Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Holiday Cabin | A Build & Create-A-Sim Contest | [CLOSED]

Comments

• Options
    blacksheba1973blacksheba1973 Posts: 20,326 Member
    ciane wrote: »
    Got room for one more? I haven't simmed in quite awhile. I have a week off in December. Hopefully, I can remember how to navigate CAS. Anyhow, it was good to pop by. I hope that you all are doing well. Happy simming. :)

OOOOhhhhh, so happy to see you and know that you get some time off and can have fun simming soon. Big hugs and lots of happy thoughts your way!

Thanks, hon. Great to see you still here. Hope to be back on in the coming weeks. Take care and big **HUGS** back. :)
    YShQCz1.png
  • Options
    cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
    And, here's my official entry for the build. I had redone the landscaping out front a bit, but the upload pic didn't reflect that; so I kept the old pics in place.

Name/Link to Your Page: ciane https://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/ciane
    Lot name: Grandma’s Get-Away
    Link to Your Lot: https://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=9162626
    Final Price: 32,760 (or close to that)
    Description: Built next to the single moms at 340 Oak Grove Road on a 20x15 lot placed with the world editor, this cabin is reminiscent of Grandma's get-away cabin - the place you, hopefully, went to on holidays to be spoiled, or at least, pampered. No cc. No CAP. No spawners.
    Pictures (4 maximum in this thread): Included in upload and on wordpress.
    roof_up_original.jpg
    Slideshow/Separate Thread Link:
    http://2sim3.wordpress.com/about/gma-getaway/
    List of WANTS that you included in the home:
    - Space to entertain a small group of close friends
    - Open plan kitchen/living area
    - Hardwood floors throughout the main areas
    - Small plants included as part of the decor
    - Reading loft or nook
    - At least 2 items that fit their personality (hints under The Client)Outdoor seating, bookcases, baking and cooking options/variety, lots of plants and flowers and windows
  • Options
    aricaraiaricarai Posts: 8,984 Member
    edited November 2017
    ciane wrote: »
    Happy holidays everyone. I just want to share what I've done here:
    http://2sim3.wordpress.com/about/gma-getaway/

I hope you enjoy the story.

What a nice story @ciane! :mrgreen:
  • Options
    I just need to thank you once again @aricarai for this contest! Not only does it challenge my creativity and keep me in a budget, it forces me to actually play the game!. I stay so focused on the building otherwise that there are things my sims have still never done, and today two of those things were crossed off the list when my sim found and befriended a wild bird and got abducted by aliens! :lol:

I love that feeling @creativemetaphor! There's still so much that I haven't done either and I love when something new happens in game :smile:
  • Options
    Got room for one more? I haven't simmed in quite awhile. I have a week off in December. Hopefully, I can remember how to navigate CAS. Anyhow, it was good to pop by. I hope that you all are doing well. Happy simming. :)

OMG *waves wildly* Hiiiiii m'dear! Long time no see - thank you so much for popping in! Of course there's room for more! The more the merrier! I can't wait to see what you come up with :mrgreen:
  • Options
    Got your entry updated on the first page @ciane! I can't sign into the Sims 3 site (without having to change my password yet AGAIN!), but as soon as I do, big ole rec-a-roo coming your way! :mrgreen:
  • Options
    creativemetaphorcreativemetaphor Posts: 1,543 Member
    Though I'd share the two new events:

Think I'll name him 'Muninn' <3
    theraven.jpg

Ooooh, pretty lights!
    Wait... that isn't the aurora...! :o
    theevent.jpg
  • Options
    cwaddellcwaddell Posts: 4,960 Member
    edited November 2017
    This looks like a fun challenge.

I started building a cabin yesterday but I have a couple of questions -

Do we have to enter a sim as well as a lot?
    If we need to enter a sim can CC that does not transfer be used in the pictures? (I use default replacement skins and eyes and eyebrows that I don't want to remove from my game.)

@ciane great first entry. :) I don't know how you got so much into your build. Looks cozy and cute and I like your back story. I've only gotten the exterior done and I'm already over $17,000.
  • Options
    :lol:@cwaddell I know, right? My first build the shell was over 40k unfurnished!! I've almost gotten my second try down into budget. I've lost a few things I felt okay sacrificing, but I'm really hurting on a few items I think I might need to give up that I really really don't want to! Still, I think I can squeeze a little bit more out of the depreciation before I need to make those final tough decisions.

From the description of the contest, I don't think you have to enter both, it looks like ciane only did the build? Or maybe she just hasn't entered the sim yet. @ciane - are you going to give us Cliff, too?? (I love that name, btw, that's my uncle's name!)

• Options
    cwaddell wrote: »
    This looks like a fun challenge.

I started building a cabin yesterday but I have a couple of questions -

Do we have to enter a sim as well as a lot?
    If we need to enter a sim can CC that does not transfer be used in the pictures? (I use default replacement skins and eyes and eyebrows that I don't want to remove from my game.)

@ciane great first entry. :) I don't know how you got so much into your build. Looks cozy and cute and I like your back story. I've only gotten the exterior done and I'm already over $17,000.

Hi @cwaddell! <3

You don't need to enter a Sim if you don't want to; the build just needs to be past on the Clients' must haves and wants!

Yes, if you'd like to enter a Sim, you can use defaults. I will update the rules!
  • Options
    @aricarai Two Questions

Should we upload the house and the sim separately or can we upload them together? (Or is that what you meant by 'household?' Sorry, the only other Sim I've ever put on the exchange was for your last contest and I did her separate from the houses so I'm not entirely clear on the terms or what they mean.)

Second, will the raven upload also? I want my sim to keep the raven if possible. :)
  • Options
    @aricarai Two Questions

Should we upload the house and the sim separately or can we upload them together? (Or is that what you meant by 'household?' Sorry, the only other Sim I've ever put on the exchange was for your last contest and I did her separate from the houses so I'm not entirely clear on the terms or what they mean.)

Second, will the raven upload also? I want my sim to keep the raven if possible. :)

If you could upload them separately, that would be great. You can upload the Sim as a household or straight from CAS.

Where is the Raven? If it's part of the household or in the inventory, if you upload as a household, it should still be there.
  • Options
    @aricarai thank you! I am so excited right now, build is officially within budget and is exactly everything I wanted it to be!! ( I take back my comment about your brutal budget :lol: )
  • Options
    HidehiHidehi Posts: 1,109 Member

Hi @aricarai,

Bree advertised your holiday cabin contest on 'My Page' and it just looks too good to be missed :) .
    I would definitely love to enter even though you have a whole bunch of awesome builders taking part already.

@ciane, Grandma's Get-away is an absolutely beautiful holiday home, the background story makes a great read and Cliff is such a likeable lad!! ... it definitely gets a big rec from me too <3

• Options
    edited November 2017
    Hidehi wrote: »

Hi @aricarai,

Bree advertised your holiday cabin contest on 'My Page' and it just looks too good to be missed :) .
    I would definitely love to enter even though you have a whole bunch of awesome builders taking part already.

@ciane, Grandma's Get-away is an absolutely beautiful holiday home, the background story makes a great read and Cliff is such a likeable lad!! ... it definitely gets a big rec from me too <3

Howdy doody @Hidehi! Welcome welcome! I can't wait to see what you do <3
  • Options
    WORD OF WARNING!! It isn't just art that appreciates! A few other sneaky items do so as well, mostly from the decor category. For example, the wall rack with the flowery apron does not, but the wall rack with the hat, apron, and handbag *does*! The porridge shelf with hanging spoons and the golden (or is it gilded?) saw from buydebug also appreciate. There may have been at least one more but I can't think of it now.

I just spent about an hour or so going through every piece in the house looking for what was causing my house price to go up! So be careful about that, most of the decor depreciates as expected but a few things don't!
  • Options
    SandraelleSandraelle Posts: 6,146 Member
    edited November 2017
    WORD OF WARNING!! It isn't just art that appreciates! A few other sneaky items do so as well, mostly from the decor category. For example, the wall rack with the flowery apron does not, but the wall rack with the hat, apron, and handbag *does*! The porridge shelf with hanging spoons and the golden (or is it gilded?) saw from buydebug also appreciate. There may have been at least one more but I can't think of it now.

I just spent about an hour or so going through every piece in the house looking for what was causing my house price to go up! So be careful about that, most of the decor depreciates as expected but a few things don't!

That's really good to know @creativemetaphor , I'll have to go around checking all my objects now, lol. Thanks for sharing, and thanks to @ciane for letting us know about the art. :)
    Post edited by Sandraelle on
  • Options
    cwaddellcwaddell Posts: 4,960 Member

Thanks for the warning and to @ciane about the art. I've just redone my cabin and put just about everything I could want in except the art and I'm just over $44,000. I expect after it all depreciates I will need to remove some of the excessive landscaping and decor so that I can get some art in. :)

Although I've thought about my sim's traits and backstory I haven't even started on her yet.

At the rate I'm going it's a good thing we have until January. :)
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    @Sandraelle @cwaddell welcome! I didn't remove the items, but I did replace them from the buy menu with non-appreciated versions, so I just have to not play it anymore before I upload (or if I do, re-replace them).
    At the rate I'm going it's a good thing we have until January.

Agreed!!! I have my Sim(s) created but not all of the outfits are right (and some may change a little from what I have now) so they'll need to get sorted and then pics retaken.
    BOY am I glad that clothing doesn't have a cost/budget!!
    But that'll likely have to wait for the new computer as CAS tends to crash my game, especially when working in the outfits. (And no, still haven't fully settled on which sim I'll use, though I am leaning one direction more and more) In fact, I'll probably upload both even though I'll only enter one in the contest.

So excited to hear about how others' builds/sims are coming along! Who uses inspiration pics? Might be fun to share some. I know I'll scour for pictures and then maybe use one element to draw inspiration from even if my final looks nothing like the picture as a whole, and then there are some pictures I wish I could scan directly into the game! :lol:
  • Options
    OMG! Thanks for the tip @creativemetaphor - no wonder I always have budget issues with those sneaky other pieces that appreciate! How ruuuude!

Also, would love to see people's inspiration pictures :mrgreen:
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Here's one of my inspiration pics, though I won't say which part I was looking at ;)
    hopmynd_small_1200x650.jpg
  • Options
    There's soooo much to look at in that picture - so much beauty everywhere! I LOVE it!
  • Options
    soocoolsimsoocoolsim Posts: 6,262 Member

Great to see all the activity here. Cool new avi and siggy Ari :smiley:
  • Options
    soocoolsim wrote: »
    Great to see all the activity here. Cool new avi and siggy Ari :smiley:

Thank you @soocoolsim! I wanted to get in the festive mood :mrgreen:
  • Options
    @aricarai :open_mouth: I almost didn't recognize you! :)
    Yah, I've been drooling over all the pics I've been googling lately!

*waves* @soocoolsim