Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Quality over quantity?

Comments

• Options
    comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    FloppyFish wrote: »
    TS1299 wrote: »
    Jaline33 wrote: »
    I've also seen an interesting review on Sims 2 Nighlife saying:
    "A solid expansion, although I really wouldn't call it a must-have because it's a little light on content for its price tag." Considering it's content is the equivalent of The Sims 4 Get Together, Bowling Night, Vampires AND Dine Out made me think if I'm spending my money wisely, what do you guys think about this?

Well, if this is the case then yes, you are indeed wasting your money :D
    I can't say I fully agree (especially not that ts2 vampires = ts4 vampires) but that's irrelevant because it isn't my money being spent on what I deem to be the exact same thing.

In some respects, TS2 were > TS4 vampires. Again: choices. Options. Those two qualities are virtually non-existent in TS4 - we are forced to play how the game wants us to play. In TS2 and TS3, we had options - we could avoid vampires altogether if we wanted to and/or eliminate them from our games. In TS4, all we can do is uninstall the GP which means we also don't get the Build/Buy/CAS stuff.

This is one of the biggest flaws in TS4 regarding quality.

And it was the same with the previous games. I always wonder why do people always think that the developers or The Sims 4 itself always forces us the way we wanted to play, as if the other games in the series didn't so.
    Other games also "forced you to play how the game wants us to play"
    Don't want to follow your sims aspiration in The Sims 2? Your sim is now experiencing an aspiration failure, and it is bad if you wanted to have a story that you are planning. You wanted your baby in Sims 3 to age up to young adult already so you can continue the story you are planning? Oh look your sim has now earned bad traits as punishment in doing that. Why I am forced to train my toddler, and have high grades for my child? Its curfew time, and my child sim is watching a movie in the cinema with his father. I send the child to the park for a moment to use the bathroom, and now here comes the police and the father just punished my child sim without giving me warnings. Why I am forced with that feature? Like vampires, since there is no option to let you notify or even ask you to do punishments or not, the only way to remove it is by uninstalling that 40$ expansion pack. Tell me where is the option to turn off aspiration failure, punishments with aging, and even with curfews with Sims 2 and Sims 3?

You could completely ignore your sims aspiration and not be punished in any way. I know because I rarely have them achieve thier life time aspiration. Sometimes if their aspiration score is low then yes you will get aspiration failure but again not always. I play the sims 2 daily. My sims are not constantly in aspiration failure and I play my game how I want not how the game tells me. If I want my sim to achieve their life time goal it's up to me. It's my choice. I love the freedom of no checklists and no do this and do that to achieve your aspiration.

I do agree sims 3 curfews were annoying. (Sims 2 don't have them) and that sims 3 punishments can be annoying. (Being grounded where you can't leave the house even for school makes no sense) but what I do like is that my sims 3 sims react to bad behaviour. There's no strolling in at 4am having ignored your curfew and cheerily sitting down next to your parents to discuss your fear of vampires whilst your parents completely disregard the fact that you were meant to be home nine hours ago and don't say a word. True story that.

What I love about the earlier games is there are consequences and my characters will react, not always how I want but they will react according to their personalities, when I play the sims 4 it's like: "oh little Johnny has missed curfew again, better go and react Mum and Dad! *clicks punish under parenting* To me while I appreciate the choices (and I do) it doesn't feel right to me that I have to make them. I always think, if they don't care, why the heck should I?

They will care if you make them care. It is so you have choice. Something you just seem so deprived of.

But I just think it's strange I have to go and make them care, I would rather they react. Don't take away the players choice, just have the sim do something rather than just stare at the walls whilst the toddler paints the floor!

I think they made it that way because otherwise there would be nothing in the pack for you to do
    also they react to fighting and kids braking grounding
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Options
    comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    also I don't think the kids getting paint thats washable everywhere is a bad thing they skill up a lot faster that way
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Options
    ShadowmarkedShadowmarked Posts: 1,054 Member
    "A solid expansion, although I really wouldn't call it a must-have because it's a little light on content for its price tag." Considering it's content is the equivalent of The Sims 4 Get Together, Bowling Night, Vampires AND Dine Out made me think if I'm spending my money wisely, what do you guys think about this?

I can't say I fully agree (especially not that ts2 vampires = ts4 vampires) but that's irrelevant because it isn't my money being spent on what I deem to be the exact same thing.

In some respects, TS2 were > TS4 vampires. Again: choices. Options. Those two qualities are virtually non-existent in TS4 - we are forced to play how the game wants us to play. In TS2 and TS3, we had options - we could avoid vampires altogether if we wanted to and/or eliminate them from our games. In TS4, all we can do is uninstall the GP which means we also don't get the Build/Buy/CAS stuff.

And it was the same with the previous games. I always wonder why do people always think that the developers or The Sims 4 itself always forces us the way we wanted to play, as if the other games in the series didn't so.
    Don't want to follow your sims aspiration in The Sims 2? Your sim is now experiencing an aspiration failure, and it is bad if you wanted to have a story that you are planning. You wanted your baby in Sims 3 to age up to young adult already so you can continue the story you are planning? Oh look your sim has now earned bad traits as punishment in doing that. Why I am forced to train my toddler, and have high grades for my child? Its curfew time, and my child sim is watching a movie in the cinema with his father. I send the child to the park for a moment to use the bathroom, and now here comes the police and the father just punished my child sim without giving me warnings. Why I am forced with that feature? Like vampires, since there is no option to let you notify or even ask you to do punishments or not, the only way to remove it is by uninstalling that 40$ expansion pack. Tell me where is the option to turn off aspiration failure, punishments with aging, and even with curfews with Sims 2 and Sims 3?

You could completely ignore your sims aspiration and not be punished in any way. I know because I rarely have them achieve thier life time aspiration. Sometimes if their aspiration score is low then yes you will get aspiration failure but again not always. I play the sims 2 daily. My sims are not constantly in aspiration failure and I play my game how I want not how the game tells me. If I want my sim to achieve their life time goal it's up to me. It's my choice. I love the freedom of no checklists and no do this and do that to achieve your aspiration.

I do agree sims 3 curfews were annoying. (Sims 2 don't have them) and that sims 3 punishments can be annoying. (Being grounded where you can't leave the house even for school makes no sense) but what I do like is that my sims 3 sims react to bad behaviour. There's no strolling in at 4am having ignored your curfew and cheerily sitting down next to your parents to discuss your fear of vampires whilst your parents completely disregard the fact that you were meant to be home nine hours ago and don't say a word. True story that.

What I love about the earlier games is there are consequences and my characters will react, not always how I want but they will react according to their personalities, when I play the sims 4 it's like: "oh little Johnny has missed curfew again, better go and react Mum and Dad! *clicks punish under parenting* To me while I appreciate the choices (and I do) it doesn't feel right to me that I have to make them. I always think, if they don't care, why the heck should I?

They will care if you make them care. It is so you have choice. Something you just seem so deprived of.

But I just think it's strange I have to go and make them care, I would rather they react. Don't take away the players choice, just have the sim do something rather than just stare at the walls whilst the toddler paints the floor!

I feel like since parenthood lets you pick your own rules and cerfews to an extent you have already made a choice by doing that and they shouldn't need another reminder to react to the rules you/they set.
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    BeJaWa wrote: »

I feel like since parenthood lets you pick your own rules and cerfews to an extent you have already made a choice by doing that and they shouldn't need another reminder to react to the rules you/they set.

But that's the thing I'm not making a choice; the game is doing it for me. My sim was chatting to her neighbours. All good and well, toddler appears and pours paint all around her. My sim doesn't even do that shocked reaction they do at certain things. Just completely ignores it.

That's not how I want her to react. She's meant to be a strict mom. Not the type to go "whatever! Carry on dear!"

Her doing nothing but continue to talk isn't making me feel in control. It'd taking control away from me. As a storyteller if I'm telling a story, I can't capture that moment with the reaction I would want. I have to manipulate it by getting her to look shocked at something completely irrelevant and pretending she is shocked at the toddler's antics. Basically I have to give her a basic reaction and I don't like it. Don't decide the punishment if any off the player but a reaction would be nice. Parents react to certain things like playing in the toilet, I just don't understand why making a mess is ignored.
  • Options
    edited September 2017

But that's the thing I'm not making a choice; the game is doing it for me. My sim was chatting to her neighbours. All good and well, toddler appears and pours paint all around her. My sim doesn't even do that shocked reaction they do at certain things. Just completely ignores it.

That's not how I want her to react. She's meant to be a strict mom. Not the type to go "whatever! Carry on dear!"

Her doing nothing but continue to talk isn't making me feel in control. It'd taking control away from me. As a storyteller if I'm telling a story, I can't capture that moment with the reaction I would want. I have to manipulate it by getting her to look shocked at something completely irrelevant and pretending she is shocked at the toddler's antics. Basically I have to give her a basic reaction and I don't like it. Don't decide the punishment if any off the player but a reaction would be nice. Parents react to certain things like playing in the toilet, I just don't understand why making a mess is ignored.

I was agreeing with you :) If we have a set a rule we shouldn't have to enforce it again, and parents should at least react expression wise to ill behaved kids.
  • Options

I was agreeing with you :) If we have a set a rule we shouldn't have to enforce it again, and parents should at least react expression wise to ill behaved kids.

Whoops apologies, I think I missed the point you were making. I understand now.
  • Options
    FloppyFishFloppyFish Posts: 3,881 Member

If they automatically reacted you wouldn't be able to make each parent feel unique. If the game automatically punished every child who did X the same way, every parent would be the same old type of parent. There would be no laid back parents, no strict ones, no inbetweens, unless that was the default. Do you really want that?
    Mafia Stats
    Games Played: 14 | Games Won: 8 | Games Lost: 6
    Times Town: 9 | Times Mafia: 2 | Times 3rd: 2
    Town Wins: 6 | Mafia Wins: 1 | 3rd Wins: 1
    Deaths: 8

• Options

If they automatically reacted you wouldn't be able to make each parent feel unique. If the game automatically punished every child who did X the same way, every parent would be the same old type of parent. There would be no laid back parents, no strict ones, no inbetweens, unless that was the default. Do you really want that?

No im not expecting them to punish. I've said several times I don't want that. As it is every parent does act the same I.e no reaction. Don't believe me? Have 5 parents and 5 toddlers, have the toddlers make a mess. Watch the parents... do NOTHING. No look of surprise, no look in alarm, nothing to even indicate they have witnessed the behaviour. Imagine even if a fire broke out and your sims didn't acknowledge it but just carried on doing whatever they were doing completely ignoring the cooker alight. It's like that.

Let the player punish or not but don't just have the sims stare like lumps of clay completely oblivious to their surroundings.
  • Options

No im not expecting them to punish. I've said several times I don't want that. As it is every parent does act the same I.e no reaction. Don't believe me? Have 5 parents and 5 toddlers, have the toddlers make a mess. Watch the parents... do NOTHING. No look of surprise, no look in alarm, nothing to even indicate they have witnessed the behaviour. Imagine even if a fire broke out and your sims didn't acknowledge it but just carried on doing whatever they were doing completely ignoring the cooker alight. It's like that.

Let the player punish or not but don't just have the sims stare like lumps of clay completely oblivious to their surroundings.

They react when you scold / punish them.
    Mafia Stats

• Options

You are missing the point.
  • Options

What exactly IS your point? If you want them to react, MAKE them. They will REACT when they scold / punish their child.
    Mafia Stats

• Options
    I've already said my point. Re read my posts. There is a zero acknowledgement to certain behaviours. As the previous poster said also parents should react expression wise to ill behaved kids. Right now they don't on all behaviours.

Don't want to go off topic further.
  • Options

What exactly IS your point? If you want them to react, MAKE them. They will REACT when they scold / punish their child.

I myself was thinking that with the pack you can set your own curfew with the bulletin board. (correct me if I'm wrong I don't own it myself) That means you as a player set this rule already. You already said yes the parents have this rule and yet from what I have read they will not scold any child that breaks said rule unless you force them to. Same with if the kids are grounded or something like that, even though you as the player have already taken actions in game to indicate that this is a rule you want to see, the game still will not react unless you force it too.

I was just as annoyed with how ts3 did automatic rules that parents scolded kids for but I feel like if with the builtin board you as the player chose the rule then that is an indication that the game should automatically follow that rule unless given a command not to.

Unless I have the board wrong but I seem to remember it being mentioned that you used it to set curfews and stuff.

Also adults in general react to kids being bad. I don't mean for the sims they que up an action to punish or scold their kids I mean just an animation or something from other adults/parents around that are showing that they realize that the kids aren't being the best behaved. I mean in real life if a kid starts to throw stuff around and make a huge mess even though a parent may not scold the kid or a visitor won't comment you might see raised eyebrows/shocked expressions or a sigh of exasperation from parents.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member

I think the point is there has to be a balance between autonomous behaviour and player controlled behaviour? If the game doesn't give any input at all, it's not a game anymore. If there is too much controlled by the game the same goes. There has to be a balance.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options

I myself was thinking that with the pack you can set your own curfew with the bulletin board. (correct me if I'm wrong I don't own it myself) That means you as a player set this rule already. You already said yes the parents have this rule and yet from what I have read they will not scold any child that breaks said rule unless you force them to. Same with if the kids are grounded or something like that, even though you as the player have already taken actions in game to indicate that this is a rule you want to see, the game still will not react unless you force it too.

I was just as annoyed with how ts3 did automatic rules that parents scolded kids for but I feel like if with the builtin board you as the player chose the rule then that is an indication that the game should automatically follow that rule unless given a command not to.

Unless I have the board wrong but I seem to remember it being mentioned that you used it to set curfews and stuff.

Also adults in general react to kids being bad. I don't mean for the sims they que up an action to punish or scold their kids I mean just an animation or something from other adults/parents around that are showing that they realize that the kids aren't being the best behaved. I mean in real life if a kid starts to throw stuff around and make a huge mess even though a parent may not scold the kid or a visitor won't comment you might see raised eyebrows/shocked expressions or a sigh of exasperation from parents.

That's exactly how the bulletin board works. The only people who react for breaking curfew is the teens children and toddlers themselves. I.e I've had toddlers be in their back garden after curfew or literally standing at the front door and it's breaking curfew so their responsibility is taking a hit. Parents care if you make them.
    I miss the sims 2 and 3 where sneaking back in after curfew meant avoiding mum or dad as they would be ready with a telling off.

Part I've highlighted is exactly what I mean! Thankyou. I don't Understand why such a fundamental thing was left out. I have visions if we ever get the burglar back the sims will just stand there vacant and we have to tell them to react to that too. I dread how pets will be. Little Fido will be destroying the furniture whilst Mum sits there completely oblivious.

Thank you @JoAnne65! Yes a balance is sorely needed. At the moment the game feels less game like and more like "Make a scene"

• Options
    AmiutzaAmiutza Posts: 1,796 Member
    How are your parents not reacting to toddlers and how do i make mine stop lol. If a toddler is being defiant he instantly gets scolded in my game. I can go further, if I choose to, and chose an extra parenting option, strict, firm, etc. And my sims are obsessed with watching their toddlers, I need to make sure they always have something else to do :lol:

I love parenting. I now need Generations, Seasons and University. Everything else will be a pleasant bonus to me. I'm quite satisfied with the game in general. Sure, there were things I wish would have been done better (im looking at you gtw and apartments), but I'm like that with every game I play.
    hhHD2XB.png
    My tumblr - A world of clutter and color
  • Options
    Amiutza wrote: »
    How are your parents not reacting to toddlers and how do i make mine stop lol. If a toddler is being defiant he instantly gets scolded in my game. I can go further, if I choose to, and chose an extra parenting option, strict, firm, etc. And my sims are obsessed with watching their toddlers, I need to make sure they always have something else to do :lol:

I love parenting. I now need Generations, Seasons and University. Everything else will be a pleasant bonus to me. I'm quite satisfied with the game in general. Sure, there were things I wish would have been done better (im looking at you gtw and apartments), but I'm like that with every game I play.

Lo they scold or show reaction to certain things I've noticed, playing in the toilet and throwing their food off the high chair always gets a reaction. Which is good. Ive just noticed the "bigger things" like throwing paint around and curfew get ignored as presumably that's the player that has to make them react. I just wish there was a animation response for those things too. It wouldn't mean taking control from us, just something to indicate the sims recognise what's going on around them.

I like parenthood, I wouldn't play without it. And I've noticed recently there's less autonomous checking on toddlers and now they go to "watch" instead which I'm guessing was tuned in a patch.
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member

Some elements need to be integrated beyond the player initiating the interaction. A parent should respond to their child's behavior autonomously IMO (whether it be good or bad), and how they respond should be determined by their own personality traits.

Giving the player the choice is great, but the AI should be capable of rationalizing a response itself. That unpredictability, within reason, is what makes the game entertaining and relatable.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited September 2017
    People have very short memories. If you are trying to compare GT with Nightlife in TS2 I'm going to have to lay down and laugh for awhile.
    Nightlife brought ownable cars to the series. Omg, that's worth buying right there you silly Sims. :o Before NL you had to call a cab and wait...., take a bath and wait on a cab, also, There Wasn't a Walk to Lot feature until two years later! So, if you missed work carpool or school bus you could not leave the lot and go on to those places. Geez, short memories indeed.

Also, NL compared to GT is laugable because for the first time Ever, it introduced a chemistry attraction system. This changed why your Sims loved or had a crush on someone...likes and dislikes. Which changed their personality of who they would prefer to hang with. They don't just laugh and talk with anyone anymore (except in TS4, hello) they refuse to talk or listen begrudgingly to another Sim if their attraction is Xed out and they have no interest in that Sim. Give me a break.

It introduced playable vampires and the Count and Countess, what did you get as a character in GT? Nothing.

Omg, it introduced new features that people think were in build mode (build features) since base game..not. It introduced new part time jobs, new aspirations (how many did you get with GT?) new careers, new walk styles, autononously, and many more new interacations. The gameplay is not 'stuff' but what depth it brings to a game's core. I don't know anyone who would uninstall NL in TS2 and say yes, I don't need it. I doubt that. And that isn't even a drop in bucket of all the new features it added to game. GT added a group system already in game only expanded. NL is the father of the 'group system'. :D (Manage groups in phone and they all go together) .......And restaurants...if anyone can't remember what a big deal that was or a DJ or the Karoake machine, then you have bad memories. o:) And real dating, no to do list.

And biggest deal Subhood added you could have as many downtowns as you wanted. Uni was a closed off system for YAs so NL addding subhood feature is a big fat deal. And new world.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    People have very short memories. If you are trying to compare GT with Nightlife in TS2 I'm going to have to lay down and laugh for awhile.
    Nightlife brought ownable cars to the series. Omg, that's worth buying right there you silly Sims. :o Before NL you had to call a cab and wait...., take a bath and wait on a cab, also, There Wasn't a Walk to Lot feature until two years later! So, if you missed work carpool or school bus you could not leave the lot and go on to those places. Geez, short memories indeed.

Also, NL compared to GT is laugable because for the first time Ever, it introduced a chemistry attraction system. This changed why your Sims loved or had a crush on someone...likes and dislikes. Which changed their personality of who they would prefer to hang with. They don't just laugh and talk with anyone anymore (except in TS4, hello) they refuse to talk or listen begrudgingly to another Sim if their attraction is Xed out and they have no interest in that Sim. Give me a break.

It introduced playable vampires and the Count and Countess, what did you get as a character in GT? Nothing.

Omg, it introduced new features that people think were in build mode (build features) since base game..not. It introduced new part time jobs, new aspirations (how many did you get with GT?) new careers, new walk styles, autononously, and many more new interacations. The gameplay is not 'stuff' but what depth it brings to a game's core. I don't know anyone who would uninstall NL in TS2 and say yes, I don't need it. I doubt that. And that isn't even a drop in bucket of all the new features it added to game. GT added a group system already in game only expanded. NL is the father of the 'group system'. :D (Manage groups in phone and they all go together) .......And restaurants...if anyone can't remember what a big deal that was or a DJ or the Karoake machine, then you have bad memories. o:) And real dating, no to do list.

And biggest deal Subhood added you could have as many downtowns as you wanted. Uni was a closed off system for YAs so NL addding subhood feature is a big fat deal. And new world.

1. Yes it introduced vampires but is it any better compared to the Vampires Game Pack?
    2. Expansion should not just add just new game play, but expand what is already there. Get Together expanded the grouping system, resulting for people who play Sims 4 to have the most advanced and sandbox grouping system that is ever created on this franchise. The Clubs add more depth to the games core, this is why many simmers find this expansion pack a game changer.
    3. When it comes to Get Together and Nightlife, They both have different themes and focus. Of course Nightlife is going to have Turn on and Turn offs because one of the focus of the pack is dating, and dating is not in the main focus of Get Together.
  • Options

I completely agree! Not to mention we got bowling, restaurants and dates with consequences. Not to mention group outings could get you rewards. I love the sims 2 group system. I prefer it over clubs as group outings were spontaneous, fun and unpredictable. The club system for me is a scripted system designed to manipulate sims and their emotions to certain degrees.
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    I have been seeing a lot of comments saying the packs have more quality because of less quantity compared to the previous versions of The Sims. But is that really true? I went to Metacritic to see it for myself. I compared the EPs with similar themes.

The Sims 2 Open for Business:78 / User Score: 8.6
    The Sims 3 Ambitions: 74 / User Score: 7.2
    The Sims 4 Get to Work: 73 / User Score: 5.9

The Sims 2 Nightlife: 76 / User Score: 6.7
    The Sims 3 Late Night: 74 / User Score: 6.4
    The Sims 4 Get Together: 72 / User Score: 7.3

Well. I could continue but you can already see where this is going, I've also seen an interesting review on Sims 2 Nighlife saying:

Keep in mind that EA only cares about the Metacritic PRO scores - not the user scores.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member

1. Yes it introduced vampires but is it any better compared to the Vampires Game Pack?
    2. Expansion should not just add just new game play, but expand what is already there. Get Together expanded the grouping system, resulting for people who play Sims 4 to have the most advanced and sandbox grouping system that is ever created on this franchise. The Clubs add more depth to the games core, this is why many simmers find this expansion pack a game changer.
    3. When it comes to Get Together and Nightlife, They both have different themes and focus. Of course Nightlife is going to have Turn on and Turn offs because one of the focus of the pack is dating, and dating is not in the main focus of Get Together.
    I think this is where different playing styles come in. I expect new gameplay, new things to do from an expansion. Expanding existing gameplay for me is neat but not enough. And in GT's case it just canalized very limited - and therefore boring - gameplay, that continued to be boring. I'm glad the team seems to have chosen a different approach lately (vampires in fact are an example of that, they are great because they added actual gameplay for them).
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited September 2017

I strongly disagree with what you say in #2. The group system does not build up relationships...TS2's group system does. And though you tell all your Sims in TS4 to do something together they may not, and really it works about the same as NL's group system in that regard. Try getting a large group to play chess at one time on any community lot in TS4...some won't be doing that. Nor will they all be dancing at a club, etc. And more importantly they aren't close friends by just hanging in their group, are they? TS2's NL builds relationships where TS4 does not.

ETA: The reason I laughed about comparing NL to GT is because the OP gave stats comparing the two to each other. It's like apples and oranges.
  • Options
    TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member

I strongly disagree with what you say in #2. The group system does not build up relationships...TS2's group system does. And though you tell all your Sims in TS4 to do something together they may not, and really it works about the same as NL's group system in that regard. Try getting a large group to play chess at one time on any community lot in TS4...some won't be doing that. Nor will they all be dancing at a club, etc. And more importantly they aren't close friends by just hanging in their group, are they? TS2's NL builds relationships where TS4 does not.

ETA: The reason I laughed about comparing NL to GT is because the OP gave stats comparing the two to each other. It's like apples and oranges.

You may disagree because for you its not but for me it is a game changer. For you it did not add depth, for me it is. In my point of view it improved the grouping system by adding a sandbox tool in which the fun is defined by the things that the player do with it. For me that is depth. In terms of building relationships, Yes it does not build up relationship like Sims 2 group system does, but this is what also happening in real life. In the game or RL, if you are in the group you will not form a relationship in every action you do with your group. Relationship with other sim only raises if you interact with them. With the GT grouping system, that is what happen. Remember that the theme of this expansion pack was about social life, and to have a social life you have to build a relationship by interacting/talking with that specific sim, and not by doing actions together.