Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Thread for new members to post their Sims 3 game issues

Comments

• Options
    BIBHBIBH Posts: 20 Member
    yeah i found them into the Recycle bin Thank you ! Now the reason i deleted them is that my toddler daughter has stuck and doesnt age up . I tried to reset her and with the birthday cake to age her up but nothing works. Also , i cant see her in family's picture in main menu. Any ideas?
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited September 2018
    @BIBH - When a sim is age-stuck, it often (not always) means there is something wrong with one of their current outfits. Try bringing the toddler into testingcheats CAS and change all of their outfits, do not use CC for the new ones if you have any installed. They are going to get all new clothes as a child anyway so it doesn't really matter what you select for them now. Then try the cake again.

That's ctrl+shift+C for the cheats console, type testingcheatsenabled true (enter), shift-click on the sim to bring them into CAS. Cheats console again when finished and testingcheatsenabled false (enter).

If that doesn't work, the next more drastic thing to try would be to age them up to child within CAS. Be prepared though for them to be glitched graphically, as in sometimes their head/neck will not fit their body. Children this happens to tend to grow out of it by their teen years, but it's still kind of a last resort method to keep the sim in play.

Finally, you might need to re-create the sim but that's really a last resort because a new sim would not have all the memories and experiences that your toddler now has and you would need mods to connect a new sim to the current family correctly.

There are mods that offer some degree of protection from this happening for those so inclined such as NRaas Overwatch and ErrorTrap, and shortcuts for fixing it (MasterController to trigger an age-up without the cake), but unfortunately it still does happen sometimes.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    BIBHBIBH Posts: 20 Member
    it stucks when i try to bring them into CAS
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    BIBH wrote: »
    it stucks when i try to bring them into CAS
    If you are running with CC (clothes and other CAS parts in particular, things like cars and furniture aren't going to matter), try removing it all. Any different?

Are you routinely clearing (deleting) the five cache files on the top level of your TS3 user game folder in Documents? If not, this would be a good time to try that.
    CasPartCache.package
    compositorCache.package
    scriptCache.package
    simCompositorCache.package
    socialCache.package (this one is optional)

They may be showing up in Windows without the ".package" extension but that's okay, they are the same files. They will each regenerate the next time the game is launched.

If still no good, am afraid you have a corrupt sim on your hands. Can you revert to a prior save earlier in the ongoing game's timeline from before the age-up was ever even attempted and try to work with that one?

Are you using mods?
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    Molono123Molono123 Posts: 7 New Member
    Game randomly closes itself right in the middle of gameplay. i tried finding a discussion that already existed, and i dont know how to make my own discussion. the game doesnt crash, it completely CLOSES. like as if it had never been open in the first place. makes having families really inconvenient when i have to redo and redo progress. i dont have a mods folder in my game, as i presumed it was that the first time it happened. i do, however, have CC in the game. help??
  • Options
    puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    @Molono123 You're in exactly the right place. New members can't start their own discussions, hence this thread specifically for them.

It would be helpful to know the specs of your computer: processor, RAM, graphics card, free and total storage. If you don't know how to find this information, or you'd like to cover all your bases, a dxdiag would be even better. You can post the results at pastebin (free) or another site and provide a broken-up link—use periods or spaces so that this forum doesn't recognize it as an active link. Please also list the packs you have installed, as well as your type of install (Origin, Steam, disc).

https://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-3/HOW-TO-DxDiag-PC-Only/m-p/1049584/thread-id/47181

It might help to play in a clean game folder. Drag your existing TS3 folder out of Documents and onto your desktop and launch the game again, and a clean folder will spawn with no content. Your problem could be bad cc, but it could also be another corrupted file in your existing folder, and generating a new one will remove everything at once. If you can play a new game in this folder without the problem recurring, you can start moving your saves and other content into the new folder from the old one, a few files at a time. If the game suddenly closes again, you'll know that one or more of the files you just moved is a problem.
  • Options
    PrincessAlyshabPrincessAlyshab Posts: 2 New Member
    Hello I have checked online prior to coming on this discussion. When I send my sims on a trip or to University, the sim panel is blank and I can not do anything with the game. I have tried deleting the .package files e.c.t. and ive tried multiple sims in my town to go traveling and it doesn't work. The thing it, it works in a different town but I have all my buildings, sims (essentially progress) in this town I am using and do not want to start over. any suggestions?
    Thank you~
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Hello I have checked online prior to coming on this discussion. When I send my sims on a trip or to University, the sim panel is blank and I can not do anything with the game. I have tried deleting the .package files e.c.t. and ive tried multiple sims in my town to go traveling and it doesn't work. The thing it, it works in a different town but I have all my buildings, sims (essentially progress) in this town I am using and do not want to start over. any suggestions?
    Thank you~
    If not averse to using mods, the NRaas Traveler mod working together with Overwatch and ErrorTrap helps to prevent travel transition glitches such as what you have described.

Without mods, cut back on as much stress on the game as you can before the travel transition to see if that helps. Stay offline, meaning not logged in, at the Launcher and in-game levels, turn graphics settings in the Game Options all down the the ugly bare minimum (you can put them back later after a safe arrival), switch off the in-game TS3 Store shopping feature, switch off the hidden object startup game, only attempt travel in either direction after a save (as) and a fresh loadup of the game, and hope for the best. Unfortunately you may find that you can travel outbound that way and then get stuck not being able to get home again but some do get results with this.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    @puzzlezaddict hello! thank you! i have all my stats! i dont know how to work PasteBin so if its alright ill just post them here!!!

My professor is an Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4200 @ 1.10GHz 1.10GHz
    RAM; 4.00 GB (3.83 GB unable)
    Intel(R) HD Graphics
    Storage space total is 906, and the free storage is 717
    I have TS3 Ambitions, Fast Lane Stuff Pack, Generations, High End Loft stuff, Into the future, Island Paradise, Late night, Outdoor Living, Pets, Seasons, Showtime, Supernatural, University life, and world adventures.
    The type of install I have is through Origin.

if you need anything else, you can add my origin account and we can message through there
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    @Molono123 - Sorry, but I think we're really going to need to see that dxdiag report. Pastebin should be a matter of copying the text of the report in its entirety and pasting it into the huge paste box provided, then click the button that says "Create New Paste." No user accounts are needed. If you are having trouble getting that to work, perhaps you could send the dxdiag up to the cloud to another service that works for you better and provide a broken up link so we can read it.

And/or maybe we can get a make and precise model name and number of what you have?

My reason for saying we need to see this is that the specs you have posted are so far below requirements that it should be utterly impossible for the game to launch in the first place and I think maybe something is getting "lost in translation," so to speak. But if they do turn out to be accurate, I'm sorry but there is no way that TS3 should even have been installed on that computer, and the EPs you listed would cause it to overheat if they even tried to run which may well be why it is shutting down on you. :/
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    @Molono123 Normally, the full text of a dxdiag would be necessary, but your specs make it pretty clear why TS3 keeps closing on you. Unfortunately, your processor, RAM, and graphics card are all below recommended specs to run the game. In all honesty, I'm surprised you can launch it at all. With so many packs installed, the game's demands would be more than your hardware could ever be expected to handle.

Pets is the most demanding pack in terms of both processing power and graphics. Next is Seasons, followed by IP and ITF. To run all or most of these, the recommendation is a processor of at least 2.4 GHz (and not U- or Y-series) and a dedicated graphics card—at least an Nvidia 960 or 1050 ti or equivalent. Some players with slightly weaker hardware than this get by on lower graphics settings; others can't run the most demanding packs, or have to choose among them. But some computers more powerful than yours cannot run TS3 at all. Even though each system is slightly different, I'd never expect anyone to be able to play on a computer like yours.

Another problem you have is insufficient RAM. Your OS will take up some of your 4 GB memory (mine takes around 1.5 GB on startup, although yours may use less than that), and the game can use over 3 GB itself. The minimum to run TS3 with all or most packs is really 6 GB, with 8 GB recommended. But while this could certainly be the cause of your issues, you'd more likely be seeing crashes or Error 12 messages when you tried to save. Still, even if you could get TS3 up and running, the packs you have installed would almost certainly call for more memory than you have installed, at least once you'd played for a bit.

I'm really sorry to say this, but I don't think there's any way to play TS3 on this computer. You could try running just the base game and maybe a stuff pack or two, but even that might be more than your system can handle. It just doesn't have strong enough hardware to meet the demands of the game, and you may well get crashing or closing no matter what you do.

Edit: If igazor wants to see a dxdiag in the hopes that you have stronger hardware than you listed, please provide one. But he's right, a computer with those specs won't be able to run TS3 with any success.
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    @puzzlezaddict - That processor will turbo to 2.5 GHz, which may be how they have been able to get the game running. I still think the dxdiag might provide more clues. But running on turbo constantly as would be required here rather than pulsing up to it only occasionally will likely overheat and ruin the device if the program didn't keep shutting down on the player as it's probably not meant to run that hard continuously. I too am curious how the heavier hitting EPs were even able to launch though, and as to what kind of device this one is.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    @igazor and @puzzlezaddict ive gone ahead and posted my dxdiag on pastebin . com / bjSCUL8a . if this does come down to the fact that i am running on a bad system, please let me know how i could fix this! if it comes down to getting a new computer completely; i would be very very sad.
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Strange, even the dxdiag didn't know what to make of your processor. But the model number was easy enough to look up and get the rest of the info.

I'm sorry if it makes you sad, but this is a Lenovo IdeaPad or something close to that line from the past. These are lightweight devices made for surfing the web, email, streaming video, and light office tasks. Yours has a very roomy hard drive, it would probably be great for work/school and anything that generates a lot of documents and needs to be portable. It is not designed for gaming, at least not for processor and graphics intensive games like TS3 (or TS4). It might be able to handle TS2 pretty well though, if that's any consolation.

Laptops that can carry the entire game have the attributes that @puzzlezaddict mentioned above and will start at $900 (USD), prices will be higher in other countries. Desktops will run cheaper for stronger components. This one is a very different class of device.
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    pkwildpkwild Posts: 4 New Member
    My Game Launcher won't load new houses. It locks up and won't process anything. Is there a way to uninstall/re-install just the launcher without reinstalling the entire game? I'm running from the original discs, but have ALL the expansion packs, so that would take forever to accomplish....Thanks for the help in advance.
  • Options
    pkwild wrote: »
    My Game Launcher won't load new houses. It locks up and won't process anything. Is there a way to uninstall/re-install just the launcher without reinstalling the entire game? I'm running from the original discs, but have ALL the expansion packs, so that would take forever to accomplish....Thanks for the help in advance.
    No, it is not possible to reinstall the Launcher only. And I wouldn't recommend reinstalling anyway as that almost never solves anything. The program files themselves do not change with usage unless a new patch is applied (and we haven't had any new patches in years).

Is the issue with ALL custom lots to be installed or just some in particular from one particular source? Could be an issue with the CC itself. And just to confirm, what you are trying to work with is in sims3pack format?

Better than reinstalling, what you could try is pulling out your entire TS3 user game folder from Documents (you can put it back later as needed) and try again on a test game on the new no-content user game folder that will spawn to take its place on the next launch.

Also worth mentioning, if you are on the Mac version of the game many players find that they have to temporarily remove their Mods folder to get the Launcher to behave itself better.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    Not an a Mac, but could you be more specific about the "entire TS3 user game folder"?
  • Options
    Oh, and it is several house lots that I'm trying to install. They are all from Mod The Sims and I've tried them individually and all at the same time. The program just locks up and doesn't do anything. I have used the Installed Content and uninstalled some things and it works just fine.
  • Options
    Isn't there some other way to install custom content??
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    pkwild wrote: »
    Not an a Mac, but could you be more specific about the "entire TS3 user game folder"?
    Documents (or My Documents)\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3

This is your user game folder. It is removable and hot swappable. The point of pulling it out is to get a clean no-content folder on which to test the lot installations. If they work on the clean folder, then there is something in the one you are really playing on that is interfering. If they do not work on the clean folder, then they were never going to work on the used one.

Do not be concerned when you see your saved games and all of your content gone or if all of your Game Options have been reset to defaults, everything you have now will still be safe back in the pulled out folder. We call this the Clean Folder Test (or a Factory Reset, same thing) and it is standard troubleshooting procedure.

No, there is no other way to install sims3packs. Many of them can be converted to package files using 3rd party utility tools, but not sure if that works well with lots as the "packs" tend to have many things bundled together inside and the lot itself needs to land in the Library folder, not some other place like Mods\Packages.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    FunsizedSimmerFunsizedSimmer Posts: 11 New Member
    Hey, I'm having trouble with my sim when he goes to work. He just got promoted to Bagman (level 5) at the criminal job. His first night as Bagman he won't change into uniform. He goes to work in his Outerwear. Plus while he is at work it says "going to work" and his progress won't increase. I think the two issues are related. I have found nothing to fix it. I tried changing his work clothes like I do for sims who wont go to work at all. I reset him with the cheat and a hard reset with Master Controller. I cant find any solutions online/in the forum.
  • Options
    Okay, so right at midnight it says "working" and he got paid for those last 3 hours.
  • Options
    Hey, I'm having trouble with my sim when he goes to work. He just got promoted to Bagman (level 5) at the criminal job. His first night as Bagman he won't change into uniform. He goes to work in his Outerwear. Plus while he is at work it says "going to work" and his progress won't increase. I think the two issues are related. I have found nothing to fix it. I tried changing his work clothes like I do for sims who wont go to work at all. I reset him with the cheat and a hard reset with Master Controller. I cant find any solutions online/in the forum.

@FunsizedSimmer This is a known issue for careers with work shifts that span over midnight. The problem is that the game assigns the work hours for the upcoming day at or just after midnight. But then the sim gets promoted at the end of the shift, which in your case was likely at 3 am. So the game doesn't know what to do with the hours at the beginning of the shift and won't credit your sim for working them (but will dock him if he stays home). The problem goes away at midnight because those hours were already properly set the previous morning.

A MC reset won't help, nor will changing clothes, as this problem isn't due to sim or career outfit corruption. I'm pretty sure that using MC to grand and rescind a day off doesn't help, either. You can, however, try using MC to force a work shift instead of just sending the sim into the building the normal way. (NRaas > MC > Intermediate > Career > Go to Work) You'll need MC Cheats in place as well. Hopefully, this will let your sim accrue job experience during those first three hours.

One thing to keep in mind about the MC command is that it starts counting work hours from the beginning of the hour in which you use it. So if you issue the command at 8:59 for a six-hour shift, MC will let your sim off work at 2:00 instead of 2:59, and you'll have to send him back to work (this time you can click on the building), or he'll be docked for missing the rest of his shift.

This problem is sort of self correcting, in that it won't surface on any day when your sim hasn't just been promoted, or on any work day after a day off. So it won't happen after your sim reaches the top of his career, but until then, you'll have to deal with it after every promotion that falls on the same morning as the start of the next shift.
  • Options
    @puzzlezaddict Thanks! I have been playing for some years and never had this problem. I almost always have issues with the criminal career. Rarely others.
  • Options
    HollaBecHollaBec Posts: 4 New Member
    Hi, I'm having an issue with the World Adventures expansion. When I visit a lot, it doesnt register that my sim is on the lot until I go to map view and click "visit xx" even when my sim is already on said lot.

This is minor and I wouldn't usually mind- but its messing with some of my adventures such as the pilgrim walk. When I have to visit a location for a quest, it doesn't register at all and I can't continue the chain of opportunities.

Thanks for your help <3
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top