Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Lot Building Contest - Winners have been selected!

Comments

• Options
    missroxormissroxor Posts: 392 Member
    edited July 2016
    wow, thank-you :D and congrats to @Kylieb191 and everyone who took part!
    OK, guys. At the moment I have enough to award @missroxor her first place prize, and only a little bit more. I am going to earn some more points now, and then I will be able to give more of the rest of you your prizes. But right now, I want to make sure I have enough for her. :)

I hope that's OK. I should have enough points in a few days to be able to gift everyone else at that time. At least, I hope so! :D

I'd really appreciate Sunlit Tides gold please. http://store.thesims3.com/myWishlist.html?persona=missroxor Don't worry about doing mine first though, I don't mind waiting. I actually have a big interview next week to prepare for and having a new world to explore sounds a lot like an irresistible excuse to procrastinate the weekend away! lol. So as much as I hate to admit it, a small delay would actually be better for me because I have zero self control!

Thanks again for hosting @MiaSkywalker, I really enjoyed getting back into building.
  • Options
    SjappielovePaulSjappielovePaul Posts: 4,794 Member
    missroxor wrote: »
    OK, guys. At the moment I have enough to award @missroxor her first place prize, and only a little bit more. I am going to earn some more points now, and then I will be able to give more of the rest of you your prizes. But right now, I want to make sure I have enough for her. :)

I hope that's OK. I should have enough points in a few days to be able to gift everyone else at that time. At least, I hope so! :D

I'd really appreciate Sunlit Tides gold please. http://store.thesims3.com/myWishlist.html?persona=missroxor Don't worry about doing mine first though, I don't mind waiting. I actually have a big interview next week to prepare for and having a new world to explore sounds a lot like an irresistible excuse to procrastinate the weekend away! lol. So as much as I hate to admit it, a small delay would actually be better for me because I have zero self control!

Thanks again for hosting @MiaSkywalker, I really enjoyed getting back into building.

Hahaha, I so love it when I recognize myself in other peoples statements :#
    Don't forget to take care of yourself every now and then in this big chaotic world!
    pkJ66Kv.png
    Some links that helped me a lot:
    Missing Store Stencils / Free Kiddy Stuff / Daily Deals / Daily Deals Spreadsheets / The Gifting Directory
  • Options
    TeaniasTeanias Posts: 2,160 Member
    edited July 2016
    @MiaSkywalker thank you for the compliment I never thought to do that with the hot tub either until I did it! They technically are on islands in the pool but they do look like they're in it don't they!

@HSmith2016 I find looking at house plans helps to build some houses as well and when you look at them you find a lot are just square or rectangular and in those cases it is all in the little details that changes the style! I also find sometimes it is better to build a house room by room instead of building the outside and then adding walls to the outside! Like a lot of times I'll start with what shape I want the entry to be then whatever ever room is next to it more like I an walking through the house and drawing rooms as I go along instead of building a house!
  • Options
    Teanias wrote: »
    @HSmith2016 I find looking at house plans helps to build some houses as well and when you look at them you find a lot are just square or rectangular and in those cases it is all in the little details that changes the style! I also find sometimes it is better to build a house room by room instead of building the outside and then adding walls to the outside! Like a lot of times I'll start with what shape I want the entry to be then whatever ever room is next to it more like I an walking through the house and drawing rooms as I go along instead of building a house!

Well houseplans I don't often use, but once I discovered the beauty of decorations my buildings started to look better :) also I'm a bit of a cozy corner person myself so I just can't really make boxes, I did a few a while ago but didn't really like them, lol!

For me it really was a matter of time and putting in way more details. Also I need to be in a building mood lol! If not I get impatient and rush things. Rushing = no good eye for details.
    Don't forget to take care of yourself every now and then in this big chaotic world!
    pkJ66Kv.png
    Missing Store Stencils / Free Kiddy Stuff / Daily Deals / Daily Deals Spreadsheets / The Gifting Directory
  • Options
    HollyL73HollyL73 Posts: 1,452 Member
    All great ideas for building houses that I will definitely try out! I hadn't really thought to use actual house plans, that actually might be a really good idea for me to do. My husband thinks I spend way too much time invested in the Sims to begin with, I can't imagine what he will think when I start looking at house plans for them, too! :D
  • Options
    MiaSkywalkerMiaSkywalker Posts: 3,436 Member

Haha! Ok, I get that. :D Then I just need to hear from @Hoplass & @Odonata68 , and I can give them theirs. Those are the only two left.

I managed to earn about 500 points today, before the ads began to dry up, but I started rather later than usual. It seems to me that points come faster if I do them earlier in the day. (Pacific time, that is.) I will need quite a few more, but at least I know how many I will need to save up to get @missroxor her prize. :)

So, you two, let me know what you want, OK? :)
  • Options
    HSmith2016 wrote: »
    All great ideas for building houses that I will definitely try out! I hadn't really thought to use actual house plans, that actually might be a really good idea for me to do. My husband thinks I spend way too much time invested in the Sims to begin with, I can't imagine what he will think when I start looking at house plans for them, too! :D
    TOO MUCH TIME IN THE SIMS? BLASPHEMY! ;) Actually, if you're looking at floor plans, he might get worried that you want to buy a new house! Then it would be a relief to him that you're just doing it for the Sims, wouldn't it? :D
  • Options
    Odonata68Odonata68 Posts: 1,076 Member
    edited July 2016
    @MiaSkywalker Hmm... I would't mind having the bakery, if that's ok. It looks like it would be a lot of fun. B) But, like I mentioned before, I'm not in any hurry. I just really appreciate you hosting this contest and giving everyone the opportunity to win something. It's very generous and I had fun and met some nice people here on the forums.
  • Options
    Odonata68 wrote: »
    @MiaSkywalker Hmm... I would't mind having the bakery, if that's ok. It looks like it would be a lot of fun. B) But, like I mentioned before, I'm not in any hurry. I just really appreciate you hosting this contest and giving everyone the opportunity to win something. It's very generous and I had fun and met some nice people here on the forums.
    Oh, that's right, Hoplass said she wanted the bakery as well, and because I'm so scatter-brained today, I forgot. D'oh! Ok, bakeries coming up for both of you!

Btw, although I have never used the venue, I LOVE the baking station. Chocolate pies! Yum! :D (I just wish they had given us chocolate cake, too. But except for birthday and wedding cakes, we don't get cake. :( )
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    snip..

Btw, although I have never used the venue, I LOVE the baking station. Chocolate pies! Yum! :D (I just wish they had given us chocolate cake, too. But except for birthday and wedding cakes, we don't get cake. :( )

WHAT!!! No chocolate cake!!! :s Well, I just hope there's a mod out there somewhere to fix this injustice!! :D
    54f6599f1dd5f_-_recipe-chocolate-layer-cake-0110-shlilw-xl.jpg
    How could they miss that?
  • Options
    imdragonitimdragonit Posts: 1,019 Member
    @Odonata68 & @MiaSkywalker ok you two, now my husband's gonna think I've lost it again, because I'm sitting at the computer giggling again!
  • Options
    Oh, I had meant to ask you earlier, and I forgot. My game replaced all the inside doors with an ugly default door, and I was wondering what you had actually used for the inside doors.

Screenshot-41_zpspfxmtyjl.jpg

I'm sure it wasn't your build, since it has happened with other builds, and I ALWAYS end up with these same doors. I want to replace them, but I don't know what you used. My usual doors for medieval builds are the Chamber door, Grim's door (the regular one, NOT the life and death one, of course! :D ), the one that comes with the Happily Ever After set, and occasionally the Rassin' Frassin' door.

Did you use one of those, or something else?
  • Options
    WHAT!!! No chocolate cake!!! :s Well, I just hope there's a mod out there somewhere to fix this injustice!! :D

There has been a surprising dearth of custom food mods in Sims 3 compared to Sims 2, although there are quite a few that have come out since Douglas Viega created CC Loader. (Douglas Viega is a god! <3 ) There IS a mod to change what the default birthday cake looks like, and it's very cool, but it doesn't add other cakes into the game.

It's as though EA said that cakes are only for birthdays and weddings, and you can't have them at other times. :(
  • Options

There has been a surprising dearth of custom food mods in Sims 3 compared to Sims 2, although there are quite a few that have come out since Douglas Viega created CC Loader. (Douglas Viega is a god! <3 ) There IS a mod to change what the default birthday cake looks like, and it's very cool, but it doesn't add other cakes into the game.

It's as though EA said that cakes are only for birthdays and weddings, and you can't have them at other times. :(

To be honest for me those are the only times to eat cake (unless you mean the Dutch type of cake offcourse) except for those guilty moments in the supermarket where I let myself go and buy a piece of cake to eat somewhere in an alley or behind bushes (just kidding, those spots I save for my chocolate rushes :s)
    pkJ66Kv.png
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    See these are what cakes look like here;

Roomboter-cake-Naturel.jpg

All pies and round cakes are usually called taart ;) unless they're small like cupcakes, we might occasinally call it cakejes.

You guys must think Dutch is a crazy language right now, lol.
    pkJ66Kv.png
  • Options
    missroxormissroxor Posts: 392 Member
    edited July 2016
    Oh, I had meant to ask you earlier, and I forgot. My game replaced all the inside doors with an ugly default door, and I was wondering what you had actually used for the inside doors.

Screenshot-41_zpspfxmtyjl.jpg

I'm sure it wasn't your build, since it has happened with other builds, and I ALWAYS end up with these same doors. I want to replace them, but I don't know what you used. My usual doors for medieval builds are the Chamber door, Grim's door (the regular one, NOT the life and death one, of course! :D ), the one that comes with the Happily Ever After set, and occasionally the Rassin' Frassin' door.

Did you use one of those, or something else?
    Oh no, that door looks so out of place there! >_< I used the 'Private Study Door' from the Hewnsman set :)http://store.thesims3.com/productDetail.html?productId=OFB-SIM3:17054&scategoryId=11570

if you're missing that, are you missing the whole Hewnsman set? Because I think I also used these:
    Treasure box decor on a kitchen shelf - http://store.thesims3.com/productDetail.html?productId=OFB-SIM3:17106
    Drawers in kids bedroom - http://store.thesims3.com/productDetail.html?productId=OFB-SIM3:17063
    and I don't remember which bookcase I used in the livingroom but it was possibly this one - http://store.thesims3.com/productDetail.html?productId=OFB-SIM3:17017
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    @MiaSkywalker Thank you so, so much for the bakery!! <3 I can't wait to try it! Maybe EA was trying to keep it simple with the cakes from a programming/gameplay point of view. Who knows lol. Well, I'm not gonna complain because dessert is dessert right? ;)
    To be honest for me those are the only times to eat cake (unless you mean the Dutch type of cake offcourse) except for those guilty moments in the supermarket where I let myself go and buy a piece of cake to eat somewhere in an alley or behind bushes (just kidding, those spots I save for my chocolate rushes :s)

Lol! Speaking of guilty moments, I've been on way too many late night "chocolate runs" (for my husband) o:) than I care to mention. And that cake you pictured looks like a "pound cake" here. I'm not sure why it's called that. Maybe because it weighs a pound. lol A slice of that with strawberries and whipped cream on top = yummmm.
    5532003313_44f8dbaa0f_o.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Oh no, that door looks so out of place there! >_< I used the 'Private Study Door' from the Hewnsman set :)http://store.thesims3.com/productDetail.html?productId=OFB-SIM3:17054&scategoryId=11570

if you're missing that, are you missing the whole Hewnsman set? Because I think I also used these:
    Treasure box decor on a kitchen shelf - http://store.thesims3.com/productDetail.html?productId=OFB-SIM3:17106
    Drawers in kids bedroom - http://store.thesims3.com/productDetail.html?productId=OFB-SIM3:17063
    and I don't remember which bookcase I used in the livingroom but it was possibly this one - http://store.thesims3.com/productDetail.html?productId=OFB-SIM3:17017
    That door looks nice! I don't recall ever seeing it in my game. Yet... my game says that set is installed. :( I'm betting this is one of those cases where not everything gets installed if you do the whole set, but you have to do a few parts ahead of time, if you really want the whole set. And it would explain why this has happened to me before, too.

I don't recall if I saw those two items - the dresser and the little treasure chest - in your build. There were a lot of little details in everyone's build that I don't remember, even if I saw everything as I was going through.

If I don't have that door to replace it with, I'll just replace it with another. I don't know what else I can do, since my game insists that the door is there. :(

Edit: I also don't recall ever seeing that bookcase before. I would know if I had, because it would work very well in medieval builds. I tend to use the Vineyard Vittles Bookcase for most medieval homes, and sometimes the Backwoods Bookshelf if a home is more rustic. There's also a really short, single-square bookshelf that I don't recall what it's called, from one of the EPs, that I sometimes use. And that explains why sometimes I find really odd bookshelves (like the one from Back to Skool) occasionally in a medieval build that I download, too. :(

I don't know how to force my game to install that set. It apparently isn't in my game, even though my launcher insists that it is. I'm not sure how to fix that. :(
  • Options
    HoplassHoplass Posts: 369 Member
    Hahaha, indeed. Never too much cake!
    And thanks a lot for the bakery, I think I will use the baking station a lot too :D:D:D.
  • Options
    Kylieb191Kylieb191 Posts: 4,653 Member
    edited July 2016
    @MiaSkywalker I still didn't show you the finished product after your tutorial, did I? you've just reminded me lol. I haven't really finished yet but i'm taking my time with it :)

Real House:
    download_zpsnfgnsmnx.png

Sim House:
    Screenshot-25_zpswzelp2lm.jpg
    Screenshot-26_zpsllwx4yvo.jpg
    Screenshot-24_zps6rvnlau1.jpg
    Friends?: http://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/Kylierose19
    Proud member of the "I own the store" club
    Zpj9msL.png
    The real me:https://twitter.com/CupidStupidLov3
  • Options
    imdragonitimdragonit Posts: 1,019 Member
    @Kylieb191 You've got that one down pat! Lovely house.
  • Options
    Kylieb191Kylieb191 Posts: 4,653 Member
    edited July 2016
    imdragonit wrote: »

Thank you so much @imdragonit ^_^ it means a lot as its another first, with using house plans lol. I have taken off the top window bit at the front and put half wall on the chimney to make it more tidier "complete" now :).
    Friends?: http://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/Kylierose19
    Proud member of the "I own the store" club
    Zpj9msL.png
    The real me:https://twitter.com/CupidStupidLov3
  • Options
    Kylieb191 wrote: »
    imdragonit wrote: »

Thank you so much @imdragonit ^_^ it means a lot as its another first, with using house plans lol. I have taken off the top window bit at the front and put half wall on the chimney to make it more tidier "complete" now :).
    I think you did really well with it! You even got the roof parts fixed. :) It doesn't look exactly like the original; it has your own style in it as well. That chimney-ish bit in the front is rather intriguing, for instance. :)
  • Options
    TeaniasTeanias Posts: 2,160 Member
    @Kylieb191 great job you definitely captured the feel of the original and improved it a bit to! :)
  • Options
    Teanias wrote: »
    @Kylieb191 great job you definitely captured the feel of the original and improved it a bit to! :)

^^ What she said. ;)