Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Add Hijabs and other cultural clothing

Comments

• Options
    MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,757 Member
    SSDSSDSSD2 wrote: »
    MadameLee wrote: »
    well considering I got bashed during the Sims 3 for wanting a burka/burqa in the game.
    This game has enough problems as is, nobody really cares if you want to not have sims in a religious garb or you want them in a religious garb. I personally am not a fan of premarital sex, but some people like that in their game then so be it. (People being too pc).

actually I DO want reglious garb-it's just others that wouldn't want it. I specifically said in my first post I want Jewish yippah caps that Jewish men wear, and I want the Kippas(?) that Muslim men wear (simliar to the Jewish cap). I even went more Jewish items-ie like driedel,etc. It's just there's so much Islamophobic because of how people view Islam.
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    SSDSSDSSD2SSDSSDSSD2 Posts: 217 Member
    actually I DO want reglious garb-it's just others that wouldn't want it. I specifically said in my first post I want Jewish yippah caps that Jewish men wear, and I want the Kippas(?) that Muslim men wear (simliar to the Jewish cap). I even went more Jewish items-ie like driedel,etc. It's just there's so much Islamophobic because of how people view Islam.
    I actually was supporting you, not being against you. But seriously the game has worse problems just related to clothing than religious clothes and that is no CAS tool.
  • Options
    I actually was supporting you, not being against you. But seriously the game has worse problems just related to clothing than religious clothes and that is no CAS tool.

sorry I didn't understand..I misunderstood

6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    TJKazuha09TJKazuha09 Posts: 74 Member
    Even though it's actually not offensive to add Hijab or something of sort in game, it's still too sensitive due to the amount of the specific religion extremist. I'll remind/tell you about the case where someone added the specific essence of the prayer's tone (even though it's actually an arabic traditional music) to their music. Those extremist went nuts, sue, and terrorize the company.

I don't believe EA want to risk that far.
  • Options
    TJKazuha09 wrote: »
    Even though it's actually not offensive to add Hijab or something of sort in game, it's still too sensitive due to the amount of the specific religion extremist. I'll remind/tell you about the case where someone added the specific essence of the prayer's tone (even though it's actually an arabic traditional music) to their music. Those extremist went nuts, sue, and terrorize the company.

I think they aren't adding it to not risk losing Muslim customers. Unlike any other gaming community in the world, the Sims seem to be most accurate with actual demographics. (Some games only have men, other games only have women, some only lgbt people play, some only certain nationalities play, but the Sims is diverse among that, which is something EA is too afraid to lose). But if they want to completely religious free, they shouldn't have added that holiday pack.
  • Options

I think they aren't adding it to not risk losing Muslim customers. Unlike any other gaming community in the world, the Sims seem to be most accurate with actual demographics. (Some games only have men, other games only have women, some only lgbt people play, some only certain nationalities play, but the Sims is diverse among that, which is something EA is too afraid to lose). But if they want to completely religious free, they shouldn't have added that holiday pack.

sorry but holiday pack is not related to that specific religion.. try to look at the history and you will know that it was actually just a culture that adjusted with that specific religion.
  • Options

sorry but holiday pack is not related to that specific religion.. try to look at the history and you will know that it was actually just a culture that adjusted with that specific religion.

oh? then why did that holiday pack included a Hanuka MENORAH -and it literally says that in it's description but yet anything related to Chistranty has to be called a "hoilday tree, wreath,etc" if they can mention one relgion in a description they should be allowed to call the other stuff a Christmas tree, wreath,etc. (I know those items aren't actually from Christianity but like the hoilday was stolen by Christanty from the Pagan reglions-some that still exist today)
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options

oh? then why did that holiday pack included a Hanuka MENORAH -and it literally says that in it's description but yet anything related to Chistranty has to be called a "hoilday tree, wreath,etc" if they can mention one relgion in a description they should be allowed to call the other stuff a Christmas tree, wreath,etc. (I know those items aren't actually from Christianity but like the hoilday was stolen by Christanty from the Pagan reglions-some that still exist today)

if its christian, there should be another thing like the baby jesus or saint marie or smthing. but you are missing my points. should i link you to news or smthing? i dont want to do that, you know.
  • Options
    MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    I know those items aren't actually from Christianity but like the hoilday was stolen by Christanty from the Pagan reglions-some that still exist today
    There's your answer.
    They don't belong to just one faith.
    Plus many secular people celebrate a variation of the festive season, decorating with trees and wreaths, giving gifts, and eating a feast.

As for what this thread is supposed to be about, not all cultural clothing is excessively modest, some is pretty relaxed, but I doubt they'd include much of that in the game.

Also, the sims is not supposed to be the real world. Sims don't speak any real world language, they don't have a real world belief system, they don't live in real world cities/towns, so why do people expect real world representation of specific cultures?
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • Options
    HeidrHeidr Posts: 148 Member

if its christian, there should be another thing like the baby jesus or saint marie or smthing. but you are missing my points. should i link you to news or smthing? i dont want to do that, you know.

This is the least topic I want to see your name in @TJKazuha09 , I know you.

But anyway, before I go to work, I want to give my opinion.

I think Hijab, Burqa, or other cultural elements can be added as long as they have context and concept in it. Beside, I don't think all hijab/burqa are related to Muslim anyway. They are Arabic and we already have Arabic element. We also already have East Asia element which are almost related to their religion (Shinto, Confucian, Buddhist, etc), and I don't need to mention about the relation betwen Christiany and Holiday pack.

Even if its truly too related to the religion, it has to be less obvious and without naming the religion though because religion is a sensitive issue and it's not allowed to add such elements bluntly, no matter what religion it is. There are extremist in all religion, there are always people who put religion as shield and excuses to what they did, do or about to do. You only brand one religion as [insert negative brand here] because you live in an environment where people think that way and media want to lead you to think that way. I've lived my life long enough as a person who is discriminated, but I stand on my principal: I don't want to brand person from their race/culture background/relgion and I'm fine to have them in a life simulator like the sims.

The only thing I'm concerned about is: If EA officially add this in game, will user truly use them for a good use?

k, I might add something else later but I gtg work. later.
  • Options
    ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    Please don't be offended by what I will say

Hijabs even though they are cultural, items they are now, too closely associated with a certain Abrahamic religion to ever be included in a Sims game. You do have some options of cultural clothing if you have the new City Living pack.

We have a menorah and Hanukkah lights, which are also closely associated with "a certain Abrahamic religion" of a different type. I see no issue with including hijabs as a cultural item. They could even be adapted for storytelling purposes -- an old-fashioned family where the women dress modestly (at least one of the dresses from Get Together could work) and keep their heads covered, for example, with a teen family member breaking away from family tradition when she's out on the town.
    The menorah comes in a optional pack key word OPTIONAL you are talking about adding religious clothing to the game which many do not want and this game gives you no option to delete it. The women in my game are not oppressed and don't have to hide themselves as not to offend men.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Options
    Non-Muslims wear head scarves as well, so the gaming community should call it a head scarf. I got no problem with Sims wearing Kippas, Crosses, Hijabs, Turbans, or whatever religious item they want; in fact I think diverse religions makes it relatable, let's not forget the entire Sims Medieval game where religion was the foundation of the game, (and you got a negative buff for being agnostic). EA can't claim that they don't want religion and then incorporate it, and then take it away: (I still play TSM regardless of Peteran and Jacoban religious fights).

• Options
    CinderellimouseCinderellimouse Posts: 19,380 Member
    I think it's best to add neutral tools and clothing that players can use for religion if they want it. I recently made a church in my game and found I had lots of content to support it: like lots of traditional architecture; the organ; the podium; etc. I made a Sim who will be the priest and had him set up a club of Sims who I thought would probably attend church. I set the church as the specific hang-out spot for the club, and gave them club rules such as reading, singing, giving speeches, and playing the organ. It works pretty well. All this with no actual religious content.

However, I couldn't find any appropriate clothing for the priest. I'd love it if they added a generic top/suit with a recolour that looked like a priest's collar. I wouldn't say this is intended to be any specific religion, but more of a certain archetype style of religion, if that makes sense. Generic Western Religion. :D

I also have Generic Eastern Religion. I use the yoga mat and meditation stool for this. I don't have a venue at the moment.

I like to have Sims from all different backgrounds and places. I like variety. Also, I live in a multi-cultural area and it's normal for me to see lots of different cultural backgrounds in the world around me. I'm pleased they added more diverse clothing in City Living, I like the turban and head-wraps.

I think if that add generic cultural clothing then that's fine. I'd love a basic headscarf. Yes, I'd use it for my Generic Eastern Religion Sims, but I'd also use it for my vintage glamour Sims: ex-movie stars who would wear them with big glasses so as not to be recognised (but would be conspicuous in their disguise!). I think a head scarf with lots of bright prints as well as plain options would be really useful. In fact, I saw a girl with her pink scarf pulled up over her head today because it was raining, she didn't look particularly religious to me.

goldengirls_zps3ac1eeae.jpg

03d1bedbce252cc5fef351104ae0341e.jpg

ac87138a633d86edd7411453f6de8477.jpg

3436-25643-red-sunglass-full.jpg

These examples would be generic enough to not be particularly religious, but could be used by people who want to make a Sim with a certain background.
    ChadSims2 wrote: »
    The women in my game are not oppressed and don't have to hide themselves as not to offend men.

Just to be super clear. Women should be able to choose to wear whatever they want. If they are happy to show a little flesh then that's up to them. Likewise, if a woman chooses to cover herself up then that is also their choice. I understand your thinking here, but plenty of women choose to wear more conservative clothing because they might feel more comfortable that way, or they might feel respectful of their culture and their heritage. The idea that women who choose to dress conservatively are 'oppressed' is not necessarily true. I like wearing big jumpers and squirrelling down into the depths of my furry coat hood, usually because I feel the cold easily. But I'm not oppressed. I could go out in heels, with bare legs, a sleek coat, and a face plastered in make-up, but I think I'd feel like I was being forced to conform to society's expectations rather than just being comfy and happy in my big coat and converse. Let women wear whatever the plumb they want! Sims too. Everyone really.

#TeamCulturalDiversity
  • Options
    HeidrHeidr Posts: 148 Member
    I think it's best to add neutral tools and clothing that players can use for religion if they want it. I recently made a church in my game and found I had lots of content to support it: like lots of traditional architecture; the organ; the podium; etc. I made a Sim who will be the priest and had him set up a club of Sims who I thought would probably attend church. I set the church as the specific hang-out spot for the club, and gave them club rules such as reading, singing, giving speeches, and playing the organ. It works pretty well. All this with no actual religious content.

However, I couldn't find any appropriate clothing for the priest. I'd love it if they added a generic top/suit with a recolour that looked like a priest's collar. I wouldn't say this is intended to be any specific religion, but more of a certain archetype style of religion, if that makes sense. Generic Western Religion. :D

I also have Generic Eastern Religion. I use the yoga mat and meditation stool for this. I don't have a venue at the moment.

I like to have Sims from all different backgrounds and places. I like variety. Also, I live in a multi-cultural area and it's normal for me to see lots of different cultural backgrounds in the world around me. I'm pleased they added more diverse clothing in City Living, I like the turban and head-wraps.

I think if that add generic cultural clothing then that's fine. I'd love a basic headscarf. Yes, I'd use it for my Generic Eastern Religion Sims, but I'd also use it for my vintage glamour Sims: ex-movie stars who would wear them with big glasses so as not to be recognised (but would be conspicuous in their disguise!). I think a head scarf with lots of bright prints as well as plain options would be really useful. In fact, I saw a girl with her pink scarf pulled up over her head today because it was raining, she didn't look particularly religious to me.

goldengirls_zps3ac1eeae.jpg

03d1bedbce252cc5fef351104ae0341e.jpg

ac87138a633d86edd7411453f6de8477.jpg

3436-25643-red-sunglass-full.jpg

These examples would be generic enough to not be particularly religious, but could be used by people who want to make a Sim with a certain background.
    ChadSims2 wrote: »
    The women in my game are not oppressed and don't have to hide themselves as not to offend men.

Just to be super clear. Women should be able to choose to wear whatever they want. If they are happy to show a little flesh then that's up to them. Likewise, if a woman chooses to cover herself up then that is also their choice. I understand your thinking here, but plenty of women choose to wear more conservative clothing because they might feel more comfortable that way, or they might feel respectful of their culture and their heritage. The idea that women who choose to dress conservatively are 'oppressed' is not necessarily true. I like wearing big jumpers and squirrelling down into the depths of my furry coat hood, usually because I feel the cold easily. But I'm not oppressed. I could go out in heels, with bare legs, a sleek coat, and a face plastered in make-up, but I think I'd feel like I was being forced to conform to society's expectations rather than just being comfy and happy in my big coat and converse. Let women wear whatever the plumb they want! Sims too. Everyone really.

#TeamCulturalDiversity

I agree with this. Neutral looking decoration, tools, fashion and objects should be the best bet if people wants cultural essence to be added in game. Also, I second her opinion about women should be able to choose to wear whatever they want, but with addition, as long as they also respect the norm of their own society (Ex: being topless and walk around the street is disrespectful to the society, so I wouldn't accept that too. I wouldn't mind if they are topless at the beach though, as what I mentioned: it has purpose, context, and concept).

As for Headscarf (Hijab, Burqa, etc.) I think if it added along with the world (maybe for an EP which might be similar to Egypt in world adventure), it will be completely fine since Sims wants to express the culture of the sims who live in there.) But if it just for "the fashion", might have to really think carefully since it might led to an opinion we don't want if it happen to be used for something wrong by user.

Additionally, I deactived TJKazuha09's account. It was originally my origin alt account I created for a purpose, he (my...friend?) was too lazy to create an account, but since he is about to use it for something I don't like, I deactived it. No more trying to point out flaws in a sensitive issue like this. So please ignore anything he said, he won't response anymore... with that account at least.

• Options
    comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    Jestina wrote: »
    I don't see that happening. They would also have to include various clothing from other real religions...and that is a hot topic they most likely want to avoid.

I agree
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Options
    friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,546 Member
    i did not went to post in this topic but here is my 2 cent in this thread for 1 thing the sims4 is a game even if its a life simulator its still a game so everyone is in title in the game to have clothes they like in game, and has a gamer who visted egypt during a cruise in 2010 i can say that everything was equal in term of clothes eather your belife is muslim or not i think every one in the game should have clothes to get the missing clothes i went in game i have to rely on custom content would be nice to have more choice in clothes with out having to rely on custom content not every simmer plays with custom content in there game after all.
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • Options
    YardenroYardenro Posts: 376 Member
    @MadameLee just to correct you, Kippas ARE jewish. IDK the name for its' Muslim twin, but Kippa is jewish.
    I'm from Israel, so I'd know...

-Yarden.
  • Options
    Yardenro wrote: »
    @MadameLee just to correct you, Kippas ARE jewish. IDK the name for its' Muslim twin, but Kippa is jewish.
    I'm from Israel, so I'd know...

thanks for the correction.. it's appears that the Muslim version is called Taqiyah

On another topic might I remind the people who don't want the headscarves in the game that once upon a time though the 1950s and 60s Christan women had to cover their hair in church? There's a reason in movies like the 1960s Pollyana and the 1985 Anne of Green movie that the women and children wear hats i church. So were they "opressed" as well?

5cee7e9c11333a5b5d902532fbb22a82.jpg

6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    don't want religion in my sims game at all because the sims is a game thats meant to be played with
    and I don't play with religion because its a holy thing
  • Options
    pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    don't want religion in my sims game at all because the sims is a game thats meant to be played with
    I am all for the religions they had in The Sims Medieval because they weren't real. That would be fun to go to church with your sims.

tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • Options
    *walk away before I argue more*
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    I think this is a great idea. Well, kind of. Sure, there are some negative connotations, but it's Sims supposed to be blowing off about sharing cultures? And it is culture. I've seen people go on endlessly about whether Hijabs are a good or bad thing and I say they're neither good OR bad. What is bad is any predjudice towards having them because "Having clothes culturally associated with Islam might make us look like we support terrorists or something!"

On the other hand, there are no other religious clothings in the game - no dog collars or saffron robes or kippahs. If Maxis pulled one they would be obliged to do the others or they'd REALLY get some flack for prejudice.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Loanet wrote: »
    I think this is a great idea. Well, kind of. Sure, there are some negative connotations, but it's Sims supposed to be blowing off about sharing cultures? And it is culture. I've seen people go on endlessly about whether Hijabs are a good or bad thing and I say they're neither good OR bad. What is bad is any predjudice towards having them because "Having clothes culturally associated with Islam might make us look like we support terrorists or something!"

On the other hand, there are no other religious clothings in the game - no dog collars or saffron robes or kippahs. If Maxis pulled one they would be obliged to do the others or they'd REALLY get some flack for prejudice.

I was trying to walk away but I just going to point out that in some places like Egypt-Christan and Jewish women also wear headscarves or what we might consider to be hijabs (which is technically an headscarf wrapped in a particular way around a person's head)..so it's not JUST Muslim women who wear headscarves) so it';s not so much religion-but cultral thing.

As I also pointed out earlier on that even in the more civlized countries-(ie Europe and here in U.S. and the Canada) until the 1920s women had to cover there hair as well (as evidence in movies like the 1960s Pollyana and maybe Beauty and the Beast for two seconds in the movie Belle has her hair covered in the Belle reprise not to mention the entire rest of the townswomenfolk in the opening number and Disney's Snow White's EQ )

and in some places they still required you do that in the 50s and 60s in church as well (Truth mom remembers it). UK's Queen wore a headscarf once need I go on. And in some cases married or at least "bethored" women were supposed to be veiled vs. those "lovely ladies of the night"

oh and during the Sims 3-the second or 3rd Hoilday Pack in the store added some reglious element to the set but no one seemed to have notice that the "Santa Clause" outfit looked like a Priest's or at least an England's archbishop outfit then Santa Clause (sure it was based on St. Nick but still St. Nick is a relgious figure much like Jesus in some cases)

So headscarves could be used in either a religious, political, social, economy (ie a richer person vs. a poor person) or even in a historical way. In my own legacy when Gen 6 is a teen she's going to be wearing one of those headwrap things in City Living to show that basically she's a slave to her "step-family"

*walks away quickly*
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    BlueR0seBlueR0se Posts: 1,595 Member
    Id be for a hijab, or some headscarf variation.
  • Options

I don't have anything against the holiday pack or anything like that .
    I just don't want my sims practice real religions or having holy wars.
    we get enough holy wars in our world. I don't want to see them hate each other
    also what if you didn't want your sims to have religion and you cant turn it off .