Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

In the next patch, culling will be a thing of the past! (If you so desire)

13...Next

Comments

• Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,579 Member
    It's good news to be certain, but I'm a little worried about just what bugs will be fixed. I really don't care what Sims are wearing, except my own. So, if that's all the team is focusing on, I will be extremely disappointed. What I would like to see fixed, finally, is the Detective Career! Or other real bugs in the game and not something so frivolous as a wardrobe mishap.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    DivieOwlDivieOwl Posts: 1,161 Member
    edited October 2017
    It's good news to be certain, but I'm a little worried about just what bugs will be fixed. I really don't care what Sims are wearing, except my own. So, if that's all the team is focusing on, I will be extremely disappointed. What I would like to see fixed, finally, is the Detective Career! Or other real bugs in the game and not something so frivolous as a wardrobe mishap.

I can't wait for the scale down feature, if we do get it, but I'm not optimistic about bug fixes with this patch. If we do get the scale down feature, culling options, and we get the roofs, I don't think the devs focus will be on bug fixes as they spent most of their time on those new features. I imagine we'll get small bug fixes at best.
  • Options
    kaiwrysimskaiwrysims Posts: 1,532 Member
    DivieOwl wrote: »

I can't wait for the scale down feature, if we do get it, but I'm not optimistic about bug fixes with this patch. If we do get the scale down feature, culling options, and we get the roofs, I don't think the devs focus will be on bug fixes as they spent most of their time on those new features. I imagine we'll get small bug fixes at best.

They've said there will be a lot of bug fixes but they didn't say what was getting fixed.
    Check out my twitter and tumblr
  • Options
    luvdasims55luvdasims55 Posts: 14,649 Member
    i like the elimination of culling. never had it happen to me, as i do my own culling before each play session, but it would be really upsetting if the game culled a sim i had spent months developing.

i'm also not real optimistic about what bugs will be fixed as i'm in agreement that a lot of time had to be already used developing these new features. but hey, fewer bugs are always a good thing. ;)
  • Options
    ohmyohmyohmyohmy Posts: 614 Member
    now i don't have to worry about the game deleting my sims' kids!! o:)
  • Options
    FurSimsOfficialFurSimsOfficial Posts: 2,362 Member
    Funny that this isnt even interesting anymore after using the MC commander for this last 3 years.. EA is far behind. Hope they at least fix some recent BIG bugs too and not wait again for years to fix it.
  • Options
    ArtsyBananaArtsyBanana Posts: 339 Member
    @GalacticGal I agree 100%. They already fixed the 1 game breaking bug that the Doctor Career had which was delivering a baby! They should definitely take a look at the Detective Career finally so that all 3 GTW careers will be playable again ;)
    See what's up in my gallery: Origin ID: ArtsyBanana
    I have finally finished my Legacy Challenge , these are the Levis (numbered by Generation!)
    https://imgur.com/L3Q6aQZ

• Options
    NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    Hopefully the bug fixes are significant this time around. Lately they have not been, so my worry is that they do not know how to fix major ones.
  • Options
    bythedreadwolfbythedreadwolf Posts: 832 Member
    Neia wrote: »
    Great that they are finally addressing this issue but this doesn't solve the problem of random townies constantly being generated, which is just as annoying as culling in my opinion. I seriously hate it that I can't fully control the population of each world, and for the life of me I can't understand why in previous games they did the job filling thing fine without having the need to constantly generate permanent random sims. Just use the ones already created, or simply create one to fill that job at that time and then make them disappear, or at least put them on a "pool" that is not connected to the sims who live in that world, if that makes sense.

That's already the behavior in-game if you have a bigger played population than the culling cap. Hopefully it will be possible with the new culling too, so you could choose 50 Sims for example, tag all your played Sims as important, and the game will delete all the townies very frequently.

That makes sense. I never really played TS4 long enough to have a save reach that many sims, and I would have to have 180 sims marked as played for the game to supposedly stop both townie generation and culling, right? The problem being that culling isn't working like it's supposed to and still affects played households. I had my legacy sim get deleted once when playing rotational.

So if I'm understanding this right, with the new options it will be possible to fully control townie regeneration, as long as it works like it's supposed to. If I choose the 100 limit and create households of my own until it reaches 100 sims and mark all of them as favorite, then the game shouldn't cull anyone and stop generating more townies besides the ones needed for a particular job at a certain time.
  • Options
    luvdasims55luvdasims55 Posts: 14,649 Member
    @GalacticGal I agree 100%. They already fixed the 1 game breaking bug that the Doctor Career had which was delivering a baby! They should definitely take a look at the Detective Career finally so that all 3 GTW careers will be playable again ;)

i agree as well. nothing worse than paying for something and then not have it work as intended. and it's been that way for months! i haven't bought an EP, SP, or GP since. i just don't have any faith that they will stand behind their product. my dad always told me not to throw good money after bad.
  • Options
    CitySimmer16CitySimmer16 Posts: 331 Member
    Totally clueless on what culling is, can someone please explain?
    FFCOojX.gif
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,579 Member
    Gosh, you know I don't seem to be caught up in the whole culling madness. Either that, or I just didn't miss those Sims. :open_mouth: I've never once lost one of my own Sims — now that I would notice. But, I've read plenty of threads where people complain, so I'm very glad EA is doing something about it. And I do very much appreciate them giving us the choice through a toggle. Those seemed to work well in Sims3.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    poeticnebulapoeticnebula Posts: 3,912 Member
    Gosh, you know I don't seem to be caught up in the whole culling madness. Either that, or I just didn't miss those Sims. :open_mouth: I've never once lost one of my own Sims — now that I would notice. But, I've read plenty of threads where people complain, so I'm very glad EA is doing something about it. And I do very much appreciate them giving us the choice through a toggle. Those seemed to work well in Sims3.

I think this effects rotational players the most. I'm a generational player and to be honest I haven't noticed the culling. My theory is that by playing rotational you have more sims created to fill the needs of each family where as I only have one household to generate them for. I think the more households you play the more issues you have of the game needing to make room for newly generated sims. This is just my theory though.
    Origin ID: ForgottenAmber
    Twitch: ForgottenAmber
    Discord: ForgottenAmber

31710852153_4c3c66dea7.jpg

#BobSquad
    #BobSquadForever

Friend of Liam
  • Options
    agustdagustd Posts: 946 Member

I think this effects rotational players the most. I'm a generational player and to be honest I haven't noticed the culling. My theory is that by playing rotational you have more sims created to fill the needs of each family where as I only have one household to generate them for. I think the more households you play the more issues you have of the game needing to make room for newly generated sims. This is just my theory though.

I've noticed that too. Every time I switch a household around 20 new townies appear in the bin, similarly to when I visit a public lot. I used to sort of play rotationally with my legacy before but I had to give up, because even though I installed no culling mods I just couldn't deal with having to constantly delete useless townies :/ So your theory is probably true. Culling wouldn't be so bad, it was designed to get rid of those townies so we don't have to manually delete them but as usual, it was a hot mess. They promised player created sims will remain untouched but didn't even give us a way to flag them just in case and it did not work at all.

I'm so glad they're finally letting people customize their population however they want.
  • Options
    keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

This has to be the best news I have heard about this game so far. Options...I love OPTIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    TerraTerra Posts: 1,353 Member
    Thank God they're finally giving players more options! A few years behind MCCC but it's something!
  • Options
    calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    Come to think of it, I don't think I've witnessed culling in my game because there has never been enough sims in the world.

Now if they invented a townie-killer, I'd buy that!
  • Options
    Rukola_SchaafRukola_Schaaf Posts: 3,065 Member
    edited November 2017
    FINALLY !!!

at least one good thing happening with TS4

now they need to make huge improvement of the traits system & the defintion of traits & i might be inclined to come back to playing this game again

edit

if the devs would add an option for LIMITED SPAWNING OF SIMS also, then the newly generated number of sims wouldn't run amok as warned, but that would be too much to ask to code, right ? :joy:

i won't be participating in the forums & the gallery anymore - thanks EA
  • Options
    MagdaleenaMagdaleena Posts: 973 Member
    There were two reasons I didn't want to get too deeply into a legacy in this game: Lack of toddlers, and culling. Culling that would delete the founders from the family tree at some point. I didn't want that. I didn't even know about MCCC at the time.

The lack of toddlers was corrected early this year, and soon, this other big flaw will be remedied? So that's great. I can't wait.

lil_pixel_boys.png
    they/he
    simblr
  • Options
    TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    We should totally make it a thing after this hits, trying to see who can get the longest loading screen possible. :tongue:
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io