Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Holiday Cabin | A Build & Create-A-Sim Contest | [CLOSED]

Comments

• Options
    Odonata68Odonata68 Posts: 1,076 Member
    I'm definitely interested in building a cabin. :) Some of my fondest memories, growing up, was spending time at my grandparents cabin "up north". Not sure I can compete with the awesome builders here, though. o:)
  • Options
    aricaraiaricarai Posts: 8,984 Member
    Everyone - I've amended the criteria for the build portion, making the MUST HAVES more heavily weighted than the WANTS and the bonus/wow factor is now an actual bonus, so will help should other areas lose points.

I hope that makes sense and I will update the first page once I am back to my computer.
  • Options
    creativemetaphorcreativemetaphor Posts: 1,543 Member
    Thanks for clarifying on the floors. I think I tend to see 'wants' as being equivalent to 'must haves' a lot of times. :blush:
  • Options
    SjappielovePaulSjappielovePaul Posts: 4,794 Member
    How does Depreciation work?

I'm certainly interested, maybe even intrigued by this contest haha. I never built on a budget before. Well, starters, but they are very sober when I build them. If I have a source of inspiration and time I'll certainly enter! But I can't make any promisses, sadly.
    Don't forget to take care of yourself every now and then in this big chaotic world!
    pkJ66Kv.png
    Some links that helped me a lot:
    Missing Store Stencils / Free Kiddy Stuff / Daily Deals / Daily Deals Spreadsheets / The Gifting Directory
  • Options
    cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
    edited November 2017
    How does Depreciation work?.

As soon as you use place some items, the price depreciates. When building, I'll save my game and reenter the lot to find that the lot is cheaper even though no time has passed. Wallpapers and floors and walls themselves depreciate in price as well as stuff.

Moving a sim in to upgrade appliances will give you greater depreciation the longer the sim takes to fix things. I think max depreciation is one week; but you will get significant depreciation after 3 days.

Depending on the budget, you can sometimes spend up to 10,000 more. After playing the lot for a few days, you can pick what to keep and what to get rid of to make the budget. I tend to buy everything I might want and then see how much I'm over budget once I've played the house for a week. (Adding things later means you'll have to play longer for the new stuff to depreciate.)

• Options
    Odonata68 wrote: »
    I'm definitely interested in building a cabin. :) Some of my fondest memories, growing up, was spending time at my grandparents cabin "up north". Not sure I can compete with the awesome builders here, though. o:)

Aww, memories - I'm glad this gave you some nostalgia @Odonata68! I've added you to the interested list and I can't wait to see what you do :mrgreen:
  • Options
    How does Depreciation work?

I'm certainly interested, maybe even intrigued by this contest haha. I never built on a budget before. Well, starters, but they are very sober when I build them. If I have a source of inspiration and time I'll certainly enter! But I can't make any promisses, sadly.

I've added you to the interested list m'dear @SjappielovePaul! There's plenty of time and I hope that inspiration strikes! :mrgreen:
  • Options
    ciane wrote: »
    How does Depreciation work?.

As soon as you use place some items, the price depreciates. When building, I'll save my game and reenter the lot to find that the lot is cheaper even though no time has passed. Wallpapers and floors and walls themselves depreciate in price as well as stuff.

Moving a sim in to upgrade appliances will give you greater depreciation the longer the sim takes to fix things. I think max depreciation is one week; but you will get significant depreciation after 3 days.

Depending on the budget, you can sometimes spend up to 10,000 more. After playing the lot for a few days, you can pick what to keep and what to get rid of to make the budget. I tend to buy everything I might want and then see how much I'm over budget once I've played the house for a week. (Adding things later means you'll have to play longer for the new stuff to depreciate.)

Thank you so much for answering this @ciane! :mrgreen:
  • Options
    The front page and interested list have been UPDATED!
  • Options
    ChandsChands Posts: 2,763 Member
    This honestly sounds so amazing! Can't wait to see what everyone comes up with :)
  • Options
    Chands wrote: »
    This honestly sounds so amazing! Can't wait to see what everyone comes up with :)

Thank you so much for stopping by @Chands - would you like to be added to the interested list or will you be a lurky loo - which is totally fine! :mrgreen:
  • Options
    ChandsChands Posts: 2,763 Member
    @aricarai I am most definitely a lurky loo :wink: I have not a single creative bone in my body which is totally cool with me cause I get to appreciate everyone elses talents instead :)
  • Options
    Chands wrote: »
    @aricarai I am most definitely a lurky loo :wink: I have not a single creative bone in my body which is totally cool with me cause I get to appreciate everyone elses talents instead :)

Well if you made your avi and that's anything to go by, I'd say you do have a creative bone somewhere! But lurk away, m'dear :mrgreen:
  • Options
    SjappielovePaulSjappielovePaul Posts: 4,794 Member
    Thanks @ciane :) that will be really helpful indeed!
    Don't forget to take care of yourself every now and then in this big chaotic world!
    pkJ66Kv.png
    Some links that helped me a lot:
    Missing Store Stencils / Free Kiddy Stuff / Daily Deals / Daily Deals Spreadsheets / The Gifting Directory
  • Options
    I'm glad the deadline is nice and far away, I just ordered a brand new computer today! Plenty of RAM to run Sims without crashing! Will be here in about 2 weeks :)
  • Options
    I'm glad the deadline is nice and far away, I just ordered a brand new computer today! Plenty of RAM to run Sims without crashing! Will be here in about 2 weeks :)

Oooh congratulations @creativemetaphor! What kind did you get?
  • Options
    Inspiron 17 5000 laptop with 16GB RAM :mrgreen:
  • Options
    Happy holidays everyone. I just want to share what I've done here:
    http://2sim3.wordpress.com/about/gma-getaway/

I hope you enjoy the story.
  • Options
    @ciane oh how fun!! Wow, and you got it done fast, too!

I'm going to have to start over, my first pass was already up to about 70,000, and even with depreciation I just don't think I can salvage that cost! :lol:
  • Options
    Odonata68Odonata68 Posts: 1,076 Member
    @ciane You're cabin looks great!

I've started on two cabins to see which one I like better. Problem is they're both over $40,000. I'm hoping the depreciation trick works.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    If they are just over 40k, you should be able to get the price down by playing the house for a week @Odonata68, but, I'm sorry @creativemetaphor, there is no way it'll depreciate that much! And, remember that art will appreciate, not depreciate, so add that last.

And, plants will sometimes bump up the price too. So harvest before uploading. ;P
    Post edited by ciane on
  • Options
    Spent most of the day rebuilding and very happy with the result. Working on depreciation now, though still might be a bit high. Also, I ended up making two sims and can't seem to decide between them, so both are working to upgrade the lot :lol:
  • Options
    I just need to thank you once again @aricarai for this contest! Not only does it challenge my creativity and keep me in a budget, it forces me to actually play the game!. I stay so focused on the building otherwise that there are things my sims have still never done, and today two of those things were crossed off the list when my sim found and befriended a wild bird and got abducted by aliens! :lol:
  • Options
    blacksheba1973blacksheba1973 Posts: 20,326 Member
    Got room for one more? I haven't simmed in quite awhile. I have a week off in December. Hopefully, I can remember how to navigate CAS. Anyhow, it was good to pop by. I hope that you all are doing well. Happy simming. :)
    YShQCz1.png
  • Options
    Got room for one more? I haven't simmed in quite awhile. I have a week off in December. Hopefully, I can remember how to navigate CAS. Anyhow, it was good to pop by. I hope that you all are doing well. Happy simming. :)

OOOOhhhhh, so happy to see you and know that you get some time off and can have fun simming soon. Big hugs and lots of happy thoughts your way!