Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Lot Building Contest - Winners have been selected!

MiaSkywalkerMiaSkywalker Posts: 3,436 Member
edited July 2016 in The Sims 3 Store Gifting
Entries are CLOSED! Judging has been completed. :)
The winners are... First place to both @Kylieb191 & @missroxor ! :)
I am giving everyone else who entered a venue or world of their choice, and each of the first place winners gets a gold world or two venues. :)

I already own the store, and I keep getting a lot of simpoint ads, so I've decided to hold a contest and give a lot of stuff away. I really stink at building, so that's what I'm going to ask for. :)

PRIZES
First Place: Any venue or standard world (simpoint purchasable only), or about 2000 points worth of other items if the winner already has all the venues and worlds.*
Second Place: Up to 1000 simpoints worth of items.
Third Place: Up to 500 points worth of items.
I will also gift something small (75 points or fewer) for everyone who enters something that I like to this contest. Which will probably be everyone.

*If the venue the winner wants costs less than 2000 points, then I will also include other items to make up the difference.

Those are the MINIMUM prizes. If a lot of people enter this (a dozen or more), I may increase them in the following way:
First Place: Two venues or standard simpoint purchased worlds (or combination thereof), or a GOLD world that is simpoint purchasable, or up to 4000 points worth of items.
Second Place: A venue or standard world, or up to 2000 points of items
Third place will be increased proportionally, and I will even add a fourth and fifth place.
Remember that these changes are not guaranteed; it depends upon if we get a lot of entries, and if the simpoints keep coming to me. But if there are a lot of entries, then I will feel my investment of time in watching the ads will be well worth increasing the prizes for people. :)

If one of the winners doesn't have a wishlist and already owns everything they want, they can point me to someone else's wishlist instead.

Entry Form:
User name on this site
User name (and link to profile) on the original Sims 3 site
Name of the lot and its theme
Please post pictures in the thread! I would really like to see these as they are being built.

Once you have an Exchange link to your entry, please post it as well. If you have to modify it and reupload, please post the new link, if it is different.

Judging:

I will start judging on July 2nd. I will probably be getting input from others too, but the final decision will be mine as to which one(s) I like most. It may take a couple of weeks to judge them all, because I will test all of the entries in game.

I may also give an extension if there are extenuating circumstances for anyone, but please don't abuse it. I can be pretty laid back about things, but I also don't like being taken advantage of.

Oh, and... my favourite color is purple, any shade or variant, including lilac, lavender, magenta, violet, etc., which means I'm also going to have a bias towards homes with things with that color. ;)
Post edited by MiaSkywalker on

Comments

• MiaSkywalkerMiaSkywalker Posts: 3,436 Member
    edited May 2016
    The DOs:

1. This contest is for a RESIDENTIAL lot, with no residents. Small to medium size, up to 40x40. 50x50 is also OK, but is not preferred.

2. I am mostly looking for a European medieval style. It can be Celtic, Viking, French, German, Finnish, Dutch, Russian... whatever. :) I also like Mediterranean and Asian, or even something fantastic, such as fantasy, futuristic, or comic book. What I am NOT looking for is anything modern or standard American or European. If it looks like it would fit in our world in the last hundred or so years, then that's not what I want.

3. Please include a basement! Inevitably I will want to add one if I play with a lot, and sometimes I will find an absolutely beautiful lot, where it's absolutely impossible for me to add a basement without ruining it. If you add a basement, then I'll know it's possible for me to expand it when I need to. :) How ever you want to do the stairs to the basement is fine with me. You can forego a foundation and use a spiral staircase or ladder, or you can have a foundation and do the trick where you have a small set of stairs and a large set of stairs. (I have never gotten this to work properly myself, but I know it can be done.) Not a CFE basement. I mean a basement created with the basement tool.

4. Try to use items inside the house that fit the theme, not just make the structure itself look this way and then put the insides all modern. Once again, not what I'm looking for.

5. Make sure all areas and things are routable and usable! I will test each entry in the game, and if things aren't properly usable, or if my Sims give me route failure tantrums trying to go somewhere, that will count against it. Bad routing causes lag in game, even if the lot isn't being used for my own sims.

6. Any expansion, stuff pack, or store item is allowed! (Other than anything I'm specifically disallowing below.) I have all expansions and stuff packs, and I own the store. So no limits! Obviously, some sets and expansions will fit better than others; using Supernatural, Dragon Valley, and the Make a Wish set is going to make me like the lot more! :)

7. You can go for a high class look, a poverty stricken look, or middle class, but once again, NOT MODERN.

8. This should be a NEW lot, not something already up on the Exchange. My hope is to reward people for coming up with something new that I will want to use. :)
    edited June 2016
    The DON'Ts:

1. Please, no CFE. I know a lot of experienced builders love to use it, and they make some amazing lots, but always, without fail, at some point in my game I will want to make some edits to the home, and if CFE was used this can be impossible.

2. No CC or CAP. I do use CC in my game, but I prefer to control what I get, and I find that with all the expansions and store items, I rarely ever need to use it. I WILL use Custard to check these, and if there's CC it will be disqualified. (Although you will be allowed to remove the CC and resubmit it to the Exchange.) Edit: Modified this restriction to allow CAP.

3. If you're doing a medieval (which is what I really want, so I will admit that I will tend to be biased towards those) or historical lot, no TVs, computers, microwaves, or elevators.

4. Unless you're doing a futuristic or comic book style, please don't include a lot of technology.

5. Please don't upgrade any of the items. I like to have my Sims do that, either to practice their handiness or their magic. :)

6. Don't use the ALT key or MOO to set any items that have to actually be used by Sims. (Deco items are fine.) When you see weird glitchiness in your Sims, such as where your Sim's arms are behind his back while he works at his inventing station, or he's standing inside his bass while he plays it, it's usually because the builder or player set the item down using the Alt key. I've been experimenting, and have a (incomplete so far) list of items that you should absolutely never use the Alt key or MOO for. So unless it's deco, no Alt key or MOO to set down items, even to avoid clipping with drapes or something. I'd rather have clipping with my furniture than see my Sims all twisty and distorted. Edit: Alt may be used when placing chairs, couches, or tables with chairs. As far as I can tell, there's no problem with seating placed with the ALT key.

7. Please have decorations that fit the theme. Sometimes I've looked at a medieval style home to find a modern poster on the wall, and that's jarring.

8. Please don't use the fairy house or castle. I hate how it takes over all my faeries' wishes.

9. No spawners or fog emitters. I know these can have an awesome effect, but if you have to turn the lot in order to place it, both of those double EACH time it is turned. Both of them can cause a great deal of extra lag in the game, so even though it's a shame to have to disallow them, I really don't want to add to game lag.
    edited July 2016
    1) @imdragonit;
    Wishlist
    Entry: Merchant's home
    Awarded: Lucky Palms

2) @SjappielovePaul;
    No wishlist, using HSmith2016's
    Entry: Stoke Farm
    HSmith2016 awarded Lunar Lakes

3) @Kylieb191;
    Wishlist
    Entry: Desimfort Castle
    FIRST PLACE - REWARD IS GOLD WORLD OR TWO VENUES
    Awarded: Aurora Skies Gold

4) @Odonata68 ;
    Wishlist
    Entry: Burroughs Farm
    Awarded: Deliciously Indulgent Bakery

5) @Hoplass ;
    Wishlist
    Entry: Willow Tree Farm
    Awarded: Deliciously Indulgent Bakery

6) @Teanias;
    Wishlist
    Entry: Villa Albero di Agrumi
    Awarded: Homecoming

7) @renyerookami ;
    Wishlist
    Entry: European medieval castle
    Awarded: Grim's Ghastly Manor

8) @missroxor ;
    Wishlist
    Entry: Rodel Farmhouse
    FIRST PLACE - REWARD IS GOLD WORLD OR TWO VENUES
    Awarded: Sunlit Tides Gold
  • cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
    What a great chance to really challenge simmers! You might edit your title to peak interest by advertising your grand prize. "Win any world/venue" would draw more viewers into your thread or "Medieval Dreams" might peak interest too. Combining the two "Medieval Dreams...Win ANY venue/world" could be the way to get the interest you need. I would find this a great challenge and just might try to find something to sim for you. Good luck!
    edited May 2016
    @ciane: Good idea. Thanks!

And I hope you do enter! I'm hoping to get a lot of people interested; it should be a win-win for everyone. :)
    @renyerookami: I'm looking forward to it! If you'd like to post pics as you're working on it, I will be intrigued to see them. Of course, I can understand if you want to wait until closer to finishing; it's hard to show things in the beginning stages. :)
  • SeriphinaFyieSeriphinaFyie Posts: 3,506 Member
    What an awesome contest! I'm not going to commit to an entry because I already own the store, but do you mind if I share some inspiration pictures? I have a medieval world in progress :)
  • PaigeIvy2000PaigeIvy2000 Posts: 364 Member
    This sounds fun! I'll go into my game now and see if I can think of something... I love building contests but unfortunately I am the worst builder, so I'm hoping that by doing builds with different themes, I can get better at every type of build :)
    What an awesome contest! I'm not going to commit to an entry because I already own the store, but do you mind if I share some inspiration pictures? I have a medieval world in progress :)

@SeriphinaFyie - You know that you can gift anything you win. I would love to see what you'd do with this.

@PaigeIvy2000 - You get better with every build! :)
    ciane wrote: »

@SeriphinaFyie - You know that you can gift anything you win. I would love to see what you'd do with this.

I see what you're doing, telling me I can enter and gift my winnings... playing to my gifting addiction. I'm on to you and your shenanigans...
    Okay, I'll drop down a empty lot and see what happens... <3

Are you going to share these pictures still, or no because you're joining in? Haha. I could really use some inspiration on this, I thought it would be easy but it's actually been quite tough!
    @SeriphinaFyie : I would also love to see what you're doing. You said you're making a medieval world? Wow, I tried to make a world once, but gave up, because I really didn't know what I was doing, so I kept messing things up. Do you have a thread going for your world? I'd love to take a gander at it! You can enter something that you're making for that world into this contest, if you'd like to. I have no objections, as long as it isn't something that has already been on the Exchange. :)

@PaigeIvy2000 : If you enter, I guarantee that I will give you at least a consolation prize. :) I'm planning on giving all entrants something; I have over 8000 points right now that I've gotten from ads, which means I can not only make prizes really good, but I can even gift all entrants. Heck, I may even gift people as we go along... just because. :) Also, you couldn't be ANY worse than I am. I am overly pragmatic, so I end up making... boxes with roofs. Hence this contest, because I can't make lots worth anything.

@renyerookami : Great! Looking forward to seeing it! :heart:

@PaigeIvy2000 : If you enter, I guarantee that I will give you at least a consolation prize. :) I'm planning on giving all entrants something; I have over 8000 points right now that I've gotten from ads, which means I can not only make prizes really good, but I can even gift all entrants. Heck, I may even gift people as we go along... just because. :) Also, you couldn't be ANY worse than I am. I am overly pragmatic, so I end up making... boxes with roofs. Hence this contest, because I can't make lots worth anything.
    Gosh, I totally understand this!!!! Mine turn into boxes with little boxes hanging off, and end up having really great landscaping....for some reason, landscaping I am good at, building..... not so much.

There are sites like houseplans.com where I go for inspiration. Seeing something and trying to capture its essence is so much easier and better in the long run! Yay, Seri! I await your awesomeness. (Go check out Seri's studio. She just uploaded the tower a bit ago and it is gorgeous!)
    edited May 2016
    @SeriphinaFyie : I would also love to see what you're doing. You said you're making a medieval world? Wow, I tried to make a world once, but gave up, because I really didn't know what I was doing, so I kept messing things up. Do you have a thread going for your world? I'd love to take a gander at it! You can enter something that you're making for that world into this contest, if you'd like to. I have no objections, as long as it isn't something that has already been on the Exchange. :)
    I haven't started a thread yet, I will when I have the lite version finished, then just post progress on the builds until completion.... But I can share a few pictures.

First off, here is some excellent music to build to if you're feeling a bit ye olde...

Inspiration pictures eh? I have a few scenic things I can share ;) PICTURE SPAM!! <3 I hope you're ready for ambience and inspiration!

Screenshot-11_zpsnf7f24st.jpg
    Screenshot-41_zpsxnwc3g4x.jpg
    Screenshot-42_zps8ertidcu.jpg
    Screenshot-53_zpsqnikyvwj.jpg
    Screenshot-74_zpsaq3egjr0.jpg
    Screenshot-105_zpswj42yfev.jpg
    Screenshot-59_zpsoyu5yxjw.jpg
    Screenshot-62_zpshqc4bs8o.jpg
    Screenshot-95_zpsj5jf4byz.jpg
    Screenshot-112_zps0qhe77s0.jpg

(if this is too much picture spam, let me know and I'll chop it down more.)
    Post edited by SeriphinaFyie on
    See, now, those are nice houses. Very beautifully medieval. And that world looks lovely. I love how integrated everything feels in it; it feels so organic.

If those are your own creation, and aren't yet on the Exchange, you can enter one of those if you like. Or if you have something else in mind, you can wait and enter that instead. :)
  • Odonata68Odonata68 Posts: 1,076 Member
    I think I may give this a try. I love medieval stuff, too. B)
    edited June 2016
    @Odonata68 : I hope you do! The more entries, the better! :)

Btw, if people who are entering this link their profiles in their signatures, they just might sometimes find themselves with an extra something to help them build. ;)
  • fionaloveserranofionaloveserrano Posts: 584 Member
    Is this contest still going on??

Yes! It just started! Join us!
    Since it just started, yes, it is. :) Are you going to enter? Please do! The more entrants, the better!
    I am!! Could you explain to me how to enter?? and is there a specific kind of house we have to build??
    okay I read the rules with my glasses on this time so I got the info I needed.. Is there any stuff packs or expansions we can't use??
    Nope, I have all expansions and stuff packs (even the Katy Perry monstrosity), as well as all store items, other than a few exclusives like the Dr. Pepper stuff. So all of it is fair game!

Just no CC, which almost goes without saying when uploading something to the Exchange. :)