Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Add Hijabs and other cultural clothing

Comments

• AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    edited December 2018
    I don't want any real life religious simbols in my game. I already am not a fan of having a menorah and a kinara in the objects' catalogue.
    The Sims is a videogame of a sort of alternate universe/reality, not the real world we live in.
    I am happy nonetheless with the clothes that came with City Living as they add variety and style and are not religious but cultural.
    Keep the game religion free and for whoever needs to add real life religious things to the game, there's always CC. This is the kind of thing for what CC is for in my opinion.
    Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
  • EA_LannaEA_Lanna Posts: 3,867 EA Community Manager
    Hi folks, a wee reminder that if this discussion becomes political or religious focused in nature it will be breaking our forum rules on that. I would ask members to try to keep the discussion free from these elements as a result :) Other than that, we're happy for you to have this space to talk about this. Thanks Simmers.
    • New Simmers, take a moment to read through this thread.
    • The Help Center is hosted on Answers HQ. Check out EA_Mage's thread on why.
    • Please post all Sims 4 Bug Reports, Technical and Gameplay issues in the AHQ Sims 4 Section.
    • Here is a quick link to The Sims forum rules
    oa2aib6yaucg.jpg

• RoyallyslowRoyallyslow Posts: 1 New Member
    i would love for an addition of Hijabs and other tribal/cultural things.
  • SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member

*snip*

goldengirls_zps3ac1eeae.jpg

03d1bedbce252cc5fef351104ae0341e.jpg

ac87138a633d86edd7411453f6de8477.jpg

3436-25643-red-sunglass-full.jpg

*snip*

#TeamCulturalDiversity

Hmm... I would not like something that was clearly religious added but a nice headscarf could be a sexy addition to CAS for my sims. If you play with fun patterns and colors it can be a very pretty item to wear. Here are a few stylish women wearing said item and they are rocking it. Something like this looks good to me, it is a nice addition to bring style to your sims. I don't think religion when I see this. For me it is style. I guess that it is the fact that you see a lot of hair that makes it a fun fashion item to me. So, for me personally, fun option to wear scarf that shows a bit of hair could be fun and cute in that Audrey Hepburn-kind-of-way.

Headscarfs.jpg
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,750 Member
    edited August 2019
    Hijab is a cultural item..but religious thing. It's a misinterpretion of the Koran/Quaran. Might I point out a certain religion mother (and other female members of these books) wears a head covering? Even the QUEEN wears something on hear head when she goes outdoors and guess what? It's sometimes a headscarf. What about the head coverings of the male royalty in Saudi Arabi? In Egypt Christians wear head coverings..so it's not just something Muslim. What about Fiddler on the Roof you notice how some of the women wear head coverings? So women wearing head covering isn't stritckly a Muslim thing. I mean Christians women didn't get to have their heads uncovered until the 70s. (Remember seeing 1960s Pollyana with Haliley Mills?) or what about in Anne of Green Gables (read the book)?

Guess what? the wedding veil at weddings are part of these head covering..remember the story of (father of "Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat"?) it's was via a head covering he got double-crossed by his uncle

So if you don't want hijabs..you shouldn't want (wedding) veils in the game, Caribbean/Middle Eastern/African turbans (on and in some parts of Africa women wear head cover to "ward off evil sprits"), nun's wimples,etc
    Post edited by MadameLee on
    6adMCGP.gif
  • AuzzPandaAuzzPanda Posts: 1,235 Member
    stop it, stop it stop it stop it the sims 4 needs a hundred thousand other things in order to improve the core fundamental gameplay and you're out here going on about the most meaningless of- i swear mate you need to get your priorities in order. like are you just doing this for attention? ''oh look at me im so accepting'' ugh why would you want that if you cant enjoy it anyways because of how lacking the game is
    23rif7.gif
  • SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    AuzzPanda wrote: »
    stop it, stop it stop it stop it the sims 4 needs a hundred thousand other things in order to improve the core fundamental gameplay and you're out here going on about the most meaningless of- i swear mate you need to get your priorities in order. like are you just doing this for attention? ''oh look at me im so accepting'' ugh why would you want that if you cant enjoy it anyways because of how lacking the game is

Hmm... I would like to see the occults get some attention this year, at least I hope they will. I do not however believe that making one piece of headgear available will in any way compare to the cost of developing a new lifestate.
  • SanuliiSanulii Posts: 14 New Member
    I would love to have hijabs too in the game. Also would love to see some cross necklaces and other religion stuff as well as cultural stuff. It is pretty annoying that there is only few items outside of american culture.
  • Jon the WizardJon the Wizard Posts: 268 Member
    I wouldn't mind having them in the game. I thought one of the better things about the City Living expansion was the outfit styles we hadn't really seen in the Sims before this point (I mean other than through DLC for The Sims 3), so why not, I say.
  • LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    edited January 2019
    I'm not sure about the full length dress. It's a bit too strong on the religious thing and nowadays you can't blow your nose without offending some SJW. But I really don't see why the more simple head coverings can't be an option. There's a lot of colours to them and they're worn by many cultures. They're also usually the head-covering method of choice for younger Islamic girls.

It's just a small CAS thing; it's not like it will delay University.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • leo3487leo3487 Posts: 4,062 Member
    EA_Lanna wrote: »
    Hi folks, a wee reminder that if this discussion becomes political or religious focused in nature it will be breaking our forum rules on that. I would ask members to try to keep the discussion free from these elements as a result :) Other than that, we're happy for you to have this space to talk about this. Thanks Simmers.

ok, when you temporary baned me was because I taken this dress (and all other related) similar to Burka
  • MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member

One culture deems the clothing of another culture is inappropriate, and next thing you know you're told that woad isn't enough, and you have to put pants on!
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • SuceressSuceress Posts: 1,679 Member
    I'm all for this. There are people who wear head coverings and certain clothing styles just because they like the look. I've known Christian women who wore "hijabs" because they were bald & didn't want/couldn't afford wigs or who were losing their hair and were embarrassed. Some just liked the look because there are some very pretty ones with gold embroidery & beads. My mother wears a triangular head scarf when she goes out in public (which isn't often because she's disabled & prefers to stay at home) because she doesn't like how her hair looks, even though she's 68 & doesn't have gray hair.
    There are numerous hats that I know some people wear for fashion that started out as religious/cultural- such as the taqiyah or another one that starts with song (but the language sensor won't let me put the last 3 letters bc it is considered offensive- another term for rooster but spelled with K around the O).
    I also think it would be entertaining to have hats from different eras brought in. There were some pretty funny hats centuries ago.
  • HimRumiHimRumi Posts: 1,444 Member
    We have head wraps from city living, most of which cover the entire head, a temporary alternative could be Custom Content. I do hope the team considers more cultural wear.
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    I would like to have one in the game though, they have menora and decorative spruce tree, I dont see why somebody get offended just because there is a hijab in the game (if any will be added).
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • WildIrishBansheeWildIrishBanshee Posts: 2,105 Member
    Meh, I'm neither for it or against it. Personally, I hate head coverings, I always feel like something shady is about to happen, or that they're keeping secrets. There are very few hats allowed in my game - and it's pretty much just ball caps and the odd hat here and there. Sometimes a sim really needs a hat! So whether it gets added or not doesn't really affect me. Not sure why I feel that way, just always have...never got a good feeling about someone wearing certain hats, headscarves or whatever. I'm all for cultural diversity, except when it comes to head coverings lol. I want to see hair! :)
  • MrSpacemanMrSpaceman Posts: 382 Member
    I don't feel like it's a good idea. Honestly, I think that everything connected with the real religion shouldn't be in the game.
  • SuceressSuceress Posts: 1,679 Member
    MrSpaceman wrote: »
    I don't feel like it's a good idea. Honestly, I think that everything connected with the real religion shouldn't be in the game.

It's not about religion, it's cultural. There are Christians who wear hijabs either to fit in or because they find them comfortable. They have holiday packs with trees & other decorations, so I don't see why they can't have cultural clothing. If people don't like it they don't have to use it.
  • KaronKaron Posts: 2,332 Member
    edited August 2019
    MadameLee wrote: »
    Loanet wrote: »
    @MadameLee "She's wearing a HAT! That's got to have some sort of religious significance and adds weight to my argument that Christians can be predjudiced against women too!"

Except... I was trying to take the middle ground anyway.

yeah but Mom has told me about when she was growing up in the 50s and 60s that Christans women/girls still had to cover their hair in church. Not to mention stuff. I don't know when that stopped-the late 60s. I would beleive (and I'm not even going to get into the fact that girls of any faith in the 60s/70s were oppressed in one way that they had to wear skirt/dresses that were a certain length at high school.. the 70s was when girls could start to wear jeans in school)

So I sometimes get annoyed with the "dresses" in the Sims 4 since they aren't full-lenght

Today, in Brazil, i often see married womens using stuff to cover their hair on evangelical churchs. There is nothing wrong with hijabs, many people act like if they are ALWAYS forced to use them. I mean, some countries have very strict rules dictating their dress codes, but most of the time they just want to use them. I heard that some of them even think that western womens are being forced to use short skirts/tops and bikinis to please the western male society. (Also, i am not saying that toxic masculinity don't force women to use or not use some stuff. I am just saying that there are girls that use hijabs and play The Sims and would love to have representation in the game).

@DeservedCriticism I also don't see who would be explicitly offended if they added hijabs to the game. Only some racist and xenophobic people, but, huh, their hateful thoughts don't matter at all.
    I honestly hope this will never ever happen. That would be shame if they added hijabs

like that! So lame...
    Hey guys did you hear about Muslim content is "coming soon" to the Sims 4? a hijab is one of the items coming.
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Becka28Becka28 Posts: 1,870 Member
    I think headscarves like those pictured throughout this thread would be a lovely idea. They are not religious per se and would be lovely to use with characters like Judith Ward if you were trying to create a glamorous Old Hollywood sim a la Grace Kelly. Or if your sim was cleaning or fishing etc and wanted to protect her hair. Certain rockabilly dress styles feature head scarves too.
  • MsKatieRoseMsKatieRose Posts: 672 Member
    edited September 2019
    Error
    Always be your unapologetically and authentic self
    edited September 2019

We have a menorah and Hanukkah lights, which are also closely associated with "a certain Abrahamic religion" of a different type. I see no issue with including hijabs as a cultural item. They could even be adapted for storytelling purposes -- an old-fashioned family where the women dress modestly (at least one of the dresses from Get Together could work) and keep their heads covered, for example, with a teen family member breaking away from family tradition when she's out on the town.

Candles and clothing are two separate kinds of culture items so that is not a valid comparison. More over, I hope Hijabs or anything oppressive is NOT added as we all need to embrace change and progress when it comes to women of Islamic faith and women (and girls) in this world period. Not go backwards. Not even for a story.

sorry but it's going to BE added https://simsvip.com/2019/09/03/the-sims-4-new-muslim-inspired-content-coming-soon/?fbclid=IwAR3WsZLUxLpkeG64B6uQnKpVGMJ56wZVn9FzuWda3XpqEJFYEF1UQPCNwVE

BTW Christan women wear them in places like Egypt by CHOICE.
    6adMCGP.gif
  • MsKatieRoseMsKatieRose Posts: 672 Member
    I think about this all the time. 100% on board. Maybe there should be some kind of "cultural immersion" stuff pack, where it comes with things relating too/popular in other cultures.

The pack could have new recipe's that are popular in the other cultures, maybe even another career branch of "Foreign Service Officer" or something relating to travel/ being in another country. It would definitely add a sense of realism to the game.

The stuff pack would be optional, as you have some people who are completely against other religion belief's/tradition. But I would adore something like that!

Not a bad idea! It could also include the Peace Corp or other UN international relations activists or positions.
    Always be your unapologetically and authentic self
    Here's an example of how I use a headscarf in a non-Muslim way and the person Chooses to wear it: In my Sim-lit story in Gen 7 (current gen) in my plot line something happens to Jane's twin and she feels guilty about it (think horrible Netflix show with the word 13 in it) so she wears black hijab as a penance(?). I do sort of have Muslims in their society due to their great-great-grandparents (the grandparents aren't Muslims) backstory as seen in Gen 4 which combines Russian history (royal family disappearing), German history (H word), and the very near (?) recent history of Afghanistan. all together into one backstory). But the two main religious are Anneorines and the Enrichment religious (both modelled of off Disney characters-except for Anneorine's Queen of Heaven)
    6adMCGP.gif