Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Fringe

Comments

• Options
    15aewar15aewar Posts: 1,051 Member
    Similla_ wrote: »
    Hey guys! Im on the edge here and I need somebody's opinion. Im starting my simlit and I can't decide how should I start it? Should I just go ahead and jump right into the story of should i explain the situation first and introduce my characters first? or is it better if my readers get to know them as the story progresses and everything that is happening around them? thanks in advance! :)
    There was a really great article I once read about this exact same topic, but I can't seem to find it. :( Instead, here's a hasty explanation of what I've learned.
    Oh, there are so many ways! Sometimes (and I know I've said this before) the best way to get started is to just write! Or, at least that works for me; I have a tendency to figure things out as I go along.

As for the story, sometimes it's best just to jump in first and explain things as needed. This way, the reader doesn't have to wade through a big exposition dump. Also, you can reveal who your characters are without immediately going into a backstory. This can be accomplished by using concrete details.

From copyblogger.com
    The more specific details you use, the more credible the story becomes. You don’t necessarily need to pile them on the way I have here. Good novelists spend a lot of time and thought coming up with the perfect single detail that tells the whole story. But if you don’t happen to be a great novelist, give yourself permission to layer in a few details to make the picture come alive in your reader’s mind.

Here's an example from fiction!

From F. Scott Fitzgerald's The Great Gatsby
    She was extended full length at her end of the divan, completely motionless and with her chin raised a little as if she were balancing something on it which was quite likely to fall. If she saw me out of the corner of her eyes she gave no hint of it - indeed I was almost surprised into murmuring an apology for having disturbed her for coming in.
    This woman is Miss Baker. By that description alone, you can tell she is upper class and serious.

What might also help you decide on how to open your story is by looking to authors you really admire. I really admire how Mark Twain writes, so I might look to Huckleberry Finn as an example.

I hope this helps!
  • Options
    Okay, now I have a question of my own: What do you guys do when one of your projects no longer interests you. (Just in case any of you were worried, it's the Penvellyn Legacy that I'm referring to, not the Agatha Christie one.)
  • Options
    MegglesMeggles Posts: 4,109 Member
    Hey guys! Im on the edge here and I need somebody's opinion. Im starting my simlit and I can't decide how should I start it? Should I just go ahead and jump right into the story of should i explain the situation first and introduce my characters first? or is it better if my readers get to know them as the story progresses and everything that is happening around them? thanks in advance! :)

@Similla_ You could always just jump right in and give backstory another time, like a flashback. OR you could write up a backstory and post it as a page before your table of contents, story background, etc.
    Gifs are broken but click here for my blog with all my stories :)
    House: Hufflepuff | Wand: Ebony wood w/a unicorn hair core, 9 ¾"
    Origin ID: meggles87 | twitter | simblr
  • Options
    friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    Meggles wrote: »

@Similla_ You could always just jump right in and give backstory another time, like a flashback. OR you could write up a backstory and post it as a page before your table of contents, story background, etc.

thats what i did last time. i have been writing the benders so long i lost count of the startovers but it wasn't til last time cathtea and jes said we want a backstory.they had bad timing though so instead of being at the beging where it woould have made sense it was in the middle.

this time its at the beging but its not long i would have made it longer but noel and lauren decied to play with intresting results. so its their fault.
  • Options
    Patch notes! Here are my top 3 favorite things they fixed:
    1. Social events such as Birthday, Wedding, Dinner, Costume, House parties, or Dates, can now be hosted on Generic Lots.
    2. Cancelling a Practice Singing interaction will now also cancel the audio.
    3. Build Mode music should no longer indefinitely loop as a result of loading directly to Build Mode from the map screen.

Also, I'm sorry I neglected your post, @15aewar ! I forgot what thread I was in. <3

I can only speak from my own experience, but I just sort of... let them sit around... :sweat: In my perfect dream world I would get to a stopping point and end it with a clean cut off (end of a generation or something). I have a couple like that: my Sims 2 legacy (I'm exhausted by it and it's stuck with the triplet kids in college - TOO MANY SIMS), and my ISBI challenge (I'm stuck with the mother just having aged up into an elder).
  • Options
    ...and then I forgot to reply to @friendsfan367 :confounded: It is not my day, let me tell you.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    ...and then I forgot to reply to @friendsfan367 :confounded: It is not my day, let me tell you.

i can make you laugh yesterday cathtea came on late and she quoted someone i was so happy to see her i screamed i missed you and ignored the fact she had been talking to someone else. and i'll be ignoring everyone on friday.
  • Options
    CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member

i can make you laugh yesterday cathtea came on late and she quoted someone i was so happy to see her i screamed i missed you and ignored the fact she had been talking to someone else. and i'll be ignoring everyone on friday.

Sissy, I was so happy you screamed that you missed me, that I tried to write back! I was going to write AAAAGGGHHHHH! Hi!

But I got caught by the spam buster and got a rude red message telling me I'd posted too many times in a row, and now I had to wait some ridiculous number of seconds before I could post again! LOL!

Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • Options
    CathyTea wrote: »

Sissy, I was so happy you screamed that you missed me, that I tried to write back! I was going to write AAAAGGGHHHHH! Hi!

But I got caught by the spam buster and got a rude red message telling me I'd posted too many times in a row, and now I had to wait some ridiculous number of seconds before I could post again! LOL!

i pmed you that happened to me too. aparently the filter doesn't know girls talk a lot.

i feel bad for whoever you quoted though technically i screamed at them too.
  • Options
    MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,757 Member
    anyone want to throw their favourite foods ?
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member
    MadameLee wrote: »

Peanut butter? Might be a messy food fight!
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • Options

know thats why i weigh so much.
  • Options
    edited November 2017

not a food fight.. I have wonton soup, Greek pizza, lasagna, Alfredo Fettuccine, I need more ideas for food as part of the feast for one of my characters to chomp down on.. (pomegranate is one of the desserts think of a certain Greek myth).

BTW-the sand is different colours and taste like IC in this odd land.
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    AdamsEve1231AdamsEve1231 Posts: 7,035 Member
    i pmed you that happened to me too. aparently the filter doesn't know girls talk a lot.

:D
    With these forums closing down, stay connected.

Find me elsewhere:
    My EA App ID: livinasimminlife
    Livin' A Simmin' Life Stories
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Options
    edited November 2017

not a food fight.. I have wonton soup, Greek pizza, lasagna, Alfredo Fettuccine, I need more ideas for food as part of the feast for one of my characters to chomp down on.. (pomegranate is one of the desserts think of a certain Greek myth).

@MadameLee When I first read this, I was thinking names for Sims... Wonton Soup and Alfredo Fettuccine might be cute names. Not sure about Greek Pizza and Lasagna, but you never know. Haha. Sorry I must have misunderstood what your question is.

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Options
    edited November 2017

@MadameLee When I first read this, I was thinking names for Sims... Wonton Soup and Alfredo Fettuccine might be cute names. Not sure about Greek Pizza and Lasagna, but you never know. Haha. Sorry I must have misunderstood what your question is.

not sims name..but food for one of my NANOWRIMO characters to eat (she's a glutton) to disapper, another character is lustful-which reminds me I need to write a sexy love scene in this person's talk with person A. Another person is a sloth. person 4 is greed Person 5 envy.

I realised I don't need a dark setting..I only need 6 words "She went to the other side" that would be spooky wouldn't it?

part of my story dungeon scene :
    Hailey woke up and noticed that she was in a dark, damp and freezing stone place and there were skeletons covered in cobwebs on the wall-shackled up high. Slowly she realized that even though she wasn't on the wall herself- her ankles and wrists were shackled. In front of her was a door which was mostly made out of metal bars. She could tell from droppings on the floor there were bats around as well. Hailey could hear yelling from down the hall "Please not the Iron Maiden! It's not my fault I keep losing the sticker books!!" The last thing she remembered was eating food she had seen after healing someone. Hailey then hear a tapping on her wall and it was giving her the chills-she know it was snakes and she was deathly afraid of them. She called out to see if the others were around as well "Lori?" "up—here---in—cage" a voice said somewhere outside of Hailey's cell door. Hailey walked as far as the chains were allowed her and looked up and could barely see the brown hair -woman standing up n a very old-fashioned metal cage "how in the world did you get up there? I know you're scared of heights." Lori replied "Well, after you disappeared- I went to find a bathroom but on the way back to the others-a Greek man intrigued me enough to go back with him to a wonderful room. He gave me a drink of something and then we had such wonderfully sex and I feel asleep-when I woke up-I was in this cage." Hailey asked "Do you know if the others are down here?" Lori replied "Dagmar and Christie are both are down here as well-Dagmar is dealing bats she has a phobia of them and Christie is dealing with black cats-she's afraid of them after having a dream that her ancestor was burned at stake because of a black cat. But no sign of Tam, and I can sense Alice is no longer with us." Hailey said "What she's dead?!!" Lori quickly said "No, no –not dead. But she switched to the other side."

I need to figure out the villain somehow!! Why does they trap children and parents? Why do they have a dungeon?

Also why does one character betray the heroine of my story before anyone knows what she's capable of??
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    not sims name..but food for one of my NANOWRIMO characters to eat (she's a glutton) to disapper, another character is lustful-which reminds me I need to write a sexy love scene in this person's talk with person A. Another person is a sloth. person 4 is greed Person 5 envy.

I realised I don't need a dark setting..I only need 6 words "She went to the other side" that would be spooky wouldn't it?

Hailey woke up and noticed that she was in a dark, damp and freezing stone place and there were skeletons covered in cobwebs on the wall-shackled up high. Slowly she realized that even though she wasn't on the wall herself- her ankles and wrists were shackled. In front of her was a door which was mostly made out of metal bars. She could tell from droppings on the floor there were bats around as well. Hailey could hear yelling from down the hall "Please not the Iron Maiden! It's not my fault I keep losing the sticker books!!" The last thing she remembered was eating food she had seen after healing someone. Hailey then hear a tapping on her wall and it was giving her the chills-she know it was snakes and she was deathly afraid of them. She called out to see if the others were around as well "Lori?" "up—here---in—cage" a voice said somewhere outside of Hailey's cell door. Hailey walked as far as the chains were allowed her and looked up and could barely see the brown hair -woman standing up n a very old-fashioned metal cage "how in the world did you get up there? I know you're scared of heights." Lori replied "Well, after you disappeared- I went to find a bathroom but on the way back to the others-a Greek man intrigued me enough to go back with him to a wonderful room. He gave me a drink of something and then we had such wonderfully sex and I feel asleep-when I woke up-I was in this cage." Hailey asked "Do you know if the others are down here?" Lori replied "Dagmar and Christie are both are down here as well-Dagmar is dealing bats she has a phobia of them and Christie is dealing with black cats-she's afraid of them after having a dream that her ancestor was burned at stake because of a black cat. But no sign of Tam, and I can sense Alice is no longer with us." Hailey said "What she's dead?!!" Lori quickly said "No, no –not dead. But she switched to the other side."

I need to figure out the villain somehow!! Why does they trap children and parents? Why do they have a dungeon?

Also why does one character betray the heroine of my story before anyone knows what she's capable of??

@MadameLee Foods your glutton could eat? Ice cream, cookies, cakes, and pies. Maybe she likes bread. My cousin was obsessed with rolls for a short time. Or other snack foods like chips, fries, crackers, rice cakes, cereal bars, etc. I crave peanut butter and chocolate most of the time.

As for why your villain would trap children, maybe your villain hates children. Has anyone seen the old 🐸🐸🐸🐸 Van 🐸🐸🐸🐸 musical Chitty Chitty Bang Bang? I thought of that when I read your story, @MadameLee. Perhaps the villain always wanted children but couldn't have them for some reason, went mad, and now deprives the world of children and happy parents.

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Options
    Hey Fringe peeps, Just letting you know that SimLit Celebrations and Discussions is updated for November. Pop on over and submit your nominations for SimLit stories, shorts, or characters you feel showcases gratitude and thankfulness.

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Options

@MadameLee Foods your glutton could eat? Ice cream, cookies, cakes, and pies. Maybe she likes bread. My cousin was obsessed with rolls for a short time. Or other snack foods like chips, fries, crackers, rice cakes, cereal bars, etc. I crave peanut butter and chocolate most of the time.

As for why your villain would trap children, maybe your villain hates children. Has anyone seen the old plum Van plum musical Chitty Chitty Bang Bang? I thought of that when I read your story, @MadameLee. Perhaps the villain always wanted children but couldn't have them for some reason, went mad, and now deprives the world of children and happy parents.

Hailey and the rest of my main characters are YAs in their 20s except for the little girl. But children (and parents) are actually *happy* in this trapped land they're stuck in because the land (Hailey, and 4 other characters-there are 2 who aren't --the one who is "on the other side" and one who is currently in a library-or I assume so-I should really go back to that person to see if she *did* go-in the dungeon and of couse my MAIN, MAIN, MAIN character-isn't in the dugeon) but the children and the parents (and descendants) are trapped in a Fisher Price gigantic toyland.

previous chapter:
    After a day of getting to know each other and getting some more food-the two fell asleep next to each other. The next morning, they finally start to walking, as they're walking they stumbled into this very weird place where there were both children and parents all of them were holding books and yet the place was filled with gigantic Fisher Price sets. Some for if they were the original size-the Original Fisher Price Little People Sets and others were for the Chunkier folks like the Discovery-cottage for preschool age if the cottage was its original size. *Discovery Cottage had a rounded blue door with a heart in it and it has one of those old carnival games-which tested men's strength back in the days for the doorbell. The upstairs probably was red with a sunken bed and a mirror of sorts and a "seat" of sorts. Another toy was the A-Frame House with a sliding glass front door-and a bedroom upstairs and to get up there you needed a ladder. The children were all different ages but were always playing in with the various gigantic Fisher Price toys-and they seem to have come from the eras of the 70s and through the 90s-they didn't seem to realize it was at least 2017.

A blonde woman dressed in a very Victorian style clothes despite probably *not* from living in that particular time period came over and said "Where are your sticker books'. No one can enter the park without them." Ming replied "We only just stumbled across this place. Could you explain it?" The woman said "Well long time ago-all of these toys were their original sizes. But suddenly one night, the stuff become gigantic and people who were here before the change couldn't leave and new people eventually couldn't leave as well, and everyone has to have one of these books" Shows Ming and Lulu the books which had stickers in them "supposedly, once you do all the toys and get a sticker, you are able to leave BUT--the stickers keep disappearing from their spots in the book-so you have to go and do the toys again." Lulu asked "But doesn't it get boring after a while?" The woman said "It's like they're always doing it for the first time. Have no idea why."

Suddenly there was a very loud noise and the blonde woman said "This way!!" And lead them to a rounded green door next to an opened green window and the door which was next to some stairs' underside-which led to an orange conveyor belt for an orange slide but also to a sort of odd blue trapdoor for a different slide "Come in here quickly!!" The woman said "also don't stand near the window!" Ming and Lulu did as they're told and soon the room was packed with people. Ming asked the woman "So what was the loud noise about? And what is this room?" The woman said "Call me Eleanor please. The loud noise was sirens because someone dropped their sticker book which is a no-no here." Eleanor continued "this room is the Seamese Street Clubhouse***-club part but it’s also the safety area for when the sirens happened." Lulu asked "What happens to the people who drop their sticker books?" the woman replied "We don't know. They're taken away and never seen again." Ming looks around the room and noticed how some of the adults, looked like they might have come here as children but grew up and got married in the park and had children who also got stickers books who then grew up and had more children.

*144a393f2cff9cc81a42fbf8a016b1e1--cottage-house-cottages.jpg

**P1010747.JPG

***enhanced-buzz-orig-29478-1361563278-5.jpg?downsize=715:*&output-format=auto&output-quality=auto

now can you imagine the trapped land now oh and (it's all on differently coloured sand which has different flavours depending on the colour you eat )?

other Fisher price toys will show up in future chapters.

6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    Similla_Similla_ Posts: 37 Member
    > @MadameLee said:
    > anyone want to throw their favourite foods ?

mine's definitely a pizza :D
    tumblr_inline_ozdhvnXqXe1v8iihq_500.png
    It Just Makes Sense
  • Options
    > @15aewar said:
    > Similla_ wrote: »
    >
    > Hey guys! Im on the edge here and I need somebody's opinion. Im starting my simlit and I can't decide how should I start it? Should I just go ahead and jump right into the story of should i explain the situation first and introduce my characters first? or is it better if my readers get to know them as the story progresses and everything that is happening around them? thanks in advance! :)
    >
    >
    >
    > There was a really great article I once read about this exact same topic, but I can't seem to find it. :( Instead, here's a hasty explanation of what I've learned.
    > Oh, there are so many ways! Sometimes (and I know I've said this before) the best way to get started is to just write! Or, at least that works for me; I have a tendency to figure things out as I go along.
    >
    > As for the story, sometimes it's best just to jump in first and explain things as needed. This way, the reader doesn't have to wade through a big exposition dump. Also, you can reveal who your characters are without immediately going into a backstory. This can be accomplished by using concrete details.
    >
    > From copyblogger.com The more specific details you use, the more credible the story becomes. You don’t necessarily need to pile them on the way I have here. Good novelists spend a lot of time and thought coming up with the perfect single detail that tells the whole story. But if you don’t happen to be a great novelist, give yourself permission to layer in a few details to make the picture come alive in your reader’s mind.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Here's an example from fiction!
    >
    > From F. Scott Fitzgerald's The Great Gatsby She was extended full length at her end of the divan, completely motionless and with her chin raised a little as if she were balancing something on it which was quite likely to fall. If she saw me out of the corner of her eyes she gave no hint of it - indeed I was almost surprised into murmuring an apology for having disturbed her for coming in.
    >
    >
    >
    > This woman is Miss Baker. By that description alone, you can tell she is upper class and serious.
    >
    > What might also help you decide on how to open your story is by looking to authors you really admire. I really admire how Mark Twain writes, so I might look to Huckleberry Finn as an example.
    >
    > I hope this helps!

Thank you so much! this really helped me to make my mind up. I think if i'll jump right in it will be more interesting to learn what happens around my sims than explaining first whats going on. it would be very plain and boring haha

I really admire how Oscar Wilde writes and there is this one author who inspires from him and i love her fictions! Tho i know i'll never be able to write like that, but i'll do my best and see what comes out of it. thank you so much once again your advice really helped me :)
    It Just Makes Sense
  • Options
    > @Meggles said:
    >
    > Hey guys! Im on the edge here and I need somebody's opinion. Im starting my simlit and I can't decide how should I start it? Should I just go ahead and jump right into the story of should i explain the situation first and introduce my characters first? or is it better if my readers get to know them as the story progresses and everything that is happening around them? thanks in advance! :)
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > @Similla_ You could always just jump right in and give backstory another time, like a flashback. OR you could write up a backstory and post it as a page before your table of contents, story background, etc.

thank you! I think i'll do just that, jump right in and let my readers learn about them as the story progresses, that way it will be more entertaining and wont seem so boring as i think if i would have explained everything first it would be like a spoiler and in my opinion i wouldn't want to read the story if i knew what will happen anyway :D
    It Just Makes Sense
  • Options
    > @friendsfan367 said:
    > Meggles wrote: »
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > @Similla_ You could always just jump right in and give backstory another time, like a flashback. OR you could write up a backstory and post it as a page before your table of contents, story background, etc.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > thats what i did last time. i have been writing the benders so long i lost count of the startovers but it wasn't til last time cathtea and jes said we want a backstory.they had bad timing though so instead of being at the beging where it woould have made sense it was in the middle.
    >
    > this time its at the beging but its not long i would have made it longer but noel and lauren decied to play with intresting results. so its their fault.

haha i hope it wont happen to me and my story will make sense xD
    It Just Makes Sense
  • Options
    how could character B betray Character A (my MC) espicallly when character B is "on the other side" (ie bad guy's side)?
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    how could character B betray Character A (my MC) espicallly when character B is "on the other side" (ie bad guy's side)?

Maybe he befriends her under false pretenses.
    B: I think being bad is bad. I want to be good. Will you show me how?
    A: Of course! Here are my secrets!
    B: Fooled ya! I'm taking these back to the boss.