, for the person asking about why some have so many sims favorited, i doubt anyone really plays 200 sims, but it's nice to see the same (often edited...) townies everywhere and many people get attached to them, esp the ones they edited (i like some of my edited townies so much that i put them up on the gallery, and others seem to enjoy them too. like a dj, two single parents with toddlers (kids aged down so sims could have others to go on toddler play dates with), my 'neohippie and daft punk' and a few others). the two new librarians that just recently spawned for my libraries are actually what's pushing me to go over the 200 sim limit

Those hawt librarians man.
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • Options
    alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member
    You can up the limit right in the settings. I don't understand the complaint.
  • Options
    AmySims09AmySims09 Posts: 1,227 Member
    It's enough for me. My house hold only has 5 played households in. Also in the unplayed households I let the game cull them cos half of them are ghosts anyway and the other half I don't play with.
  • Options
    Stina1701AStina1701A Posts: 1,184 Member
    I have my game on unlimited and I have about 140+ in my favorites and several more in the unfavorites. In my favorites I have ALL housed Sims, both played and unplayed along with several nonhoused Sims/townies that I like and don't want to loose out of the game. I am a bit worried when I get the Pets pack and the Vampire pack which will increase my favorites (because I plan on favoriting ALL the housed Sims from those packs). If the increase is alot or goes too close to the 200 mark, I guess its time to make choices. But until then I am not worried and I find that, at this time in my gameplay, 575 limit is enough.

Personally, as the family trees don't get damaged anymore when culling accurs, I don't mind loosing ghosts and other non favorites Sims.
  • Options
    orkhid22orkhid22 Posts: 2,226 Member
    I'm confused about this post. You can set to unlimited
  • Options
    GodleyjeansGodleyjeans Posts: 336 Member
    I wish we had the option of 350. I don't wanna use unlimited but 200 isn't enough space. 350 would be perfect and it means there's less risk of the game slowing down because you're not using the unlimited option, regardless of the max amount being in the 500 mark.

I've played a few families and already I've hit 102, I've had to cull some of the parents so they aren't littering my game taking up room, it's sad but so are the limited options EA have given us
  • Options
    KingoKingo Posts: 30 Member
    There is no problem when you use unlimited and occasionally delete some unwanted townies right?
  • Options
    Francl27Francl27 Posts: 761 Member
    How do you get that many... do you just manually make new families and put them in the game? Do you play all of them?

That sounds a bit daunting to me, lol.
  • Options
    FKM100FKM100 Posts: 886 Member
    In my case, I have just under 200 'favorite' sims, made up of households I created myself, over time, since I first got Sims 4. I play occasionally with all of them, although not in strict rotation. I have a few true favorites that I play most of the time, but I will occasionally get a fancy to play some other household for a while, just for something different. Mostly the additional sims are there to add flavor and character to my neighborhoods. The reason there are so many is because I tend to create fairly large and rather traditional families - usually, mum, dad, three or four kids and sometimes one or more grandparents. Then, if you add in a pet or two, it's not all that hard to end up with a full house.

The only reason I set my limit at 200 is because of the dire in-game warnings about what will happen if the limit is removed. So I am very interested - and encouraged - to see the reports that these warnings are without foundation. I will try removing the limit in my game and see what actually happens.
  • Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,233 Member
    edited January 2018
    My game gets a population of 400 sims (163 played sims and 237 NPC townies).

Each time MaxisCreator_01 shares a new household, I add the sims as NPC employees. For example, Dino is the mailman.
    More the packs bring new CAS content and add more lots, more I create new sims.

Without forgetting the premade population, Maxis always add new households.
    From Willow Creek to Brindleton Bay, it's already a total of 85 sims including pets.
    Post edited by LeGardePourpre on
  • Options
    BessiebooBessieboo Posts: 199 Member
    Does anyone know if deceased sims are counted in the overall population, I wouldn't like for them to disappear from the family tree.
  • Options
    shandra2183shandra2183 Posts: 212 Member
    I am at 197 sims/pets and am going to switch too unlimited soon. I like rotational play. I play each household for about a sim week. It does take a long time to get through them all but it makes so I don't get bored with a household either. I like it better than just playing one household. I also like to create new sims at times too especially when theres new cas content and new careers.
  • Options
    catitude5catitude5 Posts: 2,537 Member
    You would have very empty towns if you only played with 200 sims. Mine is unlimited.
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    catitude5 wrote: »
    You would have very empty towns if you only played with 200 sims. Mine is unlimited.

The count isn't your total population - it's the limit of the Sims in your favorite households section. You can get more info here: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/905991/culling-relationship-culling-decay-current-status#latest
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    TrimothTrimoth Posts: 418 Member
    200 is way more than enough. if you want more sims make more save files. No thank you!
    tumblr_np609wKvSy1ssn1m9o2_540.jpg

Origin id: trimoth

• Options
    AnthonydyerAnthonydyer Posts: 1,197 Member
    There definitely should be a higher limit. If you don't like it, then impose a lower limit on your game. I am now at 150 sims, but that number will be getting bigger as time goes on.

Does anyone get problems with unlimited? I do have a strong computer. I will set my game soon to unlimited.