Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sometimes I Can't Stand This Game

Comments

• Options
    KandyKandy Posts: 2,008 Member
    I hope it's okay if I reply to you all in one big post. Thank you so much for the stories, help, etc. You're all incredible!
    Goulsquash wrote: »
    Ah, that always plum too. Then you have expectations for how their game will go, and things rarely go the same way twice. Hopefully you can get back into the swing of things without too much anger soon! :)

thanks! I started a new family in Lucky Palms, so hopefully they go better.
    TadOlson wrote: »
    I felt that way once when the social worker took my family's baby away and the save got so badly corrupted I had to delete it because it wouldn't even load.I ended up having to start Modding my game out after that and other saves lost to corruption or glitches like EA's bugfest.

oh my god that's awful. yeah I just recently started modding my game-it's helped a /lot/
    Paullette wrote: »
    Oh my god, there are so many times where I will be playing and I will get so far and so much done in that one sitting...and forget to save. Sure enough, the game will crash and I'll lose everything I had done. When that happens I get so mad that I scratch the family or don't play for a while, ugh!

that happens ALL THE TIME. it's so awful. back when I first got TS3, I couldn't keep a household past about a week, because I would play for hours, then the game would crash w/out me saving, and I'd get so frustrated, I'd quit for a bout a week, then make another family... then, well, rinse and repeat until I quit TS3 for about six months. Now I save about every five minutes :sweat_smile:
    LaBlue0314 wrote: »
    I had it happen to me once. In my case it was when they gave us a patch. They had patched something in about the zombies, and told us to save our familes to the bin, and then start them in a fresh new game save. The mom in the family would not save at all. I could save the rest of her family, just not her. This couple/family was very special to me, and I don't get attached to very many families. I ended up saving the children, the eldest was just turned into a young adult. I didn't have the heart to save the husband without his wife, because they were that attached to each other, it would have felt more like a death if anything else. I ended up moving the daughter and son into another town, pretending that it was just the kids moving away. :'(

:cry: that's so awful. yeah it takes a lot for me to get attached to a family, so I know how you feel. I hope you got a lot of fun out of playing the kids, at least. But losing their parents must've been devastating...
    This won't fix your problems now but I recommend using "Save as" every time you save and keep backups.

thank you! I'm going to do that from now on so I (hopefully) won't run into problems like this again.
    Fields007 wrote: »
    I normally make 2 saves, and I never ever leave by save and quit, sometimes though the 2nd save hasnt always saved me though unfortunatly but if you are doing a massive game like you said it might be worth making a weekly save of that family, that way hopefully you can go back a week, sure I can imagine it would be depressing having to maybe go back several weeks, but at least you might be able to recover something rather than losing the whole family/game

yeah, definitely. I don't think I ever really used the Save As button, but now I'll be using that a lot. Hopefully, if this ever happens again, I'll have a backup!! thank you for the advice
    Simanite wrote: »
    This games issues really do frustrate me and sometimes make me wonder why do I bother? But in the end it always makes me come back. Sending you some :heart:

haha yeah. I actually gave up TS3 for almost half a year because of bugs, but when I came back to it I honestly couldn't understand how I'd abandoned it for so long. Now I play it religiously :lol: and thank you so much :heart:
    BlackSand wrote: »
    This won't fix your problems now but I recommend using "Save as" every time you save and keep backups.

Great advice @Simasaurus09 ... :)

I do the same thing ... and when I make any significant changes in the household I start another series of "Save As" files.
    I randomly go back and delete older save as files if I know the game has not been corrupted.

I also take the opportunity to occasionally go into "Edit Town" and then "evict" and save a household I like to the Library.
    It won't save all the stuff in the world ... But it will save the household should something become corrupted.

thank you for the advice! I'll definitely do that with my new family

meeoun wrote: »
    Corrupted how?

Basically, none of the relationships would save (and I got that weird red-box thing), and whenever I tried to switch between sims, they'd all get selected. This has happened before, but all the things I used to do to fix it wouldn't work, so I had to get rid of the household :disappointed:
    ChelleJo wrote: »
    I understand your frustration. With Sims 3, I always use Save As and rotate between, at least, 4 save names when everything is just normal gameplay. Then when something significant happens, I change to a new name and rotate between 4 new save names. And when I know I'm good and not having issues with the game, and I finally delete some of my saves, I keep at least 4. An older save, and the three newest saves....
    (I'm gonna ellipses this because it's a bit long!)

I'll definitely try out the rotating saves, thank you! And oh man... I feel the same way about TS4. When you put so much time+money+ effort into something and for it to not be so underwhelming.... it's honestly terrible. I'm so sorry you had to experience that :disappointed:
    igazor wrote: »
    Those of us who have played this game for a long time, with or without mods, have probably all encountered some form of sim or game corruption along the way at some point. Or had a game session that just didn't "go right." I can't imagine not using Save AS and thus keeping at least 4 recent saves with slightly different names of each ongoing game so that one can revert if something goes wrong along the way. Relying on the one backup save the game should make automatically when not changing the save name is never a safe way to proceed...
    ellipse-ing it again!

haha yeah. I'm part of the auto-save generation (if that's a thing-I might've just made up a term there), so making backups never really occurred to me until something went wrong. Now I'm definitely going to be making multiple backups. I definitely learned my lesson.
    McTosh wrote: »
    OMG this would kill me if it happened!

But as others said I save the game every 30 minutes using NRAAS saver and use different numbers and stuff and back them up just incase!!

I've had the same family for like 2 and a half years now (well the great,great,great,great,great,great+ grandchildren of the same family anyway ;D) and I would literally go out on a spree killing if anything happened to them :open_mouth:

haha yeah. Based on a bunch of suggestions, I think I'm gonna download that mod and start saving more often :wink: and wow, that sim family is impressive! I only aspire to have a sims lineage that continues for that long.
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    LaBlue0314 wrote: »
    I had it happen to me once. In my case it was when they gave us a patch. They had patched something in about the zombies, and told us to save our familes to the bin, and then start them in a fresh new game save. The mom in the family would not save at all. I could save the rest of her family, just not her. This couple/family was very special to me, and I don't get attached to very many families. I ended up saving the children, the eldest was just turned into a young adult. I didn't have the heart to save the husband without his wife, because they were that attached to each other, it would have felt more like a death if anything else. I ended up moving the daughter and son into another town, pretending that it was just the kids moving away. :'(
    I had exactly this happening once, and very lucky for me two saves prior to my last one, he did save properly. I have no idea what had happened to him but going back to that previous save saved things for me. Like I said that was luck though, it's a bug you don't notice when you just play them, just when you try to save them to the bin. My sim was a witch by the way, curious if yours was too? (because you mention zombies, which indicates Supernatural)

Can't you save the sim to CAS, OP? I realize she'll lose skills and everything, but when she's dear to you. And I think you can restore family ties with NRaas mods?

sadly no. In a kind of haste I deleted the sim because I was afraid she might do something to the whole game. Funny thing is, I actually couldn't care less about her. I play her as an awful sim who is awful to her children (of whom I adore). However, it was her kids that got corrupted. She was fine, which was incredibly annoying. I would've had her kids move out, but they were the problem sims, sadly :disappointed: I'm still disappointed, but this was kind of a lesson I needed to learn. From now on, I'm always going to save! And thank you for the advice-if this happens in the future, I'll be sure to do that
    It has become a habit for me to save every night. As soon as speed 3 hits, Pavlov starts working and makes me save automatically now ;) Only while building this tip doesn't work unfortunately :s There you really have to force yourself (every other finished room for instance) to save the game or the lot to the bin.

I don't build much, but when I do, I'm constantly saving. It takes me, like, three hours to build one room, so for all that time to go to waste... I'm pretty sure I would explode out of annoyance. But yeah, I think I'm going to have to make a habit out of saving, too. Hopefully this never happens again, though, so I won't have to put those saves to use!
    coco wrote: »
    A few years ago my computer's graphics card broke down (the screen went pink while I was playing WA...) so I needed to get a computer. You betcha I paid extra to save my hard drive. I could stand to lose documents or photos, but not my precious sims :lol:. The moral of the story is to backup in multiple places and save all the time in case something goes wrong. Try the Saver mod, it's a real (no pun intended) life saver :wink:.

I'm curious though, what became corrupted?

Haha yeah. My sims honestly mean the world to me. I was more devastated about losing them than 3,000 words of writing (which... take my word for it, it was awful). And basically, the relationships would turn red, and I couldn't select any characters. I tried literally everything I found online to fix it, and nothing worked (even things that had worked when this happened before). I kinda accepted that there was nothing I could do and gave up on the sim:
  • Options
    Rflong7 wrote: »
    Hi :)

Yes, TS2 taught me to back up my favorite neighborhoods and TS3 has kept me in the habit. I hear TS4 is the same... it's a game thing; if you love it back it up. :(

Haha yeah. I'm just going to have to get in the habit of saving, lol.
    R3B3CKVH wrote: »
    I always save my families and houses just in case. I'm not even sure how to do back up files, because I usually have 3-4 different games going, and my launcher only offers the main save.

Yeah, that sounds smart! And I typically only have one, so I think I'm going to do backup files.
    R3B3CKVH wrote: »
    I always save my families and houses just in case. I'm not even sure how to do back up files, because I usually have 3-4 different games going, and my launcher only offers the main save.

Always use Save AS, not regular Save and never Save & Quit. One strategy would be if the name of your ongoing game is MySunsetValley (not very imaginative, I know), change the name on the first Save AS to MySunsetValley1. The next time, MySunsetValley2, etc. When you get to 4 or 6 or however many different versions through time that you want to maintain, then start over with 1 to overwrite the oldest one.

The Saver mod prompts you to do this on a regular basis, as per its settings, and suggests the next number in line for you on the Save As.

Copying some of the save folders to be stored elsewhere, including on an external drive, is a very good idea too for other reasons. But if a game save is actually corrupt to the point where it cannot be loaded up, the exact copy of that save folder will probably be just as much so.

I'm curious, why do you never use Save and Quit? I've always just used that, or occasionally Save and then just regular 'ol quit (although, look at where that got me).
    I'm curious as well, what got corrupted?

And basically, the relationships would turn red, and I couldn't select any characters. I tried literally everything I found online to fix it, and nothing worked (even things that had worked when this happened before). I kinda accepted that there was nothing I could do and gave up on the sim. Also, the game with that family would /constantly/ crash (forgot to mention that). Although, now I'm kind of wondering if they weren't actually corrupted. I'm not sure I know the meaning of a corrupted save, as when I went to check in the Sims 3 folder, the family wasn't listed as corrupted. They were unplayable, but the game didn't actually think they were corrupted, so maybe they were not...? (I'm going to scream if they weren't corrupted and I could've done something :lol:)
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited June 2016
    A game save that is totally corrupt, to the extent that it has the ".bad" extension on it, usually means something went wrong during the Save process itself. A game can have corrupt sims (lots, objects, etc.) in it and still be playable up to a point. What you were describing was certainly a problem, whatever name we want to give it.

For more prevention than cure: http://nraas.wikispaces.com/Tips+For+Better+Game+Performance
    Kandy wrote: »

I'm curious, why do you never use Save and Quit? I've always just used that, or occasionally Save and then just regular 'ol quit (although, look at where that got me).

What Save & Quit is supposed to do is demote the current save by the same name to a backup file thus getting rid of any previous backup, save the game, then quit entirely. If something goes wrong with the first two parts, it doesn't stop and tell you something is wrong. It just moves onto the third thing it's supposed to do (the Quit part) with no way to stop it and you can be left with two unusable game saves, or none at all, without even knowing it until you try to load one up the next time.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited June 2016
    @Kandy Deleting a sim apparently never is a good idea. A corrupted sim though can spoil things as well like you say.
    It has happened to me, losing a lot of building progress and it's terrible. Building the second time (I always restart immediately) is easier though, because a lot of time when you build goes into trying out and considering. You can skip that process the second time, it goes a lot faster ;)
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    A game save that is totally corrupt, to the extent that it has the ".bad" extension on it, usually means something went wrong during the Save process itself. A game can have corrupt sims (lots, objects, etc.) in it and still be playable up to a point. What you were describing was certainly a problem, whatever name we want to give it.

For more prevention than cure: http://nraas.wikispaces.com/Tips+For+Better+Game+Performance
    Kandy wrote: »

What Save & Quit is supposed to do is demote the current save by the same name to a backup file thus getting rid of any previous backup, save the game, then quit entirely. If something goes wrong with the first two parts, it doesn't stop and tell you something is wrong. It just moves onto the third thing it's supposed to do (the Quit part) with no way to stop it and you can be left with two unusable game saves, or none at all, without even knowing it until you try to load one up the next time.

thank you for all the helpful advice! I'll be sure to check out that link today. And thank you for the info on Save and Quit. I'll definitely never use that feature again :lol:
    But again, thank you for everything. You've been such a great help!
  • Options
    @Kandy Deleting a sim apparently never is a good idea. A corrupted sim though can spoil things as well like you say.
    It has happened to me, losing a lot of building progress and it's terrible. Building the second time (I always restart immediately) is easier though, because a lot of time when you build goes into trying out and considering. You can skip that process the second time, it goes a lot faster ;)

Oh, yeah. I think deleting townies kinda messed up the game, also. I just deleted the entire save, which hopefully won't do anything to mess up my game!

And yeah, definitely. I've found that when I try and build something (or create a sim, etc) after the thing I previously built gets deleted somehow, the second try is always much better. Although deletion is awful, it isn't always completely awful.
  • Options
    KARDASH1988KARDASH1988 Posts: 136 Member
    cwaddell wrote: »
    I prefer to save as..after every play

Good advice, although I do something slightly different. I make a copy of my town/game when I start up the game. Then when I save off and on throughout that play session it is to the newly named save.

I agree :)
    oY6RhfG.jpg
  • Options
    LuckyKittenCatLuckyKittenCat Posts: 4,640 Member
    Not about corrupted sims, but still frustrating.
    I got isla paradiso, but I found out that I can't use the world! Whenever I use the world, my game repeatedly freezes from a few seconds to five minutes! Now, I can't use the world, no matter how low my settings are.
    What's the most sad, is I can't use mermaid diving mechanics.
    I am undead! :smiley:
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    I got isla paradiso, but I found out that I can't use the world! Whenever I use the world, my game repeatedly freezes from a few seconds to five minutes! Now, I can't use the world, no matter how low my settings are.
    There's only been about 10,000 posts about this since IP came out, but admittedly many of them are difficult to find now that the EP subsections of the forum are all blended together.

The IP expansion pack, for most players with suitable hardware to run it, is fine. The Isla Paradiso world that came with it is very pretty but so design flawed that it is virtually unplayable for everyone no matter what kind of computers we have. There are many options to make things better, but here are the top two:

1 - Player @ciane has an all fixed up ready to play Isla Paradiso saved game available for download, together with pages of documentation of what she did to make this work for those who would prefer to do it all themselves.
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/811253/removing-ip-lag/p1

Regardless, NRaas Overwatch, ErrorTrap, and Register (for those not averse to using mods) are practically essential to play this world although with the all fixed up one that does become a matter of opinion.

2 - Or, if you choose, regard the Isla Paradiso world as a "serving suggestion" meant to be admired and dissected to see what EA did right and not so right there, but not really played. IP content will work in other worlds and many have designed much better playing custom tropical worlds with all the features. But even in non-tropical climates, resorts will work anywhere, beaches are not uncommon, houseboats and other forms of boating can be used as long as the waterways are wide and deep enough. Deep sea diving lots are very tricky to place and do require a water depth that not all worlds will have. Hidden islands have to be accounted for during a world's design stage. But if you like the IP content, try some other worlds or maybe design your own if you can. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    nickibitswardnickibitsward Posts: 3,115 Member
    edited May 2017

I've never really had problems with IP but I read in a posting a while ago on here that some of the ports and houseboats that had sims living on them were the problem. Don't know if that's true or not but to be on the safe side I deleted all those houseboats and moved the few sims into houses inland. Sort of defeats the purpose of the IP a little but when I put my sim into one of the houses just so he could explore underwater and collect the various fish and items, the game worked fine.

• Options
    RodJohnRodJohn Posts: 406 Member
    Dude, tell me about it! This usually happens to me when I'm building a house. I have a thing for building large mansions for all my wealthy sims. I put a lot of details into them and everything. I was recently redecorating a humongous lot that I had downloaded from the exchange. I literally changed every single detail in that house. Afterwards, I was revamping the backyard to my liking and was using some cheats to put down mature plants in the garden. I was probably 4 hours deep. Hadn't saved at all. Of course it froze! I literally sat there silently, in shock for a half an hour before I could finally muster up the courage to close out the game--knowing that I would be losing all my work. I could have cried. I didn't play for three days. It's a pretty amazing game, but when it messes up, it REALLY messes up.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    I've never really had problems with IP but I read in a posting a while ago on here that some of the ports and houseboats that had sims living on them were the problem. Don't know if that's true or not but to be on the safe side I deleted all those houseboats and moved the few sims into houses inland.
    I did that too back when we were all coming up with various sets of solutions and sharing ideas long before ciane took charge of things. Was later told that getting rid of all of the houseboats was unnecessary. The key residential lots that are the most broken and cause the routing and the game to glitch up for most players are Ichtaca, Los Amigos, Medina, and Scott (houseboat). We're talking about a world with tears/rifts in the roads and road/sidewalk junctions, lots placed back to front or with the front entrance or that closest to a road in the wrong places, bathrooms arranged backwards, etc. and where animals, if allowed, keep getting stuck in ridiculous places and/or trying to take water taxis. The game engine goes nuts for many of us constantly trying to reroute the sims who live on such lots even if the player is (trying to be) totally engaged elsewhere.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    But... when you are building for 4 hours without ever saving..., you can't completely blame the game can you?
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    Teslachick2Teslachick2 Posts: 442 Member
    Four days ago, I loaded my ongoing legacy save only to discover all the harvestables (an entire 20x 30 lot) in my game had suddenly disappeared! It took me 5 generations of my sim family to finally get all perfect plants and special seeds, now everything was gone! Tried rolling back to an earlier save but same issue. I cried and my two year old daughter thought Mummy had hurt herself. Haven't touched the game since.
    I regret some of my life choices.
  • Options
    Four days ago, I loaded my ongoing legacy save only to discover all the harvestables (an entire 20x 30 lot) in my game had suddenly disappeared! It took me 5 generations of my sim family to finally get all perfect plants and special seeds, now everything was gone! Tried rolling back to an earlier save but same issue. I cried and my two year old daughter thought Mummy had hurt herself. Haven't touched the game since.
    That's awful (and I can totally understand your reaction...). Is it possible by any chance the harvestables were part of an EP that you accidently disabled....? Maybe you could check that.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    @JoAnne65 I didn't disable any Eps or uninstall anything before this happened. Only thing I did prior to the disaster was install nrass GOHere and PortraitPanel mods, then as instructed, I deleted the script package in the sims 3 folder. But I used a test save to try out the mods, not the legacy one.
  • Options
    @Teslachick2 - NRaas Overwatch is supposed to prevent that kind of thing from happening; do (did) you have that in place? And maybe ErrorTrap, which might have produced a script log at the time that we could have helped interpret at NRaas to find out what went wrong?

Did you not have a backup or older save from before this happened in that ongoing game that perhaps would have loaded properly?
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    TinySpaceFoxTinySpaceFox Posts: 1,110 Member
    Man, I totally understand the frustration. Thank goodness for NRaas saver. I just need to remind myself to clean things up every time I play so I don't get mixed up.
  • Options
    @igazor I have overwatch, errortrap and saver. I think there was a script log, I'll have to check later when I'm on my computer. I use saver to 'save as' every hour real time and when the plants disappeared, I tried loading one of the older saves from just before the last time I had one of my sims use the tractor. When the game loaded, he was paused heading to the tractor but the plants were all gone :'(
  • Options
    lowpolygallowpolygal Posts: 422 Member
    I remember being frustraded after Seasons patch because it came with the bug in build/buy mode, if you entered one of those modes upon returning to live mode it would came the fateful crash... it was so infuriating!
    Fortunately it got fixed and now I know how to avoid other pesky bugs... although if I'm being honest, I don't remember having lots of bugs that weren't caused by cc or mods to begin with.
    zDZ4NFB.png
    I have a Simblr
  • Options
    MazakeenMazakeen Posts: 440 Member
    Yes... ...I can well remember the times I had to push needles into my eyes, to fight off the wish of doing irrational things... ...after playing with, fighting with, repairing and trashing, sleeping with, and having dinner and drinks with computers since 1984... ...-at least, computers are allowed to utterly destroy and burn.
    -But it still hurts... ...every, single, time a world/family breaks down.

-There is a certain charm to it though... trying out new things, like modding, just like sun and moon comes up and goes down, -eventually it will break down. Again...
    ie62Ymx.jpg
    Rawwrr...
  • Options
    Faerie197Faerie197 Posts: 1,077 Member
    I've had more games then I care to think about get corrupted or otherwise lost. In fact I've yet to get a game to 3rd generation because of that. Even so, Sims 3 is very fun. While it's frustrating to have to restart a household (again), I enjoy starting new families. And since each game is different in various ways, I don't mind as much as I could. Unlike when my 30+ hour save game for Final Fantasy 10 (for example) gets lost.
    Fear not the fae, for they are harmless. Anger not the fae, beware their wraith. Harm not the fae, fear the Faerie Knight.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    @igazor I have overwatch, errortrap and saver. I think there was a script log, I'll have to check later when I'm on my computer. I use saver to 'save as' every hour real time and when the plants disappeared, I tried loading one of the older saves from just before the last time I had one of my sims use the tractor. When the game loaded, he was paused heading to the tractor but the plants were all gone :'(
    This may sound off the wall, but before we look at the script logs take out GoHere, clear the scriptCache file, and try that save again if you could. A side-effect of GoHere is that sims who were in the process of routing to go/do something at the time of game's loadup kind of forget what they were supposed to be doing and their action queues get cleared as the mod injects a different routing mechanism into the game. Usually this isn't a big deal as our own sims can be redirected easily and inactives on their way to work/school or home will probably get pushed to where they were going again.

Although I've never heard of this happening, the tractor may be the other part of the issue. The plants may have gotten caught up in this process and declared corrupt by OW or ErrorTrap when they didn't really need to be.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    @igazor Thanks for your suggestions. Took out GoHere and tried the save, still nothing. Also, just realised the grapes in the greenhouse I built on another lot had also disappeared. Checked my sims 3 folder and there are 5 scripterror logs. I remember the tractor glitched once and disappeared (long before the plants disappeared though) and I got a scripterror notification popup. Deleting the track, putting down a new one and a new tractor solved the issue though.
    Started a new game anyway, playing the legacy save is just too painful at this point and I may delete it.

• Options
    @igazor Thanks for your suggestions. Took out GoHere and tried the save, still nothing. Also, just realised the grapes in the greenhouse I built on another lot had also disappeared. Checked my sims 3 folder and there are 5 scripterror logs. I remember the tractor glitched once and disappeared (long before the plants disappeared though) and I got a scripterror notification popup. Deleting the track, putting down a new one and a new tractor solved the issue though.
    Started a new game anyway, playing the legacy save is just too painful at this point and I may delete it.
    Does that mean you're going to leave the awesome guy in your avatar behind..?
    (just kidding, I can totally relate to this, very frustrating)(not kidding 'bout that guy by the way!)
    5JZ57S6.png