Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Thread for new members to post their Sims 3 game issues

Comments

• Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited October 2018
    @WynterBlackwell - I am afraid that you will find that your questions are "beyond the pay grade" (so to speak) of those here and the unmerging question has already been answered on the thread you last posted in. The answer hasn't changed since then.
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/15813238/#Comment_15813238

For more detailed assistance, I think the talent you require would really be found on the TS3 Help board at MTS rather than here.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    Dao_TuiDao_Tui Posts: 8 New Member
    My game won't start.
    The launcher comes up, but also an error saying:
    An error emerged while starting the game. Check the logbook for more details.
    The version says: 0.0.0.0 ????
    I have never had trouble playing on my laptop, but it's been a while now and both sims 3 and 4 won't work.

I have uninstalled are reinstalled Origin, repaired the game via origin multiple times. Completely uninstalled sims and everything related to it. Reinstalled, no luck...
    Then uninstalled sims again and Origin and reinstalled Origin and just the sims 3 (no expansions whatsoever).
    Sadly enough, still no luck.

Never used mods and I'm a total lost cause when it comes to computer and how it works :s

Sorry for any typos and if I don't understand a reply very well, I normally speak Dutch.
  • Options
    @Dao_Tui - Afraid I can't speak to the TS4 failures, but the Launcher reporting version 0.0.0.0 is a sign of a broken installation. In between uninstalling TS3 entirely, are you cleaning the Windows Registry with a tool such as Piriform's CCleaner (the free version is fine)? Otherwise remnants of the prior install can remain behind and get in the way of the new one.

This is assuming you are on Windows, the Mac version would require different handling.

Is it possible that you have attempted to run the EA SuperPatcher on an Origin controlled 1.69 install? That's a knows source of Version 0 issues, but of course there are others. The SuperPatcher is meant strictly for retail disc installs on 1.67 or those intending to be on 1.67.

The other thing I'm not seeing mentioned is, after the clean registry-reinstall steps, have you pulled your TS3 user game folder out of Documents to the Desktop to let a new one spawn to take its place? Likely a pre-existing user game folder will become damaged during the uninstalls and reinstalls, but it usually does not get removed entirely. Your TS3 added content, installed worlds, saved sims and game saves are in there and will no longer be available once the folder is pulled out, but it will all still be safe there and can possibly be slowly added back in if you can get a reinstalled game on a "clean" user game folder to work properly.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    WynterBlackwellWynterBlackwell Posts: 3 New Member
    > @igazor said:
    >the unmerging question has already been answered on the thread you last posted in. The answer hasn't changed since then.

Well, that was rude. Especially that I've never posted on this forum (and after this I don't think I will again) you can see the number of myposts under my name.
  • Options
    @igazor Not doing anything. I was away from my computer while letting origin install and the sims also.
    I was on GameVersion = 1.69.43.024017 and that is exactly what it says it still is. I indeed use the free CCleaner. I tried while cleaning after every uninstall and install. And then without cleaning in between... Both give the same result.
    I'm on windows 10.
    I don't remember a superpatcher. But I have the discs, although of course, I install via Origin now because my disc reader is broken...
    But I have been able to play just fine on version 1.69. I believe this problem to have started about a few months ago.
    But by that time, I was so busy with other stuff that I couldn't find the time to try and fix things or ask for help.

I haven't pulled the game folder out of my documents. After I uninstalled the sims and origin completely, I deleted that one. I didn't mind starting completely anew. But there is no new one in my documents either.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    > @igazor said:
    >the unmerging question has already been answered on the thread you last posted in. The answer hasn't changed since then.

Well, that was rude. Especially that I've never posted on this forum (and after this I don't think I will again) you can see the number of myposts under my name.
    And in one of those posts you asked a similar question, at the end of the thread that I linked to.

I am very sorry if I came across as rude, that certainly was not intended as I was trying to point you towards other players here and/or at MTS who have more experience with what you need to do. If you really feel that I was out of line, then do report me to the forum moderators but that's no reason to avoid the forums entirely. :/
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    Dao_Tui wrote: »
    @igazor Not doing anything. I was away from my computer while letting origin install and the sims also.
    I was on GameVersion = 1.69.43.024017 and that is exactly what it says it still is. I indeed use the free CCleaner. I tried while cleaning after every uninstall and install. And then without cleaning in between... Both give the same result.
    I'm on windows 10.
    I don't remember a superpatcher. But I have the discs, although of course, I install via Origin now because my disc reader is broken...
    But I have been able to play just fine on version 1.69. I believe this problem to have started about a few months ago.
    But by that time, I was so busy with other stuff that I couldn't find the time to try and fix things or ask for help.

I haven't pulled the game folder out of my documents. After I uninstalled the sims and origin completely, I deleted that one. I didn't mind starting completely anew. But there is no new one in my documents either.
    Now I have to wonder if you have a TS3 user game folder that has spawned or is trying to spawn in an unwanted location. Do you have OneDrive activated? There is a Documents folder in there that the game often finds and tries to use, but that of course is not where it's supposed to be and I wonder if that can be contributing to the breakage.

o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    It's not in the OneDrive Documents folder. I have checked that before and now again to be sure. I uninstalled sims 3 again and just finnished cleaning up my pc with ccleaner.
    I'll look around on my pc to see if I find a rogue file somewhere.
  • Options
    IceeyIceey Posts: 148 Member
    Hi there. I don't really know where to post this, so I'm gonna just do it here and I'll cut straight to the chase. I am switching my hard drive tomorrow and I don't wanna lose my gameplay progress. As for the cc, sims and families I'll just zip them and put them on a flash drive. Is there anyway I can save it and transfer it back to the game once I reinstall? Like any files I could move? Thank you very much!
  • Options
    puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    edited October 2018
    @Elizabethsims Everything you want to keep is located in your TS3 game folder in Documents. Your saves will be in Saves, your saved builds and families (the ones that show up for placement in Edit Town) will be in Library, and the sims you save within CAS will be in SavedSims. You could also transfer your installed store (.ebc files in DCCache) and custom (.dbc files in DCCache) content, if you want, although if you're switching types of installs, like from disc to Origin, you'll need to redownload and reinstall the store stuff. If you do transfer your store content, you'll need to bring along your ccmerged.package from DCBackup; venues and worlds will each have an accompanying file in Library and Installed Worlds as well.

You don't need to save any other files; the game will rebuild them as necessary. (The exception is Downloads, where your downloaded content lands before installation, but you may want to keep that content somewhere else, as a backup.) Here's a full explanation of all the files in your game folder:

https://sims3.crinrict.com/en/2011/01/faq-user-files.html

The best course of action is to install the game on your new drive, load it once to generate a clean folder, and then transfer your saved files in batches, testing the content to make sure it works in-game. You may find that you'll need to reinstall your store content, which doesn't always transfer well, but otherwise, your files should be fine.

P.S. Now that you're a full member, you can start your own discussions wherever you like.
  • Options
    FreakZhioFreakZhio Posts: 777 Member
    Hello Simmers,

I have a major concern. I just recent purchased a desktop with a GTX 1060 card and when I tested the FPS on TS3, it was reaching the 200s. I heard about limiting the FPS for TS3, but I have had no luck looking for a solution to this. I just don't want to mess up my card.
  • Options
    @FreakZhio The first tool to try is the built-in Nvidia Control Panel. CP doesn't always work, though, and never works in windowed mode, so next up would be Nvidia Inspector (free download). Here are screenshots of both setups, under the spoilers:

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/16540301/#Comment_16540301

If these don't work, there are other tools you can try as well. And you're right to be concerned about your card. An Nvidia 1060 is capable of working hard enough to eventually burn itself out if you don't cap your in-game frame rates.
  • Options
    AlwaysTheSunAlwaysTheSun Posts: 388 Member
    Tchfn31.jpg

Has anybody ever seen a white line around pets? I hope that it's easy to notice on the picture, between tail and the rest of the body in particular.
  • Options
    @AlwaysTheSun - Have you tried switching off Edge Smoothing in the Game Options and/or turning off Anti-Aliasing on the card's control panel as suggested in the other more dormant thread that you posted on to see if those make a difference?
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    tblu2326tblu2326 Posts: 14 New Member
    So I have a new laptop, and I have had it for a few months now.

At first, there was no problem when playing the sims 3 on it, but one day it crashed with no warning to the desktop. No error message popped up, it just closed itself down without after freezing for a bit. Ever since the first crash, it has been happening sporadically. I DO have mods and over 1000 downloads, but I have already loaded the game up without them and it has closed out even then.

I'm guessing it has something to do with FPS. Even when I made it so it was more controlled as someone suggested, it still goes up to the 200 when plugged into the charger. I also tried to lower my graphics, but it still goes up when plugged in. Is their anyway I can prevent it from going higher than 60 when plugged in??? My fan always comes on, but when it's just on battery its fine.

Any help and suggestions are welcome.

Here is my file.

=== Application info ===
    Name: Sims3
    Version:
    Build: Release
    === Rating info ===
    GPU: 5 GPU Memory: 1 CPU: 2 RAM: 4 CPU Speed: 2304 Threading: 3
    Adjusted CPU: 2672 RAM: 8034 Adjusted RAM: 7522 Cores: 4
    === Machine info ===
    OS version: Windows 8 6.2.9200
    OS prod type: 0
    OS major ver: 6
    OS minor ver: 2
    OS SP major ver: 0
    OS SP minor ver: 0
    OS is 64Bit: 1
    CPU: GenuineIntel
    Brand: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8300H CPU @ 2.30GHz
    Family: 6
    Model: 14
    Cores: 4
    HT: 1
    x64: 0
    Memory: 8034MB
    Free memory: 4130MB
    User: tblui
    Computer: LAPTOP-HLH64KQ1
    === Graphics device info ===
    Number: 0
    Name (driver): NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050
    Name (database): NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 [Found: 0, Matched: 0]
    Vendor: NVIDIA
    Chipset: Vendor: 10de, Device: 1c8d, Board: 12651025, Chipset: 00a1
    Driver: nvldumd.dll, Version: 24.21.13.9924, GUID: D7B71E3E-5FCD-11CF-5155-68321BC2D535
    Driver version: 9924
    Monitor: \\.\DISPLAY1
    Texture memory: 32MB <<OVERRIDE>>
    Vertex program: 3.0
    Pixel program: 3.0
    Hardware TnL: 1
    === Options ===
    AnimationSmoothing 0
    LightingQuality 2
    GeneralReflections 1
    TextureQuality 2
    VisualEffects 3
    TerrainQuality 1
    EdgeSmoothing 0
    ObjectHiding 1
    AspectRatio 0
    ForceSquarePixels 1
    SimQuality 3
    TreeQuality 2
    DrawDistance 3
    MaxActiveLots 1
    NumMaxActiveLotOptions 6
    AdvancedRendering 1
    AudioQuality 2
    AudioOutputMode 1
    VoiceLevel 255
    SoundFXLevel 255
    MusicLevel 255
    AmbientLevel 255
    FocusMute 1
    VoiceMute 0
    SoundFXMute 0
    MusicMute 0
    AmbientMute 0
    EdgeScrolling 1
    EdgeScrollingWarning 0
    SupressOpportunityDialogs 0
    SuppressOpportunityDialogsWarningProducts 164009
    SimWhileMinimized 0
    TwelveHourClock 1
    ShowPlacementGrid 0
    AutonomyLevel 0
    DisableAutonomyForSelectedSim 1
    PetAutonomyLevel 2
    AgingInterval 2
    EnableAging 1
    EnableTutorial 0
    EnableIntroTutorial 0
    EnableTombResets 1
    EnableInGameStore 0
    EnableTelemetry 0
    EnableMemories 3
    AgingStageLengthBaby 3
    AgingStageLengthToddler 10
    AgingStageLengthChild 13
    AgingStageLengthTeen 19
    AgingStageLengthYoungAdult 42
    AgingStageLengthAdult 40
    AgingStageLengthElder 20
    EnableInteractiveLoading 0
    AgingStageLengthPuppy 0
    AgingStageLengthDogAdult 0
    AgingStageLengthDogElder 0
    AgingStageLengthKitten 0
    AgingStageLengthCatAdult 0
    AgingStageLengthCatElder 0
    AgingStageLengthFoal 0
    AgingStageLengthHorseAdult 0
    AgingStageLengthHorseElder 0
    LunarCycleLength 3
    LunarPhaseLength 0
    EnableLunarCycle 1
    EnableLunarPhase 0
    EnableStoryProgression 1
    EnableVampires 1
    EnableWerewolves 1
    EnablePets 1
    EnableCelebrities 1
    EnableFairies 1
    EnableWitches 1
    EnableHorses 1
    EnableOptOutCeleb 0
    ReceiveConnectTNS 1
    ReceivedDevGift 0
    PostFilterFlags 0
    RequireLoginBeforeLoad 1
    SummerLength 7
    FallLength 7
    WinterLength 7
    SpringLength 7
    SummerEnabled 1
    FallEnabled 1
    WinterEnabled 1
    SpringEnabled 1
    IsCelcius 0
    FogEnabled 1
    RainEnabled 1
    SnowEnabled 1
    HailEnabled 1
    InvertHorizontalRotation 0
    InvertVerticalRotation 0
    VideoCaptureSize 1
    VideoCaptureQuality 2
    VideoCaptureSound 0
    VideoCaptureTime 60
    VideoCaptureHideUI 1
    === Default Options ===
    AnimationSmoothing 0
    LightingQuality 1
    GeneralReflections 1
    TextureQuality 1
    VisualEffects 3
    TerrainQuality 1
    EdgeSmoothing 0
    ObjectHiding 1
    AspectRatio 0
    ForceSquarePixels 1
    SimQuality 1
    TreeQuality 2
    DrawDistance 3
    MaxActiveLots 1
    NumMaxActiveLotOptions 6
    AdvancedRendering 1
    AudioQuality 2
    AudioOutputMode 1
    VoiceLevel 255
    SoundFXLevel 255
    MusicLevel 255
    AmbientLevel 255
    FocusMute 1
    VoiceMute 0
    SoundFXMute 0
    MusicMute 0
    AmbientMute 0
    EdgeScrolling 0
    EdgeScrollingWarning 1
    SupressOpportunityDialogs 0
    SuppressOpportunityDialogsWarningProducts 0
    SimWhileMinimized 0
    TwelveHourClock 1
    ShowPlacementGrid 0
    AutonomyLevel 2
    DisableAutonomyForSelectedSim 0
    PetAutonomyLevel 2
    AgingInterval 2
    EnableAging 1
    EnableTutorial 1
    EnableIntroTutorial 1
    EnableTombResets 1
    EnableInGameStore 1
    EnableTelemetry 1
    EnableMemories 1
    AgingStageLengthBaby 3
    AgingStageLengthToddler 7
    AgingStageLengthChild 7
    AgingStageLengthTeen 14
    AgingStageLengthYoungAdult 21
    AgingStageLengthAdult 21
    AgingStageLengthElder 17
    EnableInteractiveLoading 1
    AgingStageLengthPuppy 0
    AgingStageLengthDogAdult 0
    AgingStageLengthDogElder 0
    AgingStageLengthKitten 0
    AgingStageLengthCatAdult 0
    AgingStageLengthCatElder 0
    AgingStageLengthFoal 0
    AgingStageLengthHorseAdult 0
    AgingStageLengthHorseElder 0
    LunarCycleLength 3
    LunarPhaseLength 0
    EnableLunarCycle 1
    EnableLunarPhase 0
    EnableStoryProgression 1
    EnableVampires 1
    EnableWerewolves 1
    EnablePets 1
    EnableCelebrities 1
    EnableFairies 1
    EnableWitches 1
    EnableHorses 1
    EnableOptOutCeleb 0
    ReceiveConnectTNS 1
    ReceivedDevGift 0
    PostFilterFlags 0
    RequireLoginBeforeLoad 0
    SummerLength 7
    FallLength 7
    WinterLength 7
    SpringLength 7
    SummerEnabled 1
    FallEnabled 1
    WinterEnabled 1
    SpringEnabled 1
    IsCelcius 0
    FogEnabled 1
    RainEnabled 1
    SnowEnabled 1
    HailEnabled 1
    InvertHorizontalRotation 0
    InvertVerticalRotation 0
    VideoCaptureSize 1
    VideoCaptureQuality 2
    VideoCaptureSound 0
    VideoCaptureTime 60
    VideoCaptureHideUI 1
  • Options
    @tblu2326 You're right, the fps issue may well be the source of your crashes. Even if it's not the immediate cause, you really do need to get it under control before doing anything else. A GTX 1050 is strong enough to burn itself out with all that extra work if fps isn't capped. (It's also strong enough to run the entire game on high graphics settings, once you take deal with the crashing.)

The first tool to try, if you haven't already, is the built-in Nvidia Control Panel. But CP doesn't always work, and never works in windowed mode. The next step would be downloading and installing Nvidia Inspector (free). Here are some very helpful screenshots of the settings for each tool, under the spoilers:

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/16540301/#Comment_16540301

Please also remember that if you have an Origin/1.69 install, you'll need to use TS3.exe in the profile, but for 1.67 installs (Steam or disc), you'll want TS3w.exe, with the "w."

By the way, you're getting the 32 MB texture memory override as well. This is easily fixable with edits to the game's .sgr files, either on its own (I can help with that) or along with forcing the game to formally recognize your card (you'll want igazor's expertise).

If you get your fps locked in and you're still seeing crashes, please post back listing your packs and the world in which you're currently playing.
  • Options
    @puzzlezaddict Thank you, I will try it and report back if it worked or not. :)
  • Options
    @puzzlezaddict I did notice that the texture got really sucky when I tried to fix the problem before, but I had no idea how to change it back to the way it was. I would like to know how to fix the textures. I think I already have my graphics cards recognized though I did reinstall, so maybe that reset it??
  • Options
    @tblu2326 An uninstall and reinstall would replace the game's .sgr files, so you'd need to do the edits again. About thirty lines down in your deviceconfig, you'll see the [Found: 0, Matched: 0] entry, which means your card isn't recognized by the game. A bit below that is the texture memory, which is listed at 32 MB, a fraction of your card's VRAM.

The texture memory override fix is easy enough, but if you want your card recognized too, it would be better to ask someone who isn't me. (I actually didn't edit my files on my own; another player was kind enough to help.) And of course, before doing anything, copy your .sgr files somewhere safe, so you can put them back if the edits don't work.

For the texture memory, navigate to Program Files (x86)\ ... \Game\Bin (where the TS3 and TS3w.exe are); the exact path will depend on your type of install. Open graphicsrules.sgr and find this entry, 8-10 lines down:

if ($textureMemory == 0)
    seti textureMemory 32
    setb textureMemorySizeOK false

Change it so that it reads:

if ($textureMemory == 0)
    seti textureMemory 1024
    # setb textureMemorySizeOK false

The number you use for texture memory is supposed to correspond to your VRAM, but since TS3 can't use any more than 800 MB, any number higher than that will do.
  • Options
    daxsterdaxster Posts: 3 New Member
    I'm having something weird happen when it came to my Sims' careers. So, I had created my own world and I put in an already-existing family I made into the world and then gave my sim their own house. Over time, the world populated and I copied my save file to check on everyone. When I went to the household I already put in the game beforehand, I found that one of the Sim's boss was... themselves? That Sim was in the Political career track at level 1 and his boss was basically himself except it said that he was a City Council member instead, and then I checked on his coworkers and their boss was also a higher ranking duplicate of himself. Any idea how this happened? Thanks.
  • Options
    > @daxster said:
    > I'm having something weird happen when it came to my Sims' careers. So, I had created my own world and I put in an already-existing family I made into the world and then gave my sim their own house. Over time, the world populated and I copied my save file to check on everyone. When I went to the household I already put in the game beforehand, I found that one of the Sim's boss was... themselves? That Sim was in the Political career track at level 1 and his boss was basically himself except it said that he was a City Council member instead, and then I checked on his coworkers and their boss was also a higher ranking duplicate of himself. Any idea how this happened? Thanks.

I meant to say that the coworkers' boss was the Sim I mentioned having the boss be himself. Since I can't edit to posts I'm doing this and hoping it doesn't count as spam.
  • Options
    @daxster This does seem to happen sometimes—the game manages to clone an already existing sim in town. (I once had two clones created within eight in-game days of the original's arrival. One was a homeless coworker; the other was unemployed and living in a formerly empty house.) Your game probably just reached into your library and grabbed a sim from a household you'd saved there before placing in town.

If you use NRaas mods, specifically MasterController, you can use Total Annihilation to remove the impostor from your game, wherever he may be hiding. Click on City Hall, NRaas > MC > Sim > Advanced > Total Annihilation > (X) to dismiss the filter, and find the duplicate on the list of sims. You can probably tell him apart from the "real" sim by their ages as listed by MC—the clone will be younger, as he would have had the same age when inserted into the game as your original did when you created him.

If you're not using mods, you'll need to find where the clone is living (if he's a resident and not homeless) and evict him. If you don't place him anywhere else before leaving Edit Town, he should disappear from your game sooner or later. If he's living with other sims you want to keep, you can split the household and keep the others.

The best way to prevent this cloning is to move the files out of your game folder when you're not using them. (The files for households coming out of CAS land in Library in your game folder, along with any lots you save to the bin.) They'll all have random strings of characters as names, but you can rename them (except for the .package extension) to whatever you like. You can also tell them apart by their creation dates. When you want to reuse a household, you can put its file back in Library.

P.S. Don't worry about the double post. Since new members can't edit their own posts yet, no one really minds if you have to tack on an addendum. Besides, more information is always appreciated.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    This may be off-topic for @daxster as we don't yet know if they are using mods, but even with all the mod protection in the world strange things can happen. I once watched actual doppelgangers on-screen, not merely clones, get formed out of two of my sims when I used NRaas Traveler and MasterController to move them from one connected world to another. That's fine, this does happen, but Overwatch is supposed to detect that and fix it on the next startup. Unfortunately it chose to "fix" and remove the wrong sim duplicate in one case and I was left with a couple who was supposed to be happily married, eternally faithful, and had raised a dozen kids together, but who were total strangers. They seemed to like each other though, but as if they had just met for the first time, so that was at least somewhat comforting.

Fortunately that was a test session set up to address something else entirely. Had it been my "real" game, I never would have played through that save although it might have been tempting to pretend they had suffered from travel-induced amnesia. We must always expect the unexpected in this game and react as we feel is required. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    @puzzlezaddict Yes, I am using mods but I don't want to just get rid of the copy as they're not in my main household, so I'm not really bothered by it much, just thought it was a bit off. I'm guessing it was because he already had the career prior to me putting him in the new town I made and the game didn't generate any NPCs atm so they just made the boss whoever else was in the political career. Eventually, a clone of that Sim's household was merged with one of the sims in the Science career who didn't have a home that moved in. I already split that household and leaving with just the science Sim in there. Thanks!
  • Options
    I now have another problem.

I fixed the fps on my game so now it doesn't go over 60, and it was working perfectly the other day. I just tried to start it up, and now it IMMEDIATELY says Simis 3 (None responsive). I just updated the graphics, and I did delete a few houses that I downloaded. They had stuff from expansions that I didn't own, and I did have a few in-game, but it was still showing the yellow rectangle with the ! in the middle so I deleted them.

Any idea what went wrong????
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top