Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why can't they tell us if toddlers are going to be in the game or not?

Comments

• NZsimm3rNZsimm3r Posts: 9,265 Member
    rshell193 wrote: »
    NZsimm3r wrote: »
    Simple, they'll lose people buying this game. If people knew from the beginning toddlers were never going to return most wouldn't buy it and that means money loss. This way, people keep buying in the hopes they'll return. Sad plan honestly.

Well you would think that they whouldve just put them in in the first place. Cause either way they probably lost a lot of sales with not having toddlers. My friend bought the Sims 4 and saw there we're no toddlers and hasn't played it since. I thought they said toddlers were going to be in it anyways, didn't they?

(Dont take this as a sarcastic reply please)

It was confirmed way before launch in an interview with SimGuruGraham I think, but during production things changed. Although later Rachel (last name escapes me... probably due to dancing-trauma) said in another interview that the decision to leave toddlers out was the best decision to date. (not exact quote).

It's all a bit vague as information is, well... not very transparent shall we say.

Wow. Okay I know like you said it's not the exact quote but how could that be the best decision? Did they ever think that they'd probably of sold more copies if they did have the toddlers in it? I feel like there's a huge like hole in the game now. But now I can't get over how taking out a major thing in the game can be the best decision for it....

I think from memory (as I can't find the actual post, as usual... side issue, but this forum is seriously huge)... that is was because they wouldn't have been an addition that represented what most simmers wanted and that the decision was made to focus on other content that better represented a larger portion of the people who play the sims.

I'm sure someone will know where to find the actual post...
    I'm a girl who likes to play with boys, what can I say... o:)

“Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.”Will Wright.
  • rshell193rshell193 Posts: 284 Member
    @Terra now that just sounds bad to me. Imagine the people that put down $60 for the game but never heard about the toddlers being taken out and then they get the game and poor they're not there. I know I would have been mad. Its the Sims, a life simulator. Life includes toddlers unless in this iteration toddlers never existed and stuff you know? :neutral::neutral:
  • TerraTerra Posts: 1,353 Member
    @Terra now that just sounds bad to me. Imagine the people that put down $60 for the game but never heard about the toddlers being taken out and then they get the game and poor they're not there. I know I would have been mad. Its the Sims, a life simulator. Life includes toddlers unless in this iteration toddlers never existed and stuff you know? :neutral::neutral:

Oh I know, I wasn't trying to defend their decision not to include toddlers in the base game. Like many people, I think they should have delayed the release of the game until toddlers were added. However, I'm just trying to explain why I don't think we'll hear anything about toddlers until very close to their release into the game via a free patch.
  • simgamesimgame Posts: 538 Member
    What do you mean ts5 is coming out?
    edited August 2016
    @rshell193 that was actually what happened to me. I had stopped reading all the hype etc as I wanted to be really surprised when I got to first played TS4 on launch day. The first moment I realized that toddlers weren't included was after I had my sims try for baby etc. It didn't even register when I was in CAS! I guess I was too excited to get into the game. But when I aged up the nooboo I thought I had done something wrong! :/ That's when I started posting on the forum, to try to find out what was going on. lol
    *typos

“Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.”Will Wright.
  • To7mTo7m Posts: 5,467 Member
    @cameronw209 did you mean this post here from SimGurugraham?
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_us/discussion/comment/14732539/#Comment_14732539

@To7m @nasTdude yeah, adding any life stage to a game is a huge amount of work but after all that is part of being an adult and in paid work... you know... doing stuff at work that you're paid to do. It doesn't really factor in as a reason as to why content is missing. There are other factors at play here.

And I get that. Which is why I understand why the gurus personally cannot answer. If that's the case then they need to go up one and get somebody that *can* answer. Period. Stop giving us excuses and take responsibility for the situation and communicate why it is like it is. Toddlers can be made an exception as although it may 'technically' fall under future content as we don't have it now, it IS base content. We've had the base for 2 years. The very least they can do is talk about that. Toddlers are sims. Not never before seen content or even further content. They're base content.

That's how I feel. It doesn't make it fact, just for the record. I'm not having a go at you, just at the game lol.

--T
    Simple, they'll lose people buying this game. If people knew from the beginning toddlers were never going to return most wouldn't buy it and that means money loss. This way, people keep buying in the hopes they'll return. Sad plan honestly.

Well you would think that they whouldve just put them in in the first place. Cause either way they probably lost a lot of sales with not having toddlers. My friend bought the Sims 4 and saw there we're no toddlers and hasn't played it since. I thought they said toddlers were going to be in it anyways, didn't they?

It was confirmed way before launch in an interview with SimGuruGraham I think, but during production things changed. Although later Rachel (last name escapes me... probably due to dancing-trauma) said in another interview that the decision to leave toddlers out was the best decision to date. (not exact quote).

It's all a bit vague as information is, well... not very transparent shall we say.

Wow. Okay I know like you said it's not the exact quote but how could that be the best decision? Did they ever think that they'd probably of sold more copies if they did have the toddlers in it? I feel like there's a huge like hole in the game now. But now I can't get over how taking out a major thing in the game can be the best decision for it....

I think from memory (as I can't find the actual post, as usual... side issue, but this forum is seriously huge)... that is was because they wouldn't have been an addition that represented what most simmers wanted and that the decision was made to focus on other content that better represented a larger portion of the people who play the sims.

I'm sure someone will know where to find the actual post...

Plum. I don't see what that other content the people wanted is though. I mean building is good but they took out the landscaping things...(I was gonna say family play but that mostly includes toddlers so....)

And so sorry if my grammar is bad on this comment XD XD
    simgame wrote: »
    What do you mean ts5 is coming out?

No.........
    To7m wrote: »

@To7m @nasTdude yeah, adding any life stage to a game is a huge amount of work but after all that is part of being an adult and in paid work... you know... doing stuff at work that you're paid to do. It doesn't really factor in as a reason as to why content is missing. There are other factors at play here.

And I get that. Which is why I understand why the gurus personally cannot answer. If that's the case then they need to go up one and get somebody that *can* answer. Period. Stop giving us excuses and take responsibility for the situation and communicate why it is like it is. Toddlers can be made an exception as although it may 'technically' fall under future content as we don't have it now, it IS base content. We've had the base for 2 years. The very least they can do is talk about that. Toddlers are sims. Not never before seen content or even further content. They're base content.

That's how I feel. It doesn't make it fact, just for the record. I'm not having a go at you, just at the game lol.

--T

Yep, totally agree with you. That was kinda what I was trying to say, that saying it is hard work is no sort of reason or excuse etc. :)

Terra wrote: »

Oh I know, I wasn't trying to defend their decision not to include toddlers in the base game. Like many people, I think they should have delayed the release of the game until toddlers were added. However, I'm just trying to explain why I don't think we'll hear anything about toddlers until very close to their release into the game via a free patch.

Ooh I understand completely :smile:
  • To7mTo7m Posts: 5,467 Member

--T

Yep, totally agree with you. That was kinda what I was trying to say, that saying it is hard work is no sort of reason or excuse etc. :)

YES!! Exactly! Lol

--T
  • EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    IMO, the combination of "be patient" and not talking about it means they are coming (eventually) and that they'll be patched in for free. If they were paid content, they they could probably talk about them. As patched content, they have to wait until the quarter of release before they can.

There was a big gap in paid content with the gender update (patched) so maybe this "nothing but a SP" quarter is due to another large patch being worked on.

It's also the 2nd anniversary of The Sims 4 soon (literally 11 days away), so they are potentially working on a big thing for that.
    @rshell193 that was actually what happened to me. I had stopped reading all the hype etc as I wanted to be really surprised when I got to first played TS4 on launch day. The first moment I realized that toddlers weren't included was after I had my sims try for baby etc. It didn't even register when I was in CAS! I guess I was too excited to get into the game. But when I aged up the nooboo I thought I had done something wrong! :/ That's when I started posting on the forum, to try to find out what was going on. lol
    *typos

I'm sorry that happened :o when I got the game I knew the toddlers weren't in it but I was still disappointed to age up the babies and it skips entirely to a child.
    *typos

I'm sorry that happened :o when I got the game I knew the toddlers weren't in it but I was still disappointed to age up the babies and it skips entirely to a child.

Well, I learnt a valuable lesson that day.... lol (And the moral of the story is: Don't buy without doing your research!!)

EmmaVane wrote: »
    IMO, the combination of "be patient" and not talking about it means they are coming (eventually) and that they'll be patched in for free. If they were paid content, they they could probably talk about them. As patched content, they have to wait until the quarter of release before they can.

There was a big gap in paid content with the gender update (patched) so maybe this "nothing but a SP" quarter is due to another large patch being worked on.

It's also the 2nd anniversary of The Sims 4 soon (literally 11 days away), so they are potentially working on a big thing for that.

I keep seeing things about that event thing....maybe that's what they're doing for the anniversary. But then again, I don't see anything awesome coming out of that for a two year anniversary.. :(
    *typos

Well, I learnt a valuable lesson that day.... lol (And the moral of the story is: Don't buy without doing your research!!)

Yessss I totally agree with that.... Ahem *cough* No Man's Sky *cough* I wish I did a ton of research on that before buying it. I cringe at myself for doing so
  • CinderellimouseCinderellimouse Posts: 19,380 Member
    That's why it is such a shame they didn't take/get the time needed to get toddlers right before launch. No matter how this pans out the 'toddler issue' is going to be remembered for a very long time and not in a good way.

Yeah, I think it will go down in simming history as The Big Mistake. :D

But still, if they're listening to us and we really do get toddlers and they do them well, I'll find it in my heart to forgive them. Especially if we get them in a free patch to the base game! I'll be a bit miffed if I have to pay for them.
    @rshell193 There is a lot of speculation at the moment. It's difficult to distinguish between speculation, personal opinion and facts.

The last official word we had on Todders was:
    Toddlers: We know that this is a big issue within the community and we definitely are not blind to your pleas for us to tell you something. I wish the answer wasn't one I keep repeating but it's the only one I have for you. With that in mind I want you to know that we absolutely hear you, this is something that is a topic of conversation every day that I'm at work. Because the team hears you, they understand this is a big part of how you immerse yourself in the game and it's a most loved part of the game for many of you. I stickied that toddler thread as acknowledgement that we absolutely hear you, I asked Lyndsay to go into that thread so that she could express that she hears you, and the team appreciates reading every idea/picture that is provided in that thread. We just simply don't want to constantly give you the same answer over and over because it does feel self defeating for us and we know it is frustrating for you. I absolutely HATE asking you this but please be patient when we have something to say in either direction we will tell you.

So...

* She knows we want news.
    * She understands that we are frustrated.
    * They are talking about toddlers in the studio every day.
    * They are not ready/able to discuss them yet.
    * They asked us to try and be patient.

Everything else is just speculation.

They also have said that there are laws and regulations regarding what they can and can't announce or talk about. I'm not 100% on the details of this but basically there are different rules for paid and free content, and regulations about when they announce something and how long they have to deliver that content.

I can also say that adding toddlers would be a HUGE task. Every single object that you'd expect a toddler to interact with would need new coding and animations. If toddlers can be picked up, they will need to look at multi-tasking. Not only will it be very time-consuming to make them, they could run into a multitude or issues that need addressing before they are ready to be released. Plus our own high expectations mean the pressure is on to get them absolutely right.

We don't know for sure what is going on at the studio. I'm as frustrated and impatient as anyone else here about toddlers. But if they can't tell us, they can't tell us. Throwing ourselves on the floor and having a tantrum isn't going to get us toddlers any faster, I'm afraid.

You know what? So what if it's a huge task! Are they not in the frikken game making business? Huge tasks are supposed to motivate them to better themselves. Not say they 'Can't do it'.

And if it is such a "huge task" (don't buy that crock for a second, not my fault they decided to remove them in the first place, only have themselves to blame if so) then tell us that. It's pretty simple. It's called communication for a reason and I'm tried off hearing only excuses.

If you can't make a good game don't make one. End of.

--T

ETA: I also want to address what you say about laws and regulations. I don't fully understand this (don't care to either) but it's not like the police are going to arrest anyone. As far as I know these 'rules' are made by EA. I know other game companies screaming their games from the rooftops without fear of 'laws'... Why is it JUST TS4 that have these rules? I want to know the deal with toddlers. Are they coming or not or are they being worked on? Talking about them in the office means NOTHING if there is no action. What are they physically doing about it. I want to know. Besides talking.

I understand you are frustrated and upset about the situation, but you quoted me and have a very aggressive tone. I'm happy to talk with you if you want a calm discussion.
    Drake gave a more in-depth answer a little while back. It has to do with the future content thing where it's not announced until it's100% final. This means if there were to be any changes made during production of toddlers, they wouldn't have to deal with the issue of retracted statements (like we knew very well upon TS4's release).

I don't think the silence has to do with sales, seeing as the game has already supposedly sold upwards of 5 million so that argument doesn't hold up in my opinion.

In comparison, SimCity's offline mode wasn't announced until it was in its beta testing stage. Until then, Maxis never alluded that they were developing it, just "exploring" it.

Thanks for the info. I can understand that they don't want to announce something until they can 100% commit. I get the impression that toddlers are in development, but they'll obviously take a ton of work and things could go wrong, so they want to be sure that they have everything running smoothly before they announce them. I bet they are frustrated as well. I know if I were developing a feature the community was desperate for I'd want to shout it from the rooftops. But I guess 'we know this is important' and 'we're talking about it' is the most they can say. Honestly, if they're not working on toddlers it'd be an insane business decision. But that's all just my opinion and how I interpret the info.
    nasTdude wrote: »

Whilst I agree it'd be a huge task. They have done it in the past with sims 3 and sims 2.
    So they would have known how or at least had an idea how to do it.

if we look at it like this it all is an undertaking for them but they got it done in previous games.
    I mean we don't even have legit real teenagers in ts4.
    they are just copy and paste young adults - elders.
    We had all life states in ts2-ts3 and there really should be no excuses.
    It's ridiculous how we don't have all life states and yes I am throwing the other T (teenager) in as well.
    I believe time management was.. no is an issue with this game.

back on topic just a solid "honest" answer to this issue would be good.

But if it's against the law, they can't give an honest answer. They can't break a law because we're a bit shouty.

I think multitasking is probably the key issue. I remember someone saying that's why babies are tied to the crib, because the sim had trouble carrying the baby and doing another task. You've seen how much they play around with drinks, right? Nobody wants to see a baby put in a pocket or dumped unceremoniously on the floor.

So, my guess, is that because we expect to be able to pick up toddlers and carry them around and hug them and stuff, they'll be working out all the problems that'll produce with multitasking.

Yeah, my daughter (who is technically too young to play) doesn't like it because it doesn't have toddlers, cats, or fairies. That'll all she wants to do, make a fairy family in Cas with a cute toddler and a cat. They're definitely losing sales over it. Even people who bought the base, won't buy extra packs until we get toddlers. Which is why I'm convinced they'll add them. It was a terrible business mistake, and it would be crazy not to try and resolve that.

I'm going to go and read that link now, thanks for posting it @NZsimm3r. :)
    @Cinderellimouse do you have a link to the post where Rachel F. explained why leaving out toddlers was a good decision? I still can't find it.

*spotted this and wanted to reply before I left*
    EmmaVane wrote: »

This is pretty much my line of thinking. I just don't want to get my hopes up, or anyone else's hopes up, in case I'm wrong.

It's really difficult, but I'm trying to be patient. I really do believe they'll come eventually. I do enjoy the game but it hurts when I play a family where there should be a toddler, because I'm missing an actual character in my game. But when I'm playing the other households I don't notice as much. I'm just trying to focus on other things and try and distract myself for now.
    @Cinderellimouse do you have a link to the post where Rachel F. explained why leaving out toddlers was a good decision? I still can't find it.

I remember reading it but I don't remember where. It was probably at SimsVip, I remember it was in an interview, maybe for a gaming magazine? If I find it I'll link.

From what I remember it was along the lines of they made that decision because they felt it was right at the time (they must have been drinking the crazy water!!!). I don't think she said anything about not adding them in the future.

I remember reading it but I don't remember where. It was probably at SimsVip, I remember it was in an interview, maybe for a gaming magazine? If I find it I'll link.

From what I remember it was along the lines of they made that decision because they felt it was right at the time (they must have been drinking the crazy water!!!). I don't think she said anything about not adding them in the future.

Yes, she made it very clear she was only talking about the decision to date. (Which was some time ago now) Hmm.. I'll go look over at simsvip, haven't been there for a very long time! I know it must be somewhere!!

@rshell193 found it! lol first search over at simsvip (thanks @Cinderellimouse )

http://simsvip.com/2015/09/14/rachel-franklin-on-the-future-of-the-sims-4/

Quote:
    (Q) So you’re satisfied that not having toddlers was the right choice?
    Rachel Franklin: That’s the decision that we made based on all of the information that we had at the time. So absolutely, I feel like it’s the best decision for the game to date. I’m not talking about future stuff. But I do think it’s important to know, that players play in very different ways. We see all kinds of different play styles and family players are very passionate, so are players that play other ways.
    And I want to make sure that all of those voices are considered when people are thinking about whether or not we’ve included the right things. Because we do, we take it very seriously about whether or not we’re approaching all of those different play styles. We take it just as seriously as the players do that are asking for the things that they want.

Ok, just reposting that here:
    Cinebar wrote: »
    I thought they said that tax law agreement called something with an N but not NSA lol was the reason they can't talk about anything they are working on...if they can now, what changed? or is this just about an upcoming game pack of some sort?

Not sure where you read about this, but here's a super quick explanation... I'm simplifying or glossing over a lot of finer points here, but this is the crux of what we deal with. The issue relates to when we can count revenue on sales of a product.

For upcoming content that we plan to sell, we can announce it whenever we want and it doesn't impact our financials because you haven't had the opportunity to purchase it yet.

For upcoming content that's planned to be a free addition to a product that you've already purchased - for example, when pools were added to the game - then once we've announced that content, it needs to be made available to a consumer within the same financial quarter that we announced that content in. If that content does not launch within that quarter, then we can't recognize any of the revenue we've made on sales of the game until we deliver on the expectation we established.

Things become slightly more complex for us, because we frequently launch new free content alongside new paid content.

Honestly, it confuses me. But I think it's something to do with once they announce something it's like a contract that they have to complete? So if it's payed content they can announce it, because the consumer hasn't bought it yet and therefore the contract hasn't been initiated? But then if it's free content, that becomes part of the base game which is already available, and so once they announce it they become contractually obliged to deliver the promised content? That's how I understand it anyway.

Phew! I'm so glad I'm not doing a law degree! My head would explode!!!

I like Graham though, he always seems to be willing to give us as much open and honest information as he can. I find him very approachable.
    That’s the decision that we made based on all of the information that we had at the time.

Ok... hands up! Who was telling Rachel that toddlers are boring and nobody plays with them? Confession time! :D
  • EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    edited August 2016

Yes, she made it very clear she was only talking about the decision to date. (Which was some time ago now) Hmm.. I'll go look over at simsvip, haven't been there for a very long time! I know it must be somewhere!!

I believe she said "The best decision for the game at the time" based on the info they had available. I figure it was a toss up between making toddlers and making a lot of other less resource intense features, that may or may not upset more people overall than losing a 4 day lifestage, so they went with the more content option. I think it's the same reason kids get less content. They are only in that lifestage a short while, whereas teen+ covers the majority of a sim's lifespan.