Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Add Hijabs and other cultural clothing

I would love it if The Sims added Hijabs. Some of my characters are Muslim and it's important for them to wear them. Other clothing from different cultures would be nice too. I think they added a few thing in the City expansion pack, but more the merrier!

Comments

• MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,749 Member
    Please don't be offended by what I will say

Hijabs even though they are cultural, items they are now, too closely associated with a certain Abrahamic religion to ever be included in a Sims game. You do have some options of cultural clothing if you have the new City Living pack.
    6adMCGP.gif
  • OracularDreamOracularDream Posts: 4 New Member
    Thank you so much for the links! Sadly, mods don't work on my computer. No idea why.
    edited November 2016
    MadameLee wrote: »

Hijabs even though they are cultural, items they are now, too closely associated with a certain Abrahamic religion to ever be included in a Sims game. You do have some options of cultural clothing if you have the new City Living pack.

We have a menorah and Hanukkah lights, which are also closely associated with "a certain Abrahamic religion" of a different type. I see no issue with including hijabs as a cultural item. They could even be adapted for storytelling purposes -- an old-fashioned family where the women dress modestly (at least one of the dresses from Get Together could work) and keep their heads covered, for example, with a teen family member breaking away from family tradition when she's out on the town.

Well, yeah but those items haven't been corrupted by cultural unlike the hijab has. Once during the Sims 3 someone tried to claim that the Hanuka menorah looked like the Advent candles. Even though technically Middle-Eastern Jews and Christans do wear them as well.
    6adMCGP.gif
  • TheoriesOfHappinessTheoriesOfHappiness Posts: 1,126 Member
    i would love to have a hijab in game, along with other cultural outfits, such as traditional hanboks, kimonos or even saris. :)
  • Bluebeard45Bluebeard45 Posts: 3,889 Member
    Thank you for your idea.Here is a nice trophy for just showing up.
    Thank you for your idea.Here is a nice trophy for just showing up.

??????

We have a menorah and Hanukkah lights, which are also closely associated with "a certain Abrahamic religion" of a different type. I see no issue with including hijabs as a cultural item. They could even be adapted for storytelling purposes -- an old-fashioned family where the women dress modestly (at least one of the dresses from Get Together could work) and keep their heads covered, for example, with a teen family member breaking away from family tradition when she's out on the town.

Exactly! It feels odd having characters of different ethnicity, but only having American/white styled clothing. If The Sims manages to have a Day of the Dead themed event than a Hijab isn't weird at all!
    edited November 2016
    Even though technically Christan and Jewish women in the middle-eastern countries (like Sryia, Iraq, Iran, Afghastan-ironically where we are fighting on holly land technically) can wear hijabs/headscarves technically. For westerners, we too closely associated it with Islam to ever be allowed into a game. Not just with religion a lot of people (not everyone-I don't) views them as 'oppressing' women even though several women wear them of their own free will.

BTW I would like to see Jewish hats boys and men have to wear Kippahs (and some Muslims wear something similar)

I would also like a dreidel to go with the holiday sets-

ironically for me if I was to use the Christmas tree I would also allow for the Hanuka menorah as well since technically... the person who birth we're celebrating was technically Jewish

there are a million things I would like in the Sims to make MY version of a utopia since the way everyone is able bodied and basically looks the same except for skin colour..
    6adMCGP.gif
  • MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    Interesting topic.
    Maurice-Moss-Eating-Popcorn-The-IT-Crowd.gif
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • TentacrocaclesTentacrocacles Posts: 449 Member
    This is a great idea! It'd add so much diversity to the game and hijabs are also quite pretty! I don't even follow the religion personally but I'd find myself using the clothing if it was added to the game.
    A link to my most recent build in the gallery

tumblr_inline_okebxv2e9a1shjovd_1280.png
  • CinderellimouseCinderellimouse Posts: 19,380 Member
    I'd really like a hijab, and/or a general headscarf in that style. I'm very happy with the wraps we got in City Living, and some nice bright/patterned/plain swatches on a headscarf would be really lovely too. I'd like at least one hijab because they're really common where I live and I like to reflect the real world in my game. But I think headscarves are pretty and stylish and not necessarily just for religious purposes.

ab99e993728f40b7a98d3b66f2df094a.jpg
  • YardenroYardenro Posts: 376 Member
    @MadameLee are you israeli?

-Yarden.
  • FoxzVivianaFoxzViviana Posts: 128 Member
    I think about this all the time. 100% on board. Maybe there should be some kind of "cultural immersion" stuff pack, where it comes with things relating too/popular in other cultures.

The pack could have new recipe's that are popular in the other cultures, maybe even another career branch of "Foreign Service Officer" or something relating to travel/ being in another country. It would definitely add a sense of realism to the game.

The stuff pack would be optional, as you have some people who are completely against other religion belief's/tradition. But I would adore something like that!
    Yardenro wrote: »
    @MadameLee are you israeli?

nope, I'm Canadian with Scottish, British, and a dash French heritage. Also, I'm a historian as well in a sense-because I'm a smart person who "Remember the past, so we don't repeat it"
    6adMCGP.gif
  • dosnaqdosnaq Posts: 1 New Member
    I wish there were hijabs too! If the Sims team really wants to promote diversity, it is an absolute necessity to add hijabs! I was kinda bummed City Living did not have the traditional "hijab" that everyone thinks of. There's CC, but the options are really limited. In addition, it'd be kinda cool if we got some Eid themed stuff around the holidays, so the Sims who don't celebrate Christmas can have some holiday fun too!
    The Sims 4 added a bunch of options for sims of varying sexualities/gender identities, so it's not like they are afraid of being "too controversial" for Western consumption.
  • Zany102Zany102 Posts: 72 Member
    Yes! Completely agree with hijabs and more diversity in clothing.
  • SSDSSDSSD2SSDSSDSSD2 Posts: 217 Member
    I'd personally love it if they included Turbans and whatnot.
  • zuzumax2zuzumax2 Posts: 78 Member
    Even though technically Christan and Jewish women in the middle-eastern countries (like Sryia, Iraq, Iran, Afghastan-ironically where we are fighting on holly land technically) can wear hijabs/headscarves technically. For westerners, we too closely associated it with Islam to ever be allowed into a game. Not just with religion a lot of people (not everyone-I don't) views them as 'oppressing' women even though several women wear them of their own free will.

BTW I would like to see Jewish hats boys and men have to wear Kippahs (and some Muslims wear something similar)

ironically for me if I was to use the Christmas tree I would also allow for the Hanuka menorah as well since technically... the person who birth we're celebrating was technically Jewish

there are a million things I would like in the Sims to make MY version of a utopia since the way everyone is able bodied and basically looks the same except for skin colour..

I don't see any problem with having hijabs in the game. It's not just a sign of people being "oppressed", it's also a symbol of privacy and modesty. That's just their religion and what they do. And yes, there are people who decide if they want to wear it but there is also the older people who grew up with that tradition and kept that tradition through their lives. And some of those older people probably raised their children to do the same. It's the same with anyone. Keeping tradition and/or passing down to the next generation. If anything we need more diversity in the sims. More clothes and objects for different religions and ethnicity. In city living we only got very few clothing/object items. Saris/turbans/kimono etc.
    So what if it's too closely associated with Islam? Not everyone has that way of thinking. It's kinda like saying there shouldn't be the option for same sex couples because not everyone likes the idea of that. There is always going to be people who are racist/prejudice against other people, their way of life and/or their religion or ethnicity. If the clothing choice for a hijab bothers someone, then they don't have to play as someone with a hijab or interact with another sim that has a hijab if they are that against it. For those kind of people, there is no loss, they play the game like they normally would, for others it's a great gain, especially the people who enjoy diversity in their game. It makes the game more realistic and lively.
    7wjjB5a.gif
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,627 Member
    SSDSSDSSD2 wrote: »
    I'd personally love it if they included Turbans and whatnot.

There are turbans in City Living, but they're both decorated and have tails. I'd love more turbans to have a plainer one.

Still want lots more kinds of headscarfs too, hijab included :)
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
    zuzumax2 wrote: »

I don't see any problem with having hijabs in the game. It's not just a sign of people being "oppressed", it's also a symbol of privacy and modesty. That's just their religion and what they do. And yes, there are people who decide if they want to wear it but there is also the older people who grew up with that tradition and kept that tradition through their lives. And some of those older people probably raised their children to do the same. It's the same with anyone. Keeping tradition and/or passing down to the next generation. If anything we need more diversity in the sims. More clothes and objects for different religions and ethnicity. In city living we only got very few clothing/object items. Saris/turbans/kimono etc.
    So what if it's too closely associated with Islam? Not everyone has that way of thinking. It's kinda like saying there shouldn't be the option for same sex couples because not everyone likes the idea of that. There is always going to be people who are racist/prejudice against other people, their way of life and/or their religion or ethnicity. If the clothing choice for a hijab bothers someone, then they don't have to play as someone with a hijab or interact with another sim that has a hijab if they are that against it. For those kind of people, there is no loss, they play the game like they normally would, for others it's a great gain, especially the people who enjoy diversity in their game. It makes the game more realistic and lively.

well considering I got bashed during the Sims 3 for wanting a burka/burqa in the game.
    6adMCGP.gif
  • JestinaJestina Posts: 1,609 Member
    I don't see that happening. They would also have to include various clothing from other real religions...and that is a hot topic they most likely want to avoid.
  • SSDSSDSSD2SSDSSDSSD2 Posts: 217 Member
    well considering I got bashed during the Sims 3 for wanting a burka/burqa in the game.
    This game has enough problems as is, nobody really cares if you want to not have sims in a religious garb or you want them in a religious garb. I personally am not a fan of premarital sex, but some people like that in their game then so be it. (People being too pc).
  • SimmeringBreeSimmeringBree Posts: 266 Member
    I would love TS4 to have hijabs it gives the game more aspects and variety.