Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Changes to minimum requirements for Cats & Dogs expansion pack

Comments

• Options
    sunman502sunman502 Posts: 18,325 Member
    vronnie67 wrote: »
    I can't wait until it is released! I am so excited!!! My computer is so very ready for it!
    That's awesome! :)<3
  • Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    edited September 2017
    sunman502 wrote: »
    I was looking at the specs of an Accer PC that I saw at Walmart earlier today. It had a 4 gig RAM. And I was thinking so under power for Cats & Dogs. Because if I remember right, 8 gig RAM is needed to run Cats & Dogs with the base game installed.

No, it's "at least 4 GB RAM" given as the minimum. The game does, however, seem to run better in 64-bit if you have 6 to 8 GB RAM, based on reports here, all else being equal, and I would strongly advise at least 6 GB for this EP, since you won't be able to fall back to 32-bit.

@luthienrising you need to have at least 8gb computer ram. 4gb to run the game and you need more ram to run windows origin , processor and other programs. 6gb might be fine if someone has windows 7 but if you have windows 8 and 10 you need 8gb computer ram or more. This is for people who have dedicated video cards. If your computer is integrated video card processor chances are they will fall behind playing the game

PS I had put a whole explanation on the first page of your thread how 32 bit and 64 bit version of the game works and how ram gets used with the game
    The Accer that I saw has Windows 10 for an OS. But only has a 4 gig RAM. So you do not need an 8 gig Ram in order to run Windows 10. Otherwise the Accer that I saw would have had an 8 gig RAM in it. And it also was a 64 bit. But like I have said, you need 8 gigs to run both the base game and Cats & Dogs. I said 8 gigs to be on the safe side of things when it comes to running this game with all it's Packs installed.

No. You need 4gb just to run the game. You need EXTRA ram to run windows, origin , your processor and other programs while running the game at the same time. You need 8gb computer ram to run all that. If your computer only has 4 gb ram total you will no longer be able to run this game. You wont have enough ram for the game plus the other things you have to run

When they put out ram requirements for a game its for the game ONLY. You need extra ram to run every thing else

In general windows 8 and 10 will use more computer ram than windows 7
    The game requirements at it's minimum is only 2 gig RAM. That's what it reads on the back of my game case as far as RAMs go. So you really don't even need 4 gigs of RAM to just run the base game. You just need 2 gigs to run the base game alone. If a player that has just the base game and C & D would probably be just fine with 6 gig RAM if they run the game on 32 bits instead of 64 bits.

No. EA changed the specs for minimum requirements to 4gb ram. That is what this thread is about. They can change it whenever they want. Does not matter what is on your box. I'm sorry but what your posting is going to confuse people thinking they can run this game on 2gb computer ram. This game will not run on 2gb ram. I know. I have helped several people in tech who want to play on a tablet with 2 gb ram and the game wont run. It does not run well on 4gb computer ram total for many either.

If you play the 32 bit version of the game, the game can not aces more than 3.5 gb computer ram total. Because they upped the minimum ram to 4gb you cant play the 32 bit version of the game if it can only access 3.5 gb ram.
    Not with the base game, and Cats & Dogs installed they won't. They will need at least 4 gigs of RAM, like what was officially been stated.
    I'm sitting wondering what it is about the game that they have changed to make them raise the minimum requirements for it. They must have changed something otherwise there wouldn't be any need for the requirements change.

We are trying to find out if ea will get rid of the 32 bit version of the game once they add cats and dogs. The Bottom line people want to survive this game they need to meet recommended requirements. Im sure this new ep will effect video card and processor too not just the ram.

The game is on loan from EA. You don't own it. You just pay to have the right to use it. They could take it away whenever they want. Change the specs etc.
    That's pretty obvious since EA owns the copyrights to the game. In other words, they own the game.
    I have stated several times in the past that since EA owns the game. They can change any part of it including the end users agreement which is what we all get to read and adhere too before the use of the product. And not tell any one about the changes.
    Since I don't work for EA or Maxis, I can't say for certain if this is EA's attempt at ditching the 32 bit part of the game. We have to remember that this is EA that we are talking about. And they are not always clear about what their intention are on somethings. So this may or may not be an attempt to ditch the 32 bit part of the game.
    There is a third factor to consider here: This may be nothing at all except that they had did something in Cats & Dogs that had forced them to raise the minimum requirements causing some of us to over react just a bit. Which is perfectly normal, and understandable because we are treading new waters here. I remember back when they first released the requirements for the base game. Even back then some of us were a bit nervous over getting the base game to run on their PC's. The same can be said in this situation. We just need to relax, and wait until after Cats & Dogs comes out. And then see if the game will run or not. It is not the end of the world.

It's not new waters they did this with the sims 3. Not the ram since the whole game is 32 bit but video card and processor requirements went up and up. Especially video card. This is why I expect the processor and video card for this new ep to be effected. Not just the ram

They even changed the base minimum before on TS4 when MS was no longer supporting XP or vista. Believe it or not we still get a few of those that have 10 year old computer trying to run the game and they cant.

The base game requirements they first put out for TS4 is ridiculous . Its night and day from minimum to recommended. They never should have put those base game requirements on the box. They did this to TS3 too.

They can get rid of the 32 bit. I don't know if they will for anything added to the game prior to cats and dogs. It would be the end of the world to some who are not paying attention to the requirement change and they find out they can no longer run the game at all. If they can't at least play the packs, Gs and EPs they are already "Renting" ,this forum would be in complete chaos. Poor EA customer service too etc.
    It's not whether or not that they should or shouldn't put those minimum requirements specs on the back of the game case. They do so out of courtesy for the consumers. The consumer that picks up the game case may know what the specs of their PC is already when they go to look at those specs that on the back of the case. So rather than have the consumer buy the game, and take it home just to find out if it will run on their PC or not. It's best to put those minimum game requirements specs on the case so that the consumer will know right then if the game will or won't run on their PC.
    I'm fully aware that some of us might be trying to get this game to run on a PC that's either an XP or Vista. In my very first post on here, I had commented that I hope that no one is trying to run this game on a PC with an OS that's older than Windows 7 meaning that I'm fully aware of the possibility of this.
    What I meant by new waters was not that they had raised the requirements for the game. They have been doing that since S1. No, what I meant by that was that they have raisin the minimum requirements even higher. There has never been a minimum requirements of 4 gig RAMs on a Sims game before that I know. That's what I meant by new waters.

My point was the base game minimum requirements should not be that low compared to the higher recommended retirements. You go on any steam game and the minimum compared to recommended on most PC games does not have a HUGE jump from minimum to recommended like sims games. EA knows no one plays just the base game. The base game is just a hook to get you to buy more eps, packs and gps. I know so many people who own everything for the sims 3 including the whole store. The base game requirements are useless if you add to the game. The base game is useless without all the add ons. The game would eventually get very boring.

I don't know what your point is about this and testing the waters. No sims game ever had 64 bit version of the game. You need a 64 bit version of windows to access a full 4gb of ram or more the game needs. Why would they raise the base game ram on the sims 3 when it's only 32 bit version of the game. The sims 3 can never user more than 3.5 gb ram total no matter how much you add to the game
  • Options
    djacquelynstewdjacquelynstew Posts: 641 Member
    I was hoping someone could tell me if my newly purchased gaming desktop will be able to run the sims, keeping in mind additional expansions as they develop. (The sims games are the only games that I play).

I have both an all in one desktop (it started to run slowly after pets 3), I did install Sims 4, but I never played much on it with the sims 4. And a laptop which is about 3 years old and in pretty decent shape still. I started playing on my Laptop since I always have it with me (I travel a lot). I have noticed after the City life I started to get a lot of drag when playing the sims, and even more of a creeping with this latest patch, so coming across this post really caught my attention (Thank you original poster), and made me pay attention, so to speak. I had been seriously considering a new desktop for awhile, since mine is about 8 years old now. And because I do love the sims (I'm hoping the sims 4 will really pick up with increased expansion packs/game/stuff packs), I took the plunge and purchased a gaming desktop.

it is a "iBuyPower" gaming Desktop, specs listed below:

Oculus ready
    Leading the way in innovation, these award winning systems use the latest technology, meeting the recommended spec for the Oculus Rift Headset and driving high performance gaming in both VR and in traditional PC gaming.

Windows 10 operating system
    Windows 10 brings back the Start Menu from Windows 7 and introduces new features, like the Edge Web browser that lets you markup Web pages on your screen.

7th Gen Intel® Core™ i7-7700 processor
    Powerful quad-core, eight-way processing performance.

16GB system memory for intense multitasking and gaming
    Reams of high-bandwidth DDR4 RAM to smoothly run your graphics-heavy PC games and video-editing applications, as well as numerous programs and browser tabs all at once.

1TB hard drive and 120GB solid state drive (SSD) for a blend of storage space and speed
    The hard drive provides ample storage, while the SSD delivers faster start-up times and data access.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 graphics
    Driven by 3GB dedicated video memory to quickly render high-quality images for videos and games.

:) Thanks for any reply...
  • Options
    DivieOwlDivieOwl Posts: 1,161 Member
    edited September 2017
    I was hoping someone could tell me if my newly purchased gaming desktop will be able to run the sims, keeping in mind additional expansions as they develop. (The sims games are the only games that I play).

I have both an all in one desktop (it started to run slowly after pets 3), I did install Sims 4, but I never played much on it with the sims 4. And a laptop which is about 3 years old and in pretty decent shape still. I started playing on my Laptop since I always have it with me (I travel a lot). I have noticed after the City life I started to get a lot of drag when playing the sims, and even more of a creeping with this latest patch, so coming across this post really caught my attention (Thank you original poster), and made me pay attention, so to speak. I had been seriously considering a new desktop for awhile, since mine is about 8 years old now. And because I do love the sims (I'm hoping the sims 4 will really pick up with increased expansion packs/game/stuff packs), I took the plunge and purchased a gaming desktop.

Oculus ready
    Leading the way in innovation, these award winning systems use the latest technology, meeting the recommended spec for the Oculus Rift Headset and driving high performance gaming in both VR and in traditional PC gaming.

Windows 10 brings back the Start Menu from Windows 7 and introduces new features, like the Edge Web browser that lets you markup Web pages on your screen.

Reams of high-bandwidth DDR4 RAM to smoothly run your graphics-heavy PC games and video-editing applications, as well as numerous programs and browser tabs all at once.

1TB hard drive and 120GB solid state drive (SSD) for a blend of storage space and speed
    The hard drive provides ample storage, while the SSD delivers faster start-up times and data access.

Driven by 3GB dedicated video memory to quickly render high-quality images for videos and games.

The specs are fine for the new EP. You're SSD drive (likely C drive) is very small. I wouldn't put anything on it and instead direct everything to your 1TB drive instead.
  • Options
    @djacquelynstew Your computer meets all requirements to run the whole game . You will have to install the game on your second hard drive which should be D drive. Your main hard drive is too small to game on. You should also redirect you documents folder to d drive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYfNmGnbxNw
  • Options
    DivieOwl wrote: »

Oculus ready

The specs are fine for the new EP. You're SSD drive (likely C drive) is very small. I wouldn't put anything on it and instead direct everything to your 1TB drive instead.

Thank you. This makes me happy! I'm ready to give my sims some pets now!
  • Options
    @djacquelynstew Your computer meets all requirements to run the whole game . You will have to install the game on your second hard drive which should be D drive. Your main hard drive is too small to game on. You should also redirect you documents folder to d drive

OMG, @phoebebebe13 , you are the best o:) ...my next question was going to be, how do I redirect it. You are good <3 Thank you!
  • Options
    edited September 2017

OMG, @phoebebebe13 , you are the best o:) ...my next question was going to be, how do I redirect it. You are good <3 Thank you!

Your very welcome. Enjoy your game :) If you need help installing the game on D drive ask user @Dekay
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    tobumon wrote: »
    Darnit. I love pets, but because the system requirements for Cats and Dogs have been increased, I can't run it anymore. I assume this means this will be the new requirements going forward too, so I guess I get to save money now for not buying future packs.

Might be similar specs for Seasons, but I'd expect GPs and SPs to be a little less system-taxing.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    Blaze_BardBlaze_Bard Posts: 93 Member
    I play The Sims 4 on a Mac, so I looked up the minimum Mac specs for Cats and Dogs:

>MINIMUM OS: Mac OS® X 10.7.5 (Lion)
    >
    >CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz Processor or better
    >
    >RAM: At least 4 GB RAM
    >
    >HARD DRIVE: At least 3 GB of free space (14 GB if installing with The Sims 4) with at least 1 GB additional space for custom content and saved >games
    >
    >VIDEO CARD: NVIDIA GeForce 320M, 9600M, 9400M, ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro or better. Video RAM of 256MB or better.
    >
    >INPUT: Keyboard and Mouse
    >
    >ONLINE REQUIREMENTS: Internet connection required for product activation.

I think my computer will meet those requirements, except I'm not sure about the video card. Could someone who knows more about tech than I do tell me if an AMD Radeon 6750M is better or worse than the listed video cards?
    "Good night -- even if you don't have a good knight." -- Ace Niles, Space Case
  • Options
    rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,598 Member
    edited September 2017
    Blaze_Bard wrote: »
    I play The Sims 4 on a Mac, so I looked up the minimum Mac specs for Cats and Dogs:

>MINIMUM OS: Mac OS® X 10.7.5 (Lion)
    >
    >CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz Processor or better
    >
    >RAM: At least 4 GB RAM
    >
    >HARD DRIVE: At least 3 GB of free space (14 GB if installing with The Sims 4) with at least 1 GB additional space for custom content and saved >games
    >
    >VIDEO CARD: NVIDIA GeForce 320M, 9600M, 9400M, ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro or better. Video RAM of 256MB or better.
    >
    >INPUT: Keyboard and Mouse
    >
    >ONLINE REQUIREMENTS: Internet connection required for product activation.

I think my computer will meet those requirements, except I'm not sure about the video card. Could someone who knows more about tech than I do tell me if an AMD Radeon 6750M is better or worse than the listed video cards?

Hello @Blaze_Bard
    It may be best to post your questions in the Mac section of the forums. Mac simmers may be able to assist you there.
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/categories/the-sims-4-on-mac-discussions
  • Options
    DarkSuperNinjaDarkSuperNinja Posts: 1,204 Member
    edited September 2017
    This is nuts; EA really should warn people more about the requirements changing spontaneously like this! Luckily I'm not too bothered about TS4 (though I think I hit the requirements anyways) but they should at least allow refunds for this expansion, especially since it ups the requirements so much for the game. As someone who broke their desktop's integrated graphics card with TS3 Into the Future (I was a naive 13 year old who knew nothing about PC hardware at the time) it would be nice if they were a bit louder about requirement changes with expansion packs! :/

ANYWAYS, just in case I decide to get TS4 Cats and Dogs at some point, are my system requirements ok to play? I'm pretty sure it should be good to go, but I want to be 100% sure. It's specs are:

Windows 10
    Intel Core i7-6500U CPU @ 2.50GHz 2.59 GHz
    16.0GB RAM (15.9GB usable)
    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
    NVIDIA Geforce GTX 950M
    It's got a 4K screen, but I pretty much play games exclusively at 1080p.

It's also a laptop (fun fact: I bought it for my college work (AKA Photoshop and Illustrator) not for gaming, hence why it's specs are a bit weird) so I know that affects the situation a bit. ;)
  • Options
    This is nuts; EA really should warn people more about the requirements changing spontaneously like this! Luckily I'm not too bothered about TS4 (though I think I hit the requirements anyways) but they should at least allow refunds for this expansion, especially since it ups the requirements so much for the game. As someone who broke their desktop's integrated graphics card with TS3 Into the Future (I was a naive 13 year old who knew nothing about PC hardware at the time) it would be nice if they were a bit louder about requirement changes with expansion packs! :/

ANYWAYS, just in case I decide to get TS4 Cats and Dogs at some point, are my system requirements ok to play? I'm pretty sure it should be good to go, but I want to be 100% sure. It's specs are:

Windows 10
    Intel Core i7-6500U CPU @ 2.50GHz 2.59 GHz
    16.0GB RAM (15.9GB usable)
    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
    NVIDIA Geforce GTX 950M
    It's got a 4K screen, but I pretty much play games exclusively at 1080p.

It's also a laptop (fun fact: I bought it for my college work (AKA Photoshop and Illustrator) not for gaming, hence why it's specs are a bit weird) so I know that affects the situation a bit. ;)

Its under recommended requirements to run this whole game. None of us know how powerful this new ep is going to make the game only that it will up the game.

Your processor is a dual core and the game requires quad core on desktop so you do really need a more powerful quad core on laptop. This game is processor heavy

The 950m card . You video should not game at higher resolutions like 1080p if your 950m is ddr 3 vram. You need a ddr5 vram card to handle 1080p Some 950m cards are ddr5 vram

You might be OK. some suggestions on how to reduce stress should your game start to lag

You can lower your game resolution in launcher options, you can tick off laptop mode, you can lower your game settings and play in windowed mode. You can try one of these or a combination of these but all will take stress off your laptop. You would have to play with the settings to see what works best for you

Own a laptop cooler if you don't own one. Gaming uses a lot more power and can generate heat. Heat can to damage to any computer with out proper cooling.
  • Options
    Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,193 Member
    edited September 2017
    BabySquare wrote: »

If you have a 64 bit version of windows and playing the 64 bit version of the game it will use up more computer ram and you will have less ram to run other programs if you have 8gb computer ram total. This would be worse for someone who has an integrated video card processor who is trying to run the game, processor, video card, origin , windows and other programs all on the same 8gb ram

But it is doable on 64 bit with 8 gb of ram?

Yes as along as you have a dedicated video card separate from your computer ram which you have. I can't tell you if you will have to lower your graphic settings on your 630m . Time will tell when you add the ep. No one knows how much more demanding this ep is going to be or how someones hardware is going to react to the ep if your computer is under recommended requirements. As I mentioned to you before, your video card is the only hardware in your computer that is under recommended requirements. I think you should be ok.

People with integrated graphics/processor are already having issues with just the new patch. It's unfortunate for those who don't have computer's that meet requirements with all their hardware and we are slowly telling people they need to buy a new computer to continue playing. Especially those on laptop

I think my laptop will be okay its a handy down, but its new ..It has 64 bit, and install I sims 4 , and 3. They run perfectly fine
  • Options
    rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,598 Member

If you have a 64 bit version of windows and playing the 64 bit version of the game it will use up more computer ram and you will have less ram to run other programs if you have 8gb computer ram total. This would be worse for someone who has an integrated video card processor who is trying to run the game, processor, video card, origin , windows and other programs all on the same 8gb ram

Yes as along as you have a dedicated video card separate from your computer ram which you have. I can't tell you if you will have to lower your graphic settings on your 630m . Time will tell when you add the ep. No one knows how much more demanding this ep is going to be or how someones hardware is going to react to the ep if your computer is under recommended requirements. As I mentioned to you before, your video card is the only hardware in your computer that is under recommended requirements. I think you should be ok.

People with integrated graphics/processor are already having issues with just the new patch. It's unfortunate for those who don't have computer's that meet requirements with all their hardware and we are slowly telling people they need to buy a new computer to continue playing. Especially those on laptop

I think my laptop will be okay its a handy down, but its new ..It has 64 bit, and install I sims 4 , and 3. They run perfectly fine

Hello @Horrorgirl6
    You may like to post what your laptop model, processor, graphics card and ram are , and simmers can advise you how think that you may go with the new Ep.
  • Options
    rosemow wrote: »

Hello @Horrorgirl6
    You may like to post what your laptop model, processor, graphics card and ram are , and simmers can advise you how think that you may go with the new Ep.

I have my fathers computer if it dose not work on my laptop. Here are some what know its windows 8.1 HP, It's GB 907 I have 813 GB left over. I haven't check my specs yet .
  • Options
    maggidestomaggidesto Posts: 240 Member
    Would you be kind enough to look over my computer's specs:

Windows 10
    Intel Core i5-6400 CPU @ 2.70GHz, 2701MHz, 4 core, 4 Logical Processor
    Virtual Memory 31.9GB
    Nvdia GeForce GTX460
    Installed Memory 16GB

Thank you very much
  • Options
    maggidesto wrote: »
    Would you be kind enough to look over my computer's specs:

Windows 10
    Intel Core i5-6400 CPU @ 2.70GHz, 2701MHz, 4 core, 4 Logical Processor
    Virtual Memory 31.9GB
    Nvdia GeForce GTX460
    Installed Memory 16GB

Thank you very much

You meet requirements but your video card is old. If you have issues I would think it would be the age of your video card. The game requires a 650 or better. If you have issues I would think about upgrading the video card
  • Options

Hello @Horrorgirl6

I have my fathers computer if it dose not work on my laptop. Here are some what know its windows 8.1 HP, It's GB 907 I have 813 GB left over. I haven't check my specs yet .

we would need to know video card, processor, amount of computer ram
  • Options
    edited September 2017

Hello @Horrorgirl6

Can you tell where to find that out?. Well, found my 8.00 GB . 6.96 Gb usable ram wise .I think this my laptop model except mine has windows 8 .http://laptopmedia.com/review/hp-pavilion-17-2016-review-affordable-powerful-distant-from-its-predecessor/ So probably can play the game just nt for verrylong periods of time
    Post edited by Horrorgirl6 on
  • Options
    edited September 2017

Hello @Horrorgirl6

Can you tell where to find that out?. Well, found my 8.00 GB . 6.96 Gb usable ram wise .I think this my laptop model except mine has windows 8 .http://laptopmedia.com/review/hp-pavilion-17-2016-review-affordable-powerful-distant-from-its-predecessor/ So probably can play the game just nt for verrylong periods of time

we need your exact make and model. If the processor and video card are integrated you may have issues. HP makes a lot of same laptop make but they have different models
  • Options
    edited September 2017

Hello @Horrorgirl6

we need your exact make and model. If the processor and video card are integrated you may have issues. HP makes a lot of same laptop make but they have different models

That is going be truoble , than it might be limited .Processer
    Amd A4 - 6210 APU with AMD Radeon R3 Graphics E1.8hz
    I know it probably dosesn't work. My pc number is hp pavilion pc 00258-61876-72733
    Post edited by Horrorgirl6 on
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    Pets must have higher polygon counts to raise the requirements. I know TS3 Pets cause some graphic cards to not be compatible anymore.
  • Options

Hello @Horrorgirl6

I know it probably dosesn't work. My pc number is hp pavilion pc 00258-61876-72733

that is integrated and low end. it might give you trouble
  • Options

Hello @Horrorgirl6

that is integrated and low end. it might give you trouble

Well since it might, I probably could risk it. If not I'll install it on my dad s . The reason i'm hopeful is that my laptop runs both game s fine with no issue. I also have the GB requirements and the ram.