Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why can't they tell us if toddlers are going to be in the game or not?

Comments

• Options
    NZsimm3rNZsimm3r Posts: 9,265 Member
    edited August 2016
    I finally have found the quote I was looking for... It was simgurugrant that stated before launch that all life stage would be in The Sims 4. Not that this matters now but I feel so bad about misquoting @SimGuruGraham

Link:
    http://simsvip.com/2014/01/16/thesims4-simified-interviews-simgurugrant/

Quote:
    Simified: What are the Life Stages in The Sims 4? Are there any new ones?

SimGuruGrant: The Sims 4 will have all of the same life stages as previous games, Baby, Toddler, Child, Teen, Young Adult, Adult, and Elder. There are no new life stages coming at this time.

Simified: Will Sims be able to have and own cars? Will cars in The Sims 4 have functions similar to The Sims 2 (opening doors, etc.) or will they be like The Sims 3?

Grant: Sims will definitely be able to own and have cars! As far as how they will function, I cannot comment on that yet. I do know that opening doors, like in The Sims 2, would require a lot from our animations team, so this may or may not happen.

*edited: I just wanted to add that later posts explained why things changed during production.
    I'm a girl who likes to play with boys, what can I say... o:)

“Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.”Will Wright.
  • Options
    FallenPrinceFallenPrince Posts: 928 Member
    edited August 2016
    I was always one of the people that defended the game and said that toddlers will come. Because I do enjoy it. But, since the culling patch in June ( sims loosing relationships on rotational play), I have stopped giving devs excuses. (I was mainly 🐸🐸🐸🐸, because the culling made the game unplayable for me and it hasn't been fixed according to patch notes).
    And the reason why they haven't said anything- sales tactic.
    I am honestly tired of asking them about toddlers and family play. So, I have simply given myself a time limit- I'll wait until EP3 (hopefully this year) and see what it is about. If it's "Get to party" or "Get on Social Media" (point- not family oriented) , then it will be obvious where the game is headed and it will be obvious that devs don't care. If that truly does happen, I'll probably switch to TS2 and occasionaly play TS4, but won't buy any of their content anymore. Enough is enough.
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    @NZsimm3r A lot of things would have changed during development. I mean originally the game was going to be online so if they can chsnge that the having to leave other stuff out is completly understandable.

I mean would players have rather had rushed toddlers that do nothing, tied to a playpen maybe? Or would they rather wait a few years for toddlers that might be worth the wait?

I really do wish that some players would stop using the 'but originally they told us all life stages would be included' tag line because nothing always goes to plan 100% of the time.
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    lejoninnalejoninna Posts: 4,287 Member
    i havent read this thread, but it's pretty obvious toddlers aren't coming, so I would say don't wait for a confirmation
  • Options
    @NZsimm3r A lot of things would have changed during development. I mean originally the game was going to be online so if they can chsnge that the having to leave other stuff out is completly understandable.

I mean would players have rather had rushed toddlers that do nothing, tied to a playpen maybe? Or would they rather wait a few years for toddlers that might be worth the wait?

I really do wish that some players would stop using the 'but originally they told us all life stages would be included' tag line because nothing always goes to plan 100% of the time.

You have misunderstood my reason for quoting that all again. I am fully aware that things do change in production and have tried to make that clear in my post.

I have always understood and accepted that things change in production in the gaming industry... it is not my intention to drag that up but rather to clear a misunderstanding because I have offended simgurugraham because I thought it was him that said that.

“Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.”Will Wright.
  • Options
    Stdlr9Stdlr9 Posts: 2,744 Member
    It was not SimGuruGraham who said TS4 would have toddlers; it was SimGuruGrant. http://simsvip.com/2014/01/16/thesims4-simified-interviews-simgurugrant/

This, of course, was retracted closer to release, sparking massive outrage that has not died down in the intervening years but has gotten louder.

Why no toddlers? SimGuruRyan and Rachel Franklin gave totally different reasons. Oh, and by the way, SGGrant also said in this interview that the game would definitely have cars. Still waiting on that too, aren't you?
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Stdlr9 wrote: »
    It was not SimGuruGraham who said TS4 would have toddlers; it was SimGuruGrant. http://simsvip.com/2014/01/16/thesims4-simified-interviews-simgurugrant/

This, of course, was retracted closer to release, sparking massive outrage that has not died down in the intervening years but has gotten louder.

Why no toddlers? SimGuruRyan and Rachel Franklin gave totally different reasons. Oh, and by the way, SGGrant also said in this interview that the game would definitely have cars. Still waiting on that too, aren't you?

Thank you for linking that...I have already corrected my reply in response to singurugraham. It was an honest mistake as I had thought it was him that said it.

I am not dragging it up to make a point about things change... that point is moot... I posted it as a correction to my misquoting and as a response to simgurugraham reply to me. That is all. The actual content of the quote made sense as a reply to a simmer much earlier in the thread.

*typos

• Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    NZsimm3r wrote: »

You have misunderstood my reason for quoting that all again. I am fully aware that things do change in production and have tried to make that clear in my post.

I have always understood and accepted that things change in production in the gaming industry... it is not my intention to drag that up but rather to clear a misunderstanding because I have offended simgurugraham because I thought it was him that said that.

My apologies but thanks for providing the link and helping to clear things up :smile:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    You're welcome, NZsimm3r. I wasn't posting it as a picky response to you, honest, as I certainly get people's names mixed up. Grant and Graham sound very similar.

I did want to make the point, though, that a SimGuru most certainly did say before release that toddlers would be included. Turned out to be wrong but it was said.

Here's another interesting article, from May of 2015: http://kotaku.com/11-months-later-the-sims-4-players-still-want-answers-1705320586 Now it's over a year after that article and nothing has changed, no answers have been forthcoming. Read the writing on the wall, people.
  • Options

My apologies but thanks for providing the link and helping to clear things up :smile:

That's ok. It is confusing but I was just trying to fix my initial mistake. :'(

• Options
    nasTdudenasTdude Posts: 95 Member
    edited August 2016
    I finally have found the quote I was looking for... It was simgurugrant that stated before launch that all life stage would be in The Sims 4. Not that this matters now but I feel so bad about misquoting @SimGuruGraham

Link:

Quote:

SimGuruGrant: The Sims 4 will have all of the same life stages as previous games, Baby, Toddler, Child, Teen, Young Adult, Adult, and Elder. There are no new life stages coming at this time.

Simified: Will Sims be able to have and own cars? Will cars in The Sims 4 have functions similar to The Sims 2 (opening doors, etc.) or will they be like The Sims 3?

Grant: Sims will definitely be able to own and have cars! As far as how they will function, I cannot comment on that yet. I do know that opening doors, like in The Sims 2, would require a lot from our animations team, so this may or may not happen.

*edited: I just wanted to add that later posts explained why things changed during production.

This THIS makes me laugh. What you could animate opening car doors in ts2 but somehow is ts4 you cannot animate them?? Seriously....... I've seen this quote before but that just makes me cringe.
    Time management issues. bah. No toddlers or cars........
    lets make a life/building simulation game but cut back on all the animations... might as well play with dolls that don't move

Edit: sorry he did say may or may not. Kinda like we May or may not have toddlers.
    Great communication skills there EA.
  • Options
    @Stdlr9 thank you. It's a little upsetting to have got it so wrong though. I mean it's technically slander and has upset me greatly if I'm honest. It was an honest mistake but I can totally understand why simgurugraham needed to correct me. I posted it not actually thinking about the consequences of misquoting someone in their professional field. I'm disappointed in myself.

• Options
    @Stdlr9 thank you. It's a little upsetting to have got it so wrong though. I mean it's technically slander and has upset me greatly if I'm honest. It was an honest mistake but I can totally understand why simgurugraham needed to correct me. I posted it not actually thinking about the consequences of misquoting someone in their professional field. I'm disappointed in myself.

Oh, please don't be so hard on yourself. I'm sending you Grandma hugs ('cause I'm really, really old!). {{{{{ }}}}}
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    nasTdude wrote: »

Link:

Quote:

This THIS makes me laugh. What you could animate opening car doors in ts2 but somehow is ts4 you cannot animate them?? Seriously....... I've seen this quote before but that just makes me cringe.
    Time management issues. bah. No toddlers or cars........
    lets make a life/building simulation game but cut back on all the animations... might as well play with dolls that don't move

Edit: sorry he did say may or may not. Kinda like we May or may not have toddlers.
    Great communication skills there EA.

It is quote from way before launch and I believe that at the time of being said simgurugrant genuinely believed it to be correct information. I am as disappointed as the next simmer that all this changed.

Typos.. gawd I can't even.

• Options
    SimGuruGrahamSimGuruGraham Posts: 1,189 SimGuru
    Hey no worries @NZsimm3r, like I mentioned - no doubt it was an honest mistake. Don't feel bad about it. It's just important to me that the right things get attributed to what I actually say so that there can continue to be a level of trust between myself and players.
  • Options
    Hey no worries @NZsimm3r, like I mentioned - no doubt it was an honest mistake. Don't feel bad about it. It's just important to me that the right things get attributed to what I actually say so that there can continue to be a level of trust between myself and players.

I totally get that. Thank you for replying to me.

• Options
    Briana2425Briana2425 Posts: 3,591 Member
  • Options
    SimGuruDrakeSimGuruDrake Posts: 1,648 SimGuru (retired)
    Briana2425 wrote: »
    I know OP I know just answer a yes or no it's so simple.

Sadly it isn't that black and white, there is a lot of gray in there (which we've explained at length.)
    Global Community Manager for Maxis / The Sims
  • Options
    ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    QDog wrote: »
    In my opinion, there are only two possible explanations to the hush hush policy as regards toddlers:

1. They know toddlers are not coming and they will not confirm this because they know this will cause an uproar of biblical proportions; OR

2. They are actually working on them but they have run into major issues (otherwise they would have been added ages ago, wouldn't they?). So they don't want to confirm them (like Graham did before the game was released) only to disappoint fans yet again if they can't be implemented after all.

If one listens to EA's statements about being patient, listening to fans etc. number 2 would be the most likely scenario. However, it wouldn't be far fetched to believe that we are actually on scenario 1 (i.e. Toddlers are not coming and they know it) and EA is just using marketing tactics to keep people interested in the game and to avoid a massive uproar...

Only time will tell.
    My guess would be:
    3. They are not working on toddlers. But they haven't began to work on the last GPs and EPs for TS4 yet and are following the development in the sales numbers for the expansions and are analyzing those sales numbers all the time. If they evaluate that sales numbers have become too low and that toddlers could be what it needs to improve them then they will start working on toddlers.
  • Options
    LaraNocturnalLaraNocturnal Posts: 74 Member

Sadly it isn't that black and white, there is a lot of gray in there (which we've explained at length.)

Not to be rude, but I don't really understand how you've "explained at length". I understand that you are likely not permitted to elaborate, though. But "explained at length"? I can really only remember a lot of "be patient", "we hear you", "we don't have answers yet" etc.

I get that there may be grey area, like if they are added in with free content they have to be released in the quarter they are announced. My optimistic side is guessing that's what's happening :smiley:

But yeah I don't really get how they grey has been "explained at length". It seems more that it's been dodged and evaded, although again I really don't blame you guys for that. It's very hard to understand why you guys have to be muzzled on the topic of toddlers. Other than the free content conjecture above, I can only imagine scenarios that are potential bad news, like them not being possible for one reason or another. It seems like there is potentially something very wrong here.
  • Options
    Briana2425Briana2425 Posts: 3,591 Member

Yeah I'm a straight to the point kind of a person lol and I'm a very patient person but sooner or later a patient person needs an straight forward answer or a little something about why we're waiting so long.
  • Options
    QuaayQuaay Posts: 557 Member
    Yea I'd appreciate knowing if they are working on them or still only talking about them. If it's an ETA of two years minimum if they are added I want to know. I wish they could have open communication like that and bounce ideas off of us during development. I'd love that.
  • Options
    SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    Terra wrote: »
    My opinion (which is nothing but speculation, an educated guess):

Toddlers are being worked on, and they will be a free update. EA cannot announce free content outside of its release quarter. We hate this but I think the reason makes sense, as explained in the long Q&A Gamescom thread: Say that today they announce "Guess what guys, toddlers WILL be in the game at some point, 100% guaranteed, and it will be a free patch to the base game, maybe two or three quarters from now!" A bunch of people then buy TS4 base game that quarter because there will be toddlers patched in at some point. However, those people are not just buying TS4 base game as is - they are buying "base game + expectations" about what will be added to it. That's where you run into the problems because people have bought a base game because of content that isn't actually in it yet, and so the sales of the basegame are connected to content that isn't actually in the game yet. (I think @luthienrising can explain it better than I can but she might be getting sick of explaining it, haha.)

Now, a lot of people are angry because they feel that they already bought "base game + expectations" when they got TS4 at launch with the promises of a strong foundation, dreams coming true, toddlers cuddling unicorns pooping rainbows yada yada yada. But since now we're talking about free updates to the base game (which TS4 does more often than a lot of other games), it's a different thing from the accounting POV so, as much as it is a plummy pile of plum sauce, it IS a different kettle of fish and IS bound by these restrictions.

I mean, if they're talking about toddlers every day at the studio, they're either a) working on them and planning to release them or b) working on them and still struggling to fit them into the game so don't actually know whether they'll be added.

@rshell193 to answer your question "I thought they said toddlers were going to be in it anyways, didn't they?" - there was an early statement that the game would include toddlers, and then they reneged on that between the first pre-orders and the base game launch.

ETA: The only way they could announce that toddlers were coming outside the quarter they're coming in is if they're going to be paid content.
    Terra wrote: »
    My opinion (which is nothing but speculation, an educated guess):

Toddlers are being worked on, and they will be a free update. EA cannot announce free content outside of its release quarter. We hate this but I think the reason makes sense, as explained in the long Q&A Gamescom thread: Say that today they announce "Guess what guys, toddlers WILL be in the game at some point, 100% guaranteed, and it will be a free patch to the base game, maybe two or three quarters from now!" A bunch of people then buy TS4 base game that quarter because there will be toddlers patched in at some point. However, those people are not just buying TS4 base game as is - they are buying "base game + expectations" about what will be added to it. That's where you run into the problems because people have bought a base game because of content that isn't actually in it yet, and so the sales of the basegame are connected to content that isn't actually in the game yet. (I think @luthienrising can explain it better than I can but she might be getting sick of explaining it, haha.)

Now, a lot of people are angry because they feel that they already bought "base game + expectations" when they got TS4 at launch with the promises of a strong foundation, dreams coming true, toddlers cuddling unicorns pooping rainbows yada yada yada. But since now we're talking about free updates to the base game (which TS4 does more often than a lot of other games), it's a different thing from the accounting POV so, as much as it is a plummy pile of plum sauce, it IS a different kettle of fish and IS bound by these restrictions.

I mean, if they're talking about toddlers every day at the studio, they're either a) working on them and planning to release them or b) working on them and still struggling to fit them into the game so don't actually know whether they'll be added.

@rshell193 to answer your question "I thought they said toddlers were going to be in it anyways, didn't they?" - there was an early statement that the game would include toddlers, and then they reneged on that between the first pre-orders and the base game launch.

ETA: The only way they could announce that toddlers were coming outside the quarter they're coming in is if they're going to be paid content.

This was an interesting post to me. When they can talk about it depends on whether it is free content and we are in the right quarter. Or that is what I take from it.
  • Options
    SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    To7m wrote: »
    @cameronw209 did you mean this post here from SimGurugraham?
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_us/discussion/comment/14732539/#Comment_14732539

@To7m @nasTdude yeah, adding any life stage to a game is a huge amount of work but after all that is part of being an adult and in paid work... you know... doing stuff at work that you're paid to do. It doesn't really factor in as a reason as to why content is missing. There are other factors at play here.

And I get that. Which is why I understand why the gurus personally cannot answer. If that's the case then they need to go up one and get somebody that *can* answer. Period. Stop giving us excuses and take responsibility for the situation and communicate why it is like it is. Toddlers can be made an exception as although it may 'technically' fall under future content as we don't have it now, it IS base content. We've had the base for 2 years. The very least they can do is talk about that. Toddlers are sims. Not never before seen content or even further content. They're base content.

That's how I feel. It doesn't make it fact, just for the record. I'm not having a go at you, just at the game lol.

--T

The regulatory chain that governs what can be said about software updates to products that can still be purchased goes through the Security Exchange Commission up to federal law. Enjoy taking that up the chain as far as needed, and the part about how they should change regulations designed to standardize reporting and (from my reading of the impact) disincentivize fraud, regulations that cover all software updates - including huge purchases by multinational banks, defense installations, etc. - so that you can know about toddlers in your video game earlier.

(Additional note: This covers the assumption that this would be free content. If it would be paid content, I'll just point to the response around here to the concept that "things change"; if I were Maxis, I wouldn't want to tell this crowd anything about this until all features are final.)

This was interesting as well. I sum it up with it's complicated.
  • Options
    ConclueConclue Posts: 2,307 Member
    Simanite wrote: »
    @Conclue Great points! :smiley:

I think that the only way to get past the toddler arguement, when they are finally added is to make them optional.

One player once suggested that players could choose life stages that they want in options so if you select toddlers, a baby would grow into a toddler before they age into a child.
    Nope nope nope nope nope. People who don't want them can simply age them up.

latest?cb=20150220233403

"Don't fit what's not broken" applies here. I agree too, I don't think they should be "optional" They haven't been optional for 10 years. It was a big mistake. The real big mistake was scrapping an MMO and making a Sims game out of it to keep on budget goals. They didn't cut their losses, but cut out of our losses... that's what infuriates me with EA, not the Sims team as a whole department of EA.