Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How about a little positive reinforcement

Every time I read through the forums I always see the same thing over and over and over. Whine, whine, whine. I agree that TS4 isn't everything it could be, but neither were the older versions. So I'm gonna challenge your brains. If you actually play TS4, then let's hear two things you really love about the game. What are the things you believe the developers have done right.

Comments

• Options
    ledfut360ledfut360 Posts: 83 Member
    I realise I should probably put my mouth where my money is on this.

Right: the anims. Love some of the ones this time around. This is especially true of the cooking ones. I still smile when a sim burns their meal and throws the skillet back onto the stove in frustration.

Right: Dine Out's menu system. Great customization opportunities. Have yet to have a sim get the wrong meal.

I could go on, but I said two and I'll hold it at that
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    Two? :o
    I'll give you two and three more. >:)

CAS/Sims.
    (Mine are CC'd, but I see them as a foundation to build on.)
    07-02-16_10-10-21nbspPM%20-%20Copy.png

07-02-16_11-01-25nbspPM.png

Lighting
    06-03-16_1-13-57nbspAM.png

Townies
    (There are some cute ones walking around town. She was a mixologist working in a bar.)
    07-02-16_10-48-16nbspPM%20-%20Copy.png

Hats on any hairstyle.
    12-02-15_12-20-32nbspPM.png

Cat Sims.
    It's so funny when they slip into cat behavior and those meows are so cute!
    07-02-16_6-21-16nbspPM.png

Oh! :o
    They haven't released those yet. Oops...
    Sorry EA, The cat's... out of the bag. o:)
    (joking)
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    Prink34320Prink34320 Posts: 5,078 Member
    In terms of what they've done right, in my opinion, the thing they've done that matters the most for me, is that they've created a game that makes me genuinely happy. That's all I could want from a game.
    Live your life to the fullest, don't wait for a miracle to happen, be the miracle to make things happen.
    Sometimes your creativity is limited where you use it most, but you can use those limitations to inspire new forms of creativity you may never have thought of beforehand.
  • Options
    NZsimm3rNZsimm3r Posts: 9,265 Member
    There was a thread that was a really cool list of all the little (and not so little things) we loved, don't know where that thread went though.

Anyway. I love my male sims! I adore them. :love: I love the sound effects particularly the morning chorus when the sun first comes up in the neighborhood where the Pancakes live in a new game, I love the new CAS and the new building tools. I love love LOVE the jealousy trait. I love Windenburg and Oasis Springs worlds. I also love the dance machine trait and the dance skill cos of the cute moves.I love male pregnancies, I love the aliens (although sad my sims don't get abducted anymore), I love taking my sims camping, I love the active science career... I'll stop raving now.
    I'm a girl who likes to play with boys, what can I say... o:)

“Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.”Will Wright.
  • Options
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    Good intentions with your thread, but your original post is horribly ignorant.

Ignorant meaning lacking in knowledge and education, or the more common use of being rude and uncouth? Because I hope its the latter. As I was reading through a bunch of posts last night, I got to thinking what I would think if it were me behind the scenes trying to put out a game like this. Negative feedback is essential, I know, but the veritable onslaught of negativity would make me walk away from the effort. I'd throw my hands up and decide there is no way to please these people. It's quite rude of us as simmers to not acknowledge what we enjoy as well as what we dislike.
  • Options
    NZsimm3rNZsimm3r Posts: 9,265 Member
    ledfut360 wrote: »

Ignorant meaning lacking in knowledge and education, or the more common use of being rude and uncouth? Because I hope its the latter. As I was reading through a bunch of posts last night, I got to thinking what I would think if it were me behind the scenes trying to put out a game like this. Negative feedback is essential, I know, but the veritable onslaught of negativity would make me walk away from the effort. I'd throw my hands up and decide there is no way to please these people. It's quite rude of us as simmers to not acknowledge what we enjoy as well as what we dislike.

I think it was the use of the word 'whine' that might have prompted that post. Anyway, just because I absolutely love elements of TS4 it isn't enough for me personally to make up for the lack of indepth game play. :) But it's still nice to make a more positive thread where others can read about what players like/love etc.
    I'm a girl who likes to play with boys, what can I say... o:)

“Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.”Will Wright.
  • Options
    I'll be the first to acknowledge it is lacking in "some" areas. But if there ever is a TS5, I hope we can highlight what works from here as well as what doesn't :#
  • Options
    GruffmanGruffman Posts: 4,831 Member
    Two things I like about the Sims4.

The child life stage.
    I like the look of the children, their aspirations and their skills. I like how the lifestage is unique to them. The child lifestage is my favorite one to play.

The lump of clay.
    Best object ever.
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    I love building houses in the game and am looking forward to more options coming in the later expansions and I love the expressions on the Sims' faces - greatly improved with Dine Out.

I don't know why it is but I get irritated when trying to play Sims 3 now even though my laptop can play it easily. It seems clumsy.
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    NZsimm3r wrote: »
    There was a thread that was a really cool list of all the little (and not so little things) we loved, don't know where that thread went though.

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/891777/little-things-you-love
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/887538/little-details/p1
    an older one: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/836523/the-little-things/p1
    cluttery details: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/892678/little-details/p1

Just two?
    I love the range of emotional facial expression and the spontaneous affection between Sims in families
    I love the rich, detailed soundscape
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,883 Member
    For me it would have to be the way the sims actually look and the artistic style of the game. I love the bright vivid colors, the style of furniture and objects, and the fact that I don't need any cc to make my sims more appealing. All of this just makes the gameplay even more enjoyable. For me. :)
  • Options
    Noree_DoreeNoree_Doree Posts: 1,470 Member
    I love the CAS! You can do so much with it and you dont have to wait for the clothing to load like Ts3. I also like the multitasking (to an extent of course but lets keep it positive). I love how realistic it can be sometimes. Like who doesnt use their phone while on the toilet lol. I'll add two more for the icing on the cake. I love how you have the choice to breastfeed your newborn and take a pregnancy test.
    "Bada su the gorn bada su the brawn bada bady oda aba donk donk donk gerbits gerbits vo gerbits".
  • Options
    uo_aaronjduo_aaronjd Posts: 425 Member
    two things...hmmmm
    Much prefer the graphics in Sims 4 to Sims 3
    and the fact i dont need to mod it to buggery to play Sims 4 like i did just to get Sims 3 to work...and then it still was laggy (nrass Overwatch mod best thing since sliced bread)
    Yes Sims 4 is far from perfect *coughsTODDLERScoughhackwheeze* and im also frustrated with a few things *coughsTODDLERScoughhackwheeze* and loseing hope but maybe...just maybe
    Really looking forward to seeing how Seasons will look in Sims 4 i think it will be amazing!
    and pets....
    and *coughsTODDLERScoughhackwheeze*
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup
  • Options
    JagwithtudeJagwithtude Posts: 1,452 Member
    Nice thread.... I also love CAS and the things you can do in it, I also like the scenery, I love watching the sunset in Windenburg....
    "If you could read my mind, I'm pretty sure you'd be traumatized for life"

Join us on Discord for help with MC Command Center @ Discord https://discord.gg/TKp3GqE
    The latest version of MCCC 3.9.6 go to https://www.patreon.com/posts/mc-command-3-9-6-15332977

Rrkznuy.jpg?4

• Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    Well I only played the free trial but I liked CAS and the option to save or even move rooms :smile:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    SimsLovinLycanSimsLovinLycan Posts: 1,910 Member
    But there are so many things I love about this game (even with the weird flaws it has)! How do I pick just two...?

Alright, alright. I'll do it from the base game, then the two packs that I've gotten so far:

Base Game:

1. CAS, definitely. I love how much more customizable our sims' bodies and faces are, as well as the fact that there are so many different shades of brown...and blue and green skin too! XD

2. Explorable neighborhoods. I mean, sure, it's not "everything open all the time without a loading screen" like TS3, but I'm coming right off of TS2 here, and being able to actually walk around the neighborhood instead of being restricted to your house and one sad strip of sidewalk in front of it is a freaking huge improvement!

Outdoor Retreat:

1. Going camping. I've never been camping ever in my entire life, so having the ability to do that with my sims is pretty cool. Sleeping in tents, looking up at the stars, roasting marshmallows over a campfire, ghost stories...It's all the good stuff without the actual real-life risks.

2. Fire Pits and tents. O.K., that's technically two things. But, together they give you the ability to really start from nothing with your sims. Forget a one bedroom starter house, start with a tent, an outhouse, an outdoor shower stall, a cooler, a fire pit, and a rock to sit on. That's fun as heck!

Get to Work:

1. The Scientist career. With the sim ray, cloning machine, building awesome inventions all the time...It's just plain delicious. >:)

2. Aliens. They are so much fun to play as, especially in the Detective career. Need to I.D. a suspect but "Get to Know" didn't roll the right trait and you haven't bought the "Observant" reward trait just yet? Just analyze their personality with your psychic mojo and, bam! Not to mention scaring suspects with the probe before you search them just plain appeals to my sick, twisted sense of humor...Man, I love Get to Work!
    There is a song I hear, a melody from the past...
    5MNZlGQ.gif
    When I woke for the first time, when I slept for the last.
  • Options
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Do you know what actually gives positive reinforcement to game companies. Buying their product. Or not. And as far as your statement: 'Every time I read through the forums I always see the same thing over and over and over. Whine, whine, whine....'

Wonder why that is? Where there is smoke there is fire. Better to go see what that is about than just say oh, it's someone blowing smoke. Here's a thought. Money talks and that other stuff walks.

Where there are horses, there are flies and usually lots of... hay. Maybe you'll get your wish and there will be no fifth installment. Then we can all convince Rockstar to give us a proper version. Toddlers? Who cares. We have AK47s.

My money, limited as it may be, has spoken since TS4 release. As I said earlier in the thread, I know there are issues. But there is also a lot of good in there and I will continue to enjoy it. No game will ever be everything to all people, but in the end, it will still be just a game.
  • Options
    TwiprinTwiprin Posts: 144 Member
    edited July 2016
    As much as I agree things can get overboard...you might want to head into the General section and look at the gigantic baby neglect thread. Or even the neglect of family play players thread in this section. Those are examples where people are pretty justified in how they're taking updates to the game. And even if I don't always agree with those not fond of TS4, they do often bring up good points of criticism. While I doubt you meant it to be that way, your OP does come off as kind of rude. "Challenge your brains, if you actually play TS4". You're making the assumption a lot of the people complaining never gave the game a chance, and that people who don't like TS4 are taking the easy way out thought wise. Which really isn't different from the minority of people from the not-liking-TS4-camp stating that those who like TS4 are wrong or don't get what they're missing. Fighting fire with fire isn't the smartest idea.

You may not have meant it to read that way, but it can. And I apologize if it looks like I'm putting words in your mouth as that wasn't the intention.

Anyway, on topic: in truth TS4 is currently my favorite iteration of the Sims right now. I've already enjoyed my time with it more than I did TS2 and TS3. What I personally like about this iteration (I know many won't agree with me, this is just why I personally enjoy the game):
    • The graphics style: You either love it or hate it. I personally love the style this time around. TS3 had this odd middle of cartoony and realism that just didn't work for me. And I find that the more stylistic graphics age better with time (I can still go back and play Kingdom Hearts or Jack and Daxter because their graphics just aged better). Plus the colors and world just feel brighter and more expressive. TS3 was very muted to me, personally.
    • CAS: A problem I had before was that my Sims never really looked that different. Everyone had similar facial structures, and in TS3 in particular, it didn't matter what weight your character was, they seemed to have roughly the same dimensions throughout. Meaning you needed to install custom sliders and maybe Nraas to actually get different-looking Sims. But in TS4, don't have to do anything extra. The results you can get with CAS this time around have some intensely nice variety. Still a few hangups (I want color wheel back, darn it! Or all color swatches be available for all hair/all items/all ages), but in terms of the actual shaping of Sims' bodies it's by far the best CAS of the series.
    • The interconnection of neighborhoods: Not distinct to TS4, but I do love that I can go to any of the "worlds" at will and that NPC sims can do the same, including moving of households. I will say it feels less like new worlds and more like each save file is one giant "city" and each "world" is really a neighborhood or suburb of that city. That part I'm not entirely sure how to feel, but the traveling freedom I do like.
    • Build Mode: Yup, I just like this better. Not much more to say on that one.
    • The Emotion system: I do honestly like the emotions system. It just needs tweaks. If we could bring back Hopes and Fears from TS2 and have Traits be the dominant factor in deciding a Sim's emotions instead of objects in the world (creative sims are inspired by pretty scenery, childish sims feel playful around toys, Sims that hate children are actually grumpy around toys, etc.), then I think we would have a super solid and intricate system that would give our sims a lot of life.
    • Multitasking: I know people are tired of hearing it, and like the emotions system it needs a lot of tweaking. But it's so nice that if I have a roommate reading on the bed and her roommate is at the end of the bed painting, they can still talk to each other. While listening to music. It's a small detail that does add a lot more depth. Now TS3 had this in some occurrences (like watching TV, playing games together), but it didn't extend to all interactions. Now I would like to have the auto-urge to multitask curbed down a little bit. Rather than the default be "multi-task whenever possible" and fight to cancel actions in queue, I would instead like doing one thing at a time be the default for a Sim. That way if I want them to multi-task, I just have to add feasible multi-tasking actions to the queue and they'll pick them up.
  • Options
    Twiprin wrote: »
    As much as I agree things can get overboard...you might want to head into the General section and look at the gigantic baby neglect thread. Or even the neglect of family play players thread in this section. Those are examples where people are pretty justified in how they're taking updates to the game. And even if I don't always agree with those not fond of TS4, they do often bring up good points of criticism. While I doubt you meant it to be that way, your OP does come off as kind of rude. "Challenge your brains, if you actually play TS4". You're making the assumption a lot of the people complaining never gave the game a chance, and that people who don't like TS4 are taking the easy way out thought wise. Which really isn't different from the minority of people from the not-liking-TS4-camp stating that those who like TS4 are wrong or don't get what they're missing. Fighting fire with fire isn't the smartest idea.[/list]

I have been in those threads and ones like them. That's why i started this thread. If I came off as rude, it's simply because I get so tired of it all. But this is one canuck who won't be singing about being sorry. Negative views shine a light on what's wrong. No one can deny that and I make no effort to. My issue is that posts flogging the same issues far outweigh those that seek the positive. But maybe I should just forget it because that's the way the world is, now. (**slaps own hand for even thinking of politics**) One could find other posts on here where I, myself, have pointed out things that just don't sit right. Shoot me if I also think some of the game works and works well.

As for your highpoints for the game, I pretty much agree with all of them -- except multitasking. I really would like to be able to fish and talk to people at the same time :D Oh no! I'm infected! (**ends post before it spreads**)
  • Options
    TwiprinTwiprin Posts: 144 Member
    I have been in those threads and ones like them. That's why i started this thread. If I came off as rude, it's simply because I get so tired of it all. But this is one canuck who won't be singing about being sorry. Negative views shine a light on what's wrong. No one can deny that and I make no effort to. My issue is that posts flogging the same issues far outweigh those that seek the positive. But maybe I should just forget it because that's the way the world is, now. (**slaps own hand for even thinking of politics**) One could find other posts on here where I, myself, have pointed out things that just don't sit right. Shoot me if I also think some of the game works and works well.

As for your highpoints for the game, I pretty much agree with all of them -- except multitasking. I really would like to be able to fish and talk to people at the same time :D Oh no! I'm infected! (**ends post before it spreads**)
    I never said you had to be sorry, I apologize if it came off that way. I do agree that there's a lot of threads that really could (and should) be merged into one thread for discussion rather than flooding the first few pages with duplicate topics. But sadly we can't control that XD

And hahahaha! XD Yes the multitasking is definitely a hit or miss. That's why I wish the default would be they just focus on one thing at a time unless they're told otherwise. Like if I want my detective to brood at a bar with his gin and tonic I don't want him to just cheerily join in a conversation with everyone else at the bar. I want him to brood in his corner in silence as he awaits his target! But it's nice that it's there.
  • Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member

If you were reading last night then you picked a bad weekend to do so. There is yet another new bug from the last patch(es) that are infesting games and ruining the games of many.

I've posted many times about the things I think they've done right this time around but at this point in time it's terribly unbalanced by what is going wrong.

Call me a whiner if you want. I have a thick skin. I prefer to think of myself as someone who's tired of 'fix one thing, break a couple of others'.
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    Anemone7Anemone7 Posts: 3,950 Member
    I love the adorable children and I love the fact that townies actually look decent sometimes (good for prettacies).

Now I'll go and "whine" about the missing family gameplay in my favorite thread. FYI, I would change the OP, if you really want this to be a positive thread.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited July 2016
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Do you know what actually gives positive reinforcement to game companies. Buying their product. Or not. And as far as your statement: 'Every time I read through the forums I always see the same thing over and over and over. Whine, whine, whine....'

Wonder why that is? Where there is smoke there is fire. Better to go see what that is about than just say oh, it's someone blowing smoke. Here's a thought. Money talks and that other stuff walks.

Where there are horses, there are flies and usually lots of... hay. Maybe you'll get your wish and there will be no fifth installment. Then we can all convince Rockstar to give us a proper version. Toddlers? Who cares. We have AK47s.

My money, limited as it may be, has spoken since TS4 release. As I said earlier in the thread, I know there are issues. But there is also a lot of good in there and I will continue to enjoy it. No game will ever be everything to all people, but in the end, it will still be just a game.

I think you ignore the obvious there are reasons this game wasn't well received and there are still newer reasons why it's not so well loved, but those who know they can do better. All you have to do is read the bug threads, look over on EA's answer site and see those officially reported not just mentioned here, to see there are wagons full of them. And read the feedback. You call it whining which by your own heart that is what you think it is. Whining is when nothing is wrong and being a pain. Whining is the wrong word. Dissatisfaction no matter how shiny the box is still reeks, even past day one. Not only because people have tried to like the game and sure it has new animations we begged for ten years ago. However, if someone was thinking of giving up on the game they have plenty of reasons. Unless they want to install fifteen mods. The very same thing they point to about TS3. It's ironic actually.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top