Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Fringe

Comments

• Options
    CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member
    15aewar wrote: »
    CathyTea wrote: »
    @CathyTea and others who do the alien adoption challenge:
    How did you create the universe? How did you get other people to join?

Well, I just tagged some friends who were doing it or who I thought might be interested, then I created a collab thread. And on my story and on the collab site, we make it clear that anyone's welcome to join at any time!

We've got a language-inventing group PM that about 8 of us are in and a Word Lore group PM that about 11 of us are in, and we do a ton of planning, scheming, brainstorming, and idea-sharing there.

We also share tons of spoilers in our collab thread.

When we come up with plots and side-plots that might impact others' plots or that contain elements that others might want to build off of, we share them either in the group PM or in the collab thread.

The language sort of developed organically, incorporating ideas from everyone.

@allysimbuilds developed this super neat way to co-write, which is through Google docs. There's even a chat there, so we can plan while we write. When our Sims visit others, we each write the dialogue for our respective Sims--it's super!

This is my third or fourth (maybe fifth?) really big collab, so I incorporated a bunch of what I learned from other collabs, namely: be really flexible to accommodate everyone's pacing, style, and needs both for time-out and for involvement; share as much as possible to help co-creation; respect (of course! Of Simmers, Sims, stories, and style); welcome and invite diversity; allow for differing levels of involvement.

It's been amazing.

We'd love to have you join if you want!

And if you're looking at starting your own collab, I'm sure we'd love to share other things we've learned that have gone in to making this fun and rewarding!

I would definitely be interested in learning how you set things up. I would love to work with other people, and I think it would be a great way to start interacting with others.

Great! You can PM me or we can carry on the conversation here! If we hold it here, others can chime in with their suggestions and experiences!
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • Options
    15aewar15aewar Posts: 1,051 Member
    Here's some of my questions about starting a collab:

Does it have to be a challenge? (I'm not much of a challenge player, myself.)

What sorts of ideas interest other people? Do they enjoy mysteries or high fantasy settings?

Would it be possible to create a collab that's open to several games?
  • Options
    RipuAncestorRipuAncestor Posts: 2,332 Member
    edited November 2017

Does it have to be a challenge? (I'm not much of a challenge player, myself.)

What sorts of ideas interest other people? Do they enjoy mysteries or high fantasy settings?

Would it be possible to create a collab that's open to several games?

It doesn't have to be a challenge. And it can be open to several games. The Pen Pal Project we have going on is an example of such a collab, and it works. :)
    doublebannerpic.jpg?w=676
    My Sims stories:
    The Fey of Life - fairytales in life are few and far between (Forum thread HERE)
    The Chrysanthemum Tango - a story about life, death, magic, and how to be a good landlady (Forum thread HERE)
    Forget-Me-Not - some things just refuse to stay buried; an Ambrosia Challenge story (Forum thread HERE)
  • Options
    Similla_Similla_ Posts: 37 Member
    hi fellow simmers, I finally could start posting my sims 4 story 'It Just Makes Sense'. It's my first story and first chapter is up, so if you have time to check it out I would appreciate some feedback. Thank youuuuuu x
    tumblr_inline_ozdhvnXqXe1v8iihq_500.png
    It Just Makes Sense
  • Options
    Similla_ wrote: »
    hi fellow simmers, I finally could start posting my sims 4 story 'It Just Makes Sense'. It's my first story and first chapter is up, so if you have time to check it out I would appreciate some feedback. Thank youuuuuu x

Congratulations! Oh - it looks like someone just became a member, too!
  • Options
    MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,757 Member
    edited November 2017
    Would people be willing to join a collab with part Adam&Eve, part history changelle?

I wouldn't have it ready for awhile between NaNoWriMo novel and me having to get to Gen 10 of my legacy. Also people will have to download a 'taboo' part of a certain mod made by a simmer who has the username of a anti-hero superhero.
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    MadameLee wrote: »
    Would people be willing to join a collab with part Adam&Eve, part history changelle?

I wouldn't have it ready for awhile between NaNoWriMo novel and me having to get to Gen 10 of my legacy. Also people will have to download a 'taboo' part of a certain mod made by a simmer who has the username of a anti-hero superhero.

Does that mean that Adam and Eve won't have clothes?

What's a history changelle?
  • Options
    @MadameLee Sounds fun... I'm not doing much CC or mods, though, so I might need a different way to participate...
    also, I'm going to make a joke below--it's friendly teasing! We joked about this before, when you came up with the name, remember?

@15aewar A changelle is a cool name for challenge for the spelling-changelled. :D

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • Options
    @MadameLee Sounds fun... I'm not doing much CC or mods, though, so I might need a different way to participate...
    also, I'm going to make a joke below--it's friendly teasing! We joked about this before, when you came up with the name, remember?

@15aewar A changelle is a cool name for challenge for the spelling-changelled. :D

LOL Cathy @15aewar I'm the one who accidentally came up with that name

Does that mean that Adam and Eve won't have clothes?

What's a history changelle?

no Adam&Eve means you only start with 2 (opposite) CAS sims and have them have babies and (supposedly) married other to other "townies" until all the descendants can be traced back to Adam and Eve sims.

But a history challenge is you start in "pre-history" and work you're way (ie generations) to the modern day-ie cave->Roman/Egyptian->Middle Ages->Industrial->Wild West-> (and I forget the rest).
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    how is everyone today?
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    AdamsEve1231AdamsEve1231 Posts: 7,035 Member
    how is everyone today?

Thanks for asking, @MadameLee. My allergies are bothering me, and after a four day weekend, I'm a little reluctant to get back to work. Thankfully today I'm out of the office, out and about for work so that makes it more bearable. I got time to game in TS4 over the weekend and start screenshoting for my ISBI challenge so I feel I made progress. How are you?
    With these forums closing down, stay connected.

Find me elsewhere:
    My EA App ID: livinasimminlife
    Livin' A Simmin' Life Stories
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    how is everyone today?

Thanks for asking, @MadameLee. My allergies are bothering me, and after a four day weekend, I'm a little reluctant to get back to work. Thankfully today I'm out of the office, out and about for work so that makes it more bearable. I got time to game in TS4 over the weekend and start screenshoting for my ISBI challenge so I feel I made progress. How are you?

Sorry that you're allgeries are bothering you

I'm good..Mom asked me a weird question last night. I had mentioned to her that at bowling I had an entire conversation in ASL with a woman who is one of the league's 3 deaf players explaining why I know ASL and how I was trying to brush up on it. Mom asked me if the woman appreciated me communicating with her in ASL. I still don't understand Mom's question.
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    how is everyone today?

I'm good..Mom asked me a weird question last night. I had mentioned to her that at bowling I had an entire conversation in ASL with a woman who is one of the league's 3 deaf players explaining why I know ASL and how I was trying to brush up on it. Mom asked me if the woman appreciated me communicating with her in ASL. I still don't understand Mom's question.

for deaf people signing is easier than reading lips. because some people talk fast. so signining is easier for them to understand.
  • Options
    how is everyone today?

Hiya! You mom, by her question, probably is asking if the woman felt that you were being kind to her by communicating in ASL. It's another way of asking if the woman enjoyed the conversation.

@friendsfan367 Hi, sis! Are you enjoying Cats and Dogs? (I know it broke your essential mod--sorry about that!)

• Options
    how is everyone today?

Hiya! You mom, by her question, probably is asking if the woman felt that you were being kind to her by communicating in ASL. It's another way of asking if the woman enjoyed the conversation.

@friendsfan367 Hi, sis! Are you enjoying Cats and Dogs? (I know it broke your essential mod--sorry about that!)

when I asked my Mom she said that ordinarily people (and as you know I'm NOT ordinarily) don't know ASL and hence are not able to communicate with someone like her. In this case "ordinarily" means people not part of the deaf community. But still the questions confuses me
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    how is everyone today?

yes i am enjoying cats and dogs.

i'm thinking of putting a request in the mod request thread about the trait, but i'm not sure a new one would fix it since custom traits are broke.

• Options
    how is everyone today?

when I asked my Mom she said that ordinarily people (and as you know I'm NOT ordinarily) don't know ASL and hence are not able to communicate with someone like her. In this case "ordinarily" means people not part of the deaf community. But still the questions confuses me

it was still a nice thing for you to do.
  • Options
    how is everyone today?

I think it's her way of complimenting you for A) knowing ASL and B) being thoughtful and using it to communicate with someone who uses it.

• Options
    how is everyone today?

I think it's her way of complimenting you for A) knowing ASL and B) being thoughtful and using it to communicate with someone who uses it.

Well at the time I was using ASL-I had thrown a couple of "practice" balls and i either got a strike or a spare. The deaf woman signed 'good' and I signed "thanks" back and I then explained in ASL I knew sign language because I couldn't talk when I was little and my sister suggest that we (the parents&I) learn ASL and I was trying to brush up. I *did* need to finger spell the word 'suggest' and I had to use the sign for 'help' to use for the word 'up'.
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    how is everyone today?

@MadameLee I took ASL in high school, tutored in it in college, and taught a junior high and high school class post college in ASL. If you think of it this way, if you spoke Spanish or French and no one else around you did, and then someone made an effort to speak your language, you'd probably appreciate it. Most Deaf individuals I've met are super patient and love it when a hearing person tries to communicate in their language. It's a beautiful language and a way to bridge the gap and connect people.

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Options
    how is everyone today?

@MadameLee I took ASL in high school, tutored in it in college, and taught a junior high and high school class post college in ASL. If you think of it this way, if you spoke Spanish or French and no one else around you did, and then someone made an effort to speak your language, you'd probably appreciate it. Most Deaf individuals I've met are super patient and love it when a hearing person tries to communicate in their language. It's a beautiful language and a way to bridge the gap and connect people.

my sister took an ASL course in university and once they went someplace (but she already known sign language because as 12 and 13 year old she and her friends used it as a secret language) which had deaf people and the deaf people kind of made fun of them and also signed too fast or so my Mom told me.
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    how is everyone today?

my sister took an ASL course in university and once they went someplace (but she already known sign language because as 12 and 13 year old she and her friends used it as a secret language) which had deaf people and the deaf people kind of made fun of them and also signed too fast or so my Mom told me.

I suppose everyone's different. There's a strong proud culture associated with Deaf people. That's why I capitalize the D in deaf. For the most part, in my experience, if you are trying to directly communicate with a Deaf individual in sign they will accommodate. However, just like we talk fast, they sign fast.

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Options
    Hiya, Fringies! Guess what? It looks like SimSecrets is considering modifying their rules to make it less conducive to bullying of Simmers! This is great news and it presents a real opportunity to curb the hurt.

They're holding a survey to ask about rule changes.

If you care about preventing online bullying in the Simming community, this is your chance to speak up and voice your opinion!

I've already taken the survey, so it doesn't look like I can pass on the link to you (maybe someone else can?).

If you want to take the survey, you can get it by going to SimSecret. You don't have to read the secrets to take the survey (and I suggest that you don't read the secrets--they can be upsetting to anyone who cares for others or who has the squeamish trait). The survey is in the first post.

I really hope this helps to heal one of the most toxic places in the Simming community so that it becomes a place which stops hurting Simmers!

• Options
    Would it be a good thing for me to make a cake for my neighbour who is my "friend's" Mom who had a bad accident back in Sept?
    6adMCGP.gif