Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Achievement Thread - Guide on how to achieve them

Comments

• Options
    Valgon57Valgon57 Posts: 2,040 Member
    @Me1620 Yes, exploring new gameplay, I pretty agree too. But for absurdly repetitive one I feel to cheat a bit lol It's like.. this is my game anyway and I mod it all I like, besides it's kinda fun to tinker my own mods so instead of waiting to click for 1000 times I read all the gameplay files, search for relevant keyword to be modded. Can't be done for all achievements but for a couple cases can reduce a lot of waiting time, inflated the reward simoleon, make some random events more likely to happen in 1 try, if later I want normal gameplay just remove the mod. So for me it's equally satisfying and fun (after all they're just numbers anyway :# )
  • Options
    Lexers615Lexers615 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Me1620 wrote: »
    @Valgon57 - It is good to see you! Although I didn't recognize you with the different avatar. I love the list you posted of the scrapped achievements. I still have well over 50 "attainable" in-games ones left. What I like best about the badges is trying to trigger them makes me explore aspects of the game I probably never would have before.

A lot of those actually seems to have been created for that purpose...
    My Studio
    My Traits: Socially Awkward / Artistic / Family Oriented / Hopelessly Romantic / Absent Minded
    Academic Trait: Adventurous
    Social Group Trait (Should I ever become "Nerd" enough): Computer Whiz
    ______
    “Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.” Will Wright
    "Anything that can go wrong will go wrong." Cpt. Edward A. Murphy Jr, USAF
    Exchange_zpsioa8tt1v.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Valgon57 wrote: »
    @Me1620 Yes, exploring new gameplay, I pretty agree too. But for absurdly repetitive one I feel to cheat a bit lol It's like.. this is my game anyway and I mod it all I like, besides it's kinda fun to tinker my own mods so instead of waiting to click for 1000 times I read all the gameplay files, search for relevant keyword to be modded. Can't be done for all achievements but for a couple cases can reduce a lot of waiting time, inflated the reward simoleon, make some random events more likely to happen in 1 try, if later I want normal gameplay just remove the mod. So for me it's equally satisfying and fun (after all they're just numbers anyway :# )

I am somewhat uncomfortable with the idea of modding for achievements, given the somewhat competitive nature of achivements. I don't really care if, for example, someone uses a mod to recover a "lost in limbo" item that was hard earned and is necessary for further progress, or if you fix one of the numerous bugs with a mod, but modding to speed things up or to make an achievement attainable when otherwise one is unable to is more or less cheating. In my list, whenever I used a mod to get a specific achievement, I said so, and there are very very few of them.
    My Studio
    My Traits: Socially Awkward / Artistic / Family Oriented / Hopelessly Romantic / Absent Minded
    ______
    “Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.” Will Wright
    Exchange_zpsioa8tt1v.jpg
  • Options
    Lexers615 wrote: »
    I am somewhat uncomfortable with the idea of modding for achievements, given the somewhat competitive nature of achivements. I don't really care if, for example, someone uses a mod to recover a "lost in limbo" item that was hard earned and is necessary for further progress, or if you fix one of the numerous bugs with a mod, but modding to speed things up or to make an achievement attainable when otherwise one is unable to is more or less cheating. In my list, whenever I used a mod to get a specific achievement, I said so, and there are very very few of them.
    @Lexers615
    I agree that achievement means we have to achieve something, technically the game is repeating every animations until the action period finishes and then we feel like we've been through some experience and glad to get a reward/progress. Sure when we have spare time we would enjoy everything (normal gameplay) sentimental, emotional and such. Let's say instead of waiting while putting the game in ultra speed I use the time to create a mod - a very powerful element of the game and officially supported by the system. In real life when you create something with your very own hand and then you could see how useful it is I would say that's really satisfying. Instead of collecting stress and emotional pressure I fight it with a hand made catalyst, a game should be fun and we try to find a better solution because we're human (and don't forget we have every right to make our own game delightful) :)
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    @Lexers615
    I agree that achievement means we have to achieve something, technically the game is repeating every animations until the action period finishes and then we feel like we've been through some experience and glad to get a reward/progress. Sure when we have spare time we would enjoy everything (normal gameplay) sentimental, emotional and such. Let's say instead of waiting while putting the game in ultra speed I use the time to create a mod - a very powerful element of the game and officially supported by the system. In real life when you create something with your very own hand and then you could see how useful it is I would say that's really satisfying. Instead of collecting stress and emotional pressure I fight it with a hand made catalyst, a game should be fun and we try to find a better solution because we're human (and don't forget we have every right to make our own game delightful) :)

Well... Does that mod gives you an advantage over somebody using a "working as intended" version of the game? If so, IMHO, use it as much as you want except for achievements. Otherwise, most Platinum achievement become as easy on a modded version than bronze ones are on un-modded version.
    My Studio
    ______
    Exchange_zpsioa8tt1v.jpg
  • Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,923 Member
    @Lexers615

Well... Does that mod gives you an advantage over somebody using a "working as intended" version of the game? If so, IMHO, use it as much as you want except for achievements. Otherwise, most Platinum achievement become as easy on a modded version than bronze ones are on un-modded version.

Who is going to check how many achievements someone else has completed?

I don't care about the achievements of others in this game. It is a game and is meant to be fun.

I have regular NRAAS mods and other mods that add things to my game.

I have no idea if they help me with achievements. I don't care.

Every so often I go on an achievements binge and complete a few.

I mostly play off line and know for a fact I've completed a lot of achievements during game play when I'm not logged on so haven't got the badges. So I have to remember how I did it and try to replicate it when I get around to logging in.

I find the info in this thread very useful as it gives me a sense that I might actually manage to achieve some of them by planning to do it and therefore I get logged in and do get a badge or two. Without the info in this useful thread I probably wouldn't bother logging in to see if I could complete an achievement.

I think I went for a couple of years not bothering about achievements until I saw this thread and subsequently completed a few.

I've not done any for a few weeks now but hope to get back to it one day.

I suspect following the tips in this thread are as much of a cheat as using a mod because you don't have to work it out for yourself.

Without this thread I wouldn't be even bothering to try as I play to have fun not to be frustrated by not managing to achieve some goal set by someone else because I haven't yet worked out the 'trick' of it.

If someone has learned to make mods - I suspect that is an achievement in itself.

I probably have the skills to write mods myself as I have earned an income as a computer programmer for about 20 years -but I don't write mods because I've never bothered to look into it.

Thank you for the thread with the great info in it - I appreciate it.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    @Lexers615
    Judge-y much? If people use your guide to finish their achievements then you clearly give them some advantages so... their achievements have less value, because they get help and achievements should be pure personal effort just as intended originally? When people use motherlode to build a beautiful house than that's an advantage than others who earn simoleon using jobs, professions, and hobbies as intended. Buydebug, CFE, and MOO are advance cheats for pro users, of course they have more advantages than a lot of regular users, are they considered as cheaters? What about advantages in a form of skill, talent, brain, money, and high-end PC? Everyone has their own play-style.

Karritz is right, why we should compare everything with other people and why we should be burdened to complete them all? I earned almost everything by carefully planning since the pre-release patch of each EP (except IP), grouping achievements that could be done simultaneously so I know when to make a checkpoint save game or start achievements with same type/category (like Showtime professions, jobs, etc) together. I printed everything on paper and solved them with a couple sims as fast as I can after getting a new EP, not with some guide from other people. Using S3PE, I went through the gameplay files researching the mechanism of strange achievements all by my self.

Platinum or bronze is just a label, it's much more worthy if you can make a strategy and literal achievements yourself. For example, cool down time to next Simport is so long, I could make a simple xml-tuning mod to reduce it to nothing, I made it a couple sim-minutes so my sim can get home first. I uploaded the mod so my friend can use it too and we waste no time. What is the difference between waiting the whole sim-day and altering it with mod (once again mod is supported officially)? That you're willing to wait and drain your actual fun bar? For me no thanks I should control the game not otherwise.
    @Karritz
    As long as you use the same save when you connect/login it should recognize your achievements and unlock them at your SimPage. I don't use NRAAS mod but it doesn't specifically help anything with achievements I think :)
    Post edited by Valgon57 on
  • Options
    scillakeesscillakees Posts: 1,112 Member
    Thank you for doing this. It is nice to have it all in one place. I've been trying for the "Nice Arm" achievement for months. Now I see that it is bugged. Has anyone at all had success with this one? Or should I just give up on this one?
  • Options
    scillakees wrote: »
    Thank you for doing this. It is nice to have it all in one place. I've been trying for the "Nice Arm" achievement for months. Now I see that it is bugged. Has anyone at all had success with this one? Or should I just give up on this one?

I have yet to find somebody who got it in the last 3 years... Looks like it got messed up by some update...
    My Studio
    ______
    Exchange_zpsioa8tt1v.jpg
  • Options
    Thanks for answering. Too bad, but it's good to know it's really broken. I had been trying everything I could think of to get that one to go through. lol Oh well, there are quite a few others I can still get.
  • Options
    Thanks for answering. Too bad, but it's good to know it's really broken. I had been trying everything I could think of to get that one to go through. lol Oh well, there are quite a few others I can still get.

Well... For me, I finished all the feasible ingame achievement, finished the online friends achievement, and started working on the recommendations ones. Getting 1.5k recommendations for creations seems like a huge step though. I'd love if they fixed the bugged ones and/or add again (some of) the removed one. However, as some other simmers pointed out, since EA reassigned the The Sim 3 dev staff elsewhere, that's unlikely to happen, even if it would only mean about 10 work hours overall to fix the main ones... (For example, search online for the "Hermit Crab" achievement. It was supposed to be added back with what would have been the last ITF update, which ended up never being released, meaning it's probably ready, somewhere, and just not published...)
    My Studio
    ______
    Exchange_zpsioa8tt1v.jpg
  • Options
    Yes, there are quite a few of them that I missed out on too. I didn't start playing online until I learned about the achievements a bit over a year or so ago. They are still selling the game, yet they've all but completely abandoned the service side of it. But then again, I'm not sure I really want them messing with it. Especially the way last patch come out of the blue and tied it to Origin. I'll just focus on getting as many as I can.
  • Options
    Me1620Me1620 Posts: 4,996 Member
    ... They are still selling the game, yet they've all but completely abandoned the service side of it.
    I also only recently decided to go after the badges that I had not achieved while just going about normal game play. I decided before they abandoned the website totally, I wanted to at least give it my best shot. This is the same reason I recently fill in my Simport passport.
    a.k.a. - Jodi and a link to My Page on the Sims 3 website

To help you organize your stalking of the Daily Deal, please join us on the Daily Deal Rotation and Sales Help thread and please view the DD Spreadsheet
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    This is the same reason I recently fill in my Simport passport.

I remember that part! ;)
    My Studio
    ______
    Exchange_zpsioa8tt1v.jpg
  • Options
    ... They are still selling the game, yet they've all but completely abandoned the service side of it.
    I also only recently decided to go after the badges that I had not achieved while just going about normal game play. I decided before they abandoned the website totally, I wanted to at least give it my best shot. This is the same reason I recently fill in my Simport passport.

I haven't attempted any of the Simport stuff yet. I have been having fun doing the achievements. They've made me play aspects of the game I've never tried before.
  • Options

I haven't attempted any of the Simport stuff yet. I have been having fun doing the achievements. They've made me play aspects of the game I've never tried before.

Well, simply put, the Simport is highly repetitive (doing fifteen show abroad for each of the three performers at various levels, plus hosting nine shows at each of of the five venues, including the "Big Show" venue, that is not native to most neighborhood and usually have to be set up yourself, and, of course, not including bugs here and there). Pro: getting the Simport stamps challenges DO give you rewards (it unlocks existing in game items that are not otherwise accessible); con: problem is, whenever you are ready, available and willing to Simport doesn't means your friends are, and doesn't mean EA's server will be working as expected, as the Simport sever, that deals with the performance has a lot of issues), so expect at best getting three hosting "stamps" and two "sending" stamps per evening, unless you find yourself some friends that you can make extensive coordination together. *IF* you plan on playing the performers professions a lot, the rewards help slightly (various stage props that complete existing sets, and critics do like when prop match together onstage, and, as an extra, you can use the props at home, as sims can sit on many of them, and they are good looking, to a Sim's eyes).

However, the achievement regarding Simports are A LOT less painful (first: with a single family, host at least once each of the performer types in a performing parks, second: send the same performer (gotta be non-occult!) at least once to each venue types of a single friend).
    My Studio
    ______
    Exchange_zpsioa8tt1v.jpg
  • Options
    Me1620Me1620 Posts: 4,996 Member

I remember that part! ;)

I would still be going after stamps if you hadn't hosted or sent so many Sims my way.

I just earned "Steal with Style" for stealing candy from babies (my sim stole mainly from toddlers as Lexers noted we can do). I noticed something as a consequence of going for the badge. I had queued up stealing candy from one particular toddler. When my sim finished stealing candy about 10 times in a row, he suddenly went from muscular and fit, to quite chunky. There should have been a follow-up badge to "Lose with Flair" to get back to pre-lollipop weight.

a.k.a. - Jodi and a link to My Page on the Sims 3 website

To help you organize your stalking of the Daily Deal, please join us on the Daily Deal Rotation and Sales Help thread and please view the DD Spreadsheet
  • Options
    Thanks for the heads up. It sounds like a real pain to plan. So there are more props to be unlocked through simport? I didn't know that. Hopefully it will still be functional when I get around to being able to do it. :s
  • Options

I remember that part! ;)

I would still be going after stamps if you hadn't hosted or sent so many Sims my way.

I just earned "Steal with Style" for stealing candy from babies (my sim stole mainly from toddlers as Lexers noted we can do). I noticed something as a consequence of going for the badge. I had queued up stealing candy from one particular toddler. When my sim finished stealing candy about 10 times in a row, he suddenly went from muscular and fit, to quite chunky. There should have been a follow-up badge to "Lose with Flair" to get back to pre-lollipop weight.

I loved that one. Once I realized what was happening I laughed so hard. I made him work out to lose the weight. But by then he was so obsessed with stealing candy that he never completely got it off again. He was a terrible sim, served him right.
  • Options
    Besides, stealing "with style" from babies and toddlers? ;) lol
    My Studio
    ______
    Exchange_zpsioa8tt1v.jpg
  • Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,923 Member
    There is a mod to unlock the simport rewards.
  • Options
    ThrippaThrippa Posts: 678 Member
    I used the mod for the simport rewards because I was having no luck with actually travelling my Sims, let alone getting any to travel to me.

I got the 'Nice Arm' on September 12, 2013, so just about exactly 3 years ago. 'Fraid I don't remember the details at this point; it may well be it glitched sometime after that date.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Thrippa wrote: »
    I got the 'Nice Arm' on September 12, 2013, so just about exactly 3 years ago. 'Fraid I don't remember the details at this point; it may well be it glitched sometime after that date.

I did spend some time, last spring, looking the badge collection of quite a lot of players on TS3.com, and I also looked for some players who were posting about achievements and such, and, out of possibly 100 players checked, I couldn't find anyone getting either "Nice Arm!" or "Who keeps sending theses?" in the last months/years, so that's why I'm confident saying that those two were bugged by a subsequent update.
    My Studio
    ______
    Exchange_zpsioa8tt1v.jpg
  • Options
    I know I'll be slightly off topic, but an important debate is taking place in this thread, about upcoming changes to the forum. I think everyone should take a few minutes to read about it:
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/899806/ask-a-guru-thread-and-community-engagement/
    My Studio
    ______
    Exchange_zpsioa8tt1v.jpg
  • Options
    ThrippaThrippa Posts: 678 Member
    Thrippa wrote: »

I did spend some time, last spring, looking the badge collection of quite a lot of players on TS3.com, and I also looked for some players who were posting about achievements and such, and, out of possibly 100 players checked, I couldn't find anyone getting either "Nice Arm!" or "Who keeps sending theses?" in the last months/years, so that's why I'm confident saying that those two were bugged by a subsequent update.

Not happy to hear that, as I don't have "Who keeps sending these?" yet. I don't suppose you have an idea if they were doing in in Isla Paradiso or with planted bottles?

*goes to check suggested thread*

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top