Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why can't they tell us if toddlers are going to be in the game or not?

Comments

• Options
    ArlettaArletta Posts: 8,444 Member
    NZsimm3r wrote: »
    That’s the decision that we made based on all of the information that we had at the time.

Ok... hands up! Who was telling Rachel that toddlers are boring and nobody plays with them? Confession time! :D

I hate to say it because I'll start people ranting, but that kind of thing they get from our game data.

• Options
    To7mTo7m Posts: 5,467 Member
    edited August 2016
    @Cinderellimouse, *sigh* if you think that was aggressive then I'll end it here. I'm not here to beat the bushes I'm here to talk about the game and any issues I feel I have with it. I'm going to be as direct as I possibly can. If you wish to continue the discussion then feel free to read on and please know, my fraustration is not directed at *you* it's directed at the situation at hand and it's a passionate one for me.

So as I said, so what if it's a huge deal? Tell us it's a huge deal and explain what they're doing to address it. If they're working on them, fine, I'll wait. I don't care about quarters I just want the toddlers and I want to know if they're coming. I'm willing to wait so I give them permission on my behalf to take however long they want (I will be the one buying this game, after all, why does it matter when or what they tell us?). Just because they tell me on Monday doesn't mean I want them by the end of the month. TAKE THE TIME to do them well, by all means, but at least COMMUNICATE with us on the process.

It's really not hard. And I honestly am sick to death of people defending them. It's fine if *you* want to be fine with their excuses but I don't have to be and I WISH people would stop saying "be patient". I've been 2 years patient. I want to know the frikken score. Not release dates.

--T

ETA: typo and added a bit
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    Because if they said no imagine the sales loss.Who cares if the employess are muzzled,bottom line is you say "No" and the "Numbas" plummet.You know how many people are being strung along like patient lil puppets who accept empty space as an answer.If you asked your girlfriend/boyfriend if they are cheating and they say nothing are you cool with that??? If you tell your best friend "I have a secret nobody knows but promise me you will not repeat it" and they look at you blankly for 5 minutes and then take a bite of a cookie are you ready to spill the beans to them.

I mean really people think about what I said.

Good points!

The rule is, they cannot talk about future content but if they did say 'no' to toddlers now, just think of the uproar!

The way I see it is this, they want to add toddlers, they want to do a lot of things with the game and they want it to work just like plays want to have toddlers, to have these cool things and want the game to work.

But there is also the reality of the situation and do we really need to explain that the reason why certain content was cut because of a lack of time to make said stuff.

Given the choice they will add toddlers but to do that you need either one of two things. You either need time to make it, or you need a magic wand.

I think that having the time to make these things is the more realistic answer...
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    PixelsimmerPixelsimmer Posts: 2,351 Member
    edited August 2016
    In my opinion, there are only two possible explanations to the hush hush policy as regards toddlers:

1. They know toddlers are not coming and they will not confirm this because they know this will cause an uproar of biblical proportions; OR

2. They are actually working on them but they have run into major issues (otherwise they would have been added ages ago, wouldn't they?). So they don't want to confirm them (like Grant did before the game was released) only to disappoint fans yet again if they can't be implemented after all.

If one listens to EA's statements about being patient, listening to fans etc. number 2 would be the most likely scenario. However, it wouldn't be far fetched to believe that we are actually on scenario 1 (i.e. Toddlers are not coming and they know it) and EA is just using marketing tactics to keep people interested in the game and to avoid a massive uproar...

Only time will tell.

ETA: it was SimGuruGrant and not SimGuruGraham who spoke about toddlers before the game was released. I edited the original post so as not to spread misinformation.
    Post edited by Pixelsimmer on
  • Options
    Colton147147Colton147147 Posts: 10,454 Member
    edited August 2016
    To7m wrote: »
    @Cinderellimouse, *sigh* if you think that was aggressive then I'll end it here. I'm not here to beat the bushes I'm here to talk about the game and any issues I feel I have with it. I'm going to be as direct as I possibly can. If you wish to continue the discussion then feel free to read on and please know, my fraustration is not directed at *you* it's directed at the situation at hand and it's a passionate one for me.

So as I said, so what if it's a huge deal? Tell us it's a huge deal and explain what they're doing to address it. If they're working on them, fine, I'll wait. I don't care about quarters I just want the toddlers and I want to know if they're coming. I'm willing to wait so I give them permission on my behalf to take however long they want (I will be the one buying this game, after all, why does it matter when or what they tell us?). Just because they tell me on Monday doesn't mean I want them by the end of the month. TAKE THE TIME to do them well, by all means, but at least COMMUNICATE with us on the process.

It's really not hard. And I honestly am sick to death of people defending them. It's fine if *you* want to be fine with their excuses but I don't have to be and I WISH people would stop saying "be patient". I've been 2 years patient. I want to know the frikken score. Not release dates.

--T

I am tired of seeing some people bash the SimGurus, but you do not hear me complaining (no bashing has been posted in this thread, so don't worry).

Everyone is allowed to post what they want on this forum (as long as it is respectful and follows the rules), as this is a public forum owned by Maxis and not you (or anyone else). :)
    Your Justine Keaton Enthusiast and the Voice of the Sims Community.
  • Options
    NZsimm3rNZsimm3r Posts: 9,265 Member
    Do you have an opinion about the OPs question @Colton147147 ?
    I'm a girl who likes to play with boys, what can I say... o:)

“Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.”Will Wright.
  • Options
    Do you have an opinion about the OPs question?

Toddlers will come when the time is right. o:)
  • Options
    NZsimm3rNZsimm3r Posts: 9,265 Member
    Do you have an opinion about the OPs question?

Toddlers will come when the time is right. o:)

Very zen. :)
    I'm a girl who likes to play with boys, what can I say... o:)

“Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.”Will Wright.
  • Options
    ArlettaArletta Posts: 8,444 Member

--T

I am tired of seeing some people bash the SimGurus, but you do not hear me complaining. ;)

Everyone is allowed to post what they want on this forum (as long as it is respectful and follows the rules), as this is a public forum owned by Maxis and not you.

Colton, as a general rule, about the bashing of the Guru's I normally agree with you, but where in any of that was an attack on the guru's please?
  • Options
    Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,139 Member
    The patches include free content that is basically content that went missing from the base game before it's release. And these patches are free because we paid quite a bit for a relatively bare-bones base game when compared to TS2 and TS3. It seems logical to assume since toddlers were in the base game at one point during development then pulled, they would be included in a patch. I have been assuming this would not hold true given the complexity of introducing toddlers into the game at this point. But if Maxis doesn't do it soon, like before the end of the year, I am very unsure of how long I will wait for them. I have no intention of purchasing anything new for the game until I see a change in how EA is treating the fans. I might not update my game for a while, either. If the game is not going in a direction I want to go, why bother?

This just isn't very much fun. There is nothing to get excited about at all. Just another leak coming out of Brazil just as Gamescon ended. I had predicted a leak would come out a week or so before Gamescon began but I was wrong. But here we have another leak about upcoming content no one here in the States can comment on. The sad part of that is the leak says nothing about toddlers. Frankly. this has become less about toddlers and more about EA's lack of caring about what the fans desire most. Now we hear the next EP is going to be centered around big city life. I don't recall an EP of this nature being asked for as much as toddlers, seasons or pets have been asked for. Why ask for what fans want if no one at EA is paying attention to a word we say?
  • Options
    Colton does have a point. This is EA's forum and it would be fair to respect them on their own forum.

After all, this is where the come and tell us news about 'future content' when if they really wanted they could just close the forums down completely and force us over to Facebook or somewhere.

We are lucky to have an exclusive place to interact with like minded Simmers :smile:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Arletta wrote: »

--T

I am tired of seeing some people bash the SimGurus, but you do not hear me complaining. ;)

Everyone is allowed to post what they want on this forum (as long as it is respectful and follows the rules), as this is a public forum owned by Maxis and not you.

Colton, as a general rule, about the bashing of the Guru's I normally agree with you, but where in any of that was an attack on the guru's please?

No bashing has been posted in this thread; just making a statement. :)

EDIT: Edited previous post to make it a bit clear. :)
  • Options
    edited August 2016

--T

I am tired of seeing some people bash the SimGurus, but you do not hear me complaining (no bashing has been posted in this thread, so don't worry).

Everyone is allowed to post what they want on this forum (as long as it is respectful and follows the rules), as this is a public forum owned by Maxis and not you (or anyone else). :)

Your own post contridicts itself. Please do not quote me unless you have something actually beneficial to discuss. Thanks.

--T

ETA: argh! Typos!
  • Options
    HIFreeBirdIHHIFreeBirdIH Posts: 1,410 Member
    Colton does have a point. This is EA's forum and it would be fair to respect them on their own forum.

After all, this is where the come and tell us news about 'future content' when if they really wanted they could just close the forums down completely and force us over to Facebook or somewhere.

We are lucky to have an exclusive place to interact with like minded Simmers :smile:

Ugh. I could not handle Facebook. Literally the only thing I would do on there is play Cityville.
    Just some random Simmer you probably don't even follow on the gallery! Gallery name's the same as my username! Did I just rhyme there?
    xyIcMqt.png
  • Options
    blewis823blewis823 Posts: 9,046 Member
    Hmm...*wonders to myself*

How would people feel that have faith the sims team is working on toddlers, the end of the series and not a toddler in sight? Make excuses on top of the sims team excuses? *shrugs*
    Nothing to see. I don't even care about the forums.
  • Options

Ugh. I could not handle Facebook. Literally the only thing I would do on there is play Cityville.

I actually don't use it much now except to chat to people and also upload all of my Sims pictures as I got tired of having to click through dozens of pages on thesims3.com! :D
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    CinderellimouseCinderellimouse Posts: 19,380 Member
    EmmaVane wrote: »
    I believe she said "The best decision for the game at the time" based on the info they had available. I figure it was a toss up between making toddlers and making a lot of other less resource intense features, that may or may not upset more people overall than losing a 4 day lifestage, so they went with the more content option. I think it's the same reason kids get less content. They are only in that lifestage a short while, whereas teen+ covers the majority of a sim's lifespan.

But some of us play with aging off! *cries* My toddlers live as toddlers forever! :D

(Or at least for a very long time before I manually age them up)

I'm sure they had their reasons, and I'll bet it wasn't a decision they made lightly. It's not the decision I think I would have made. Even if it meant delaying the game another year because there was still content people wanted for TS3, they could have made a bit of money by adding something like a Freetime expansion and a waterpark set. But they made their decision and that's that.

This is complete speculation on my part, but I do blame Olympus. I remember how I felt physically sick when I saw the early renders and gameplay, and how far away it was from everything I love about the game. I suspect it really was a 'ME' sim game with only the adult stage, and only one controllable character. I don't want to go over old ground, or start rumours when I have no evidence. It's just my random thoughts on that.

I do feel like the game and development is getting stronger and stronger. I feel that after a very shaky start, the game is finding it's feet. I know people don't believe me, but I really do love TS4, it's already my favourite series! There's a lot of stuff I'm frustrated about but I'm feeling pretty confident about the future of the game. I just wish they could be more open with us (they probably wish that too).
    That’s the decision that we made based on all of the information that we had at the time.

Ok... hands up! Who was telling Rachel that toddlers are boring and nobody plays with them? Confession time! :D

I hate to say it because I'll start people ranting, but that kind of thing they get from our game data.

Eww! Telemetry! I turn mine off!

The problem with that is that it doesn't tell us why something is happening. A lot of people did

Urgh, telemetry is not my friend! I turn it off.

The problem with telemetry is it doesn't tell the devs why something is happpening. There were people who didn't like playing with toddlers in TS3 because they felt they were not as good as TS2 toddlers. Also, I only have a few toddlers in my game, but a large number of household, so my telemetry would imply I'm less interested in toddlers because I don't play with them as much. The telemetry doesn't tell the devs how much they mean to me when I do play with them. How important those moments are! Plus, we saw from TS4 that there's a rush of simmers who buy the base game and just play with young adults who woohoo with everyone then they get bored and play something else. They're not usually the people who will want to buy pack after pack after pack. So that mass of data overwhelms the rest, but might not be the most important feedback for future content. Clearly the data they had was deceptive.

I'm always up for a good rant about telemetry!

@To7m It's ok, I understand. It's an emotional subject and I've definitely raised my voice a few times over it too. It just felt like it was directed at me. Being direct and honest about how we feel is good though.

I'm not particularly defending them. I think I've been pretty critical actually (I called them crazy!). And I wish they could tell us what is happening too. I'm the same, just knowing that they are coming would put my mind at ease and I could get on with whatever else is going on in my game. The not knowing is the worst thing. I'm just trying to stay calm (as best as I can) and think about what they have told us, and to think about why things are the way they are. I'm optimistic. But I get that you're fed up of waiting now. We've been waiting a long time.
    The rule is, they cannot talk about future content but if they did say 'no' to toddlers now, just think of the uproar!

Urgh! Could you imagine? That would be horrendous!!!
    QDog wrote: »
    In my opinion, there are only two possible explanations to the hush hush policy as regards toddlers:

1. They know toddlers are not coming and they will not confirm this because they know this will cause an uproar of biblical proportions; OR

2. They are actually working on them but they have run into major issues (otherwise they would have been added ages ago, wouldn't they?). So they don't want to confirm them (like Graham did before the game was released) only to disappoint fans yet again if they can't be implemented after all.

If one listens to EA's statements about being patient, listening to fans etc. number 2 would be the most likely scenario. However, it wouldn't be far fetched to believe that we are actually on scenario 1 (i.e. Toddlers are not coming and they know it) and EA is just using marketing tactics to keep people interested in the game and to avoid a massive uproar...

Only time will tell.

It HAS to be option 2! It seems more likely to me, but I think option 1 would basically destroy the reputation of the brand. I really can't imagine they would take a risk like that. Better to just do them, even if they weren't planning to!
    Paigeisin5 wrote: »
    But if Maxis doesn't do it soon, like before the end of the year, I am very unsure of how long I will wait for them.

Yeah, this is the difficult question for me as well. How long am I prepared to wait? It's tricky because I do enjoy the game when I'm playing with a household where toddlers aren't an issue. If I chose to walk away, I'd be walking away from a game I really enjoy and brings me a lot of fulfilment. But then when I switch to a household where there should be a toddler (or two) in that family, AND the parents are wishing to have a baby, it gets really quite painful to play. That sounds a bit melodramatic, but it's true. It's difficult.

Where are those leaks when we need them huh?! :D

Now I need to stop procrastinating and tidy up so I can actually get to play my game later!

*sympathy hugs all round*

*tries to look all composed as I walk out of the forum but then as soon as I'm out of sight I hurl myself to the floor and have a very undignified tantrum*
  • Options
    CrackFoxCrackFox Posts: 1,507 Member
    Saying no will hurt their reputation and their sales. The game has sold respectable so far but remember that a lot of people still have faith that they are coming, threads like these are usually divided.

They could say no but dangling the carrot is much better for them.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    @Cinderellimouse, no I hear that. I was at that point too, but I think now I'm just at pure frustration and it must be showing. I hope I didn't come across too harshly to you, as I said, my frustration is not aimed at anybody on this forum or anywhere else. It's aimed at Maxis/EA

--T

ETA: oops, forgot to *sympathy hug* I think I need one. We all do.
  • Options
    littlearchitectlittlearchitect Posts: 277 Member
    edited August 2016
    Yep, sales can be one huge factor for them.
    I have two thoughts.

One : Maybe they intend to leave this feature out of this series. But they know fans will be disappointed and their sales will go downhill if they tell us the truth. So they just keep it dangling until the end of the series. Solution: We can only protest by making threads and stop buying upcoming packs so they might take it seriously. But some hardcore fans will still purchase and some neutral fans will still do so in hopes of getting toddlers in the future.

Two : Maybe they are making it or planning it. But because they are going to add toddlers half-way, the coding and things might be difficult and time consuming. Also since they have their policies of not discussing about future content, they just can't tell us even if they want to. Solution : Patience

But who knows which one of my thoughts is correct so....sigh :s
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon__gif___fan_art__by_hazzaplumbob-dayfe38.gif
  • Options
    @littlearchitect Well Suggestion #2 seems to be the preferred option for both the players and the devs and in a way seems to be the most realistic suggestion as well.

I guess we will have to go we solution #2 for the time being: Patience...
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    PixelsimmerPixelsimmer Posts: 2,351 Member
    edited August 2016
    CrackFox wrote: »
    Saying no will hurt their reputation and their sales. The game has sold respectable so far but remember that a lot of people still have faith that they are coming, threads like these are usually divided.

They could say no but dangling the carrot is much better for them.

I'm not saying this is not a possibility but dangling the carrot like that will only get them so far. It would be a very nearsighted strategy on their part to be honest. I mean if by the time Ts4 has ended its lifecycle we don't have toddlers, everyone will know EA was being misleading with these kind of statements. That could hurt the reputation of the brand even more so than just coming clean and stating the truth.

Anyway, as I said I think time will tell...
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    All I'm saying is I'd rather know that they are being worked on and then told they had failed (for whatever reason) than to be told nothing at all.

Honesty. That's all I *really* want. I've had enough of this subject for today. Could somebody please write on my wall if Drake replies at all to the Q&A thread? I would really appreciate it.

--T
  • Options
    Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,139 Member
    @Cinderellimouse Very good post. It is a very difficult decision to make because I love the Sims franchise. These little pixel people have given me thousands of hours of fun, relaxation and much needed mini vacations from Real Life. That's why what is happening right now is so disappointing and frustrating. Beyond pulling my financial support of the game by refraining from spending one cent more for Eps, game or stuff packs, I truly don't know what else to say or do that might make a difference and bring back some of the fun. Today I am happy with the game but I see so much that could be added to make it an even better game. New ideas are always nice, but there was nothing wrong with some of the older aspects of the game that made it feel more personal. The customization of the game has dwindled a bit when it comes to family play. Having had all the life stages for years, it is very difficult to accept the omission of the one life stage that gave us so many 'awww' moments. I played many single Sims that were focused on careers or just having fun. Many of my Sims never married or had children. But I had the choice to have single, childless Sims in my worlds. So the toddler issue is not just about filling every house with five or more toddlers. It is more about being able to have the choice of what kinds of families I want in my personal game. The latest packs have given us a lot of decorating, hair and clothing choices, and all of that is a good thing, but I would enjoy more depth being added to the population of our worlds. And for me, that means having toddlers.

• Options
    ConclueConclue Posts: 2,307 Member
    Terra wrote: »
    My opinion (which is nothing but speculation, an educated guess):

Toddlers are being worked on, and they will be a free update. EA cannot announce free content outside of its release quarter. We hate this but I think the reason makes sense, as explained in the long Q&A Gamescom thread: Say that today they announce "Guess what guys, toddlers WILL be in the game at some point, 100% guaranteed, and it will be a free patch to the base game, maybe two or three quarters from now!" A bunch of people then buy TS4 base game that quarter because there will be toddlers patched in at some point. However, those people are not just buying TS4 base game as is - they are buying "base game + expectations" about what will be added to it. That's where you run into the problems because people have bought a base game because of content that isn't actually in it yet, and so the sales of the basegame are connected to content that isn't actually in the game yet. (I think @luthienrising can explain it better than I can but she might be getting sick of explaining it, haha.)

Now, a lot of people are angry because they feel that they already bought "base game + expectations" when they got TS4 at launch with the promises of a strong foundation, dreams coming true, toddlers cuddling unicorns pooping rainbows yada yada yada. But since now we're talking about free updates to the base game (which TS4 does more often than a lot of other games), it's a different thing from the accounting POV so, as much as it is a plummy pile of plum sauce, it IS a different kettle of fish and IS bound by these restrictions.

I mean, if they're talking about toddlers every day at the studio, they're either a) working on them and planning to release them or b) working on them and still struggling to fit them into the game so don't actually know whether they'll be added.

@rshell193 to answer your question "I thought they said toddlers were going to be in it anyways, didn't they?" - there was an early statement that the game would include toddlers, and then they reneged on that between the first pre-orders and the base game launch.

ETA: The only way they could announce that toddlers were coming outside the quarter they're coming in is if they're going to be paid content.

I agree... I do think they are working on toddlers. I think they've been doing a lot of hard work behind the scenes.

I don't put blame on developers, but EA who is putting the entire team in an unfair situation.

When toddlers are announced, I believe it will be out of no where, and just dropped into the game shortly thereafter. The other problem is "TEAM SIMS4" who made a protest that they don't want toddlers in their game (because they wanted to just defend the game as it was, understandably) will want to resist toddlers to make their points valid from the past. It's a tough situation - I think they're coming sooner than later to be quite honest. In 8 months there's only been 5 releases, and 4 of them have essentially been DLC stuff packs. (not that I have a thing against them I *love* the restructuring of how content is brought to the game. Ditching the "store" concept from 3, reduces "labor costs" to host such a website, thus affording us content at a cheaper price. 9.99 for those packs is perfectly priced if you ask me, since I paid $17 for "Business as usual" and it didnt even work right, because of "overwatch" which well, was needed. lol

Eitherway - I'm expect to see toddlers soon. I think that they are just walking on a smooth edge - so say for instance they "plan" on releasing toddlers for the game in September (just saying) and 2 weeks out, a major glitch shows up they had missed (which happens a lot in development, understandable) they wouldn't want to deal with the backlash of having to "postone" what they said was coming. I think that's the main reason behind it -

Do you guys recall the pools? They initially said several weeks to a couple months. The Pools were released like a week or two later. So I feel they just don't want to put themselves in the position of saying "yes Toddlers by August!" Then something happens, so instead of toddlers they give you phone skins or something easy and quick to add into the patch (thats loved, mind you phone skins are cool! no shade).

That's my POV anyhoo.

That toddler "render" in the family portrait isn't just a render, it's too perfect. They clearly have "Toddlers" in some form, whether or not they work in the game is another story lol