Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Paranormal Reads

Comments

• Options
    UmbralFlowerUmbralFlower Posts: 4,494 Member
    Just popping in to say I posted a new update. It's a pretty hefty chapter...but inspiration wouldn't shut up.
    ~*-*-*~ My SimLit: The Echoed Fragments || A Tale of Love and Fame ~*-*-*~
  • Options
    I made a thread for my story ( http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/912495/ ) so you can link that instead of my wordpress if you want @IchigoUsagi
  • Options
    NymphieaNymphiea Posts: 254 Member
    Posted another chapter, and going to read Dreams new chapter!
    Gen1.png
    Come check out my Sims 4 legacy story! We're on generation one currently.
    It's Just Another Story
  • Options
    Hello everyone! Chapter 4 is up~ I've been bitten by inspiration. It'll probably dry up soon. But who knows!
  • Options
    IchigoUsagiIchigoUsagi Posts: 822 Member
    @DreamsInPixels
    @LadyLobster
    @Yushika

Hey everybody! I was wondering if anyone would be up to doing a little discussion over the weekend. I was thinking that we could possibly talk about our characters and how they're perceived, but I'm open to suggestions if anyone else has any good topic ideas.
  • Options
    LadyLobsterLadyLobster Posts: 4,133 Member
    I really like that idea! I'm up for it. :)
    uduVcAP.png
  • Options
    I'm up for it. :D
  • Options
    I'm down for it!
    Gen1.png
    It's Just Another Story
  • Options
    Okay, that's two of us up and one of us down! And then whatever IchigoUsagi is. :#
    uduVcAP.png
  • Options
    But are you sideways?
    Gen1.png
    It's Just Another Story
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Yushika wrote: »
    But are you sideways?

Always.

So I was thinking we could all start out by listing around three to six characters that we want feedback on and then we could say our thoughts on them (Do we like them? Love to hate them? Think they need more development? And just generally say how we feel about them) And if we have anything specific we'd like to hear about our characters we can ask for feedback pertaining to that aspect.
  • Options
    Hmm, I have so many characters! I'll have to think on which ones I'd like feedback on. With some of them (the ones I haven't given POV chapters to yet), it's hard to ask for feedback when they're much more developed in my mind than they are in the story at the moment. What about your characters?
    uduVcAP.png
  • Options
    Hmm, I have so many characters! I'll have to think on which ones I'd like feedback on. With some of them (the ones I haven't given POV chapters to yet), it's hard to ask for feedback when they're much more developed in my mind than they are in the story at the moment. What about your characters?

Because I don't have many side characters at the moment, and not many main characters to begin with I don't have too many to choose from. I completely understand having characters more fleshed out in your head, though. Even though I feel like I've tried to put a focus on pretty much every main character it still feels like I haven't even scratched the surface of their whole personalities yet.

I think I'll ask for feedback on Vincent, Acacia, Marshall and Sullivan, as those are the characters I've dedicated the most time to.
  • Options
    So far, Vincent feels the most like the audience surrogate. We see the vampire world through his eyes, and we're introduced to this really strange situation through him. He's so young that I wonder if it's possible for him to turn out "normal," especially since he's adapted so quickly to the almost nightmarish reality he finds himself in. I'm not sure if he has much of a moral compass left at all and if that's part of what motivates him to put an end to the blackmail, or if it's purely a matter of survival--but I'm interested in finding out!

I think Acacia has the potential to grow into a really frightening, devious villain, but then again, she's young too. She definitely has the cunning and bitterness required to make her brother's life miserable, but Sullivan seems to have a reliable ally in Marshall. I wonder if Acacia will drag Vincent into the darkness with her, or if he can drag her out. Even if she's not a pleasant character at this point, she's still very fun to read about--the mark of a good villain, if you ask me! But also one with the potential to be relatable, judging by the hints at her past.

Sullivan is less clearly defined so far since we've mostly seen him as an antagonist for Vincent, someone to fear and avoid, but I know that will change as the story goes on. The latest chapter really showed a different, more innocent side of him that looks like it might've been forcefully stamped out by the cruelty of the vampire world, replaced by shame, uncertainty, and defensiveness. I love his relationship with Marshall--I think I'm more invested in their relationship at this point than Vincent and Acacia's, but that may be because of the kids' very young age.

Marshall automatically gets love points from me for being a cute butler. (Bianca isn't the only one who likes butlers, I guess!) I really like his loyalty toward Sullivan, but his literal humanity also seems to lead him to try to help Vincent too. He seems like a kind of protector to both characters. He's so cuuuute. I mean, I look forward to you elaborating on his backstory. o:)

Hmm, I wonder which characters of mine to choose. Maybe Byron, Bianca, Penny, and Lysander? Those are pretty much the main ones so far, though I plan to keep weaving in more POVs and giving other characters more "screentime." I'd love to know if there's a character that anyone feels could use more (or any) chapters dedicated to them, though eventually I hope to cover everyone! I've also noticed that when I read novels with a lot of POVs, there are some characters I really look forward to and others I prefer to skip--do you all feel that way toward any of my characters' chapters?
    uduVcAP.png
  • Options
    edited February 2017

I think I'll ask for feedback on Vincent, Acacia, Marshall and Sullivan, as those are the characters I've dedicated the most time to.

I agree with @LadyLobster on all of her points...I don't think there's anything I could add that wouldn't be repeating what she said.

Eveb though you didn't mention her, I'll say I would love to see more of Lady Desrosiers. I feel like there's a lot to her character that we haven't seen.
    Hmm, I wonder which characters of mine to choose. Maybe Byron, Bianca, Penny, and Lysander? Those are pretty much the main ones so far, though I plan to keep weaving in more POVs and giving other characters more "screentime." I'd love to know if there's a character that anyone feels could use more (or any) chapters dedicated to them, though eventually I hope to cover everyone! I've also noticed that when I read novels with a lot of POVs, there are some characters I really look forward to and others I prefer to skip--do you all feel that way toward any of my characters' chapters?

I love each of your POV characters...they feel individual. Bryon is my favorite because I see him as innocent and naive...and I love a man that can make me laugh (because I'm a very sulky dark person.)
    At first glance Bianca is a stuffy vampire matriarch, but beyond the surface she's a ball of stress and worry. I relate to that.
    Lysander and Penny are the humans with two different views into the vampire world: Lysander is the knowledgeable one, and Penny is our audience surrogate.

I look forward to all of your POVs. I would love to see more from Graham though...he's a hoot.

Edit:
    I forgot to say which characters I want reviewed, whoops.

I honestly don't know which ones, other than Guinevere, to ask about. So go wild!
  • Options
    For me, it's hard to pick since, atm, I have a set story going and only have done most of generation 1! However, I'm down to discuss any character someone pokes at for me!

@IchigoSullivan

With Sullivan and Marshall, I adore them, a lot. I love seeing the softer side of Sullivan compared to his rougher side he shows to the kids. As for Vincent, I'd love to hear more about where he comes from, as I've been wondering his life before the manor for awhile!
    Gen1.png
    It's Just Another Story
  • Options

I love each of your POV characters...they feel individual.

I look forward to all of your POVs. I would love to see more from Graham though...he's a hoot.

I'm glad to hear that! I really try to make them their own people and hope to avoid one of the multi-POV pitfalls I've encountered in novels that drives me up a wall: when you can't distinguish one character's voice from another.

And you're in luck--I've got the first draft of a Graham chapter queued up for after this next Bianca chapter I'll be posting Monday. He is really, really fun to write and he's one of my favorites.

Speaking of favorites, I absolutely love Guinevere so far. She's got such a distinct look and seems like a genuinely conscientious vampire. She's handling the death of her father well and seems to be carefully navigating the treacherous vampire world. She has some major uncertainties to address and many things to learn, but I love that she isn't a helpless damsel in distress. I know I'll enjoy watching her come into her own, even if she stumbles along the way.
    uduVcAP.png
  • Options
    For me, it's hard to pick since, atm, I have a set story going and only have done most of generation 1! However, I'm down to discuss any character someone pokes at for me!

I pick all of them! Jezebel introduces us to your story so she feels like the main character to me, and I really feel for her trying to make the best of her marriage to someone like Dante. Everyone is so ridiculously hot--it's a shame Dante is so cruel! But that cruelty and unpredictability translates into a compelling villain. Just as Jezebel struggles to get a read on him, I do too. I'd like to know what motivates him but it's kind of fun not knowing.

And then there's Petal. Poor, poor Petal. (It can't be said enough!) She managed to find a tiny bit of happiness in a horrible situation and Dante crushed it with his bare hands. I'm glad that she has her baby girl, but I wonder how long that will last. I know Jezebel fears "losing" her son in a different way. I read a lot of family saga novels, and the first generation always seems to have it the worst, with tragedy cascading down until the final, present-day generation finally seems to work things out. (I actually almost considered doing something like that with my story until my innate goofiness took over.) I wonder if this first generation will manage to do okay, but I suspect it'll be a long, difficult road ahead!
    uduVcAP.png
  • Options

I would love to know more about Petal. Like where does she come from? Who was she before she became Dante's plasma bag? Why did he choose her specifically? For me, the most mystery surrounds Petal.

I admit I may have missed any of the above things since I was reading the beginning chapters while cleaning...I should probably reread them lol.
  • Options
    @LadyLobster

I feel like Byron is really innocent and he just tries so hard. He's such a big goofy man-child and that's what makes him great.

As for Bianca, I relate to her on a spiritual level. I may not be an ancient, beautiful, blood-sucking vampiress, but I do enjoy cheesy romance stories and butlers. I love how she doesn't really know how to use technology and her spending habits are very entertaining.

Penny might be in the weirdest possible situation, but somehow she seems like the most 'normal' character. That isn't to say that she isn't awesome and spunky, just that she seems more relatable and down-to-earth. I don't know how she managed that being practically raised by half-naked fairies. Granted they probably never showed her those forms while they were raising her, that's still what they were. I hope that we eventually get a look into her post-kidnapping childhood.

Lysander is great. He's just such a butler, you know? But he's not completely without flaws or emotions so he's still interesting. I totally ship him with Bianca, btw.

And yes please I'd like a Graham chapter.
  • Options

I pick all of them! Jezebel introduces us to your story so she feels like the main character to me, and I really feel for her trying to make the best of her marriage to someone like Dante. Everyone is so ridiculously hot--it's a shame Dante is so cruel! But that cruelty and unpredictability translates into a compelling villain. Just as Jezebel struggles to get a read on him, I do too. I'd like to know what motivates him but it's kind of fun not knowing.

And then there's Petal. Poor, poor Petal. (It can't be said enough!) She managed to find a tiny bit of happiness in a horrible situation and Dante crushed it with his bare hands. I'm glad that she has her baby girl, but I wonder how long that will last. I know Jezebel fears "losing" her son in a different way. I read a lot of family saga novels, and the first generation always seems to have it the worst, with tragedy cascading down until the final, present-day generation finally seems to work things out. (I actually almost considered doing something like that with my story until my innate goofiness took over.) I wonder if this first generation will manage to do okay, but I suspect it'll be a long, difficult road ahead!

In the beginning, Dante was supposed to be the MC. However, as writing always does for me, they went completely out of my control and the story focused way more on Jezebel, which is fine! I like it! She's very interesting and I'm personally invested in her. I don't really view anyone as the main character, yet, as generation one for me is a lot of setting down relationships and foundations for future generations! I'm very excited to focus on Jack later. He's going to be a fun one!

And Petal, man. I always planned how her pregnancy would go and her being a single mother, however it crushed my soul seeing her mourn constantly for Sergio. She basically, whenever she isn't caring for Alice, is mourning his urn. I'm a complete and utter monster. ; n ;
    Gen1.png
    It's Just Another Story
  • Options

I would love to know more about Petal. Like where does she come from? Who was she before she became Dante's plasma bag? Why did he choose her specifically? For me, the most mystery surrounds Petal.

I admit I may have missed any of the above things since I was reading the beginning chapters while cleaning...I should probably reread them lol.

You're in luck! I'm planning a moment between Alice and Petal where Petal talks about her home life. As for why Dante picked her, it's alluded in their character bio's a tad, but tbh he picked her due to her eyes. He's vain, it makes sense he'd assume someone with unique eyes would be delicious (and he was right). I don't think his character thought he'd keep her around for so long, so there probably is some strange, possessive attachment he has towards her now. I'm still trying to wrangle from him why he keeps her around for years, but he's hiding that secret tightly!
    Gen1.png
    It's Just Another Story
  • Options

You're in luck! I'm planning a moment between Alice and Petal where Petal talks about her home life. As for why Dante picked her, it's alluded in their character bio's a tad, but tbh he picked her due to her eyes. He's vain, it makes sense he'd assume someone with unique eyes would be delicious (and he was right). I don't think his character thought he'd keep her around for so long, so there probably is some strange, possessive attachment he has towards her now. I'm still trying to wrangle from him why he keeps her around for years, but he's hiding that secret tightly!

I'm very excited for that chapter! I think Petal just mighy be my favorite. Shes strong-willed but would sacrifice herself for her child - which I can relate to.
    Ya know...now that you mention it, I do remember reading about the eye thing. It must've slipped my mind because of how much I read that day.
  • Options

In the beginning, Dante was supposed to be the MC. However, as writing always does for me, they went completely out of my control and the story focused way more on Jezebel, which is fine! I like it! She's very interesting and I'm personally invested in her. I don't really view anyone as the main character, yet, as generation one for me is a lot of setting down relationships and foundations for future generations! I'm very excited to focus on Jack later. He's going to be a fun one!

It's so interesting how our characters can just laugh in the face of our intentions and run away with the story, isn't it? So many of my characters did the same thing and the direction of my story completely changed, along with my expectations of who the most prominent protagonists and antagonists would be. (Though it seems like at this point, almost everyone is an antagonist to each other whether they mean to be or not...)

That's heartbreaking about Sergio's urn. Soon I'm just going to end up automatically calling her "Poor Petal"!
    uduVcAP.png