Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Thread for new members to post their Sims 3 game issues

Comments

• Options
    moxy3dmoxy3d Posts: 4 New Member
    Thank you for your help. I will try both and see what I can find. Btw I was thinking maybe my specs weren't up to par with Sims 3. Could this be an issue?

Thanks again!
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    moxy3d wrote: »
    Thank you for your help. I will try both and see what I can find. Btw I was thinking maybe my specs weren't up to par with Sims 3. Could this be an issue?Thanks again!
    Your processor and video card are over the top for what is required to run TS3 with all expansions (the "entire game" as we like to say). I don't see where RAM and drive space are mentioned yet, but unless you have an unexpected shortage of those such as the game having been installed on an already overstuffed smaller SSD, your specs are fine.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    JediRangerSimJediRangerSim Posts: 3 New Member
    Hello! I was guided over here by the New Member Thread.

A friend recently gave me The Sims 3, Late Night, High-End Loft, Seasons, Showtime, Outdoor Living Stuff and Dragon Valley. I'd love to play the Sims 3 and since I'm also hunting for a new laptop, this seemed like a good place to come for advice. I've done a little research (mostly to see if the game would run on my iMac - nope) and I'm a little nervous by how many comments I ran into about the Sims 3 being a "buggy mess" and requiring a super high-end machine. It looks like you need to make sure you have at least 8GB RAM if you want to play all of the Sims 3 content. Anything else I should be looking for? I'm pretty new when it comes to shopping for non-Mac stuff so assume I'm an idiot when you have a suggestion.

Thanks!
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    @JediRangerSim - Hi there. These are what we would call real world specs required for all 11 EPs on a laptop. The heaviest hitting EPs are Pets, Seasons, ITF, and IP pretty much in that order and you already have one of them in your collection. You may want more later on. Desktops don't need quite as much power to deliver the same performance and tend to be cheaper, the downside of course being no portability.

Processor - i5 quad core or higher (i7 is best for a laptop), or the AMD equivalent, at least 2.4 GHz, NOT the ultra low-powered U-series.
    RAM - At least 6 GB, would recommend at least 8 GB though.
    Graphics Card - Dedicated Nvidia, on the current series that would be GTX 1050 mobile or higher (1060, etc.) or the AMD equivalent. Older series cards are fine too, but they don't tend to make new laptops with older cards in them. Weaker cards or integrated graphics only typically cannot carry the game with the heavier EPs in play.
    Hard Drive - At least 512 GB, the game itself doesn't need that much but as you play and collect saved games and possibly more content it becomes annoyingly restrictive to work with a smaller drive. TS3 benefits from being run on a Solid State Drive (SSD), but ones of sufficient size will drive the price tag up and this isn't a requirement.

I wouldn't say this all adds up to a "super high-end machine" by 2018 standards, but an under $300 (USD) web surfing device isn't going to do it. Prices for laptops meeting these requirements tend to start around $900, there can be sales that bring the prices down slightly, they will start higher in other countries.

Should also ask though as your wording was a little vague, was the game and this added content all part of a gift with you as the original owner or has the friend given you used game discs? If Origin is required to install and manage the games (base game discs manufactured after Sept. 2012 require this) or they were digital and not disc to begin with, then ownership is not transferable and you will get stuck trying to install them.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    JediRangerSimJediRangerSim Posts: 3 New Member
    @igazor Apologies. All of the games were new and sealed when I got them.
  • Options
    @igazor Apologies. All of the games were new and sealed when I got them.
    In that case, I would have to say this is a friend very much worth holding onto at all costs. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    INDIABOLINDIABOL Posts: 39 Member
    Hi everyone,

So, I'm having another small issue and I wanted to be sure here first. I have Geforce 940 MX and I did a factory reset on my folder a few days ago. I tried the solution of running my game through the Geforce experience but in the device configuration note, it still says found = 0 and match = 0. I'm only wondering if I should pay attention to this because even after deleting a large portion of not needed CC (like 5000 files worth), I have lag when I zoom out or zoom in. Almost like hiccups.

I feel like it's also worth noting that when I go to map view, my lots disappear. As in they look like a blank lot freshly bulldozed until I zoom in again. The only mods I have now are hairs and clothing and I've recently gone through everything and got rid of all conflicts which have helped tremendously in load time, interaction queuing and more, yet I can't see to figure out why this is. I also have Nraas mods, and a few mods from modthesims as well.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    @INDIABOL - I'm sorry to have to point this out, but it has already been mentioned by @puzzlezaddict. Your computer is not strong enough for TS3 and all EPs to perform in what most of us would call an acceptable and consistent manner. The U-series processor and 940MX card are just not the right components for this game, again with all EPs. I understand you have resolved your crashing problem by playing in gentler worlds and cleaning out massive amounts of content and mods, but most players on that combo have difficulty just running the game and more than one or two of the earliest EPs on it. It will forever be trying to catch up to instructions that the game keeps throwing at it faster than it can cope and I'm afraid to say it's likely the crashes will return.

The game requires a stronger processor and, in the 900 series, a 960M card or higher for laptops (or a 1050 mobile or higher in that series) or the AMD equivalent. The lower end cards do not have the required bus width, so the throughput the game needs just isn't there.

It's not entirely necessary to have a formally recognized graphics card. The most important thing the formal recognition does is set the defaults appropriately, but we can change the game options ourselves regardless. The card is still being used as best it can.

On the lot tags constantly disappearing, you could try NRaas Tagger. But I'm not convinced that will really solve the problem in this case or it will become a trade-off for something else that doesn't get processed properly along the way.
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    INDIABOLINDIABOL Posts: 39 Member
    Ah, okay, I see. I guess that I was just confused because my lots showed up fine before I did a folder sweep, but that the source of my issues could be from my laptop. Okay, thank you!
  • Options
    > @igazor said:
    > moxy3d wrote: »
    >
    > Thank you for your help. I will try both and see what I can find. Btw I was thinking maybe my specs weren't up to par with Sims 3. Could this be an issue?Thanks again!
    >
    >
    >
    > Your processor and video card are over the top for what is required to run TS3 with all expansions (the "entire game" as we like to say). I don't see where RAM and drive space are mentioned yet, but unless you have an unexpected shortage of those such as the game having been installed on an already overstuffed smaller SSD, your specs are fine.

I have 16GB and 1TB SSD. And strangely I'm getting a lot of lag in game. What is wrong here??
  • Options
    moxy3d wrote: »
    I have 16GB and 1TB SSD. And strangely I'm getting a lot of lag in game. What is wrong here??
    Have you successfully resolved the wildly high fps issue? Uncapped frame rates will cause lag in addition to a host of other problems.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    > @igazor said:
    > moxy3d wrote: »
    >
    > I have 16GB and 1TB SSD. And strangely I'm getting a lot of lag in game. What is wrong here??
    >
    >
    >
    > Have you successfully resolved the wildly high fps issue? Uncapped frame rates will cause lag in addition to a host of other problems.

Yes, I am sorry I neglected to mention that detail. I'm using the NVIDIA Inspector, and it seems to have got the FPS to a more normal rate (45-50). However, in game I am getting astoundingly low FPS or just sudden drops to single digits! What did I do wrong? I was under the impression I had the hardware to run this game.

Thank you
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    @moxy3d - I wouldn't worry too much about the frame drops by themselves. Lag is when the game clock keeps stalling for 15 seconds to several real time minutes at a time, the animations in the game continue, and our sims go through their motions with repeated start-stop jerks that make proper gameplay impossible to manage. Is this what you are seeing or is it more like camera stutter and brief delays in rendering when you focus or zoom on different locations?

Overly complicated lots with too many objects can cause lag on any system. So can worlds with severe routing or other problems built in or sims with far too many items in their personal inventories -- which world(s) are you playing in? Can you try playing offline (not logged in at the Launcher or in-game levels), and with the in-game TS3 Store shopping experience switched off? Does it get any better if you start up a new test game in a known to be gentle to play world such as Sunset Valley, Riverview, or Twinbrook or does the same thing happen? Do you have High Detail Lots set to no more than 2 and Reflections (mirror/water) no higher than medium -- these settings tend to provide more overhead than benefit.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    simmer100simmer100 Posts: 8 New Member
    would this laptop work with sims 3, all EPs except ITF and Seasons installed? (sorry i can’t post links)

Key Specs
    Screen Size -15.6 inches
    Touch Screen - No
    Battery Life - 5 hours
    Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
    System Memory (RAM) -8 gigabytes
    Processor Speed (Base) -2.2 gigahertz
    Processor Model - Intel 8th Generation Core i7
    Processor Model Number - i7-8750H
    Operating System - Windows 10
    Storage Type - HDD
    Total Storage Capacity - 1.000 terabytes
    Hard Drive Capacity - 1000 gigabytes

Feature

Backlit Keyboard - Yes
    Cooling System - Air

Display
    Screen Resolution -1920 x 1080 (Full HD)
    Display Type Full HD Widescreen LED

Storage
    Storage Type HDD
    Total Storage Capacity 1.000 terabytes
    Hard Drive Capacity 1000 gigabytes
    Hard Drive RPM 7200 revolutions per minute
    Hard Drive InterfaceSATA
    Hard Drive Accelerator None

Memory
    Type of Memory (RAM) - DDR4 SDRAM
    System Memory RAM Speed - 2666 megahertz
    Cache Memory - 9 megabytes
    System Memory RAM Expandable To 16 gigabytes
    Number Of Memory Slots 2

Graphics
    Graphics Type - Discrete
    GPU Brand NVIDIA
    Video Memory -4000 megabytes
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    @simmer100 - Hi there. That system meets or exceeds all requirements to run TS3 with all EPs, what we like to call "the entire game."
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    @igazor What I’m concerned about is a comment made by one of the expert reviewers

“If you intend on playing VR titles, the Y530 isn't the laptop for you.”

Is TS3 a VR game?
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    simmer100 wrote: »
    @igazor What I’m concerned about is a comment made by one of the expert reviewers

“If you intend on playing VR titles, the Y530 isn't the laptop for you.”

Is TS3 a VR game?
    VR means Virtual Reality. It's where the player wears goggles or some other device that immerses themselves in the game's environment more than watching and interacting with a screen does. And I have to agree that VR games do take much more powerful specs and components to run than more standard ones do.

No, sims games are not VR. Maybe there will be one that is someday way off in the future. But our sims can play VR games if you buy them the correct equipment (goggles) from Build/Buy, though that doesn't really count. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    > @igazor said:
    > simmer100 wrote: »
    >
    > @igazor What I’m concerned about is a comment made by one of the expert reviewers
    >
    > “If you intend on playing VR titles, the Y530 isn't the laptop for you.”
    >
    > Is TS3 a VR game?
    >
    >
    >
    > VR means Virtual Reality. It's where the player wears goggles or some other device that immerses themselves in the game's environment more than watching and interacting with a screen does. And I have to agree that VR games do take much more powerful specs and components to run than more standard ones do.
    >
    > No, sims games are not VR. Maybe there will be one that is someday way off in the future. But our sims can play VR games if you buy them the correct equipment (goggles) from Build/Buy, though that doesn't really count. :)

All right, so I will assume that the laptop is good. Thank you so much for taking the time to answer all my questions! You’ve been very helpful.
  • Options
    ZeiZei Posts: 254 Member
    Hello, I have a small problem related to just one custom content. It's an eyebrow that I either got from modthesims or thesimsresource, which was working just fine until today. Today I suddenly realized that when I try to pick that specific cc brow in CAS, it does weird things, like turning my sim's face yellow, or showing as an invisible brow. I don't understand what I could have done to cause this. Any ideas?
  • Options
    Zei wrote: »
    Hello, I have a small problem related to just one custom content. It's an eyebrow that I either got from modthesims or thesimsresource, which was working just fine until today. Today I suddenly realized that when I try to pick that specific cc brow in CAS, it does weird things, like turning my sim's face yellow, or showing as an invisible brow. I don't understand what I could have done to cause this. Any ideas?
    It can often be difficult to determine what goes wrong with CC that was once working well. Perhaps it's conflicting with something else that is now in your game that wasn't present or being used prior. Usually the best advice is to not use/delete it when this happens and move on.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    tiny_ikaratiny_ikara Posts: 200 Member
    I can't get a schedule when my Sim is at the university, and I can not spot any professors (I think this is how it works -- you have to meet one to get a schedule, right?). I try everything to get my schedule, but my Sims always end up graduating with a C because they basically don't have classes to skip nor anything to do. Even studying by the book doesn't help from that C, honestly. For now, I use MasterController to get the diploma I need, but this is boring. By the way, that all started way before MC since I was very reluctant to use it as it may cause game corruption, but then I just couldn't go on without a flirtable Emit clone and backed up my save files. And the university thing was there when I installed the game, I think. I just didn't jump right into that part of the game after installation.

Sorry if someone else complained about that.
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    @tiny_ikara - Hi there. First of all, this business of MasterController corrupting players' games is news to me. NRaas mods were made originally by Twallan, a professional programmer/developer, and are now maintained with a similar degree of professionalism. We offer full support for them at NRaas. In general, I would have to say that most of us find such mods add stability (and fun) to an otherwise potentially unstable game, not that they destroy it.

With that out of the way, some of what you are experiencing at Uni is unfortunately common but some of it is way beyond that. Academic schedules are set up somewhere in between registering for a new term, in the homeworld where you choose the major and number of credits, and Sunday afternoon, the day of arrival at Uni World. It is not necessary to attend the student union Meet & Greet at all and in fact I haven't seen professors at that function in years myself. I usually just ignore it unless my sims are dying to get a new poster and freebies like that for their dorm/bedroom.

Professors not showing up at all throughout the term is a different problem. MC can be used to elevate fellow students to the professor level, but many of us find that the current version of StoryProgression takes care of this for us if we allow SP to run its form of progression while playing in Uni World.

But if you have no schedule of classes I have to agree there isn't much point in being there and no, it would not be possible to improve one's grades beyond the starting point of C with no classes and no exams to take. There really isn't any way to fix that once the term was supposed to have started (Monday morning).

It is possible that something has gone wrong with your instance of Uni World. I would suggest that you make an extra copy of your ongoing game save so you can dump it and revert to the current one if this makes things worse somehow, and when your sim is still at home (NOT in Uni World!) with the game not running, delete the Sims University nhd file within that game save. A new instance of Uni World will spawn the next time you enroll for a term. The world and its inactive sims will be exactly the same ones the first time you saw Uni World and any relationships you had with the originals will be gone as those sims will no longer exist; how unsettling that would be depends on how engaged your sim was with their fellow students prior.

And I would also strongly suggest NRaas Traveler, Overwatch, and ErrorTrap in addition to MC (and SP). The mods are designed to work together and work very hard to help prevent glitches like this.
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    tiny_ikaratiny_ikara Posts: 200 Member
    @igazor
    Thanks; I'll try that.
  • Options
    BIBHBIBH Posts: 20 Member
    Hello everybody ! I accidentally deleted my saves and backup file . Is there any way to find my saves or i lost the for ever?
    Thank you in advance!
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    BIBH wrote: »
    Hello everybody ! I accidentally deleted my saves and backup file . Is there any way to find my saves or i lost the for ever?
    Thank you in advance!
    If the files are still in your Recycle Bin (Windows) or Trash (Mac), then you can find them in there and put them back where they belong. Otherwise no, unless you have a backup to disk or to the cloud system set up and can retrieve older copies from one of those.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top