Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Game Crashes Upon Save/Exit

Comments

• Options
    rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,598 Member
    edited August 2017
    DivieOwl wrote: »
    Karababy52 wrote: »
    Does this only happen to y'all when you use 'save & exit' to leave the game? I'm just wondering because I never use that and it's never crashed when I leave the game. I always pause my game when I'm ready to leave, hit save, then hit exit game and when it asks me if I want to save and exit I choose just exit. Maybe there's a problem with the 'save & exit' feature?

No, it's not only using save & exit. I never use the "save & exit" feature. Habit I got into with Sims 3. I always use "save" or "save as", wait for it to save, then chose "exit" and I get the crash on exit. I've gotten it about 4 times in the last 48 hours. What I'm finding, is that it effects saves that have been played for a bit. The longer the save has been played, the more often the crash on exit happens. I just started a new save and I have saved and exited fine every time, but when I play my long-time save, it'll crash on exit nearly everytime.

It is helpful to have the feedback that it is affecting your older saves, rather than a new save.
    I am sorry that you are having this issue :(
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,602 Member
    Karababy52 wrote: »
    Does this only happen to y'all when you use 'save & exit' to leave the game? I'm just wondering because I never use that and it's never crashed when I leave the game. I always pause my game when I'm ready to leave, hit save, then hit exit game and when it asks me if I want to save and exit I choose just exit. Maybe there's a problem with the 'save & exit' feature?

Ya, I'm guessing it has to do with "save and exit". I've never had a problem with this feature until they changed the saves (the thumbnails of the families added when you load your game).

But it seems like other people are having other causes of it too.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    Karababy52Karababy52 Posts: 5,952 Member
    Ah, okay, so it could be related to the save & exit feature somewhat at least. Sounds like it's more involved than just that though. Thanks for the insight everyone. I think I'll continue to stay away from 'save & exit' for the time being. I hope whatever is causing this is found and fixed soon.
  • Options
    EthyrdudeEthyrdude Posts: 268 Member
    edited September 2017
    I would concur that this is a Windows (10) issue as it started happening after one of their updates a while ago. The last crash text reports no save or load errors and saving first and then doing a separate exit seems to prevent this from happening. If the crash still happens, I would suggest going to the main menu after saving as I have never seen a crash when exiting from the main menu. There is a memdump created but I doubt if this would show anything relevant or useful (at least to me) but I will save the next few if and when they happen to see if there is a repeating pattern.

Edit: After two days, had another crash on exit and trying to find a comparison will be up to someone with more patience than me. The only obvious pattern was that at the start which states <memdump>eNrt... and then goes on with a very long string of letters and numbers using "very pretty xml". I don't even have the patience to copy that list but it is very, very long. Using any of the above mentioned solutions would be much simpler as to find any pattern in that mess would not be easy.
    Post edited by Ethyrdude on
    On a planet far, far away.
  • Options
    EthyrdudeEthyrdude Posts: 268 Member
    edited September 2017
    I had my first exit to main menu crash today, after installing a couple of heavily decorated homes. One was a castle and the other was a luxury home from the gallery. So saving and exiting to the main menu is not always going to work either.

Edit: @rosemow, this was a brand new save.
    On a planet far, far away.
  • Options
    Ethyrdude wrote: »
    I had my first exit to main menu crash today, after installing a couple of heavily decorated homes. One was a castle and the other was a luxury home from the gallery. So saving and exiting to the main menu is not always going to work either.

Edit: @rosemow, this was a brand new save.

Hello
    I am sorry that you crashed after saving and exiting to the main menu :( Going to the main menu after saving can often help.
    It is helpful feedback for the developers.
  • Options
    AprilDawnAprilDawn Posts: 795 Member
    Not sure this will help much but this seems to be going in the direction of being a Windows 10 problem but I have Windows 8.1 and it started happening to me. If I just popped into the game for a short time - it did not seem to happen - but on game play of several hours or some time spent in build mode it would generally crash on exit. I use save - wait for it to finish saving - and then exit. I have not played the game in several months now though - so this was happening a while back for me - not sure when it started.
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    AprilDawn wrote: »
    Not sure this will help much but this seems to be going in the direction of being a Windows 10 problem but I have Windows 8.1 and it started happening to me. If I just popped into the game for a short time - it did not seem to happen - but on game play of several hours or some time spent in build mode it would generally crash on exit. I use save - wait for it to finish saving - and then exit. I have not played the game in several months now though - so this was happening a while back for me - not sure when it started.

Hello
    It is helpful feedback that you have posted that the issue. It is affecting simmers with different versions of Windows.
    Perhaps it may help in your game if you come out of the game after an hour then go back in again, to prevent it occurring when you have been playing several hours.
  • Options
    PlainevilPlainevil Posts: 221 Member
    I took a break from playing Sims 4 after Easter, since updating my game a few days ago, my game is also crashing on exit. I have Windows 10 and I know last night I selected save and exit by mistake, had already saved. However i normally just save and then just exit.
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Plainevil wrote: »
    I took a break from playing Sims 4 after Easter, since updating my game a few days ago, my game is also crashing on exit. I have Windows 10 and I know last night I selected save and exit by mistake, had already saved. However i normally just save and then just exit.

Hello
    It is great that you are now back simming after taking a break. I am sorry though that your game has been crashing on exiting.
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,602 Member
    AprilDawn wrote: »

My guess is that it could be the new save system they added that's causing these crashes.
    Plainevil wrote: »

Welcome back. :) Fortunately, this crash bug doesn't affect saves. Your game will still save properly. I think there might be some issue with the game 'exiting'.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    TheBuffster73TheBuffster73 Posts: 201 Member
    I was having this problem a lot and then recently re installed the whole game from scratch and it was fine until I had been playing a while as others have said. It seems for me at least it's as the save file gets bigger. I always save as before i exit now to try make sure I don't lose anything.
    If the Apocalypse comes beep me
  • Options
    JackOnYourBackJackOnYourBack Posts: 1,261 Member
    I have this issue as well, although I always save separately and then exit the game (don't trust the "save and ..." ones, have had issues with them before). Since the game is always saved doing this it's really a non issue for me but I assume its a bug so I need to speak up so we can hopefully get a more stable game and get to the bottom of this :blush:
    Gallery ID: JackOnYourBack
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    I have this issue as well, although I always save separately and then exit the game (don't trust the "save and ..." ones, have had issues with them before). Since the game is always saved doing this it's really a non issue for me but I assume its a bug so I need to speak up so we can hopefully get a more stable game and get to the bottom of this :blush:

Hello,
    I am sorry that you are having this issue also. It is good that the game is still saving though.
  • Options
    VisenyaDaisyVisenyaDaisy Posts: 18 New Member
    same thing happens to me whenever i save/exit. works fine if i just click save on its own and then exit afterwards
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    same thing happens to me whenever i save/exit. works fine if i just click save on its own and then exit afterwards

Hello
    Sometimes save and exit can cause issues. It is best not to use that , but to do as you are doing and to just "save" the game" , then exit after finishing saving .
  • Options
    EuphorialQueenEuphorialQueen Posts: 6,224 Member
    Just a quick note.
    Recently my computer became unstable and developed a non-recoverable error.
    The end result was a factory reset of my system back to the original Windows 7 OS.
    Everything was lost so I had to do a fresh install of Origin and all my Sims content to be able to play my game.
    The amazing part of this whole experience is there have been NO crashes on save followed by exit.
    *Side note (different issue) the Flea Market now has items available for purchase from the street vendor table.
    The last several times I had created fresh Sims folders with new saves the tables were empty.
    This makes me wonder if there is something specific to Windows 10 that causes issues with The Sims games.
  • Options
    Just a quick note.
    The end result was a factory reset of my system back to the original Windows 7 OS.
    Everything was lost so I had to do a fresh install of Origin and all my Sims content to be able to play my game.
    The amazing part of this whole experience is there have been NO crashes on save followed by exit.
    *Side note (different issue) the Flea Market now has items available for purchase from the street vendor table.
    The last several times I had created fresh Sims folders with new saves the tables were empty.
    This makes me wonder if there is something specific to Windows 10 that causes issues with The Sims games.

Hello
    It is helpful feedback on the issue that it hasn’t occured since you have had Windows 7 installed. There may be something in Windows 10, with the Creators update, that is causing issues.
  • Options
    honeywitchhoneywitch Posts: 321 Member
    This happens to me too whether I choose "save and exit" or choose "save" then "exit," but it's not every time and it still saves thank the gods (just in case I've started saving before exiting like I always did with TS3). I do have Windows 10 so perhaps it is a 10-specific problem.
  • Options
    StarWhispersStarWhispers Posts: 45 Member
    I was experiencing crashing every time I went to save and exit but contacted EA (No help was given) then had my husband help to reinstall my graphics drivers. It happens less often now. Hopefully EA gets this fixed.
  • Options
    ScottyiskawaiiScottyiskawaii Posts: 7 New Member
    This happens with me as well however this is upon exiting not saving.
  • Options
    This happens with me as well however this is upon exiting not saving.

Hello
    I am sorry that you also are having this issue. It seems to happen, as you said, when exiting the game. The game saves okay, but the issue occurs when exiting.
  • Options
    lulubadwolflulubadwolf Posts: 630 Member
    Just a quick note.

Same here. When i had played on my laptop (win 10) this crash often occurs, but lately i've been playing on my old desktop (win 8.1) and this crash had never happened.
  • Options
    Just a quick note.

Same here. When i had played on my laptop (win 10) this crash often occurs, but lately i've been playing on my old desktop (win 8.1) and this crash had never happened.

Hello
    It is helpful to hear that you also are not having this issue since playing on a computer that is not windows 10. It sounds like a Windows 10 update patch is causing this issue.
  • Options
    Tigger3336Tigger3336 Posts: 93 Member
    I have found that my game crashes, seemingly when there are 5 save files in the area where you can load a previous save. I have been going to the game, clicking the Load option, and deleting the oldest 4 saved files. I also have Win10 with the Creator Update, and have a custom built computer as I work heavily with graphic and large programs. Everything is updated, my game is allowed in my Avast Anti-virus, and it doesn't matter if I turn down the graphics and whatever else I can tweak. The game is always Saved, then Exited separately, but it always gets the white "Windows is looking for a solution..." upon crash.
    My Gallery page: Tigger3336
    Please stop by & leave some love. <3
    Sims4Studio Creator Page: sims4studio.com/thread/16306/tigger3336-creations
    My website for FREE #CC : https://tinyurl.com/ycybbczx
    Share if you like, everyone is welcome.